Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Ugh, a bit annoyed with this approach as it leaves me 25 points away from Platinum, with my reset date being in June, and a very low likelihood of being able to travel again before then. Raging because I would definitely have had at least one more business-class round-trip to SFO in there otherwise.

Then again, who even knows if we'll all be able to fly much before 2021 anyway. I think they might need to consider a long pause on AerClub fairly soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I already had 205 tier points from my November anniversary date, so this at least keeps me silver for another year so I'm happy with that. Don't think I'll make platinum though as I cant see trips to the US starting in time for me to do enough of them in economy before Nov.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

So how does the point application work /relate to your tier expiry time - i dont flip over until 30 April, and already re-qualified for Concierge until Apr 2021, so if this 350 extra goes into my account now it is wasted. I will still be back to 0 on 1 May ??? I'm confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

The bonus tier points will likely make no difference at all for most people awarded them. I daresay that's why EI offered them – looks good on surface, practical implication close to zero.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

mx5ire wrote: »
    So how does the point application work /relate to your tier expiry time - i dont flip over until 30 April, and already re-qualified for Concierge until Apr 2021, so if this 350 extra goes into my account now it is wasted. I will still be back to 0 on 1 May ??? I'm confused.

You go back to zero, but the day after you reset give them call and see what they will do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

NH2013 wrote: »
    Raging as I'm currently on 300 tier points and 1 point off becoming silver, with flights even booked that I had to self cancel due to this virus and seems to be no recognition for this at all on the green level. An extension to the renewal date by 3 months would have worked much better from my own personal point of view.

Just found out as a green member I've been awarded 25 tier points which sould bring me over the threshold into the silver tier, probably not as much as if I had been able to fly but given the circumstances not too disappointed, nice to see even green members being taken care of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

thebiglad wrote: »
    I am concierge and got the same but with 350 tier points - its a great start but really need an extension to have any hope of retaining status - unlikely going to be flying before July I reckon so lost a significant portion of the year at the time when I get most of my points.

A few airlines and hotels have simply moved the anniversary date by 1 year, hopefully EI do this yet but, if not at least I only drop 1 tier.

Same as that. I got +200 this morning but still haven't a hope of retaining platinum. It's a small thing in the grand scheme of things but would be a nice touch from EI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

joe316 wrote: »
    Was 170 points short of concierge, got the email but my points reset on the 15th of March. Assume there's no way ill be able to push for them to push me into concierge?

Just to confirm that account has already been bumped up to concierge. Very impressed with AL, I know they get a bad rep sometimes but feel that this is a welcome bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

I dont know why people are cribbing. You wont be traveling for months anyway and no matter what tier you are on you can access the lounge and get fast track. The every day difference between platinum and silver is very very little if you travel solo which most business people do.

At the rate we are going if someone said you wont be traveling until September for work but you will travel and you will keep your job, Id be a very happy camper.

The next time i'm traveling i'm going the night before and having a pint in cork airport and having a pint in Schiphol and a pint in my hotel and being glad that i'm able to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

Just out of curiosity - has anyone spoken to Avios about flights booked with them, and do you get refunds on money and/or points? I have two sets of them booked - end of April and end of June. The April ones absolutely wont happen and i seriously doubt June will either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Coil Kilcrea

Just out of curiosity - has anyone spoken to Avios about flights booked with them, and do you get refunds on money and/or points? I have two sets of them booked - end of April and end of June. The April ones absolutely wont happen and i seriously doubt June will either.

Anyone hear anything from BA?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭thebiglad

i was onto avoid about a flight on 1st June - they told me currently there is a fee to cancel and get my points refunded so best to wait and see if the flights are going in early June (the problem is that this is a return leg with a paid fare (which I have accepted voucher from EI for) in May so I absolutely won't be taking it.

If June onwards - you can pay €42.50 per person to cancel and get the points back or wait it out and see if the flight is cancelled.

Surely April or May flights it should be possible to simply get a refund of points.

Avios were very quick to contact on chat via their website so ask them, especially April flights.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Noxegon wrote: »
    The bonus tier points will likely make no difference at all for most people awarded them. I daresay that's why EI offered them – looks good on surface, practical implication close to zero.

I think it depends on when your renewal date is. Mine is in December, it pretty much guarantees me keeping the same tier at least with points already awarded and flights booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I dont know why people are cribbing. You wont be traveling for months anyway and no matter what tier you are on you can access the lounge and get fast track.

Imagine you had a good couple of thousand Tesco club card points and they expired because you couldn't get to the shop. Seems pretty unfair on Tesco's part having given them thousands of euros of business and nearly every other supermarket had either promised not to expire theirs or even top you up.

For me, it's more so the principal of it as opposed to the actual value of the tier. It's meaningful as someone has invested in brand and hence expressed their loyalty. Tack on the seemingly inept program that is Aer Club and I think any cribbing is pretty justified.

ironclaw wrote: »
    Imagine you had a good couple of thousand Tesco club card points and they expired because you couldn't get to the shop. Seems pretty unfair on Tesco's part having given them thousands of euros of business and nearly every other supermarket had either promised not to expire theirs or even top you up.

