Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

An Post tracking down?

Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭dodzy

Folk, if I purchase a small package dewalt tool from Amazon Uk that does not ship to ROI and route it through addresspal, am I right in saying that an post will charge me the €10 plus vat @ 23% (on the cost of the item plus delivery) ? Seeing that vat has already been added by AMZ, would they refund with proof that final destination was here in ROI?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

dodzy wrote: »
    Folk, if I purchase a small package dewalt tool from Amazon Uk that does not ship to ROI and route it through addresspal, am I right in saying that an post will charge me the €10 plus vat @ 23% (on the cost of the item plus delivery) ? Seeing that vat has already been added by AMZ, would they refund with proof that final destination was here in ROI?

Doubt it! As far as AMZ is concerned the final destination is the delivery address, i.e. a warehouse/post box in England.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

AddressPal thread is here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057516584 it gives you a link to all the charges. I'll move your post over there later. Amazon probably can't refund as it is to a UK address. Please note if it contains a Lithium ion battery is it prohibiited via AddressPal.

Thanks lads, yeah, I’d say AMZ would effectively view AP As the customer, thus screwing me with double VAT. Naked unit so no battery issues. Pity, was a great deal. Poxy brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Thanks lads, yeah, I’d say AMZ would effectively view AP As the customer, thus screwing me with double VAT. Naked unit so no battery issues. Pity, was a great deal. Poxy brexit.

Did you try Hagglezon to see if available in the other countries?

whiterebel wrote: »
    Did you try Hagglezon to see if available in the other countries?

Never heard of it! Cheers WR, I’ll have a look. It was a dewalt 210 cordless orbital sander. A steal at 88quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Masala

Hi All... Got an email from AN POST advising of

' Your Package CE165XXXXXXXXIE is awaiting delivery and a payment of 2.99 EUR is needed - CLICK HERE'

SO see below screenshot when I click thru.... things that stick out for me are

1. it defaults in Irish
    2. It asks for Delivery & Shipping... rather than Customs Duties etc
    3. I haven't got notice of the AddressPal €6.50 charge yet... (I am expecting a package !)

Anyone think this is a spam? It came from
    anpost <delivery@support-anpost.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭VG31

Masala wrote: »

' Your Package CE165XXXXXXXXIE is awaiting delivery and a payment of 2.99 EUR is needed - CLICK HERE'

1. it defaults in Irish
    3. I haven't got notice of the AddressPal €6.50 charge yet... (I am expecting a package !)

That looks like a scam to me. €2.99 with no breakdown is suspicious. Does the package CE165XXXXXXXXIE exist on the tracking?

VG31 wrote: »
    That looks like a scam to me. €2.99 with no breakdown is suspicious. Does the package CE165XXXXXXXXIE exist on the tracking?

No.... just checked my Addresspal account and I don’t see my expected package listed. I haven’t received the usual message from Address pal either saying they have automatically debited the €6-50. I thought that gets debited first BEFORE details of customs were advised. Strange... not going to do anything on this email and see how it plays out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

Despite requesting delivery to an An post locker on Thursday my deliveries were refused by local sorting office this morning.

They really are a shambles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

Masala wrote: »

1. it defaults in Irish

I received a similar email last week claiming to be from An Post stating I owed 2.99Euro before my item could be delivered from DHL (??). Obviously a scam but they put a little effort into the (fake) website so credit for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Bought an item for £16.80 so say €20
    Address pal charged €6.50 (All prices are in Euro and are inclusive of VAT)

So my item is less than the threshold for vat. If there is Vat because of the shippping the vat is on €20
    So 4.60+ 3.50 handling. = 8.10

So how do an post get

Customs value €38.78
    Import Duty: 0
    Excise Duty: 0
    VAT: 8.91
    An Post Fee:3.5

€ 12.41

Is there a number I can ring ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭bassy

got email from addresspal with tracking number and says my package be delivered in 3-4 days,but its still sitting in heathrow hub since the 22nd.

ted1 wrote: »
    Bought an item for £16.80 so say €20
    Address pal charged €6.50 (All prices are in Euro and are inclusive of VAT)

Is there a number I can ring ?

