Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,548 ✭✭✭✭briany

whiterebel wrote: »
    Yes.

Well, stuff that, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 120Filmshooter

Does anyone know if the Addresspal charge from the UK of €6.50 is included or not included in the calculation when they are working out if your item is worth more than €22.00 and therefore subject to VAT ?

For example if I purchase something for €19.00 including UK postage this is below the €22.00 so no VAT charged.

Or is the €6.50 Addresspal fee added to this making the total €25.50 and therefore incurring a VAT charge from customs and a €3.50 Anpost processing fee.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

See first post in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Does anyone know if the Addresspal charge from the UK of €6.50 is included or not included in the calculation when they are working out if your item is worth more than €22.00 and therefore subject to VAT ?

For example if I purchase something for €19.00 including UK postage this is below the €22.00 so no VAT charged.

Or is the €6.50 Addresspal fee added to this making the total €25.50 and therefore incurring a VAT charge from customs and a €3.50 Anpost processing fee.

Its included unfortunately. You would need total order value to be 15.50 or under.
    But I noticed eBay global shipping doesn't include their shipping cost in the customs calculation, just the item price + domestic shipping of the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭grimeire

Hey all,

I used addresspal for the first time in years last week since parcel motel is no longer an item. I swore blind i would never use them again after all my previous troubles with them.

The item i used it for was from an ebay auction. I got it for a steal in the end as the person who listed misspelt the name. They were normally going for £200+ but i got it for £23.

Today i got a email from addresspal looking for custom charges of the item. They valued the item at €35 which while more than i paid is still a nothing compared to what i could of paid.

New the item is over €400 and thats if you are lucky to find it in the first place in ireland.

I can see from the custom email that they opened the parcel as they know what it was but where did they come up with the valuation?

Has any one contested the custom fee and what happened? I assume of i had provided them proof of the fee i paid I would have to pay a reduced customs charged or are these charges fixed and they wont budge on them?

Also previously when i had to pay charges on items coming from either standard post or couriers(not addresspal) I would get a letter and i was usually charged 12.50 inspection fee even if the item only cost €25 which is obvs a nightmare to be paying on such low value items. I can see that fee is now reduced to 3.50 but is that fee reduced to 3.50 just for addresspal or is it now the standard fee for all an custom checks. i was shocked not to be getting hit with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭tiegan

grimeire wrote: »
    Hey all,

I used addresspal for the first time in years last week since parcel motel is no longer an item. I swore blind i would never use them again after all my previous troubles with them.

The item i used it for was from an ebay auction. I got it for a steal in the end as the person who listed misspelt the name. They were normally going for £200+ but i got it for £23.

Today i got a email from addresspal looking for custom charges of the item. They valued the item at €35 which while more than i paid is still a nothing compared to what i could of paid.

New the item is over €400 and thats if you are lucky to find it in the first place in ireland.

I can see from the custom email that they opened the parcel as they know what it was but where did they come up with the valuation?

Has any one contested the custom fee and what happened? I assume of i had provided them proof of the fee i paid I would have to pay a reduced customs charged or are these charges fixed and they wont budge on them?

Also previously when i had to pay charges on items coming from either standard post or couriers(not addresspal) I would get a letter and i was usually charged 12.50 inspection fee even if the item only cost €25 which is obvs a nightmare to be paying on such low value items. I can see that fee is now reduced to 3.50 but is that fee reduced to 3.50 just for addresspal or is it now the standard fee for all an custom checks. i was shocked not to be getting hit with it?

Addresspal is 3.50e DPD 5e and UPS an outrageous 15e - they call it a handling fee

I contacted them again today as still no movement and they told me they've now identified the issue and I should get notification of the customs charge soon. Joke

Any update on your parcel?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Gamergurll

I don't know much about this stuff so excuse my ignorance, but if I buy something on a UK site to address pal and then customs charge on it I am paying taxes twice? Bit of a stinger 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 38 AmyMay

Gamergurll wrote: »
    I don't know much about this stuff so excuse my ignorance, but if I buy something on a UK site to address pal and then customs charge on it I am paying taxes twice? Bit of a stinger ��

Yes as prev. mentioned on thread

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

About 6 posts back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭eamo22

Had an item arrive at addresspal last week from ebay. They emailed looking for a invoice. So I sent screenshots of the purchase. It was 90 odd pound. Received an email yesterday to pay customs charges and they valued the item at €35 and I owed €11.90. Never taught of it yesterday evening when I got home. Come in this evening and it has been delivered. I never paid the customs. Has it happened to anyone else. Should I just forget about it or pay them the €11.90

eamo22 wrote: »
    Had an item arrive at addresspal last week from ebay. They emailed looking for a invoice. So I sent screenshots of the purchase. It was 90 odd pound. Received an email yesterday to pay customs charges and they valued the item at €35 and I owed €11.90. Never taught of it yesterday evening when I got home. Come in this evening and it has been delivered. I never paid the customs. Has it happened to anyone else. Should I just forget about it or pay them the €11.90

Lol. Can they do anything right.
    I paid charges on something that cost me €20 (+6.50 + 3.50 + 23%) and I'm waiting a month for it to be delivered. Maybe the trick is to not pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭eamo22

spix wrote: »
    Lol. Can they do anything right.
    I paid charges on something that cost me €20 (+6.50 + 3.50 + 23%) and I'm waiting a month for it to be delivered. Maybe the trick is to not pay.

