Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better late than never

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Good race Denis - I think we were both a little outdone by the start. As we agreed afterwards, I seemed to have been a little luckier finding a line through the crowds at the first few hundred meters. I looked over my shoulder and you were gone, pity, as I am sure we could have helped each other.

Well done on the PB and no doubt sub 35 will be on the cards at the race series 5M.

Them flapjacks were mighty fine, sir. Mighty fine indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Fine report Denis and a great run, loved the flapjacks so cheers for those....very tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Well done Denis on both the run and the flapjacks good to see you yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Monday
    5kms very easy jog at 6.20km pace. Teased out some tightness in left glute and hamstring. Everything else seems to be working fine. Have redoubled my post run stretching and flexibility routine to include;

Hamstrings x2
    Quads,
    Glutes x2
    Calves
    Calves lower
    Hip Flexor,
    Piriformis
    Heel drops.

Repeating this routine again each evening.

Tuesday
    Another easy 5 km run into and with the wind on Griffith Avenue at about 5.50km pace.

Weigh in day tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Bungy Girl gave me a flapjack. They were delicious! Thank you! And well done on your race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Great report Denis, looks like some good digging in going on during the race!

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Bungy Girl gave me a flapjack. They were delicious! Thank you! And well done on your race.

Most welcome and great to get some feedback on my street dealers:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

denis b wrote: »
    Most welcome and great to get some feedback on my street dealers:eek:

Ha ha, the thriving black market for flapjacks :D.

Wednesday

A 13km run today at 5.42 avg pace. Started at 5:55 and worked up to 5:22 on the second last km. Legs were fine and worked at improving my form and arm action. Have found that the shoulders are slumping as I tend to not use my arms and they hang down and slightly forward. Could feel an immediate improvement (relief) in the shoulders as I adopted a more orthodox arm action.

Double stretches and flexibility work along with core work. Stepping things up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Wednesday

A 13km run today at 5.42 avg pace. Started at 5:55 and worked up to 5:22 on the second last km. Legs were fine and worked at improving my form and arm action. Have found that the shoulders are slumping as I tend to not use my arms and they hang down and slightly forward. Could feel an immediate improvement (relief) in the shoulders as I adopted a more orthodox arm action.

Double stretches and flexibility work along with core work. Stepping things up now.

I am open to correction, but seem to remember reading arms more for balance while running and over exaggeration on swing can trow off other parts of running movement, just a thought
    And again not 100%, but suppose if it works why not.:)

• Advertisement

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    I am open to correction, but seem to remember reading arms more for balance while running and over exaggeration on swing can trow off other parts of running movement, just a thought
    And again not 100%, but suppose if it works why not.:)

By "action" I hasten to add that it should read "rhythmic motion" :). As soon as I raised my lower arms it felt much more natural and my arms moved more naturally. Its probably only a very small adjustment and I think that it is resulting from the fact that I am also moving faster with the new schedule. So much of my running over the last year has been more about mileage than pacier sessions.

Thanks for that because it gave me something to think about on todays session.

Thursday

Friday

10 mins wup 3x 9min at 4.35/km with 3 min recovery and 10 min cdown.

Rep 1 at 4:39/km and Avg. HR 156
    Rep 2 at 4:35/km and Avg. HR 161
    Rep 3 at 4:30/km and Avg. HR 163

10km covered at 5:26/km pace at 151 HR.

A hard ould session first thing this morning. The last rep felt easiest and just couldnt get the accelerator down hard enough for the first one. A complete lack of practice at this sort of pace for over a year but at least I have made a start.

Reckon I cleared Collins Ave of pedestrians this morning with the effort and spray arc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Wednesday

Well done on Raheny and glad I seemed to have been of help! Flapjacks were indeed delicious, thank you, i grabbed one before I ran! What's your instant response if I ask you what you think is *off* over the last three months?

