Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭gussieg

considering they reckon 27 euro for a pair of sports socks is reasonable, i dont hold out much hope of getting any sense out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I bought an item from the UK with a value of £18.00 incl shipping (€20.99 as of today in Euro)

AddressPal processed my item yesterday and now I received an email stating the value was €33.99 and I'm being charged customs duty and processing fees..

Surely this isn't right?

Contacted Revenue who told me to email ecommchargequery@anpost.ie

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Add €6.50 AdressPal onto the value for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭gambithh

I have finally cot a confirmation from Revenue

The €22 euro limit includes the shipping costs associated with getting the product to Ireland.(6.50 current with addresspal)

So the magic number is 15.50 euro or below when shopping on .co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭con747

gambithh wrote: »
    I have finally cot a confirmation from Revenue

The €22 euro limit includes the shipping costs associated with getting the product to Ireland.(6.50 current with addresspal)

So the magic number is 15.50 euro or below when shopping on .co.uk

Only if your using addresspal. They usually don't look for vat if the amount due is €6 or €7 from memory, so you can in effect buy something with postage charges included to the value of around €27-€28 afaik, stand open to correction though.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The €6 lower limit for collection is gone since January. The figure for VAT calculations is €22. This is gone on 1st July.

Information is here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055862554

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭gussieg

I bought an item from the UK with a value of £18.00 incl shipping (€20.99 as of today in Euro)

AddressPal processed my item yesterday and now I received an email stating the value was €33.99 and I'm being charged customs duty and processing fees..

Surely this isn't right?

Contacted Revenue who told me to email ecommchargequery@anpost.ie

thats the exact amount my parcel was valued at too!
    a used secondhand pari of sandals. im embarrassed now that i was even trying to buy them!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Gamergurll

Wait, so they include the cost of address pal in the value of the item? Scam of the highest order

• Registered Users Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I just received a phone call off a lady claiming to be from Address Pal.
    Whilst I signed up to the service I never used it.
    She asked me was I expecting a package and I said No and then she basically hung up.
    I take it’s a scam and ye can watch out for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭gambithh

Gamergurll wrote: »
    Wait, so they include the cost of address pal in the value of the item? Scam of the highest order

Yes,and by no means is this information easy to find.

Above 15.50 euro you have to hand customs money because they taake the 6.50 into account with the 22 euro limit

• Advertisement

I just received a phone call off a lady claiming to be from Address Pal.
    Whilst I signed up to the service I never used it.
    She asked me was I expecting a package and I said No and then she basically hung up.
    I take it’s a scam and ye can watch out for it.

If the Addresspal ID is missing they check with people of the same name who are registered in the system to see if they are missing an expected parcel. Probably not a scam.

Gamergurll wrote: »

It is a customs procedure that VAT/Duty is calculated on the landed price of the article - this is to include Cost, Insurance and Freight. It's the same for every single item imported into the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

whiterebel wrote: »
    If the Addresspal ID is missing they check with people of the same name who are registered in the system to see if they are missing an expected parcel. Probably not a scam.

Alright, it was off a private number and that kind of put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭ablelocks

is it possible to challenge the value that they assigned on the item?

I ordered coffee from Amazon and paid £35 ~€42

But the valuation revenue / an post put on it was as follows :

Customs Value: € 85.15
    Import Duty: € 0.00
    Excise Duty:€ 0.00
    VAT: € 19.58
    An Post Fee:€ 3.50
    Total paid: € 23.08

I don't know how the value doubled, even accounting for the inclusion of the shipping fees etc.

It could be that Amazon provided a value that was higher than what i paid on the paperwork, so if that's the case i'll contact them - I'll have the package next week.

but any comments or advice would be apprectiated...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭jamesieliz

Alright, it was off a private number and that kind of put me off.

This is strange because something similar happened to me yesterday:
    I got a call from a blocked number so I didn’t answer it.
    But then today I got an email from AddressPal/AnPost saying my delivery from UK was on the way and had charged my account 6.50 for it 😳
    I’m not expecting any delivery so it looks like I have been charged for someone else’s shipment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

On the flip side of people getting their items overvalued, AddressPal valued my $120 item from Amazon US at $30, and I didn't get caught for any customs fees either. Although I'm guessing I probably got lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Just wondering do you HAVE to use your home address?? Can I revert to collecting at my local PO..??

