Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing the Numbers game: Sub 5;10;17;36;60;80

Options
  • 07-11-2015 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Decided that it's time to start logging here again and start over with a new log.

This year was going well until I missed 6 weeks in September and October between a Chest Infection that kept recurring and spraining my ankle.

Have been back running 3 weeks now and feeling good and finally making progress again. This week was a big test with a reintroduction of speed work and I passed the test with flying colours!!

The log title comes from an attempt to set some long term goals and to put a time frame on them. So with that in mind the aim is to run sub 5 mins for the mile; sub 10 mins for 3km; sub 36 for 10k; sub 60 for 10 mile and sub 80 for the half marathon. I am setting myself 18 months to achieve this as that's when I'll turn 40.

PB's to date are as follows:
    3k - 10:39 County T&F 2015
    5k - 17:48 Castlepollard 2015
    10k - 38:28 Fingal 2015
    HM - 1:28:17 Bohermeen 2015

So a fair bit of work to be done on these to hit the targets but am confident I'll have a right good crack at them. HM is the one that scares me a bit as endurance has been my weakness in the past but have a great coach and my endurance has definitely improved since he has been working with me.

Training this week has been as follows:

Monday - 2 mile recovery @ 10:07
    Tuesday - 6 mile easy @ 8:45
    Wednesday - 6 mile easy @ 8:55 pace
    Thursday - 7 mile with 16 x 300mtrs with 45sec recovery (all between 60 and 63 sec)
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - 8.5 mile including 800mtrs @ 3:02, 3 mile tempo @ 6:54, 3 x 300mtrs (61,58,60)

Immediate target is a 10k in Belfast on 28th where I hope to do some damage to my 10k PB.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Welcome back man! Great to see you at it again. Best of luck with the new log and goals, they're tasty looking targets.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Good to see you back!
    Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hiding from the GAA boys? did you finally come out as a Tyrone fan or something ;)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Welcome back J. I'll hopefully see you in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

menoscemo wrote: »
    Hiding from the GAA boys? did you finally come out as a Tyrone fan or something ;)?

Ha ha something like that alright. I called Tyrone a free flowing adventurous attacking team - my credibility was shot after that!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Great to see this log on the go J - best of luck, hopefully catch up with you at a race or two

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Great to see you back J.

Is your boards handle a reflection that you've finally copped on from a music taste perspective :)

Back in black
    I hit the sack
    I've been too long I'm glad to be back
    Yes, I'm let loose
    From the noose
    That's kept me hanging about
    I've been looking at the sky
    'Cause it's gettin' me high
    Forget the hearse 'cause I never die
    I got nine lives
    Cat's eyes
    Abusin' every one of them and running wild

TbL

Great to see you back J.

Is your boards handle a reflection that you've finally copped on from a music taste perspective :)

Back in black
    I hit the sack
    Yes, I'm let loose
    From the noose
    I got nine lives
    Cat's eyes

TbL

That Bony M your quoting again?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

tang1 wrote: »
    That Bony M your quoting again?

You missing me and my Bony M, B? :)

TbL

You missing me and my Bony M, B? :)

TbL

Have Rasputin on repeat on the iPod C!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Just copped who you are! Great targets, max out speed before focusing on the longer targets. A good mile will aid a good 3k, which will then aid a good 5k and so on.

Great to see you back J.

Back in black
    I hit the sack
    Yes, I'm let loose
    From the noose
    I got nine lives
    Cat's eyes

TbL

Born to Run just seemed obvious and a blatant lie.:)
    Always was a bit of a metal head and happened to be listening to the album. I'm waiting to hear how you are still in the Bon Scott era ;)

Hope work settles down for you soon.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Just copped who you are! Great targets, max out speed before focusing on the longer targets. A good mile will aid a good 3k, which will then aid a good 5k and so on.

Cheers! I've never actually raced a mile and only do a 3k once a year (so 3 ever!) so need to do a few early next year to learn how to race them.

Sunday: 12 mile LSR (avg pace 8:45)

I definitely wasn't feeling the love for this today. Legs felt heavy after yesterday's session and the wind was howling and the rain coming down in sheets.

