Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better late than never

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Shuffles to the end of the bench my turn next :)

Super, leaves plenty of room for me & aquinn to stretch out - no more allowed on it :) get running!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Firedance wrote: »
    Super, leaves plenty of room for me & aquinn to stretch out - no more allowed on it :) get running!

Yes Sir !! Me thinks you two are going to be doing a lot of shouting from that bench we're not going to be allowed slack with you pair on duty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Yes Sir !! Me thinks you two are going to be doing a lot of shouting from that bench we're not going to be allowed slack with you pair on duty :)

The DCM Novice 2016 thread would be very well served with the experience on that bench ;)

Welcome back Mrs Mc and hope that you are progressing AM.

denis b wrote: »
    The DCM Novice 2016 thread would be very well served with the experience on that bench ;)

Welcome back Mrs Mc and hope that you are progressing AM.

ha ha get lost :D the rules are from the current crew - how are you fixed Denis!!

Firedance wrote: »
    ha ha get lost :D the rules are from the current crew - how are you fixed Denis!!

....swerves wildly- not bad AM, rest day yesterday and...

Friday

Being cautious and reduced the volume and intensity of todays session to 8 km with 2 x 1km at just under 10km target pace and 2 x 600 m at same. Felt fine but know that the body isn't back to normal yet.

Rather than tackling the scheduled Vo2 max session I settled for the above which is one interval, at each distance, less than that prescribed. I changed the pace from 4:18 (5 km) to 4:32/km. Rationale was to feel the pace in the legs as a reminder but not to overdo it. I am a confidence runner and this helps.

10 km pb is 47:02 mins and with the setbacks the last week I am going to target just under 46:00. All subject to change and may chase a more aggressive target depending on how the recovery continues.

• Advertisement

One week on and no running. The chest infection returned and ended up closing down the left lung. So that is pretty much a two week break just as I was starting to taper for the K Club 10 km run. Needless to say that wont be happening. Disappointed, but its early in the racing season yet. The three good months work wont go to waste but I imagine it will take a few weeks to return to normal.

Plan on returning to a very easy week as soon as I have had a few recovery days and I think that last night was a turning point. Time will tell. I hope to race another 10 km before April is out.

Best of luck to everyone else racing this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Sorry to hear that Denis. Hope you're 100% soon. But as you say all that good training won't go to waste and there are plenty of 10ks coming up.

Bummer D there is a rotten dose going around it really knocks the energy. Wise choice to bow out I am definately feeling rested after the 10 days out but it's hard not running isn't it everyone seems to be running when you're out of action. Get well soon hopefully :)

Bummer D there is a rotten dose going around it really knocks the energy. Wise choice to bow out I am definately feeling rested after the 10 days out but it's hard not running isn't it everyone seems to be running when you're out of action. Get well soon hopefully :)

Sure is and must admit that I had a few "quiet" days. But, the logs have their place and its great to pick up ideas from other peoples experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Sorry to hear Denis, best luck with recovery, dose defiantly flattens for
    a good while take it handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Shoot, sorry to hear it came back with a bang Denis. It's the worst does to have, legs are raring to go but the energy is being sucked out of you by the infection. Give yourself plenty of time to recover. I made the mistake of not giving myself enough time to get over chest infections last year and I was on my fourth anti-biotic by April. I've well and truly learned my lesson - this year has been much better.

You're right when you say the three months of consistent training will stand to you. Make the most of the break from the roads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Feck that's a pity to miss a target race but hopefully you're on the mend soon Denis!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Sorry to hear this denis, recover well and come back stronger!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Ah, that's a shame. It's never nice to want to run and not be able to. Maybe try to get some steroids out of the doctors ;):D

Yes that is a shame, sorry to hear it Denis, but you've made the right decision, 3 months of work won't disappear in a couple of weeks. Mind yourself and you'll be back on track in no time. Its a bit later in the season but Dunshaughlin have a super 10K in June! A definite PB course despite a teeny tiny hill... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Sorry to hear that, Denis. I hope you recover quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Hope you feel better soon, Denis!

Howdy folks,

Hope this isn't a false dawn. I'm back :rolleyes:

Got a right lash on the chest and had to take a month off. My legs are trigger happy and raring to go. Dont think they ever felt better.

Where were we.... yep Had just finished a 10 week multiple distance running programme and was tapering for the K Club 10km. Will readjust and aim to peak for the Dunshaughlin 10 km solely on the basis that I heard it said that it is a fast course. Plan is 2 weeks base building again to get my mileage up nice and safely. Then I will use the Faster Road Racing programme for 10 km but will throw in an odd race starting in late May.

