Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

What An Post are doing, which they absolutely should not be doing is including UK vat in the value of the item, hence charging VAT on VAT. Usually Amazon deduct the VAT if they see the package is going outside the UK, which is correct. But if you are using addresspal they don't bother as it's going to a UK address.

An Post know well this is happening yet decide to cash in anyway...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

bfa1509 wrote: »
    What An Post are doing, which they absolutely should not be doing is including UK vat in the value of the item, hence charging VAT on VAT. Usually Amazon deduct the VAT if they see the package is going outside the UK, which is correct. But if you are using addresspal they don't bother as it's going to a UK address.

An Post know well this is happening yet decide to cash in anyway...

UK VAT is nothing to do with AddressPal or any courier. Its not that Amazon don't bother deducting it, they can’t if its an internal transaction to a UK address. VAT doesn't go to An Post, it goes to Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

whiterebel wrote: »
    UK VAT is nothing to do with AddressPal or any courier. Its not that Amazon don't bother deducting it, they can’t if its an internal transaction to a UK address. VAT doesn't go to An Post, it goes to Revenue.

Exactly but Addresspal are including UK VAT in the "value" of the package, which is incorrect.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Exactly but Addresspal are including UK VAT in the "value" of the package, which is incorrect.

Its not incorrect. Its included in the landed value. This is not the EU anymore where you can't pay VAT twice. Same thing if it comes in from the US with Sales Tax. Charges are calculated on the total amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

sugarman wrote: »
    How quickly is stuff getting processed/delivered from the UK in recent days/weeks?

I need to order a present but I wont bother if theres a good chance it wont arrive in time.

1-2 days processing once delivered at addresspal, once processed another 4 days till delivery in Ireland. IF things go as they should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 theWebAdvisor

Just getting my first experience of Addresspals new system of requesting invoices. In theory this should solve a lot of peoples issues regarding false valuations, couple of things I have noticed.
    1. They are still not aware of correct VAT classes e.g. zero rated items such as books.
    2. They are now only giving 5 days to accept valuation or arrange returns from their UK base.
    3. You guessed it, they are openly admitting in the email valuation and charging is being done in the UK and not at the point of importation.
    "If you decide not to accept the charges advised by Irish Revenue, then you will have 5 days to provide a returns label to us OR to arrange collection of the item from our UK hub. "
    Revenue rules are
    "When is VAT payable on importation?
    Value-Added Tax (VAT) is payable at point of importation into the State. Imported goods are liable to VAT at the same rate as applies to similar goods sold within the State. For example, goods which are zero-rated on sale within the State are zero-rated at importation."
    Source
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/vat/goods-and-services-to-and-from-abroad/imports/when-is-vat-payable-on-importation.aspx

I initially though the new system may be an effort to tackle all the customer issues however may be more a reaction to people just giving up on goods and not accepting the valuations under the old system.

I have sent them an invoice for the item (book) and advised them of the correct VAT rates, interesting to see how it goes.

Valuation was always done in the UK and US, that's why their T&Cs clearly state the parcel can be opened. Actual entry can only be done on arrival to the state, so they are advising what charges will apply when it arrives in, which is reasonable. This shows why Parcel Motel got out of the business, getting flooded with parcels, no paperwork and people not accepting delivery. They are then left to return them.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 120Filmshooter

spix wrote: »
    Its included unfortunately. You would need total order value to be 15.50 or under.
    But I noticed eBay global shipping doesn't include their shipping cost in the customs calculation, just the item price + domestic shipping of the seller.

Thanks. I actually got a generic email a couple of days ago from Addresspal confirming this
    grimeire wrote: »

N

Has any one contested the custom fee and what happened? I assume of i had provided them proof of the fee i paid I would have to pay a reduced customs charged or are these charges fixed and they wont budge on them?

Yes I have done so about 6 weeks ago. They valued the item I purchased on Ebay at around €50.00. I actually paid £7.50 plus postage. I'm not specifically blaming AnPost as there was no invoice in the box.

I did appeal it. Box arrived 2 weeks later with no charges. You have to email them at ecommchargequery@anpost.ie with your Addresspal tracking number and your customs ref number and supply a copy of invoice etc. I gave them a screenshot of the actual ebay purchase page as this showed the item, what I paid and my Addrespal address and Number etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 120Filmshooter

Oh and regarding time frame etc I was told once you appeal item will not be returned to sender before being resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Got my parcel, no amazon documentation in the box, just a royal mail postage label - no value on the label that i can see, (addresspal label is stuck over the amazon label).

Box had been opened.

Address pal shipping / customs declaration label has a valuation of £68.

either they've made up the valuation or pulled info from a revenue product database?

so it doesn't matter what i paid for the coffee, even if I'd paid more for it, that's the valuation that they would apply?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 theWebAdvisor

whiterebel wrote: »
    Valuation was always done in the UK and US, that's why their T&Cs clearly state the parcel can be opened. Actual entry can only be done on arrival to the state, so they are advising what charges will apply when it arrives in, which is reasonable. This shows why Parcel Motel got out of the business, getting flooded with parcels, no paperwork and people not accepting delivery. They are then left to return them.

