Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

No worries anymore we are getting a whole new plan for transport over the next 20 years, so they'll probably keep the event center on hold until that's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

nlrkjos wrote: »
    No worries anymore we are getting a whole new plan for transport over the next 20 years, so they'll probably keep the event center on hold until that's done.

Oh look over here, a seagull!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Oh look over here, a seagull!
    Where???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

roundymac wrote: »
    Where???:confused:

Keep looking up, and away from North main street...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

Markcheese wrote: »
    Keep looking up, and away from North main street...
    Thats a coveney cuckoo, just dropped something in and bailed out again, leave it for somebody else !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭gifted

Varadkar lets slip how dire the situation is. Anybody heard from BAM or Live Nation lately? There is a reason that you haven't. This is over but we won't be told until after the local and european elections.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/bam-seeks-12m-extra-costs-for-hospital-work-924900.html

BAM accountants have been kinda busy last few weeks, they'll get to the Events Centre soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

BAM are getting ready to reply to the outstanding planning issues with a design for the event centre that is drastically reduced in scale. Smaller audience, event space, etc. Further information to be submitted in the next two weeks I'm told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

BAM are getting ready to reply to the outstanding planning issues with a design for the event centre that is drastically reduced in scale. Smaller audience, event space, etc. Further information to be submitted in the next two weeks I'm told.

Are live nation still involved?

Hang on, didn't they get the promise of extra cash at one point, by claiming it needed to be bigger to be commercially viable?
    And the last iteration had substantially more commercial office space, and substantially less of a landmark building...

I honestly think local government should pull out entirely, decide what they want from the project (and how much they can put in) and reoffer it..to all developers...
    But with more cast iron contracts... .

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Although I'd imagine bams legal department would make mince meat of city council...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

Are live nation still involved?

Yes. As far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Yes. As far as I'm aware.

I thought this whole issue came from Live Nation, who came on board after the original design and said that it was too small to make them a profit? Hence the need for more money?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

An absolute mess which makes little or no sense. BAM should be excluded from public contracts for a prescribed period of time given their track record.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Well, ****.

If this continues it'll just be one massive student development. Not that student development isn't needed, but that's not what this was meant to be. In other news, they're still making alterations to the other parts of the development - retail being removed to make way for a gym. (Again, the gym is needed, but it's not what the development was initially meant to be).

I'd really love to know how public projects in Ireland compare with those in other (developed) countries. Is there the same kind of "ah sure [wink, nudge] it'll run a bit over. They always do. Nothing to lose sleep about. Sure who's going to say there's no more money and end up with a half-finished project?" attitude?

snotboogie wrote: »
    I thought this whole issue came from Live Nation, who came on board after the original design and said that it was too small to make them a profit? Hence the need for more money?

It did

(Although i also think they were involved with both bids as well)

They way we're currently costing and delivering public capital projects is a fcuking abject disaster.
    Consultants appointed to produce specifications for projects for others to tender for. When costs over run, everyone just shrugs "not my fault"....

It did

(Although i also think they were involved with both bids as well)

Wasn’t there some rule that they couldn’t consult with OCP or BAM until after the bid had been awarded?

snotboogie wrote: »
    Wasn’t there some rule that they couldn’t consult with OCP or BAM until after the bid had been awarded?

Ill try and dig an article, as far as i remember, they were involved with both at the bid stage, which makes it all the more ridiculous

Edit:
    Yup, not only were they involved in both bids, at one stage they seem to have pulled out of both bids.

https://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2014/07/08/why-are-live-nation-turning-down-free-money-in-cork/

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

They way we're currently costing and delivering public capital projects is a fcuking abject disaster.
    Consultants appointed to produce specifications for projects for others to tender for. When costs over run, everyone just shrugs "not my fault"....

It’s a weakness in the rendering process. I’ve worked on public and private tenders in a former life and as a rule, you don’t question omissions during the formal queries stage, lest you alert competitors.

The idea is to have your competitor price it in, and you omit it, giving you a price advantage. The public body cannot score your competition higher for items that are not requested, though the scoring usually allows for an above and beyond response in the scoring scheme.

You bid low, all prices are subject to assumptions and further due diligence when the bid is won, then the terms change when the tender is won and due diligence is completed.

‘Oh? You never said you’d be putting an IT network in the building, that’s gonna cost ya. You want windows that open? *whistles* were changing the spec here fellas.’

Note how the TII bids operate. Multiple bid processes to separate specification from design and build.

The further information as requested by the planners will be submitted tomorrow. Get ready to be underwhelmed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The further information as requested by the planners will be submitted tomorrow. Get ready to be underwhelmed!

Could we be anything else at this stage?! :-P

:(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It's best at this stage just to have absolutely no hope at all.

That way you won't be disappointed.

Applying this attitude to anything Government related in Cork that involves investment is a prudent approach in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,754 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Regardless of the issues with money and planning it's in the wrong bloody place in the city. I mean all you have to do is look at the roads around it. It should have been where that new building is across from the bonded warehouses and down from what was the Sextant(well probably still is, I just heard it was moving from there)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Regardless of the issues with money and planning it's in the wrong bloody place in the city. I mean all you have to do is look at the roads around it. It should have been where that new building is across from the bonded warehouses and down from what was the Sextant(well probably still is, I just heard it was moving from there)

Nothing wrong with the location. Why would you want to place a concert venue in the business district?

Nothing wrong with the location. Why would you want to place a concert venue in the business district?
    Well because it's close to the train station and bus station maybe. The location it's supposed to be built in(might never be built there) isn't set up for getting thousands of people in and out quickly. A lot of the roads are one way and narrow.

Well because it's close to the train station and bus station maybe. The location it's supposed to be built in(might never be built there) isn't set up for getting thousands of people in and out quickly. A lot of the roads are one way and narrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sheff_

Sth Main St is 10/15 mins walk from the train and about 5 from the bus. Hardly a hike

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

It's close to the bus station, all the city bus stops in the centre, only small distance from train station, loads of bars, restaurants, cafes, hotels etc.. There is plenty of parking places nearby for those that struggle to grasp that you don't need a car in a city centre. It's a great location we just need the thing built.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Anyone have any update on this? I checked the planning site (the main planning request) and I can see they were previously granted an extension for the provision of the 'further info' until July this year, but I can't see anything submitted since that request was granted.

Advertisement