Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

Great, thank you. :)

TheTorment wrote: »

If I have already paid UK VAT on this item will I be charged VAT for Ireland now when An Post get it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

TheTorment wrote: »
    If I have already paid UK VAT on this item will I be charged VAT for Ireland now when An Post get it?

Probably, UK VAT is nothing to do with the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have found a garden machinery item, from a UK dealer, that's less than half the price here. It will be around €180 to Addresspal & it's a metre long. I know that I will have to pay Irish VAT but are there additional charges for larger items ?

Am I right in thinking that you don't know how much AP will add until they debit your card ?

Edit would this be about right:

Item €180
    VAT €36
    AP €6.50 + €3.50

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You can check the AddressPal website for maximum dimensions and weight, and extra charges if applicable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 kogrady

kogrady wrote: »
    Seems that they are getting up to date now

Item delivered to UK hub yesterday 11.50am 10th
    Email with tracking and €6.50 charged 9.15pm 10th
    Customs payment request email today 11th 16.56 pm
    (Customs charged seemed about right to what I paid -not sure if the seller included an invoice)
    Paid customs today 11th 17.34pm

Will update once it’s delivered but so far so good

Above parcel delivered to my door today 15th
    So just under a week (5 working days) to be delivered

(But invoice was included do customs calculated from that and were calculated and then paid the same day as parcel received)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Weepsie wrote: »
    Has anyone bought something from eBay in the last few months? I'm after a particular thing, that can't be shipped here from Amazon for some reason and there's no local supplier. It's a used good and would cost approx £100/€120 max , but I don't know if VAT and charges apply to a second hand good/private seller. I presume they will and I'd be looking at another 20-30 quid on top.

I have.
    It gave import charges before paying through global shipping program.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Shellie

Has anyone had any success getting AnPost/AddresPal to revalue a package for VAT?

I ordered item on Feb 15 that should be zero VAT (children's picture books), got a VAT charge notice on Feb 25 and appealed it the next day. I finally got a response saying they have a backlog and are working through it with no ETA. Its only a small charge and not urgent but it was more that the charge was inaccurate that I appealed.

I have another delivery in the same situation (got VAT charge notice yesterday) and I'm debating just paying the €20 VAT and accepting it as hassle tax.

If anyone has had success appealing and having an item reassessed/revalued I'd love to hear, otherwise I'll cut my losses and know for next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 paulie1983

Waiting since January 24th for a revaluation. Haven't used Addresspal since and don't plan to again. I was getting charged the full rate rather than 9% and the had greatly over estimated my items value.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 kogrady

Discodog wrote: »
    I have found a garden machinery item, from a UK dealer, that's less than half the price here. It will be around €180 to Addresspal & it's a metre long. I know that I will have to pay Irish VAT but are there additional charges for larger items ?

Am I right in thinking that you don't know how much AP will add until they debit your card ?

Edit would this be about right:

Item €180
    VAT €36
    AP €6.50 + €3.50

In my experience they debit €6.50 when they receive it, and then email you for your invoice, about 24-48 hours later you get another email with the customs due (think this is once it reaches Ireland) you should probably factor in additional charge for customs duty as well as vat if your item costs over €150 (they add AP €6.50 charge to the value)
    You pay the 3.50 at the time you pay the VAT/customs

I would check the AP website for the size guides incase it’s oversized because they used to charge €25 for oversize items and some items they might not accept at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gussieg

Paid for a pair of second-hand that's used sandals on eBay not to be hit with an unpaid item mark, for 10.99 sterling, went to addresspal, now they are looking for another tenner in customs for them. At this stage on top of the 6.50 they have already charged, they can keep them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

kogrady wrote: »
    In my experience they debit €6.50 when they receive it, and then email you for your invoice, about 24-48 hours later you get another email with the customs due (think this is once it reaches Ireland) you should probably factor in additional charge for customs duty as well as vat if your item costs over €150 (they add AP €6.50 charge to the value)
    You pay the 3.50 at the time you pay the VAT/customs

I would check the AP website for the size guides incase it’s oversized because they used to charge €25 for oversize items and some items they might not accept at all

Thanks. I am balancing getting it via AP or getting it sent direct via Royal Mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Fernagx

Mod - This isn't a forum to just join and start bashing services and make accusations. Like any forum on boards.ie please read through the charters and stickied posts before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Fernagx

Mod - See post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Rewired

Shellie wrote: »
    Has anyone had any success getting AnPost/AddresPal to revalue a package for VAT?

I ordered item on Feb 15 that should be zero VAT (children's picture books), got a VAT charge notice on Feb 25 and appealed it the next day. I finally got a response saying they have a backlog and are working through it with no ETA. Its only a small charge and not urgent but it was more that the charge was inaccurate that I appealed.
    If it's books, I'd wait; I've had similar packages released automatically after initially getting a VAT bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Anyone get frustrated when they have an item checked into Dublin hub , and another 1 checked in 4 days later. The later one is delivered within 2 days and the first one is still sitting there. I dont know how they manage that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gussieg

Does a box of teabags come under perishable goods I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭VG31

gussieg wrote: »
    Does a box of teabags come under perishable goods I wonder

No perishable would be things like fresh fruit and vegetables, meat, dairy etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Just got a customs email for an addresspal item from the UK last night. I'd got a £10 discount on my order at the time, but it seems for customs valuation they took what I paid incl UK shipping, plus the £10 discount I got, plus the 6.50 addresspal fee. It ended up a good bit more than I expected. I paid up as I didn't want it to be delayed, but I probably won't be ordering from the UK again soon if I can help it.