For me, it's more so the principal of it as opposed to the actual value of the tier. It's meaningful as someone has invested in brand and hence expressed their loyalty. Tack on the seemingly inept program that is Aer Club and I think any cribbing is pretty justified.

Tesco points are worth money, Tier credits are not.

Avios however are and are another story. Everyone is in the crap at the moment. Honestly i did not expect Aer Lingus to do anything because of their poor handling of the crossover from Gold Circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Anyone know will Avios refund points spent on an Aer Lingus cancelled flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I've just received the email telling me I'll be receiving the 25 bonus tier credits bringing my grand total of tier credits to 32.5 so that's made my weekend.
    I've no idea where the other 7.5 tier credits came from because after several years spent chasing up missing points and credits I've gone out of my way to avoid using them for business travel and trying to keep the figure at zero by not claiming the credits on the rare occasions I've used them for personal travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Tier credits are earned by flying which costs money. They absolutely have value in my eyes. They have a non-monetary value in and of themselves but they progress you through the tiers which do have a value i.e. Fast pass, upgrades etc.

That said, I don't fly very much for work any more so it doesn't impact me. But two or three years ago, I'd be really annoyed if my status was being reduced by Aer Lingus during a time like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭micdug

Avios however are and are another story. Everyone is in the crap at the moment. Honestly i did not expect Aer Lingus to do anything because of their poor handling of the crossover from Gold Circle.

Worth 6-8 upgrades per annum which is roughly 9-12k at 1,500 per leg upgrade cost. Dunno about you but that is worth a fair bit when you fly West Coast US frequently.

micdug wrote: »
    Worth 6-8 upgrades per annum which is roughly 9-12k at 1,500 per leg upgrade cost. Dunno about you but that is worth a fair bit when you fly West Coast US frequently.

You wont be flying to the USA for a while yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

You wont be flying to the USA for a while yet!

Probably not. But the comment was that tier points were useless when clearly they are pretty valuable (when EI is flying)...

What will be interesting is how all of this works post Covid...

Anyone have an Irish Phone number for Avios? Used to be one but can’t seem to find it now on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭SB Morer

Qprmeath wrote: »
    Anyone have an Irish Phone number for Avios? Used to be one but can’t seem to find it now on their website.

I booked a flight with Avios in January and it had this as the contact number for any changes etc.
    01 562 1043

SB Morer wrote: »
    I booked a flight with Avios in January and it had this as the contact number for any changes etc.
    01 562 1043

I always use the online chat and find it very good - that includes flight changes and cancellations.

Used chat in the end. I booked Heathrow flights for mid March 20 through Avios which I cancelled through Aer Lingus, which gave me the option in an online form to specify they were booked through Avios, but Avios now saying they weren’t cancelled through them so no refund of points or cash. I have a screenshot of the form but Avios not budging on it.

Qprmeath wrote: »
    Used chat in the end. I booked Heathrow flights for mid March 20 through Avios which I cancelled through Aer Lingus, which gave me the option in an online form to specify they were booked through Avios, but Avios now saying they weren’t cancelled through them so no refund of points or cash. I have a screenshot of the form but Avios not budging on it.

That's harsh in the current circumstances

I will remember that though - I have an Avios flight booked for 01 June which I fully expect to be cancelled. Right now Avios want €42.50 per person per leg cancellation fee but if EI cancel I do so for free.

Will remember though ignore the EI email offer and straight to Avios at that point and let them cancel it.

Be interested in what EI will offer as a voucher for flights booked with Avios anyhow.

I was using 40k Avios to book 2 x return trips to Greece when my wife told me to hold off a week. just as well i did as it exploded over the following 7 days.
    I just need one flight to maintain silver for next year, no way ill get to keep platinum for 2021.

Even tho i'm not too bothered as i use the Privium lounge in Schiphol anyway. that Aspire lounge in AMS is the pits. You cant even sit down in the mornings as they have it half blocked off for Singapore Airlines passengers.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I just need one flight to maintain silver for next year, no way ill get to keep platinum for 2021.

If your Platinum now and have taken a few flights, you’ll be Silver next year..

I was Platinum (down from Concierge), and took 1 return trip all year (50 Tier Credits) and still got a Silver membership for the following year!

The year I was Concierge I only made enough Tier Credits for Silver, but got a Platinum membership for the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

I do think EI are using this to thin the herd a bit for the higher tier members and as it is unlikely business traffic will pick up before last few months of the year a lot of people will drop down a tier. The tier credits they have awarded people are not much use to most people unless they were on the edge of going up a tier. In my opinion, they should have just extended your current tier for a year with your credits expiring on your normal anniversary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I do think EI are using this to thin the herd a bit for the higher tier members and as it is unlikely business traffic will pick up before last few months of the year a lot of people will drop down a tier. The tier credits they have awarded people are not much use to most people unless they were on the edge of going up a tier. In my opinion, they should have just extended your current tier for a year with your credits expiring on your normal anniversary.

What value do they actually get from thinning the herd though? It seems to me that the reason airline loyalty programs exist is because they bring enough prestige or financial benefit to counteract the rather minimal outlay of the tier freebies. Hotel groups seem desperate to retain their loyalty customers during this, I don’t really know why airlines would be any different.

Advertisement