Go back a few pages for the Contact email to contest charges.
    VAT, as per the first post in this thread, is charged on value+freight, so your starting point is approx €26.50. If no invoice included they usually google a value.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭ablelocks

ablelocks wrote: »
    Got my parcel, no amazon documentation in the box, just a royal mail postage label - no value on the label that i can see, (addresspal label is stuck over the amazon label).

Box had been opened.

Address pal shipping / customs declaration label has a valuation of £68.

either they've made up the valuation or pulled info from a revenue product database?

so it doesn't matter what i paid for the coffee, even if I'd paid more for it, that's the valuation that they would apply?
    Isn't ground/bean coffee zero-rated as it's a food item?

Valuation wouldn't be relevant in that case, 0% of any amount is €0. There is VAT on coffee that's prepared (hot drinks etc) but even that is on a reduced rate.

I had sent an email to eCommChargeQuery@anpost.ie last week.

Got a response today - they will do a full refund (not sure if that's because coffee is zero rated or not)
    If the value is not visually apparent on items that are received by Addresspal, an estimate may have to be generated. As items that are posted domestically in the UK , do not always have the correct customs declaration documentation required for importation to Ireland.

Here is a link to the revenue website on how a sample charge is calculated.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/buying-goods-from-outside-the-eu.aspx

so yes, they made up the valuation based on wherever they found a price for the coffee.

I've asked them if the same thing will apply the next time i order...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

ablelocks wrote: »
    I had sent an email to eCommChargeQuery@anpost.ie last week.

Got a response today - they will do a full refund (not sure if that's because coffee is zero rated or not)

so yes, they made up the valuation based on wherever they found a price for the coffee.

I've asked them if the same thing will apply the next time i order...

The question is why aren't addresspal able to recognize amazon packaging and search the product name on amazon for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

I ordered some zero rated products and one other which is calculated at the standard rate. Overall value was €40. Zero rated total €23 and standard rated €17.

So An Post have taken €6.50 which is what I was expecting. And then I knew there would be a customs charge of some sort but they've sent me a breakdown with the following:

Customs value: €52.70
    VAT: €12.11
    An Post fee: €3.50
    Total to be paid: €15.61

That doesn't seem to be right, does it?

sterz wrote: »
    I ordered some zero rated products and one other which is calculated at the standard rate. Overall value was €40. Zero rated total €23 and standard rated €17.

So An Post have taken €6.50 which is what I was expecting. And then I knew there would be a customs charge of some sort but they've sent me a breakdown with the following:

Customs value: €52.70
    VAT: €12.11
    An Post fee: €3.50
    Total to be paid: €15.61

That doesn't seem to be right, does it?

No, it doesn't.. If right was right, and assuming that delivery from the seller to AL10 was free, they should be charging nothing on the following basis:

My VAT calculation, spreading the €6.50 Addresspal fee proportionately over all the products, results in:

(23+(23/40*6.5)) @ 0%. VAT=0
    (17+(17/40*6.5) = €19.76 which is below the threshold. VAT = 0

Of course, someone could argue that ALL the €6.50 is VAT liable @ 23%, in which case, the VAT value would be €23.50 and VAT of €5.40 would be due, triggering the extra An Post €3 charge on top, resulting in the highest possible total charge of €8.40.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭bassy

bassy wrote: »
    got email from addresspal with tracking number and says my package be delivered in 3-4 days,but its still sitting in heathrow hub since the 22nd.

delivered today,no customs or tax as the item was 10.00 pounds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Thanks, TomOnBoard. Am I best then querying it now and sorting it out, or pay the charge and then dispute it?

Want the items asap so would prefer not to delay it too much if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Cotts72

New to address pal trying to order from a UK site but they don't Deliver to the postcode provided, is this normal?

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    No, it doesn't.. If right was right, and assuming that delivery from the seller to AL10 was free, they should be charging nothing on the following basis:

My VAT calculation, spreading the €6.50 Addresspal fee proportionately over all the products, results in:

(23+(23/40*6.5)) @ 0%. VAT=0
    (17+(17/40*6.5) = €19.76 which is below the threshold. VAT = 0

Of course, someone could argue that ALL the €6.50 is VAT liable @ 23%, in which case, the VAT value would be €23.50 and VAT of €5.40 would be due, triggering the extra An Post €3 charge on top, resulting in the highest possible total charge of €8.40.