Customs don’t take discounts into account when assessing charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

Am I the only person that is annoyed by the way Addresspal are dealing with low value items from the UK at the moment?

For example - an item cost was 21 sterling including post and British VAT from the UK. What I experienced was that they then valued the item at 30 euro and proceeded to slap on 7.50 Irish VAT and their 3.50 handling fee - and of course the 6.50 delivery

Addresspal at the moment means

You will pay UK VAT and then pay Irish VAT on the total of item cost + UK VAT. Or even more with the inflated customs estimates they seem to be doing at the moment.

Sorry for the rant - but for a lot of items - if they aren't available on places like Amazon etc. then Irish consumers are stuck ordering via Addresspal - and it really seems like an post are really taking advantage of the situation here.

I've complained to them anyways - but just wanted to see what other peoples views are ? - maybe I'm being unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Sounds about right. The Irish Vat will value the original item plus p&p and the addresspal delivery charge to Ireland . Of course you'll pay UK vat, as you bought in the UK for delivery in the UK. You then imported k to Ireland from a non EU country and are liable for Irish VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

That is the absolute correct way it is being done. They are the normal international rules of trade and they must be adhered to.

If you want to blame someone, blame Britain. They voted for it.

And there's no "inflated" value. There is a very precise formula that everyone must adhere to including the exchange rate (March = €1.1502/£1)

You vat will be based on the combination of cost of the item multiplied by 1.1502 + 6.50 delivery fee and the handling fee. So VAT - assuming they are following the international trade rules - should equate to €7.39.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

So 21 sterling = 24.46 euro - the valuation An Post listed in the charges was 30 euro? they are including their own delivery charge as well - even though you could argue that's presumably after customs clearance?

btw I am not questioning the need to pay VAT on imports into the EU- but as my title says - I think (my second point) is that a handling fee of 3.50 seems very high on low value items.

In my case I paid 24.46 euro and then using AddressPal cost me a 70% markup.

What AddressPal could do is decide that they are being paid pretty well already relative to the price/size of the item - and wave the 3.50 handling fee for low cost items.
    They could also provide a mechanism to allow customers to forward receipts to give the exact value for items if it is not apparent.

I'd be interested to see if anyone - hasn't gotten charged by An Post (i.e. under 22 euro) - and do they still get this 3.50 charge !

Anyways I'll stop posting/bothering your guys on this now - as its apparent everyone else thinks this is okay :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Google Brexit Richard. The Uk have left the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭VG31

btw I am not questioning the need to pay VAT on imports into the EU- but as my title says - I think (my second point) is that a handling fee of 3.50 seems very high on low value items.

The fee was €10 minimum before January.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭dubrov

But surely imports from the uk can claim back UK VAT. So really addresspal should be charging ROI VAT and offsetting it against UK VAT already paid.

I guess the latter is too difficult to administer but it really kills their use case without it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

So 21 sterling = 24.46 euro - the valuation An Post listed in the charges was 30 euro? they are including their own delivery charge as well - even though you could argue that's presumably after customs clearance?

What AddressPal could do is decide that they are being paid pretty well already relative to the price/size of the item - and wave the 3.50 handling fee for low cost items.
    They could also provide a mechanism to allow customers to forward receipts to give the exact value for items if it is not apparent.

I'd be interested to see if anyone - hasn't gotten charged by An Post (i.e. under 22 euro) - and do they still get this 3.50 charge !

Anyways I'll stop posting/bothering your guys on this now - as its apparent everyone else thinks this is okay :-)
    I don't think you understand how importing from a non-eu country into the eu works. Doesn't matter whether its from the UK, China, USA, NZ etc.

Vat is applied on the landed cost. Your landed cost is the cost of the good INCKUDING any delivery and handling charges applied outside the eu.

So as I explained quite clearly (i think) it is the cost of the item (£21) x he revenue exchange rate (1.1502 which is better than the current official bank rate) PLUS the addresspal delivery cost PLUS the addresspal handling cost.

If you were in the UK and importing from Ireland, the same applies. If you were in Australia and importing from Germany, the same applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

VG31 wrote: »
    The fee was €10 minimum before January.

I got caught with this with a $19.99 part from the US. I paid Addresspal €16.99 to ship it here then had to pay customs and the €10 An Post collection fee. So I paid An Post €26.99 to ship a $19.99 part here. Lesson learned!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Have you read the replies? The value was €24.60 plus the €6.50 addresspal charge. You brought the value at entry in to Ireland up to €30 thus liable to 21% VAT plus an admin charge from the carrier.
    Addresspal or An Post have no hand act or part in deciding what VAT you had to pay. You did that by deciding not to have the item sent direct to Ireland.
    The handling fee is only if they must process a vat payment. It doesn't apply if there's no vat or it was already paid by the customer at point of sale. €3.50 is one if the cheapest admin charges out there by far.

Advertisement