Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish man facing 50 years in Thai prison for 1kg Cannabis Sale to Police

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    What's that then?
    Well, as for your first answer - people can be old enough to know how to brew at home in their teens, which is typically before people are tried as adults.

But I will ask you again - if you had a kid who was caught transporting large quantities of alcohol to or from Iran, would you immediately disown him? Or Marmite to/from Denmark? Even though it is not really relevant to this case, as the guy was selling and not smuggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

What's that then?
    The type of person who would disown their own son because he...
    has made a mistake

and would leave him to rot just in case
    he'd only make another mistake.

toptom wrote: »
    Beer is different people have being using it for centuries and its safe, Drugs are poison no matter what.
    First, alcohol is very much a drug. As is cannabis. As is heroin. As is cocaine. As is tobacco. As is coffee. As is Calpol. As is Brufen. Are these all poisonous, including the last few three? Please do provide evidence.

"And this is the Manner of the King’s Funeral. But when any other Scythian dies, his nearest Relations carry him about in a Chariot among his Friends; who receive and entertain the whole Company, in their Turn, setting the fame things before the dead Man as before the rest. In this Manner all private Men are carried about forty Days, before they are buried: And those who have assisted at these Funerals, purify themselves thus. When they have cleansed and washed their heads, they set up three pieces of timber leaning to each other, and laying a good number of Woolen Bags close together, throw burning Stones in to a hollow space left in the midst of the wood and bags. In this country a sort of HEMP grows, very like to flax; only longer and thicker; and much more excellent than ours, whether sowed or produced by Nature. The Thracians cloth themselves with garments made of the HEMP; so well resembling Flax, that a man must have great experience in those materials to distinguish one from the other: And he who had never seen this HEMP, would think their Cloths were wrought out of Flax. The Scythians put the Seeds of this HEMP under the bags, upon the burning stones; and immediately a more agreeable vapor is emitted than from the incense burnt in Greece. The Company extremely transported with the scent, howl aloud; and this Manner of purification serves instead of washing: For they never bath their bodies in water. But their wives grinding the wood of cypress, cedar, and incense upon a rough stone, and infusing the powder in water, compound a thick substance, which they spread over all the parts of the body and face. . . . . "
    - Greek philosopher Herodotus, approx 450BC.

450 BC being almost two and a half thousand years ago. Marijuana has been consumed by humans for around 8,000 years - the same length of time as alcohol.

So I take it we now agree that you are fine with marijuana consumption and do not believe it should be treated any different from alcohol, and completely take back your earlier statement about hanging the guy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Beer is different people have being using it for centuries and its safe, Drugs are poison no matter what.
    Beer when abused is not safe - you're bound to know that. Some drugs when used only occasionally are not harmful.

This isn't my opinion by the way or an endorsement of drugs - it's a scientific fact.

Azalea wrote: »
    Beer when abused is not safe - you're bound to know that. Some drugs when used only occasionally are not harmful.

This isn't my opinion by the way or an endorsement of drugs - it's a scientific fact.
    In North America most pharmacies are called drug stores. Good jaysus, I worry what Tom's reaction would be if he were to spend a week on holidays in the US! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

no, no, it really is not different. beer = alcohol which is a drug. other recreational drugs have also been used for centuries.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Azalea wrote: »

Alcohol is one evil drug if you're on the wrong side of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

This along with all your other posts in this thread are the biggest load of **** I've ever read. Fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    This along with all your other posts in this thread are the biggest load of **** I've ever read. Fair play.

How does one think humanity survived up until discovering the causes of water contamination and figuring out how to treat it? They drank alcohol as no one wanted to risk drinking the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Alcohol is one evil drug if you're on the wrong side of it.

you could say that about anything though

eg. Paracetamol killed off 500 per year in England and Wales

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1874442/

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭gobsh!te

No one dies from smoking marijuana.

About 50,000 died last year from LEGAL drugs.

The real reason Marijuana is illegal is economic and anyone saying it is bad is just ignorant on why:

Here's the real reason...skip to 1:08

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭toptom

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

How dare you insult my comments ? i stay on the right side of the law and away from evils like the drugs. druggies have to be stopped look at all the crime they are causing.

How dare you insult my comments ? i stay on the right side of the law and away from evils like the drugs. druggies have to be stopped look at all the crime they are causing.

The law isn't always right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

But your comments are ill informed.

You are entitled to hold an opinion, but be prepared if you are unable to defend it without taking offense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

gctest50 wrote: »
    you could say that about anything though

eg. Paracetamol killed off 500 per year in England and Wales

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1874442/

Compared to cannabis though,if you ever have the displeasure of going through alcohol withdrawal...pure nightmare ,not to mention the health and social cost.I know which one id prefer to see made illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Not sure whether you're a troll or the most miserable man in Ireland judging by your post history. You keep on staying away from "the drugs" now! :pac:

NO ONE HAS EVER DIED FROM SMOKING MARIJUANA...ZERO

But Tom, you already agreed that cannabis is absolutely fine. You did as much when you said drugs that we have been using for hundreds of years are acceptable - these include alcohol and marijuana, both of which go back 8,000 years.

