Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

ironclaw wrote: »
    Always bid the lowest amount, chances are it will be accepted. I got an upgrade for €100 one time. I'm pretty sure it was a system error but I didn't mention it :pac:

where do you put bids on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

where do you put bids on?

I think it depends on the fare you book and your profile. I generally get asked when I book a fare that isn't the bottom saver and I'm travelling alone. Once or twice it was when I booked an exit row.

You get an email shortly after booking and they link you to a site to enter a bid. Pretty sure the company that does it also does it for other airlines.

On the off chance, anyone from these companies reads this thread, I'd happily pay a discount at the airport for an upgrade. Doesn't make sense to me that a seat is empty when an airline could get an extra few hundred euro out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Have Aer Lingus given any indication they will extend the anniversary dates for tier renewal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

niallo32 wrote: »
    Have Aer Lingus given any indication they will extend the anniversary dates for tier renewal?

This is a bit of a stretch, but is there a chance that they've got other priorities right now?

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Noxegon wrote: »
    This is a bit of a stretch, but is there a chance that they've got other priorities right now?

Might also be a stretch but am sure they can do more than one thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Agreed, its a different department

Simple statement would be 'its under review and no one will expire until government restrictions are lifted, we appreciate your loyalty etc... '

That said, do you really think any front line staff are going to refuse you at the check in or lounge in Dublin with an expired card from March next month assuming its still open?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

That said, do you really think any front line staff are going to refuse you at the check in or lounge in Dublin with an expired card from March next month assuming its still open?

I would love to believe that it will be open next month, but I am currently in extreme pessimism mode right now about how long it will be before things get back to normal!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

AerClub has no real competition in Ireland – and their policies are developed on that basis.

Personally I think of it as the Aer Lingus Disloyalty Scheme; I lost my Gold Circle back in the day due to a flight not being credited properly, and as a direct consequence of that I no longer prioritise EI when deciding which airline to use.

Quick update - after some back and forth, they've now refunded the 37k Avios. Credit where credit's due.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Are Avios offering any refunds on flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭samo

Jim Root wrote: »
    Quick update - after some back and forth, they've now refunded the 37k Avios. Credit where credit's due.

I was wondering how you got on with this as had flights with free platinum upgrade and avios for upgrade due to go next week.. it might have been smarter to have taken the voucher in hindsight but rebooked for Sept and wondering will they honour the change, it’s a pure first world problem but would be a bit annoyed to lose 26k avios points...

The new dates are currently under review with EI but for sure other priorities right now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Qprmeath wrote: »
    Are Avios offering any refunds on flights?
    Update- Aer Lingus sent me a form which will get me a voucher for the value of my flight plus 10 percent. This also covers Avios booking. Not sure if I get points back though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Hilton and Marriot have already paused their membership tiers and made solid moves to bolster customer loyalty. This would be customer service 101 and the fact it hasn't happened yet, speaks volumes both to the attitude of EI towards their most frequent customers and their overall organisation efficiency.

ironclaw wrote: »
    Hilton and Marriot have already paused their membership tiers and made solid moves to bolster customer loyalty. This would be customer service 101 and the fact it hasn't happened yet, speaks volumes both to the attitude of EI towards their most frequent customers and their overall organisation efficiency.

Radisson and Best Western has given a blanket 12 month extension.

Simplest thing would be to pause everyone as of March 1st and restart once a reasonable level of ops returns.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Radisson tier extension came too late for me but its quite likely at this stage that the points extension will be required. Realistically not the most important thing right now though!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

I have got mails from Hilton and Marriott both saying that are going to extend my tier renewal date by a year. I guess the airlines have bigger issues right now but I would think they will do the same at some point. I kind of makes more sense for the hotels as it would be easy to start using a different chain if your tiers were back to basic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I've had an email from Lufthansa too stating similar - which was no actual use to me as I've not got enough points to get actual status :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I got an email last week telling me I’ve kept my silver status, it’s probably automatically generated.

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    I got an email last week telling me I’ve kept my silver status, it’s probably automatically generated.

Was that your normal date for renewal or an extension?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭SB Morer

SuperValu rewards vouchers have issued but no bonus whatsoever on conversion to Avios. What’s that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

Just got this from Aerclub:
    We hope you and yours are keeping safe and well. Your continued loyalty and support is really appreciated as we navigate unprecedented challenges during this extraordinary time.

As a thank you from all of us, we'd like to give you 200 bonus Tier Credits.

We know that your opportunity to fly with us may be limited in the coming weeks, so these Tier Credits will help you maintain Platinum status or progress to Concierge this anniversary year. Your bonus Tier Credits will be automatically credited to your account shortly - we've got you covered.

If your tier status expired in March and these Tier Credits would have maintained your tier, we will review your account on this basis within the next few days.

Seems reasonable. I've been Platinum for a couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

I got the same, but 100 Tier Credits on Silver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭thebiglad

mwrf wrote: »
    Just got this from Aerclub:

Seems reasonable. I've been Platinum for a couple of years.

I am concierge and got the same but with 350 tier points - its a great start but really need an extension to have any hope of retaining status - unlikely going to be flying before July I reckon so lost a significant portion of the year at the time when I get most of my points.

A few airlines and hotels have simply moved the anniversary date by 1 year, hopefully EI do this yet but, if not at least I only drop 1 tier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

Jim Root wrote: »
    I got the same, but 100 Tier Credits on Silver.

Had recently lost status, so only got 25 as a green member. Which is pretty useless. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭thebiglad

SB Morer wrote: »
    SuperValu rewards vouchers have issued but no bonus whatsoever on conversion to Avios. What’s that about?

In the mailing it does state there is a 50% bonus for Rewards to Avios so obviously it was intended.

Personally, I will hold off on my Rewards for this quarter anyhow until I see what is going to happen with Avios - I expect EI will have greater priorities that Avios when they start flying again but if they are in a financial hole then surely Avios will have to be devalued (and they are not great value at present).

Its 3 months free basically, 300/3=100 600/3 =200, 1050/3=350

That would leave me at 427.5 and probably September onwards to travel so might work out.

Poor show compared to other carriers though a blanket 12 months extension would have been much more acceptable

3 other programs I'm in have simply rolled forward a year, no fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Was 170 points short of concierge, got the email but my points reset on the 15th of March. Assume there's no way ill be able to push for them to push me into concierge?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

Raging as I'm currently on 300 tier points and 1 point off becoming silver, with flights even booked that I had to self cancel due to this virus and seems to be no recognition for this at all on the green level. An extension to the renewal date by 3 months would have worked much better from my own personal point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭SB Morer

thebiglad wrote: »
    In the mailing it does state there is a 50% bonus for Rewards to Avios so obviously it was intended.

Personally, I will hold off on my Rewards for this quarter anyhow until I see what is going to happen with Avios - I expect EI will have greater priorities that Avios when they start flying again but if they are in a financial hole then surely Avios will have to be devalued (and they are not great value at present).

The 50% bonus has gone live today.

joe316 wrote: »
    Was 170 points short of concierge, got the email but my points reset on the 15th of March. Assume there's no way ill be able to push for them to push me into concierge?

You are good
    If your tier status expired in March and these Tier Credits would have maintained your tier, we will review your account on this basis within the next few days.

• Advertisement

I got this as well but will end up dropping tiers as a result as it's going to be months before I m flying again. I think they are using this too thin the herd out especially at lower levels. All the other programs I am in have just rolled the year on so you keep current status. It's a slightly different approach to everyone else but thats Aer Lingus for you.

Still, at least they have done something.

Advertisement