Am back working Mon to Fri and am gone before postman arrives. Found it handier to collect on sat morning in PO in the old days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭con747

Masala wrote: »
    Just wondering do you HAVE to use your home address?? Can I revert to collecting at my local PO..??

Am back working Mon to Fri and am gone before postman arrives. Found it handier to collect on sat morning in PO in the old days.

You still can by the look of this https://addresspal.anpost.ie/how-it-works

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You will be paying VAT twice - as the item is being delivered to the UK it has to have UK VAT charged; then it has to have Irish VAT charged when re-delivered here.

There is no way around this other than to not use a transhipment service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

gambithh wrote: »
    Yes,and by no means is this information easy to find.

Above 15.50 euro you have to hand customs money because they taake the 6.50 into account with the 22 euro limit

It's fairly simple to find.

Googling "import VAT charges" gives a number of revenue.ie pages which make it very clear that the customs value includes cost, transport, insurance, and handling charges.
    gussieg wrote: »
    considering they reckon 27 euro for a pair of sports socks is reasonable, i dont hold out much hope of getting any sense out of them.
    Bit ironic given the detailed example given on that first revenue link is "Adult sports socks" valued at 15 quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭tiegan

Received today by email from Addresspal

You may be contacted by our UK AddressPal team (our partner company, Air Business) to verify the value of your item which is being shipped into Ireland. This is to help make the Irish Revenue assessment as quick as possible.
    Our team may contact you via email on AddressPal.Invoices@airbusiness.com or through our UK phone number +441727519XXX. Please be aware that we will never ask for your credit card or banking details.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 r3plaY

So i purchased a watch band x2 on ebay 5 pounds each. Totaling to 10 pounds free shipping. So 12 euro plus 6.50 for addresspal service in uk. Sums up to around 20e allin
    Received a text today with link to pay my customs. For them the item value and all was 24.45 so they of course addres vat and anpost fee to it and i have to pay 9.12 customs charges. I know its not much but it should be 0 not almkst extra 10 for nothing. Multiply this by 1000 users a day you get a nice sum of money for free.
    Its all big scam nothing else.

€3.50? Yep, that will make them billionaires alright. VAT paid goes to Revenue, not An Post. If there isn"t paperwork included they will guess the value, normally using google.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

€3.50? Yep, that will make them billionaires alright. VAT paid goes to Revenue, not An Post. If there isn"t paperwork included they will guess the value, normally using google.

Well companies like parcel motels whole business was based on their 3.50 forwarding fee. Made them enough to invest in lockers all over the country.

Maybe they should have kept the fee at €10, they would have become billionaires 3 times faster.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Maybe they should have kept the fee at €10, they would have become billionaires 3 times faster.....

Addresspal 6.50 + 3.50 = €10 , coincidence I think not

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

HI all

If you buy an item on ebay and query the VAT charge what is the correct invoice to send?

I sent one from PayPal for an item but they got back to me asking for another one as it did not make any mention of what the item was. I'm sure this was ok a few weeks ago..

I sent a print of the "order details" from ebay too.

I hate this. It is such a pain.

One with a correct value and description.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭ablelocks

ablelocks wrote: »
    is it possible to challenge the value that they assigned on the item?

I ordered coffee from Amazon and paid £35 ~€42

But the valuation revenue / an post put on it was as follows :

Customs Value: € 85.15
    Import Duty: € 0.00
    Excise Duty:€ 0.00
    VAT: € 19.58
    An Post Fee:€ 3.50
    Total paid: € 23.08

I don't know how the value doubled, even accounting for the inclusion of the shipping fees etc.

It could be that Amazon provided a value that was higher than what i paid on the paperwork, so if that's the case i'll contact them - I'll have the package next week.

but any comments or advice would be apprectiated...

Anyone?

• Advertisement

Go back a few pages. It has been done quite a few times.

Advertisement