Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better late than never

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Murph_D wrote: »
    Great stuff there, D.

Thanks D. An honest evenings work.
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Well done Denis, absolutely flying it, good to see what next few weeks bring.

Cheers. Lots more hard work and then some rewards! Tracking your own health and progress
    jake1970 wrote: »
    Well done Denis.
    How are you finding the new training program and is there a target race at the end of it?

Fairly tired for the first three weeks but am adapting to the faster running fairly well. Some of the sessions are a little less intimidating and developing confidence. Really have to practice better technique which breaks down so easily when the pressure comes on. Will be patient.

The K Club 10km co-incides with the end of programme. Nice flat course and by all accounts a great day out to boot and all. Aim is to spend April to August racing 5km to 10 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

denis b wrote: »
    The K Club 10km co-incides with the end of programme. Nice flat course and by all accounts a great day out to boot and all. Aim is to spend April to August racing 5km to 10 miles.

well done Denis, the K club 10k is a super race, would highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Duanington

At Parkrun helping out this morning. Stayed on to see and help with what happens to ensure everyone gets an official time afterwards. What a slick operation and great to be part of.

I was there myself D - should have copped it was you really ! ( I was the lanky fella helping out with the 7 year old in tow).

Well done on the mile PB, nice work :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Fairly tired for the first three weeks but am adapting to the faster running fairly well. Some of the sessions are a little less intimidating and developing confidence. Really have to practice better technique which breaks down so easily when the pressure comes on. Will be patient.

As Firedance has said the K-club is a super race, ideal for anyone targeting a PB and if your training goes well I would expect a big PB from you(no pressure:)).

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sharkey47

Denisb jnr was in the race last night as well and he was doubled over laughing at me "bent over, looking at the ground and flapping my forearms" with the effort of the last 200m!!!

Now, why does that sound familiar?!! I think kids are all the same :) . Well done on the race Denis , that's a great time. Your training is reaping its reward. Fergal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Nice going during the week, Denis. Onwards and upwards!!!

Thursday

Rest

Friday

This was like a Super Primary Day!! Flat out. Very early start to get some work done across the midlands and a dash back to the Phoenix Park just after lunch to get a 13km run in with 6x3mins Hill Intervals at 3-5km pace. Recovery at 3 mins.

Ran about 7.5km on the warm up as I misjudged how far I had run. Was enjoying a decent run on the grass in the PP at an easy enough pace. Decided to use the hills either side of St. Marys Hospital just above the Chapelizod Gate. They preyed on my mind for the race series in '15 so no better place to exorcise the demons for '16.

The intervals went at :
    3 mins on hill for each interval
    .65km at 4.32 km pace - didnt hear the start beep. Military Road
    .68km at 4.24 km pace Military Road
    .66km at 4.32 km into wind and along Upper Glen Road
    .71km at 4.15 km pace Military Road
    .68km at 4.23 km pace into wind and Upper Glen Road. Really pleased with this one. Probably the hardest.
    .71km at 4.15 km pace Military Road

Got the heart right up into the correct band but my Garmin suffered some sort of arrhythmic attack after 3 intervals and couldnt cope with the numbers being thrown at it. Effort felt consistent.

Ran 1.5 km to cooldown and discovered that I had completed 15 km instead of the required 13km. First such session and will know better next time.

Firedance wrote: »
    well done Denis, the K club 10k is a super race, would highly recommend.

Am spot on schedule wise for same. Might have to be carried back to the car after the grub :D
    Duanington wrote: »
    I was there myself D - should have copped it was you really ! ( I was the lanky fella helping out with the 7 year old in tow).

Well done on the mile PB, nice work :-)

Will get to say hello next time. Did ye run today?
    jake1970 wrote: »
    As Firedance has said the K-club is a super race, ideal for anyone targeting a PB and if your training goes well I would expect a big PB from you(no pressure:)).

