Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better late than never

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Good to see you back in action, thought I hadn't spotted you around Griffith Ave for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice route, run most of those roads fairly regularly myself. Good to see you at St. Anne's yesterday, welcome back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Thanks for the good wishes folks. The recovery continues and feeling much better.

Monday

Rest day.

Tuesday

7km aerobic run. Ran this at 5.33/km pace and included the out of town Swords Road hill from Drumcondra. Singer probably doesn't even notice the hill on his "runmutes" but just wanted to add a little pep on todays run. Feeling good.

Have planned a controlled Parkrun on the 14th and then the Cooley Coast 10 km Road Race the following week. Think I will have enough recovery done to put in a strong performance rather than an eyes out one. Will then gauge where I am at. Day after the Cooley Race I will be out of action for a few days with a small medical procedure but have been advised that it will only set me back 4-5 days. Hence the passion for getting at least a race or two in even if its not full on.

Wednesday

Settled for a 7 km tempo run this morning. Pace dictated by how I feel (aiming for more effort but sustainable pace).

Splits of
    5:53, 5:43, 5:55 (long hill), 5:32, 5:09, 4:37, and 5:28. Felt good to get some pace back into the legs. Ran each km by feel and checked the watch on the bleep (post km).

Wearing 2 layers on top (tech t shirt and a good base layer) to stay warm during runs and thats after running the winter with just a tech t-shirt on for all runs. Good to be out.

Thursday

Cross Training - swimming.

Friday

14 km Endurance Run: 4 km @ 5:5x's, 4 km at 5:4x's, 3 km at 5:3x's and 3 km at 5:2x's.
    Worked out fine and got 4km @ 5:50, 4 km at 5:42, 3 km at :5:29 eek, and 3km at 5:21.

Legs could feel it over the last 4km but it wasn't hard on the body as a whole. Recovered very quickly and feel that progress is solid. In the hills for the next 3 days and will get a 10km trail run in on sunday.

• Advertisement

Friday, Saturday and Sunday

Out on the hills getting some exercise whilst doing a remote emergency first aid course. Sure it might come in handy if I ever make a full effort in a race.

Monday

10 km - with 7km at 5:35/km and the 2 sets of 4x200m at 1 km pace. Really enjoyed these sets. Rarin to go towards the end of recovery each time and they were run very evenly and on target.

Decided that I will take on a fastish 5 km Parkrun this sat as part of the rehab. Will be aiming to run just outside of 22.30. Aim is to race the Cooley Coast Race on Fri the 20th and go for a pb (currently 47.02 from the Fingal Race Series 2015).

Wednesday

13 km endurance run.

4 km at 5:53/km
    3 km at 5:39/km
    3 km at 5:29/km
    3 km at 5:19/km

Run went well and had to control the pacing. Fat chance of that happening on race day. Spent a little time last night trying to plan out a few races before the hols otherwise I will be training for the sake of it.

Came up with the following:
    Date|Race|Distance|PB|Comment|
    14.5|Parkrun|5 Km| |10 KM pacing effort|
    20.5|Cooley Coast Race|10km|47:02|Going for a pb|
    31.5|Dunboyne |5 Miler|37:01|Going for a pb|
    11.6|Parkrun|5km|21:00|Going for a pb|
    18.6|Dunshaughlin|10 km||Target Race and another pb|
    30.6|Clonee|10km||"B"Target race- just in case|

Its my first table, and race plan, so looking forward to seeing some results after a couple of months training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

denis b wrote: »
    Wednesday

13 km endurance run.

4 km at 5:53/km
    3 km at 5:39/km
    3 km at 5:29/km
    3 km at 5:19/km

Run went well and had to control the pacing. Fat chance of that happening on race day. Spent a little time last night trying to plan out a few races before the hols otherwise I will be training for the sake of it.

Date|Race|Distance|Comment|
    14.5|Parkrun|5 Km|10 KM pacing effort|
    20.5|Cooley Coast Race|10km|Going for a pb|
    31.3|Dunboyne |5 Miler|Going for a pb|
    11.6|Parkrun|5km|Going for a pb|
    18.6|Dunshaughlin|10 km|Target Race and another pb|
    30.6|Clonee|10km|"B"Target race- just in case|

Its my first table, and race plan, so looking forward to seeing some results after a couple of months training.
    Lots of races fairly close together watch the recovery, best luck with them all, good to see you back hard at it. Are you doing ST Anne's on Saturday as Park run
    if you are there will catch up with you.

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Lots of races fairly close together watch the recovery, best luck with them all, good to see you back hard at it. Are you doing ST Anne's on Saturday as Park run
    if you are there will catch up with you.

Sure am G and will catch up. 10 km pb is quite soft (I hope) so will use the Cooleys to gauge fitness and hopefully take some time off the pb. Dunshaughlin will be the all out effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Sure am G and will catch up. 10 km pb is quite soft (I hope) so will use the Cooleys to gauge fitness and hopefully take some time off the pb. Dunshaughlin will be the all out effort.

Since you are now a table expert maybe add in a column with your current PBs so we can hold you accountable;)

Best of luck with plan. See you Saturday.

• Advertisement

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Since you are now a table expert maybe add in a column with your current PBs so we can hold you accountable;)

Best of luck with plan. See you Saturday.

GULP..... yes sir :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Dunboyne 5 mile is a super super race, will roll out the welcome mat :) Clonee 10k is ours too!!! Some great targets there Denis, the best of luck with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Best of luck Denis, another 21 smackdown in St Anne's.:P

Firedance wrote: »
    Dunboyne 5 mile is a super super race, will roll out the welcome mat :) Clonee 10k is ours too!!! Some great targets there Denis, the best of luck with them.