From what I can remember, once you have 2 VAT rates, you still include the 0 rated goods in the calculation for clearance, so the whole value is taken into account. You would split the 6.50 between the 2 items, and pay VAT on it.

Thanks, TomOnBoard. Am I best then querying it now and sorting it out, or pay the charge and then dispute it?

You need to query it first, which is taking weeks according to previous posters. Go back some of the pages on this thread and you will find the email address to send the query to.

I looked it up myself to put it in the first post of this thread ecommchargequery@anpost.ie

I'd query it wth them straight away. There's an email address mentioned a few pages back..

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭benmeade

Hi all,
    Here's the thing, why are we unable to get a receipt for the 6.50€ charge? Think about it.

Does the 6.50 include vat? Surely it does but to whom? Irish revenue or HMRC?
    If its irish revenue collecting the vat on 6.50 then why is it included for vat to be added a second time when calculating for custom charges?if so then its vat fraud.

If HMRC is collecting vat on 6.50 then i accept the 6.50 will attract irish vat also.

I suspect "addresspal" is actually a UK registered company for hmrc who collect the 6.50 directly and anpost don't get the 6.50. however are we not entitled to a receipt in anycase? When I contacted addresspal cs they had no idea.

Vat under 6€ won't be collected but add the 6.50 shipping and your going to be caught out.

I'd say you're seeing a big conspiracy that isn't there. An Post have on their website that the charges include VAT. They shouldn't. It is an external transaction and VAT is collected on that charge when it applies, as it does on every single import from outside the EU once it reaches the €22 value. AddressPal companies are no big secret - they are UK and US companies who act as their agents, and send the parcels and valuations forward to An Post for customs clearance. An Post always did as little as possible when it came to clearance, now all of a sudden they have turned into a massive conspiracy for a couple of euros? Which they don't get - VAT collected goes to Revenue.

Once again, for customs purposes Freight and Insurance have to be accounted for as part of the landed cost for customs VAT and duty.
    Not An Posts rules - Revenues.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭benmeade

I'd say you're seeing a big conspiracy that isn't there. An Post have on their website that the charges include VAT. They shouldn't. It is an external transaction and VAT is collected on that charge when it applies, as it does on every single import from outside the EU once it reaches the €22 value. AddressPal companies are no big secret - they are UK and US companies who act as their agents, and send the parcels and valuations forward to An Post for customs clearance. An Post always did as little as possible when it came to clearance, now all of a sudden they have turned into a massive conspiracy for a couple of euros? Which they don't get - VAT collected goes to Revenue.

Once again, for customs purposes Freight and Insurance have to be accounted for as part of the landed cost for customs VAT and duty.

Im not debating customs charges thats not my point.
    We are entitled to a receipt for the 6.50 wether it attracts custom charges or not.
    As a business the 6.50 is an expense and right now I can't prove to revenue what entity is collecting it. If you're self employed you'll understand but if you're a private individual you won't be too bothered.

"Conspiracy" no pal all I want is a receipt

An Post give the impression that there is a team of Revenue Officials sitting in a PO Depot opening every parcel. They then refer to a set of reference books with definitive values of everything they open and there is nothing An Post can do about the values.....

Whereas in truth... it’s some auld wan from An Post rumbling thru your things in a back office and saying ‘that’s nice’ and picking a figure from her head. And blaming Revenue for all the bad feedbacks!,,

...... hope I am wrong!!!

• Advertisement

benmeade wrote: »
    Im not debating customs charges thats not my point.
    We are entitled to a receipt for the 6.50 wether it attracts custom charges or not.
    As a business the 6.50 is an expense and right now I can't prove to revenue what entity is collecting it. If you're self employed you'll understand but if you're a private individual you won't be too bothered.

"Conspiracy" no pal all I want is a receipt

The 2 mentions about the receipt gets lost in rest of the post about various theories about Revenue, HMRC etc. If its just about the receipt clarify it with your accountant. I've seen as many posts on Boards.ie saying you’re not entitled to a receipt as those that say you are. Your accountant should be able to provide a link to the legislation which you can quote to AddressPal.

Advertisement