Gulp!! Lucky for me I carrying around a kind soft 10km pb (47 mins). Although if you told me 5 years ago that I would go under 50 mins I would have laughed.
    Sharkey47 wrote: »
    Now, why does that sound familiar?!! I think kids are all the same :) . Well done on the race Denis , that's a great time. Your training is reaping its reward. Fergal

Cheers for that Fergal. Old enough to go from mortified to gratified in an instant. Anyway, had bet him he wouldn't beat me by more than 1 minute. Ka..tching - 1 Euro the richer.
    FBOT01 wrote: »
    Nice going during the week, Denis. Onwards and upwards!!!

Cheers M. Learning lots.

Saturday

Lazy rest day.

Sunday

Payback for yesterday. Progressive endurance 18 km run.

5 km in the 5.50 range,
    4 km in the 5.40 range
    4 km in the 5.30 range
    4 km in the 5.20 range

and 1 km cool down.

Woke to strong winds so cancelled my (A) Phoenix Park and (B) Clontarf Coast plans. Instead I sought out a flattish route to avoid the worst of the weather. Its not race day so I get to choose :).

Worked the first 5 km (averaged out at 5:51 per km) at slowest pace into the wind and slightly uphill (to Finglas Village),

before heading back down Glasnevin Ave and out to Ballymun. Worked this at the 5.40 mark and was blown down Santry Ave and across to the Oscar Traynor Rd. Worked through these 4 kms at 5.43 per km approx. Heart was still in the 148 range.

Next 4 km past Northside to Malahide Road congratulating myself on the plan to avoid the worst of the wind. Averaged out this section at 5.32 per km and HR just at 150.

This is where it turned nasty..... had been out a while and the winds had changed direction as the front passed us :mad:. Up and down section that then falls away with the last km flat but straight into the wind. 4 km in the 5:20s coming up that averaged out at 5.22 per km and the heart monitor once again seems to have stopped working properly.

Met Kennyg on this last section and let out a roar above the wind. I think G was equally shell shocked with the effort and he was working uphill.

Felt this today on top of a couple of hard sessions this week. Next week is a recovery week and I think its probably needed. Managing the programme but each session has really worked me through and through. Its probably the cumulative effect and I have gone back and reread the chapter with advice for those of a certain age :).

Hope everybody managed to get something done today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Well done D it wasn't nice out there today the weather conditions were definately there to test us today.

• Advertisement

Monday

rest Day

Tuesday

11km run with 2 sets of 4 x200m at 800m-1km pace. Recovery 200m jog and 4 mins jog between sets.

6km warm up in PP this afternoon. Smashing day along the trails. Picked my 200 m section on the spur of the Race Series HM across from the Papal Cross. First set 44-45 secs each. Next set 44,44,43,42. Fairly even effort and think that concentration to task improves economy and form. Recovered easily with each jog.

1 km cooldown.

First of these sessions that I managed without feeling like I needed to lie down and snooze for an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Monday

rest Day

Tuesday

11km run with 2 sets of 4 x200m at 800m-1km pace. Recovery 200m jog and 4 mins jog between sets.

6km warm up in PP this afternoon. Smashing day along the trails. Picked my 200 m section on the spur of the Race Series HM across from the Papal Cross. First set 44-45 secs each. Next set 44,44,43,42. Fairly even effort and think that concentration to task improves economy and form. Recovered easily with each jog.

1 km cooldown.

First of these sessions that I managed without feeling like I needed to lie down and snooze for an hour.

Good session Denis, looks spot on, well done.

Wednesday

Cold but no wind. Headed to the seafront as part of a 11 km general aerobic run. Its recovery week and this is the first volume only run I have done in a while. Enjoyed running on the crispy grass and there were plenty of other runners out as well. That sun is definitely on the way back and despite the cold you could feel the heat on your face...until you turned around to run back to the city.

6km pace and 1,000 calories used up. That means coffee and scone time very soon.

Friday 26th Feb

11 km aerobic run. Did this by HRM for a change and as its recovery week I might as well experiment a bit. Ran at 5.50/km pace and worked out at 141 bpm.