And ps, was going to suggest that looking at runners' shoulders in front of you would be more beneficial, looking at their calves suggests that you were slumping and Not. Running. Tall....Dennniiiiisss??!! :D

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Well done on Raheny and glad I seemed to have been of help! Flapjacks were indeed delicious, thank you, i grabbed one before I ran! What's your instant response if I ask you what you think is *off* over the last three months?

And ps, was going to suggest that looking at runners' shoulders in front of you would be more beneficial, looking at their calves suggests that you were slumping and Not. Running. Tall....Dennniiiiisss??!! :D

Stale - definitely stale and kinda felt that I was drifting along without getting anywhere.

I searched for a programme and picked one from Faster Road Racing - 5km to Half Marathon (Training for Multiple Race Distances - Schedule 1). After a Dec 5km Parkrun - St. Annes (21.28) , a hard 5 km Parkrun -St. Annes (21.47) and Raheny (37:01) I felt that I had the evidence.

One week into new programme and its providing me with more variety and I have had to research and work out how to run some of the sessions. They are harder, but within my capacity. Its less slow miles and am getting a feeling for what a hard session is.

It might be an age thing as well. Kinda comfortable and every race is nearly a pb by default. Have snapped out of that after Raheny. Will be realistic but I can do better. Very much aware recently of the need to get more "comfortable" with having to work really hard in a race. The faster sessions, I feel, will give me that experience and confidence. I am training strictly within paces that are current and wont break that rule. That should keep things as safe as they can be.

Sleep was poor as well but made some improvements this week that are sustainable.

Running Form - good point and definitely taken. I only remember looking at the ground over the last km :(

Saturday
    Rest Day

Sunday
    14 km endurance run progressing from 5:55 km to 5:22 km pace. Last km recovery. Headed out from city centre along Grand Canal to Irishtown and out by the coast and back. Strong winds for some of the km so juggled things to keep the effort right. Waves were lapping over the wall at Sandymount in places. Looked to run on grass and trails whenever possible.

Run went well and was surprised at how little extra was required to push the next km on pace wise. Was satisfying to finish the last km just under pace time and still feel like there was plenty left to offer.

Would welcome any advice on this aspect of a progressive endurance run as am so used to these longer runs being run at a slower and steady pace.

47.03 km for the week
    47.03 for the month
    193.53 for the year

Looking forward to reading all the race reports from today

Monday

Couple of hours out hiking on The Burren with Imogen. Spectacular on the coastline.

Tuesday

10kms with two sets of 4X200m at 800m to 1 mile pace. Rests were 200m recovery between intervals and 4 mins jog between sets. Settled on 46 secs using a ready reckoner.

Did 5km warm up at 5.45 km pace. First interval fired off at 49 secs. Had no real idea how hard I had to run to do 200m. 2nd 200m 47 secs and next two at 46 secs. Bingo

Next set 46, 45, 44 and 43. They just seemed to get a little easier.Concentrated on quick turnover and strong stride. Really pleased with how it went and felt fine after running out the 10km to include recovery.

Monday

Couple of hours out hiking on The Burren with Imogen. Spectacular on the coastline.

Tuesday

10kms with two sets of 4X200m at 800m to 1 mile pace. Rests were 200m recovery between intervals and 4 mins jog between sets. Settled on 46 secs using a ready reckoner.

Did 5km warm up at 5.45 km pace. First interval fired off at 49 secs. Had no real idea how hard I had to run to do 200m. 2nd 200m 47 secs and next two at 46 secs. Bingo

Next set 46, 45, 44 and 43. They just seemed to get a little easier.Concentrated on quick turnover and strong stride. Really pleased with how it went and felt fine after running out the 10km to include recovery.

Wednesday

13km Endurance Run progressing from 5:55km to 5:20km pace.

Ran down to Fairview Park and along the grass out onto the Wooden Bridge on Bull Island for this one. Kinda conscious of getting in some mileage on grass whenever I can. Turned to head home near the end of the Bull Wall to face a really cold NW wind. Just as well the pace was picking up by the km. Hard enough work initially but it got easier as the pace increased and I got some shelter in Fairview. Will wear gloves next time.