You're even OK with opium since that stretches back about 5,500 years to the Mesopotamians, and magic mushrooms which have been consumed by humans from at least Biblical times, if not all the way back to the stone ages.

It is your aversion to modern medicine that I find kind of disturbing though, to be honest. The likes of insulin and penicillin have saved millions and millions of lives, yet you are completely opposed to these drugs because they only came about in the last hundred years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It's called context. Someone said "their country, their rules". Therefore stating that the law in another country is fine no matter what it sanctions. So someone countered with the fact that the Jews in Germany were legally persecuted and was that person as casual with his credo of "their country, their rules"?

Then we had to suffer the inane "well if you were a Jew and travelled to Nazi Germany then you should have known better, blah, blah, duh, ugga-bugga" bullshit.

That doesn't mean that a Jew deciding he wanted to emigrate to Nazi Germany in 1939 can't be a complete idiot for doing so. Heck, I could, in theory, decide I wanted to walk around Compton at 2am. It may not be my fault if I get mugged or worse, but it would still have been an exceedingly poor judgement call on my part to have gone there in the first place. But walking around Compton is not even illegal to begin with.

Civil disobedience is all well and good if there's a point to it. Voting rights are an important enough point, for example. Freedom of speech. Whistle-blowing often will make the cut. The ability to live with dignity (or just live, in the case of jews in Nazi Germany). Those more fundamental, important things that really make a significant difference in society. But even Rosa Parks figured she was going to get arrested.

None of this applies in this circumstance.
    Jonti wrote: »
    He's lucky it was Thailand he was caught, some other countries execute drug criminals!

Thailand does, actually. (For a couple of years about 2003/2004, without trial)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Plenty of time to write a book and for TV3 to make a documentary for our grandkids to watch...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

gobsh!te wrote: »
    NO ONE HAS EVER DIED FROM SMOKING MARIJUANA...ZERO

Well. It may be at least two (and I seem to recall hearing of a third in Colorado earlier this year), but I accept the point that it's really, really, rare.

http://time.com/10372/marijuana-deaths-german-study/
    A recent German study claims to have documented the first known deaths resulting from marijuana use.

That said...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-179264/Cannabis-kills-30-000-year.html
    In today's issue of the British Medical Journal, Prof Henry and other doctors from Imperial College, and St Mary's Hospital, both in London, say cannabis could be a major contributor to UK deaths.
    Researchers calculate that if 120,000 deaths are caused among 13million smokers, the corresponding figure among 3.2million cannabis smokers would be 30,000.
    The drug can cause cancer, lung disease and abnormalities associated with serious mental illness.

While, toxically, the drug may be all but harmless, that doesn't mean to say that one can go about using it willy-nilly without some form of risk associated with it. It may be no worse than smoking tobacco, or drinking alcohol but to say that there are no negative effects from the activity seems unreasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

gobsh!te wrote: »
    No one dies from smoking marijuana.

About 50,000 died last year from LEGAL drugs.

The real reason Marijuana is illegal is economic and anyone saying it is bad is just ignorant on why:

Here's the real reason...skip to 1:08

How many people died from the proceeds of drug sales being used to finance crime, terrorism etc???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

How many people died from the proceeds of drug sales being used to finance crime, terrorism etc???

Sounds like a case for a legalisation if ever there was one.

Sounds like a case for a legalisation if ever there was one.

I'm all for legislation, but at the moment it's illegal. And someone caught in Thailand knows the consequences. He'll end up doing 15/20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

I hope he does not end up having to spend 15/20 years of his life in prison for being stupid. It's really not fair or proportionate.
    I can't imagine what agony his family must be going through.

A lot....it really is about time all drugs were legalized in my opinion.

The mafia were loving prohibition in the US...It made them.

All these gangsters would be irrelevant if all the drugs were legal and the resources where put into treating a medical problem as a medical problem and not as a criminal offence.

The guy did wrong. Broke the law. Yes he did.

He's 23 years old. Young and quite possibly foolish. I find it hard to read posters on here that are wishing a 50 year horrific jail sentence. The poor guy's life would be over.
    Even if he was to receive half that its still too long.

I wonder how many of these ill wishing "law pushers" on here would change their tune if it was their son, brother, cousin?

He did wrong yes, but cut the guy some slack. Does he deserve to spend that length of time in prison?

TheTorment wrote: »
    The guy did wrong. Broke the law. Yes he did.

He's 23 years old. Young and quite possibly foolish. I find it hard to read posters on here that are wishing a 50 year horrific jail sentence. The poor guy's life would be over.
    Even if he was to receive half that its still too long.

I wonder how many of these ill wishing "law pushers" on here would change their tune if it was their son, brother, cousin?

He did wrong yes, but cut the guy some slack. Does he deserve to spend that length of time in prison?

That's for the Thai courts to decide, and if past convictions are anything to go by, then yes that's what they'll decide he deserves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Irish Times "Decision looms for Government on legalising marijuana"

What would head-in-the-sand posters like the above do if the government actually did take us out of the dark ages I wonder?
    The confusion might be too much

Advertisement