Weather meant I had to stick to the footpaths around town so it meant a bit of doubling back on myself and a few loops. Was aiming to keep the pace on the very easy side if easy and legs felt the same.

I found the first few miles tough as I seemed to be constantly running into a head wind and the rain was driving into my face. I usually don't bother with a gel on LSR's but took one with me today just in case and was glad of it after 6 miles. Ground out the rest of this keeping the pace consistent and was glad to get out of the rain. Legs were tired and heavy after this but no niggles so all good.

Happy with a nice tough week and total of 41.5 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Great to see you back at it.

Some nice numbers there, i'm robbing them to set my targets for the next 18 months, deadly!!

No doubt we will bump into each other at a race soon.

wowzer wrote: »
    Great to see you back at it.

Some nice numbers there, i'm robbing them to set my targets for the next 18 months, deadly!!

No doubt we will bump into each other at a race soon.

Definitely will see you at a few races. Think you need to get logging again so I can spy on your training.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Definitely will see you at a few races. Think you need to get logging again so I can spy on your training.

Just keep an eye on Ososlo and Wild Garlics logs and you will get an idea of what my training is like, that is once I get over this dodgy chest and find my motivation again after Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Welcome back, even if your musical references are going downhill :)

Ambitious targets, fair play to you... Best of luck with them!

annapr wrote: »
    Welcome back, even if your musical references are going downhill :)

Ambitious targets, fair play to you... Best of luck with them!

I haven't abandoned Bruce I'm just listening to other people:)

Monday 9th November: 2 mile recovery @ 9:28 pace

Done this straight after doing a circuits class around the pitch in the wind and rain. Kept the pace real handy as legs were fairly tired.

Tuesday 10th November: 6 mile easy @ 9:22 pace

Headed out straight after the dinner with usual running buddy. Had a fairly big dinner so made sure I kept the pace really handy which suited us both tonight especially as it was a fairly hilly route. Miles flew by with the chat and after all the wind and rain it was the perfect evening for running.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 11th Nov - 2 easy, 8x800 w/2:30 rec, 2 easy

Had to go to Dublin early this morning so was up at 5 am but thankfully got there before the traffic went into full meltdown - Nice reminder of why I moved back to the sticks! Still managed to get soaked to the bone and had to sit in my wet suit for the morning.

All that meant I didn't get out until this evening so had to head down to the track at the pitch with a head torch.

Done 2 miles warm up nice and handy (8:20;8:17) and after a good stretch started into the intervals. The rain had stopped but there was a strong wind which seemed to be at my back all the time.

Aim was to hit between 3:00 and 3:10 so was a bit on the quick side for most of these but the legs felt good and just didn't seem able to slow down. This felt comfortable and didn't have the usual grit the teeth to get through the last couple of intervals.

Splits were as follows:
    2:56;
    2:54;
    2:58;
    2:58;
    2:56;
    3:00;
    2:59;
    3:01.

Followed this with another 2 mile easy @ 7:58 and 8:20

Total: 8 miles

Tasty splits there, nice going J.

Friday 13th November: 6 mile easy @ 8:41 avg pace

Ended up taking yesterday as a rest day as work was very busy and really didn't fancy going out in the high winds yesterday evening.

So, for the first time in ages got up early this morning and headed out. It was a bit of a shock to the system to be running in 2 degrees temperature. Last run it was 16 degrees so a bit of a change.

I had the gloves on so wasn't really an issue once I got going. Wasn't fully awake so let the legs dictate the pace which was nice and sedate! Enjoyed this and the legs felt fresh - have to get back in the habit of getting out early again.

Splits: 8:50;8:47;8:45;8:36;8:41;8:35

Saturday 14th November: 2 mile easy, 2 x (2mile @ 7:00 w 2 min rec), 1km @ 3:50, 2mile easy.

Under pressure for time as my little princess was having her 3rd Birthday party today so had no choice but head out first thing after the porridge into the wind and rain. It really was horrible and I can't ever remember there being so much surface water on the paths.