I have another item that cost possibly around the same at €20. All I was charged was the €6.50. When I got the email this morning about delivery I persumed it was that. I'll be in the post office tomorrow I'll ask but she will tell me to forget it. She hates addresspal since brexit. Returns have her heart broken

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

tiegan wrote: »
    Addresspal is 3.50e DPD 5e and UPS an outrageous 15e - they call it a handling fee

If you really don't want to pay anpost or dpd or DHL or whoever to act as your agent with revenue you'd just need to become your own import agent. Meaning you firstly file an Entry Summary Declaration, you then fill out all the paperwork on the Automated Import System, you arrange the transport, you are at the docks to receive it when it arrives, you put the item in your approved bonded storage warehouse where a customs agent from Revenue can inspect the goods, and you also apply for and acquire any import licenses that may be required.

Or you can pay An Post's or dpd's or DHL's admin charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭gussieg

Oh Uh Dave.
    Watch out.
    Zero Craic Patrol.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I give up- they are agreeing that they have lost *another* parcel in the US (this is the third).
    I keep getting promised that 'management will call you' to make an offer to resolve the first two- but months later, nada from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭gambithh

I have recently purchased these two items from ebay and should not
    have been charged extra tax on them as they are under the 22 euro
    limit.

Each had free postage to Hatfield Depot.

Customs have valued them at 27 and 30 euro and looking for extra money on both.

Are Revenue free to bypass the actual invoice and and add any value they feel?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

gambithh wrote: »
    I have recently purchased these two items from ebay and should not
    have been charged extra tax on them as they are under the 22 euro
    limit.

Each had free postage to Hatfield Depot.

Customs have valued them at 27 and 30 euro and looking for extra money on both.

Are Revenue free to bypass the actual invoice and and add any value they feel?
    What price were they? Are they being delivered as one item?
    The price of Address Pal gets added to the value of them. But if they are under €22 then the tofal should be good as I think AP is only around €4?
    Our current threshold is roughly €28 as they will not collect VAT of a negligible amount. They have set that as €6.
    Send customs the invoices when you dispute it.

2 seperate items

Item 1
    19 euro paypal transaction , revenue value it at 27 euro.

Item 2
    21.50 paypal transaction , revenue value it at 30 euro.

This has happened me more than once.
    Useless addresspal custome care came back with if i have a problem take it up with revenue,which there is no direct way of contacting them from their email.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,677 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Corruption, unreal, jobsworths, now you have the hassle of trying to sort it. Should be a Prime Time investigation into what is going on.

• Advertisement

Corruption, unreal, jobsworths, now you have the hassle of trying to sort it. Should be a Prime Time investigation into what is going on.

A customs / tax question wont effect you collecting your 188 a week.

2 seperate items

Item 1
    19 euro paypal transaction , revenue value it at 27 euro.

Item 2
    21.50 paypal transaction , revenue value it at 30 euro.

This has happened me more than once.
    Useless addresspal custome care came back with if i have a problem take it up with revenue,which there is no direct way of contacting them from their email.
    Ask AddressPal where they are getting their values for the products from.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭con747

Address Pal charge €6.50 from the UK and customs look up the value of items because a lot of vendors under declare true cost of items to avoid customs. I always get an email requesting evidence of the cost on my PayPal or bank statement with the amount on it.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Suckit wrote: »
    Ask AddressPal where they are getting their values for the products from.

I did...

" Please be advised that AddressPal is unable to answer queries on behalf of Irish Revenue. Sorry for the inconveniences. "

con747 wrote: »
    Address Pal charge €6.50 from the UK and customs look up the value of items because a lot of vendors under declare true cost of items to avoid customs. I always get an email requesting evidence of the cost on my PayPal or bank statement with the amount on it.

That would be fair.

I have never gotten this,just a demand for money because of a value they have plucked from thin air.

I would phone them and ask.
    I may also be inclined to ask if that answer above means they are getting the items valued from the revenue..

That would be fair.

I have never gotten this,just a demand for money because of a value they have plucked from thin air.

Address pal only ship and deliver so you need to get on to the customs section where your parcels are. They only answer phones after 11am and very rarely at that. Ring your sorting centre to ask to be put through to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,255 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Alas anything you buy from ebay is gonna be the same - highly unlikely the sellers on ebay are registered for VAT in Ireland so customs will look up the RRP and charge you accordingly.
    It's really nothing to do with AP - and customs are wise to the old scam of undervaluing items (not saying that is the case here)
    Stick with Amazon, EU or retailers that are VAT registered here

Once bought a (I think) Hobbit box set off Amazon private seller (before they became tax compliant) and it was only about 18 euro but at release was a whole lot more, customs asked for proof of price so I emailed them the Amazon purchase email and it got delivered a few days later with no extra charges. You won't get away with that with ebay

Also double check your email from customs OP because I have imported thousands of small items over the years and if any were in doubt of price I always received an email requesting proof of cost from customs with a timeframe to submit it before it was sent back to sender.

• Advertisement

I did...

" Please be advised that AddressPal is unable to answer queries on behalf of Irish Revenue. Sorry for the inconveniences. "

They smash random buttons on a calculator.

Advertisement