Charges can not apply to a zero rated item, never was charged on a zero rated item before Jan 21, invoice is being issued looking for payment whilst item is still in UK, it is not an advise of charges.
    It is not reasonable or acceptable for a business after four months to still not have the correct customs and tariff codes on their system.

They are advising the charges in advance to allow people to decide if they want it or not, which makes sense. No point in An Post trying to return it from Ireland. Revenue are quite clear on when charges are levied. Once the exchange rate doesn’t change (first of the month) there will be no change to the charges anyway. It doesn’t make any sense that they can’t figure out that books are zero rated by this stage. I think An Post blamed this on the new customs system, which doesn’t make much sense either.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

The thick plottens.

2 of the items I queried the valuation on are now showing up as being sorted in Dublin 12.

So, they imported them despite one not needing any further charges and one needing lesser charges then their evaluation.

I have no idea what will happen next but isnt it great gas altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 leroybrowne

ablelocks wrote: »
    Got my parcel, no amazon documentation in the box, just a royal mail postage label - no value on the label that i can see, (addresspal label is stuck over the amazon label).

Box had been opened.

Address pal shipping / customs declaration label has a valuation of £68.

either they've made up the valuation or pulled info from a revenue product database?

so it doesn't matter what i paid for the coffee, even if I'd paid more for it, that's the valuation that they would apply?

Isn't ground/bean coffee zero-rated as it's a food item?

Valuation wouldn't be relevant in that case, 0% of any amount is €0. There is VAT on coffee that's prepared (hot drinks etc) but even that is on a reduced rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭marilynrr

Hi all,

I purchased a second hand item from ebay. The price of the item with shipping came to £16. The seller included the invoice detailing the cost as explained by addresspal. I've now received an email saying the item is valued at €22.50 and there's €8 customs duty on it.

I've had a look on the An post and revenue pages and it doesn't seem like there is anything I can do about being charged even though no customs should be due. Is that correct?

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

marilynrr wrote: »
    Hi all,

I purchased a second hand item from ebay. The price of the item with shipping came to £16. The seller included the invoice detailing the cost as explained by addresspal. I've now received an email saying the item is valued at €22.50 and there's €8 customs duty on it.

I've had a look on the An post and revenue pages and it doesn't seem like there is anything I can do about being charged even though no customs should be due. Is that correct?

Thank you

Send reply with link where you purchased from and short explanation, should work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Best avoid addresspal altogether. I am getting shipping direct when seller is happy to ship and everything so far is slipping through the net. Getting items in a week on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

Hi all,

Thank you

Addresspals charge is €6.50, that would be added on to the 16

markmoto wrote: »
    Send reply with link where you purchased from and short explanation, should work.

Thanks, the email address seems to be automated with just a link to pay the customs charge.

Also n the An post website it says :Please note An Post is not able to answer queries about possible refunds for overcharges rising on the assessment of the Customs Charges or arising on a returns of goods.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Just pay it to get your item released and forget about addrespal

• Advertisement

Addresspals charge is €6.50, that would be added on to the 16

I was wondering earlier if that was what caused it but there was no mention of that by addresspal when they sent out their emails detailing how to use the service going forward.

Also surely the addresspal charge wouldn't be added on as that is an extra after the item has arrived in the country, and it hasn't been added to the cost before it was imported in?

The figure wouldn't add up either if that was the cost, it would be valued at slightly more!

Just pay it to get your item released and forget about addrespal

I will because I really want the item.

I stopped using addresspal since Brexit so this is the first time I have used it because it was something I really wanted to get. It's just annoying that they add on a charge like that and I seem to have no choice but to pay it!

I was wondering earlier if that was what caused it but there was no mention of that by addresspal when they sent out their emails detailing how to use the service going forward.

Also surely the addresspal charge wouldn't be added on as that is an extra after the item has arrived in the country, and it hasn't been added to the cost before it was imported in?

The figure wouldn't add up either if that was the cost, it would be valued at slightly more!

Address pal are uk based

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Where was the item delivered from to Addresspal? If it was shipped from outside the UK to Addresspal in UK and onwards to you then that cost would be different to it coming direct from UK.

Address pal are uk based

Addresspal is run by An post!

Where was the item delivered from to Addresspal? If it was shipped from outside the UK to Addresspal in UK and onwards to you then that cost would be different to it coming direct from UK.

The UK

Is it not air business that run addresspal

Irrelevant. The €6.50 charge is to get it from the UK to Ireland so is included in the total for VAT

Is it not air business that run addresspal

No, it's part of An post
    Irrelevant. The €6.50 charge is to get it from the UK to Ireland so is included in the total for VAT

That's so disappointing as they didn't explain it before and the charge isn't applied until after it's received in Ireland

I see my thread has been moved. Apologies to the Mods, I didn't realise there was a thread for addresspal :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

In a further twist to my wonderful story I asked for my goods to be delivered to a local An Post locker instead of my property.

All tracking info has vanished into the mist.

Great gas.

Advertisement