Cheers AM. Will be giving it my best. Its do or die time.
    Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Best of luck Denis, another 21 smackdown in St Anne's.:P

Yep. That 21:00 has to go.

Thursday

6 Km Recovery Run with 5 x 70 m strides. Its muggy out there today and see lots of new faces out there pounding the streets. Its DCM 2016 pre-season. Great to see.

Friday is rest day to taper into the first of the above schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

+1 to Dunboyne 5. Super race and I got my 5 mile PB there last year. Don't forget it's gun time only so don't get caught too far back at the start. The finish on the track is great but it is also the longest 300m you will ever run! Missing it this year as will be on hols.

Best of luck with the rest of the targets. No bother to you!

Saturday

3 km warm up at 5:15/km pace with 5x70 m strides thrown in the last km. Left just enough time to get some gentle stretching and chatting done. Lined up along with Kenny G who was taking the race in to finish his 22 mile LSR :eek:. Fair play and a great way to celebrate his 50th Parkrun.

This race was part 1 of the early summer series for me as a way of getting back to racing practice and fitness. Wanted to use this race as a way of getting some feedback on what the body could do after recent illness. Had said that I would run the first 3km at steady 4.30 pace and then run the last 2 km by feel [strong but not full on] ie without reference to the watch and purely by effort felt.

Arrived at the start covered in sweat after the warm up. At KennyG's suggestion I pushed up towards the front [must remember this]. Even at that the first 500m involved some waiting for ground to open up. Was good in a way as it held the pace in check (1st km 4:29).

Picked up speed on the downhill section and settled down through the woodland running the race line where the path weaved. Hit the hill at end of Lap 1 and shortened my stride (2nd Km 4:32). Remembered half way through the km that this is the section of a run that I switch off on and loose time. Straightened up and tried to figure how the pace felt - probably a bit hot for 10km to be honest but only marginally so (3rd km 4:37).

Settled down again and was starting to pull past a few fast starters. Moving along very nicely now and pace was increasing again as a consequence of passing people out. Had no idea of how fast I was moving at but it felt sustainable as part of a longer run than 5 km (4th km 4:23).

Head was now feeling really good and legs were not feeling any major strain. Knew the hill was just ahead and measured 50 double short strides to get up and over it. Just kept running nice and steady to pull past a few more runners near the end (5th km 3:49). Last km measured short on my watch so that probably means that a few of the other kms were run faster than indicated.

Nice run, delighted with progress and thanks to FBOT and Mrs KennyG for the shout out. Murph logged the time and still has the honours. Will race this course in a few weeks time for a pb.

Enjoy the sun one and all.

21:57 for the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Cough! Murph_D and FBOT01 shout out?

Saw you first lap and you looked good and strong. Good form as they say. What was time?

aquinn wrote: »
    Cough! Murph_D and FBOT01 shout out?

Saw you first lap and you looked good and strong. Good form as they say. What was time?

And QUINNER :P . Heard it and probably looked in your general direction but you can forgive a senior havin a senior moment!!!!!

21:57 for the run.

Good run Denis, think 46 soft judging by how that went 45 looks like better target:)

Good run Denis, think 46 soft judging by how that went 45 looks like better target:)

ah sure I might spread the pb's out over the season :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Good run Denis good to see ya today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Nice to be able to rattle off a sub-22 without too much bother! Best of luck with the PB attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Good run Denis, getting back into the swing of things there for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Date|Race|Distance|PB|Comment|
    14.5|Parkrun|5 Km| |10 KM pacing effort|
    20.5|Cooley Coast Race|10km|47:02|Going for a pb|
    31.5|Dunboyne |5 Miler|37:01|Going for a pb|
    11.6|Parkrun|5km|21:00|Going for a pb|
    18.6|Dunshaughlin|10 km||Target Race and another pb|
    30.6|Clonee|10km||"B"Target race- just in case|

That is a fine table and an equally fine set of goal races! Hmmm, 11/06, maybe a good date for another trip to the Northside...

Dunshaughlin is a great race, but I will probably miss it this year.

Good luck with it all, sir!

Sunday

Out in the hills cross training (climbing) for the day and making best use of this fine weather.

Monday

10 KM race on Friday.

10km tempo run with 1.6 km at race pace. Included 4 x 100m strides as well. Great morning but pre-race doubts are there despite recovery going so well. Probably need the forthcoming taper to re-group.

Prerace doubts are fine, just remember how controlled Saturday felt double
    time and add 1 minute for comfort and nice new pb.

Prerace doubts are fine, just remember how controlled Saturday felt double
    time and add 1 minute for comfort and nice new pb.

Too true G. That was the idea and knowing me was the reason why I set it down as a confidence booster.

Tuesday

5 km recovery run at around 6:00 per km. Funny how these recovery runs are sometimes more tiring that the aerobic and endurance runs. Guess thats why the programme has them slotted in. The body needs a little rest on the approach to the next target. Have registered for the race on Friday and ready to go.

Wednesday

Rest day....I wish!!!

Thursday

5 km Recovery run with 4x100m strides. Got out and bet the rain on the way home. Miserable out now but the run was enjoyable. Was awake during the night so got up and did some racing research for tomorrow night. Good old Mapmyrun....never sleeps. First 6 km of the Cooley 10km are downhill with the last 2.2km being...you guessed it - uphill. 33m climb on the last 2 km. Will arrive early and have a look at the course.

Managed to get back to sleep handy enough and slept well.

All the best tomorrow Denis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Good luck Denis!

Advertisement