Week 5 of the Programme.

Monday
    7.37 km aerobic run.

Tuesday
    VO2 Max session - 13km with 5x1km at 3-5km pace and 3:30 mins recoveries.

4:17, 4.16, 4.22 (into the wind), 4.12, 4.14. Average HR of 161. Hard session.

Drank a lot of water during the day and was tired.

Wednesday

Progressive Endurance Run 13km

4 at 5:5x
    4 at 5:4x
    3 at 5.3x
    3 at 5:2x.

Went really well. Amazed that the legs managed it as well as they did after yesterdays session which had taken me most of the day to recover from. Heading out into the wind this morning didn't feel too bad and it only got better. Had to put the brakes on in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

Count down for the K Club 10km dash is on. Putting my 10km Pb on the "threatened list" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Doing really well there Denis, think 10k pb in for real kicking, well
    Done on Wednesday session, hard one to get done on your own.

Friday

Heading back from West Cork in early evening and knew I wouldnt hit the PP before dark so pulled off the motorway at the foot of the Galtees and used the old main cork road at Glengarra Wood. Its wide and quiet these days and was sheltered from the northerlies by the mountains.

13 KM LT Run with 1x14mins, 1x10mins and 1x8mins at LT pace (4:30). No problem and managed it in pretty good form and within times.

Saturday
    18 km Progressive Endurance Run
    Scheduled for Sunday but had a mountaineering day arranged with the cold weather and chance for some winter climbing (Cross Training;))

Got out mid afternoon on the Saturday. Hit the seafront at Clontarf feeling really strong. Dialled back pace, within range, for the first 5 km. Legs are turning over faster these days. Did a lap of St. Annes (submerged) and shook off the water and mud on the way home.

Sunday

Mountaineering :D Great winter climbing to be had!!!! Legs tired afterwards and had a Salts bath. Legs recovered as I type

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Sunday

Mountaineering :D Great winter climbing to be had!!!! Legs tired afterwards and had a Salts bath. Legs recovered as I type

Oh where'd ya go?

Neady83 wrote: »
    Oh where'd ya go?

North Prison on Lugnaquilla. Good fun and a few decisions to be made with steeper sections. Just crampons and single axe territory but good fun all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

North Prison on Lugnaquilla. Good fun and a few decisions to be made with steeper sections. Just crampons and single axe territory but good fun all the same.

Awh lovely, nice to get a chance to throw on the gear which or whether :)

Monday

Rest Day. They just go too fast sometimes.

Tuesday

VO2 Max Day - 13km

2 km warm up (missed on strava)
    3 x 1200m at 3-5 km pace
    3 x 800m at 3-5 km pace

Recovery jog after each interval of 3:30 mins.

Cooldown about 1.7km.

Hardest session that I have ever done!

Splits as follows:
    4:16 pace 166 max HR (Average 162) thought that I'd never get through this session
    4:17 172 max HR (168) totally knackered after this one. Hands on knees for several seconds
    4:18 168 max HR (163) felt a little better after this one - no hands on knees

and then the handy :rolleyes: 800m splits

4:20 pace Max HR 173 (168)
    4:19 Max HR 167 (161) - this one felt better but legs very heavy
    4:17 Max HR 166 (162) - downhill section last 400m

Managed the cooldown without further incident.

Tried to relax when running hard and really had to push it to keep the pace right. Not so sure that I could have run any faster and the HR was getting close to my 177 max.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

VO2 Max Day - 13km

2 km warm up (missed on strava)
    3 x 1200m at 3-5 km pace
    3 x 800m at 3-5 km pace

Cooldown about 1.7km.

Hardest session that I have ever done!

Jaysus, that looks tough. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

That sounds nasty! Well done.

reading that made me want to lie down in a dark room :D fair play Denis!

Singer wrote: »
    Jaysus, that looks tough. Well done!

Cheers B....all for the cause!
    chickey2 wrote: »
    That sounds nasty! Well done.

