Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish man facing 50 years in Thai prison for 1kg Cannabis Sale to Police

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Why would you bail out a 23 year old who has made a mistake? The life we live is shaped by the consequences of our actions, if he's 23 and hasn't learned that he's a hopeless cause who'll never learn.

So your 23 year old son/daughter is facing the possibility of a 50 year maximum sentence, you have the ability to change that but would do nothing? Lol yeah fcuking right....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Is middle class an insult now? :o
    Not at all. The middle class rule...(silently and obediently)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

EazyD wrote: »
    So your 23 year old son/daughter is facing the possibility of a 50 year maximum sentence, you have the ability to change that but would do nothing? Lol yeah fcuking right....
    In this case, where they were trying to sell 1kg of cannabis to the police then yes. If a person hasn't learned that their life is what they make it at 23 years of age they're never going to learn. If I bailed him out he'd only make another mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

In this case, where they were trying to sell 1kg of cannabis to the police then yes. If a person hasn't learned that their life is what they make it at 23 years of age they're never going to learn. If I bailed him out he'd only make another mistake.
    It's not trolling so much as you're trolling yourself, because worryingly I think you might actually believe some of what you're saying!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

katydid wrote: »
    He knew the score.

Tough ****e.
    maybe he didn't. even if he did, it doesn't matter. he did nothing wrong. not tough **** at all

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

did nothing wrong ?

run that one past me again champ ?

Smuggling, selling, same thing.

wrong. one is smuggling and the other is selling. 2 different things
    mynamejeff wrote: »
    did nothing wrong ?

run that one past me again champ ?
    one wanted to buy, he was selling. its good old simple market forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

maybe in ballymun or tallaght.

Nobody is wishing life or death on him. They are just stating the obvious; he did the crime, he has to do the time. He made the decision, knowing the consequences. It's ridiculous that they get to go home early.
    hopefully he won't have to do any time once his trial comes around. or at least his sentence will be as short as possible. it was right the 2 girls were deported back to ireland early.
    believe what you like. this muppet wasnt setup.
    were you there. prove he wasn't set up

Nobody said it was fair. But it's the law of the land in
    Thailand, he knew that.
    stoning women to death because is the law in some countries. so your point means nothing. you have no evidence he knew what the law was.
    are you trying to say that he didnt know dealing drugs was a serious offence in thailand? anybody that stupid wouldnt be allowed out of the house on their own.

yes, its possible he didn't know. it can happen
    He never watched Banged up Abroad? All the kids know about what goes on in Thailand.

you have evidence to back up that all the kids know every law in every country?
    Presumably the point is to put other potential sellers and smugglers off. They probably reckon it's worth it.

well if thats their point and they think its worth it they must be mentally ill TBH. because the dogs on the street know it won't make any difference.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

right but you under stand the concept of law right ?

wait ,,, you not one of those freeman plonkers are you ??

maybe he didn't. even if he did, it doesn't matter. he did nothing wrong. not tough **** at all
    The Thai counts will decide if he has done something wrong and whether to deport him back to Ireland. Not him and certainly not you.

If my kid was caught smuggling 1kg of cannabis into another country I'd disown him. We all have to live with the consequences of our actions.
    do you drink? if so you don't get to moralise over others taking any other recreational drug

do you drink? if so you don't get to moralise over others taking any other recreational drug
    Whether I do or don't is utterly irrelevant to the fact that the Thai counts alone will decide if he has done something wrong and whether to deport him back to Ireland. Neither him nor you get to decide what laws apply to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭toptom

I hope they hang him ,send out the message we don't want drug dealers anywhere. The politicians must do more to stop it Taking citizenship away from users and dealers is one way to go, stop them travelling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

If my kid was caught smuggling 1kg of cannabis into another country I'd disown him. We all have to live with the consequences of our actions.
    Would you do the same if he was caught transporting a large quantity of alcohol from Iran to Pakistan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

toptom wrote: »
    I hope they hang him ,send out the message we don't want drug dealers anywhere. The politicians must do more to stop it Taking citizenship away from users and dealers is one way to go, stop them travelling

You'd be revoking the citizenship of up to and over quarter of a million people here alone. And that would be just the users of cannabis alone. Fantastic idea there chief.