Wednesday

5km at 5.26/km pace. Nice and easy. Breathing was fine and no ill effects

Howdy folks,

Hope this isn't a false dawn. I'm back :rolleyes:

Got a right lash on the chest and had to take a month off. My legs are trigger happy and raring to go. Dont think they ever felt better.

Where were we.... yep Had just finished a 10 week multiple distance running programme and was tapering for the K Club 10km. Will readjust and aim to peak for the Dunshaughlin 10 km solely on the basis that I heard it said that it is a fast course. Plan is 2 weeks base building again to get my mileage up nice and safely. Then I will use the Faster Road Racing programme for 10 km but will throw in an odd race starting in late May.

Wednesday

5km at 5.26/km pace. Nice and easy. Breathing was fine and no ill effects

Good to see you back Denis, take it handy now !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Good to see you back Denis, enjoy base building , won't be long before you
    have legs nice and tired again:)

• Advertisement

Ah good to see you back, you crossed my mind yesterday so was wondering how you were fixed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Great to hear you're back pounding the paths! Any other summer plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Great you're back in action! Dunshaughlin is a great race, epic post-race spread too !

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Good to see you back Denis, enjoy base building , won't be long before you
    have legs nice and tired again:)

Cheers G. Slowly getting there. Nothing like the comfort of base building :D
    diego_b wrote: »
    Ah good to see you back, you crossed my mind yesterday so was wondering how you were fixed!

Hopefully fully fixed. Nothing major but next time will get to the doctor rather than self prescribe!!!!
    Singer wrote: »
    Great to hear you're back pounding the paths! Any other summer plans?

5km to hm but most of the emphasis will be in the 10km to 10 mile range. I WANT TO RUN FASTER. Its now or never. Wont run another marathon this year as I want the next one to be a different experience - including the training.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Great you're back in action! Dunshaughlin is a great race, epic post-race spread too !

Nice G. Spotted you out on "my" home turf during my absence. Great to be back.

Thanks folks.

Thursday

Handy 5 km easy run once again. Just getting the legs ticking over again and all seems fine.

Friday

S&C and core work. Have neglected this area over the last 2-3 years and have prioritised it once again. Always enjoyed this type of work and it was really important for climbing.

Saturday

Missed racing so headed down to St. Annes for some company and decided that I would run at a comfortable pace - no full on racing yet. Finished in 23.25 which was run comfortably. Around 3km my barcode slipped out from under the sole and flew off. Stopped ad ran back to retrieve it. There was a time and that would have defeated me. With 5oom to go we hit a hill and decided to up th epace as I heard someone gaining me. A young fells slipped past me on the hill but he was working hard as I increased the race pace. When we hit the top of the hill I stepped up a gear and it sure felt good to be able to finish nice and strong..... and in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Great to see you back this morning. Lovely morning for it.

Good stuff, good finish that Denis!

Good to see you back this morning D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

.. it sure felt good to be able to finish nice and strong..... and in front.

That's the stuff! Good to see you back and clearly enjoying it.

Sunday

10 km on a new circuit which I borrowed from one of the kids at home. Down Phillipsburgh Ave and along Fairview Strand onto Clonliffe Road. Nice downhill start for a little over 2 km. Seemed to be settling into a 5.35/km pace. Lots of house extensions in progress.

Headed left into town and sharp right onto Whitworth Road past the "underground" Indian Ruposhi Restaurant. Will check that out again. Had not noticed it before. Checked the pace as the road began to rise towards Cross Guns Bridge - 5.38/km. Turned right onto Harts Corner and followed the out of town road to Mobhi Road turning left onto the Old Finglas Road. Avoided the path dips by running on the road. Not so sure that this would be a good route on anything but a weekend morning.

Feeling warm pulling up out of the Tolka Valley and can feel the glutes after yesterdays shakedown at Parkrun. Really surprised that the legs still feeling so strong (relative term). Over the last few weeks illness I walked at least 5 km every day to try and retain something in the legs.

Turned right onto Griffith Avenue Extension and ran back almost the whole length of Griffith Avenue, with a little detour up the Swords Road to add 600m.

A great run. Probably a little faster than I intended but always said that I would just keep it comfortable and stuck to that.

10 km 56.12 HR 147.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Great to hear that you are back running denis, see you in Dunshaughlin.

Advertisement