Nasty....it sure was. Nearly felt defeated before it even got serious. Funny how the little beep on the watch spurs me on all the same. I just didn't want to see "failure" on the watch.
    Firedance wrote: »
    reading that made me want to lie down in a dark room :D fair play Denis!
    Funny you should say that. Came home and lay down to stretch and nearly nodded off.

Wednesday

Post Armageddon day. Spent yesterday thinking that I might just take an extra rest day if needed. Had consulted Faster Road Racing and the suggestion was that recovery is normally quite fast after a V02 session. Decided I would get up and get moving this morning and just see how it goes.

14 km Progressive Endurance Run as follows

4km at 5:5x's - averaged 5:53 over slight uphill and against the prevailing light wind
    4km at 5:4x's - averaged 5:40
    3km at 5:3x's - averaged 5:31
    3km at 5:2x's - averaged 5:20

Felt pretty ok today with avg HR of 143. Did an extra km to cooldown before stretching. Hamstrings (x2) stretching after the last few days.

Really enjoyed the Ballycotton reports on Boards. Some stellar racing all round and a great lift when you are in the middle of a programme. Hard work pays off. Particularly liked the remark by FBOT01 (courtesy of Mrs Mc) about the rewards for postponing pleasure ie enjoy the race or the pb afterglow.

Wednesday

Post Armageddon day. Spent yesterday thinking that I might just take an extra rest day if needed. Had consulted Faster Road Racing and the suggestion was that recovery is normally quite fast after a V02 session. Decided I would get up and get moving this morning and just see how it goes.

14 km Progressive Endurance Run as follows

4km at 5:5x's - averaged 5:53 over slight uphill and against the prevailing light wind
    4km at 5:4x's - averaged 5:40
    3km at 5:3x's - averaged 5:31
    3km at 5:2x's - averaged 5:20

Felt pretty ok today with avg HR of 143. Did an extra km to cooldown before stretching. Hamstrings (x2) stretching after the last few days.

Really enjoyed the Ballycotton reports on Boards. Some stellar racing all round and a great lift when you are in the middle of a programme. Hard work pays off. Particularly liked the remark by FBOT01 (courtesy of Mrs Mc) about the rewards for postponing pleasure ie enjoy the race or the pb afterglow.

Yeah he's a rock of sense Denis .... Makes ya want to slap him sometimes :)

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Yeah he's a rock of sense Denis .... Makes ya want to slap him sometimes :)

:D:D

Thursday

Rest day.

Friday

11km
    General aerobic run plus strides 2 sets (6 x 100m)

Used the HR monitor for this one just to see if I have a measure of the right effort for these runs. Aware that my pace and work rate is increasing a little so just want to make sure that the session objective is being realised. Cant believe the increase in temperature this morning. One light tech t-shirt was more than enough for me.

Finished the run in the local GAA field and got 1 set of strides done. Couldn't remember how many I had to do so I did 2 more intervals and headed home. Came in the back door and checked the book....jaysus 4 more to do. Ran back down to the field and ground them out on the training side of the sideline. Much happier heading home.

Yeah he's a rock of sense Denis .... Makes ya want to slap him sometimes
    Still laughin at that one Mrs MC......... touche :D

Thursday

Rest day.

Friday

11km
    General aerobic run plus strides 2 sets (6 x 100m)

Used the HR monitor for this one just to see if I have a measure of the right effort for these runs. Aware that my pace and work rate is increasing a little so just want to make sure that the session objective is being realised. Cant believe the increase in temperature this morning. One light tech t-shirt was more than enough for me.

Finished the run in the local GAA field and got 1 set of strides done. Couldn't remember how many I had to do so I did 2 more intervals and headed home. Came in the back door and checked the book....jaysus 4 more to do. Ran back down to the field and ground them out on the training side of the sideline. Much happier heading home.

Yeah he's a rock of sense Denis .... Makes ya want to slap him sometimes
    Still laughin at that one Mrs MC......... touche :D

Fair play to you for going out the door again !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Some great work going on here D, fair play.

Advertisement