Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Not blown away

It's better than before, but not by much. Pretty much all retail planned has been changed to office or student accommodation use.

Their measures to keep South main Street "live" are a couple of kiosks and a ticket booth.

This needs to happen though. Town felt like a different place when the marquee and Musgrave park gigs were on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The amount of dead frontage on to South Main Street is disappointing but we're not going to get better at this stage. Just build it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

That design is awful, particularly around the counting house from the looks of those images. It's almost like they don't want PP.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

Auditorium has a 70's feel to it. Is that the music they're going for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Im coming around to the round arse to it. No so the North main st. When its not in use, it'll be just a big wall with a few signs.

Its not exactly going to appear in table quizes "in what city is this building"?

Is there a design statement somewhere to provide some rationale for the design?

Is better than nothing good enough?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Not blown away

Neither am I, it would be nice to see something daring and ground breaking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

The south main street side looks a bit naff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Really poor but as someone else has said, maybe it's the best we will get.
    The architects should be embarrassed with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

The exterior isn’t notable (as others have said), but I’d take it at this stage. Important that it’s right on the interior.
    Still don’t believe we’ll see any progress anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Saw Coveney in Aldi today - was tempted to ask him what the hell is going on! :-P

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    Saw Coveney in Aldi today - was tempted to ask him what the hell is going on! :-P

I'd be more inclined to ask what the fcuk he's doing in Aldi.
    Next, he'll be spotted in Michael Guineys...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I'd be more inclined to ask what the fcuk he's doing in Aldi.
    Next, he'll be spotted in Michael Guineys...

:-P

We all love a bargain!

leahyl wrote: »
    :-P

We all love a bargain!

Was he in for the foot spa and 2 man tents on special?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

namloc1980 wrote: »
    mainMediaSize=537x291_type=image_publish=true__image.jpg

mainMediaSize=MEDIUM_type=image_x0=0_y0=0_x1=100_y1=100__image.jpg

mainMediaSize=MEDIUM_type=image_x0=0_y0=0_x1=100_y1=100__image.jpg

Renders of the revised plans.

Awful looking design in that second pic. Very boxy and overshadowing the counting house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

I imagine An Taisce will stick in their oar and join the queue to delay this project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

kub wrote: »
    I imagine An Taisce will stick in their oar and join the queue to delay this project.

A really awful design that is widely criticised here and elsewhere and yet An Taisce are the bad guys for saying "hold on a minute, this is sh*t. We can do better".
    I don't get this An Taisce bashing nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I don't get this An Taisce bashing nonsense.
    Check out their history of pathetic objections. They ridicule themselves and have become a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

An Taisce...?

Utter waste of money and resources...........

I could go on but it'd de-rail the thread.

New design is un-inspiring, but for God's sake BUILD THE DAMN THING!!!

blindsider wrote: »
    New design is un-inspiring, but for God's sake BUILD THE DAMN THING!!!

Developers love that kind of thinking. It's no wonder we have such a legacy of crap buildings from the boom.

It'll be grand...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

The original design with the wrap around glass window was much, much nicer.

CorkEventCentre_large.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭spillcoe

Agreed, looks a lot better

• Registered Users Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Pointless debating it, it will still never be built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

That boxy bit reminds me of a 1970s brutalisist office block.

Clearly the budget is too low to do this with any kind of style so it will end up looking awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

rob316 wrote: »
    Pointless debating it, it will still never be built.

Never say never, it'll definitely get dragged out for ages, with ever higher amounts needed to subsidise the development.. It'll be held onto till the next construction slowdown, when bam have gone quiet, and can get it built more cheaply, and if in the meantime they are allowed put in more commercial office space, and more student accommodation, and get the government to pay for the bridges and public realm parts then all the better,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

CorkEventCentre_large.jpg

Is this the view that was "too defensive"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

tototoe wrote: »
    Developers love that kind of thinking. It's no wonder we have such a legacy of crap buildings from the boom.

It'll be grand...

Mmm. You have a point - but, if they don't build it, what then? What happens the site, and do we have an alternative EC proposal?

The city needs an Events Centre and several other projects e.g. the hotel on Sullivan's Quay are EC-dependant.

It may not be an inspiring, but is it not better than the alternative?

blindsider wrote: »
    Mmm. You have a point - but, if they don't build it, what then? What happens the site, and do we have an alternative EC proposal?

The city needs an Events Centre and several other projects e.g. the hotel on Sullivan's Quay are EC-dependant.

It may not be an inspiring, but is it not better than the alternative?

It needs more than an events centre, a lot more and this folly should be well down the list imo. The city wants an event centre, but it not needed in any serious urgent way.
    I also do not believe the state should be putting money into this for a private operator to profit on, but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭snotboogie

It needs more than an events centre, a lot more and this folly should be well down the list imo. The city wants an event centre, but it not needed in any serious urgent way.
    I also do not believe the state should be putting money into this for a private operator to profit on, but that's just me.

Serious economic benefit to an Events Centre, it is hardly a folly

snotboogie wrote: »
    Serious economic benefit to an Events Centre, it is hardly a folly

Well if it's that much of a bonanza, let the developer build and fund itt themselves. Same diatribe around PUC and has rarely had a capacity crowd since built and even then it was ed Sheeran and a soccer game.

If there is that much return from these projects, then there is no need for public money to be used. If the developer needs public money to make it viable, then it's either not viable or they are getting money for nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Well if it's that much of a bonanza, let the developer build and fund itt themselves. Same diatribe around PUC and has rarely had a capacity crowd since built and even then it was ed Sheeran and a soccer game.

If there is that much return from these projects, then there is no need for public money to be used. If the developer needs public money to make it viable, then it's either not viable or they are getting money for nothing

The economic benefit im talking about wouldn't be felt by the developer, it would be other businesses in the city; hotels, bars, shops, restaurants etc. I was against PUC from day 1 btw, no way a stadium that excludes other sports should ever be getting public funding, this is a far more sensible project. It is normal for entertainment venues to get a public sector leg up to benefit the local economy at a later date.

Advertisement