And the same to you as above, do you think someone caught selling a bottle of beer in the middle east deserves to be hanged?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Is it cannabis you have an issue with or crimes which carry a high punishment in particular regions, or general stupidity

e.g. if smuggling 1kg cannabis into portugal or germany carried a 50 euro fine would you disown him?

Or if he was caught making homebrew in saudi arabia would you also disown him?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudi_Arabia#Human_rights
    Most trials are held in secret.[169] [170] Just one example, UK pensioner and cancer victim, Karl Andree aged 74 faces 360 lashes for home brewing alcohol. His family fears the punishment could kill him.

What if he was genuinely just stupid, is there an IQ level where you would disown him? People keep saying he is a complete idiot and so deserves it, what if he was medically proven to be "an idiot"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

It's not going to serve any purpose but to satisfy the lust for vengeance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

He was an idiot to do it as he knew the possible consequences, but that doesn't mean people can't still think the potential sentence is miles too harsh.
    And hanging? FFS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

You'd fit in really well with this organization up North called RAAD.

rubadub wrote: »
    Is it cannabis you have an issue with or crimes which carry a high punishment in particular regions, or general stupidity

e.g. if smuggling cannabis into portugal or germany carried a 50 euro fine would you disown him?

Or if he was caught making homebrew in saudi arabia would you also disown him?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudi_Arabia#Human_rights

What if he was genuinely just stupid, is there an IQ level where you would disown him? People keep saying he is a complete idiot and so deserves it, what if he was medically proven to be "an idiot"?
    1. If If's and buts were candy and nuts, smuggling drugs into Germany is not a 50 euro fine.

2. If he's old enough to brew alcohol in Saudi Arabia he's old enough to accept the consequences.

I hope they hang him ,send out the message we don't want drug dealers anywhere. The politicians must do more to stop it
    Our own politicians actively protect drug dealers, there is no secret there, they will step in to protect their trade. Sure the Dail even given themselves greater rights than the general public for taking recreational drugs.

Cannabis is just one we are foolishly missing out on revenue on.

1. If If's and buts were candy and nuts, smuggling drugs into Germany is not a 50 euro fine.

2. If he's old enough to brew alcohol in Saudi Arabia he's old enough to accept the consequences.
    so I take that as 2 yeses, grand so, at least we know for absolute certain what you are.

all ready tried and failed. you lost, move on. drugs are here to stay. taking citizenship away from people over nothing is terrorism and putting your problems on to the rest of the world

Azalea wrote: »
    He was an idiot to do it as he knew the possible consequences, but that doesn't mean people can't still think the potential sentence is miles too harsh.
    And hanging? FFS.
    I am very much for legalising marijuana, but he knew what he was doing and the dogs on the street know how harsh Thailand is for even the more 'minor' drugs (even at personal consumption levels - never mind selling a whole kilo!). Fifty years is absurd, but at the same time anything but unprecedented, so while I don't agree with that kind of sentence at all, I can't say I feel much sympathy for him. But the fervent blood lust of some is nothing short of disturbing to be honest, I have a difficult time believing they want to see 'justice served' as much as they just want to see others suffer to make them feel better about themselves.

rubadub wrote: »
    so I take that as 2 yeses, grand so, at least we know for absolute certain what you are.
    What's that then?

You'd fit in really well with this organization up North called RAAD.

ah yes. don't they like a bit of the old drug dealing themselves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭toptom

Billy86 wrote: »
    And the same to you as above, do you think someone caught selling a bottle of beer in the middle east deserves to be hanged?

Beer is different people have being using it for centuries and its safe, Drugs are poison no matter what.

Advertisement