No injuries and ticking over nicely. Sleeping better and have noticed that appetite is picking up a little. Weight down 1.3 kgs over the last week.

Thursday

Rest day

Friday

13 km LT session: 1x12 min, 1 x10 min and 1 x8 min run with 4 mins jog recovery. Pace at 4:30-4:35 per km.

One very tough session. headed down to Clontarf promenade so that the interval runs would not be interrupted with traffic etc. Slight headwind for first interval. Didn't think that I would be able to manage this session but its done and dusted at 4:30-4:35. The 3km cooldown helped to allow enough recovery afterwards that I didn't feel completely banjaxed.

Glad tomorrow is a rest day. Will try and head to St. Annes to help at the Parkrun. Feel like I could sleep for the whole weekend now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well done D, that looks tough alright! I did 30 mins at that pace recently but on the track - possibly easier without stopping for the jog recoveries!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Thursday

Rest day

Friday

13 km LT session: 1x12 min, 1 x10 min and 1 x8 min run with 4 mins jog recovery. Pace at 4:30-4:35 per km.

One very tough session.

That's some tough stuff there! Well done.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Well done D, that looks tough alright! I did 30 mins at that pace recently but on the track - possibly easier without stopping for the jog recoveries!

I wish!!! Steep learning curve at this end but really enjoying the experience.

Singer wrote: »
    That's some tough stuff there! Well done.

Cheers B. Must be close, pace wise, to your LSR :D. Heading to ALSAA on Tuesday for a 1 mile time trial/race. Not sure if my legs can go any faster but will report.

At Parkrun helping out this morning. Stayed on to see and help with what happens to ensure everyone gets an official time afterwards. What a slick operation and great to be part of.

I wish!!! Steep learning curve at this end but really enjoying the experience.

Cheers B. Must be close, pace wise, to your LSR :D. Heading to ALSAA on Tuesday for a 1 mile time trial/race. Not sure if my legs can go any faster but will report.

At Parkrun helping out this morning. Stayed on to see and help with what happens to ensure everyone gets an official time afterwards. What a slick operation and great to be part of.

Sorry to miss you this morning Denis did some park run tourism this morning and went up to father Collins nice flat route.

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Sorry to miss you this morning Denis did some park run tourism this morning and went up to father Collins nice flat route.

An well worth the visit. Congrats and the family did you proud in St. Annes :D

An well worth the visit. Congrats and the family did you proud in St. Annes :D

Yes the competitive side of Mc Jnr starting to rear its head !!! She takes after her father :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Well done this evening Denis! Great to have that marker down and something to aim for in 8 weeks time. Will see you then, if not at the 3K.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Well done this evening Denis! Great to have that marker down and something to aim for in 8 weeks time. Will see you then, if not at the 3K.

Cheers BG. will be interesting to chart our performances with the HTFU programmes.

Think I finished in 6.23.3 according to my watch. That first lap was too fast for me and spent most of the 2nd lap recovering. Finished the race pretty much on target so was pleased for the first time in months. Gave it socks over the last 200m and managed to make up some ground.

The legs are definitely adapting to a quicker turnover but my running form was terrible last night. Denisb jnr was in the race last night as well and he was doubled over laughing at me "bent over, looking at the ground and flapping my forearms" with the effort of the last 200m!!! Thats the second time in 3 weeks that I have been warned. Have to work on relaxing and maintaining some form. BG - you were the model runner standing tall and looking relaxed and noticed one or two other runners who managed the same. Its another lesson.

So thats a new 1km and 1 mile pb in the same outing. Its progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great stuff there, D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done Denis, absolutely flying it, good to see what next few weeks bring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done Denis.
    How are you finding the new training program and is there a target race at the end of it?

Advertisement