Kept the warm-up miles nice and handy (8:26;8:30) and it didn't take the legs long to get up to speed on the first 2 miles.
    6:59
    6:52

Still took every second of the 2 min recovery and needed it. 2nd set was net downhill with the wind on my back so was on the quick side. Was feeling tired over the last half a mile of this and was starting to think of how tough the 1km would be. Again enjoyed the 2 min recovery standing on the street in the driving rain.
    6:50
    6:52

The km would be an out and back so the wind was at my back for first half and I would be running into it on the way back. First half was always about keeping the pace on target and the second half was about trying not to get blown into traffic. Delighted when the km beeped on the watch and was happy to get the speedy bits done.
    3:52
    Was standing sorting out a new podcast on the phone before the cool down when a car passed and sent a wave over me - up to my shoulders so just done the cool down and headed home like a drowned rat. (7:53;7:50)

Still delighted to get this done and hit the paces.

Total: 8.65 miles

Sunday 15th November: 12 mile LSR @8:31 avg pace

Out mid morning for this and knew it would be a miserable one given the conditions and the forecast.

I was soaked through about half a mile in but the wind was at my back so not all bad until I turned into the wind on the third mile and the rain was being driven into my face.

Made a last minute decision to vary the route and it worked out well as I was now out of the wind. It stopped raining for a few miles too and I was a bit happier just listening to a podcast. Miles just trundled by until about 3 mile from home when the driving rain started again and was facing into the wind - I speeded up a bit just to get out of the conditions! Happy to get this done and body feels fresh after another good, solid week.

8:26;8:21;8:39;8:33;8:24;8:29;8:27;8:23;8:23;8:35;8:46;8:28

Weekly Total: 42.9 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

It stopped raining for a few miles too and I was a bit happier just listening to a podcast.

Podcast of choice??

I have Marathon Talk / Rob Watson / 2nd Captains / Moncrieff/ Ted Talks.

Dont know if I should refer to you as TJ or JD :)

Podcast of choice??

I have Marathon Talk / Rob Watson / 2nd Captains / Moncrieff/ Ted Talks.

Dont know if I should refer to you as TJ or JD :)

2nd captains winning for me at the minute. Also listen to a lot of Irish history podcasts but always on the lookout for new ones so might try a few of those.

I answer to most things these days:)

Monday 16th Nov: 2.15 easy @ 9:28 avg pace

Very easy recovery run with 2 of the lads after circuit training. Just done laps of the two pitch tracks.

Tuesday 17th Nov: Rest - had a bit of a head cold so decided it would be best to stay in as weather was horrendous.

Wed 17th - 2easy,2 6:50, 1 6:30, 1 6:05. 2 easy

Splits: 9:56;9:31;7:06;6:48;6:31;6:07;9:24;9:04

A bit of a strange one as left this until very late. Was horrendous weather all day so decided to wait until evening to do this. Forgot that Mrs BinB had a turbo class so had my dinner and headed out after 9 pm. Had company of usual running buddy and first two miles were way too easy and asking a lot to pick up the pace. I was leading out the quick bits and it took half a mile to hit the right pace on the first mile but once I did it was no issue to keep pace. I upped the pace again for third mile and hit the target early on and was easy enough to maintain it. Although near the end I was feeling the effects of the big dinner. I upped the pace again for the fourth mile and running buddy couldn't really respond so was on my own. Upped the pace as much as possible but knew i was slightly off but effort was good. Last quarter of a mile was tough and if the idea was to stimulate the end of a race- it certainly achieved that and more! Kept the pace handy for the last two miles. A real toughie but enjoyed it and legs felt fine after it.

• Advertisement

Friday: 6.7 miles easy @ 8:49 avg pace

Got a call from our Team manager looking for a run tonight which for once suited me and fitted in with the plan nicely. Only problem was it was 8:30 before we met up to do this and it was freezing hard at that stage so we had to really watch our step in places as a couple of times we ended up doing bambi on ice impressions!! Still enjoyed this and miles flew by with the chat. Pace was nice and handy and was a very comfortable run.

Advertisement