Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

CHealy wrote: »
    Any sod turning yet lads?

Not yet, but it can only be a matter of time before something is staged. Are there even any sods of grass on the site? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Not yet, but it can only be a matter of time before something is staged. Are there even any sods of grass on the site? ;)

A number of Cork dignitaries walking around the site in hard hats carrying plan should do the trick ala Mr Kenny.

According to twitter, the Evening Echo will today report that Enda Kenny will 'turn the sod' next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

According to twitter, the Evening Echo will today report that Enda Kenny will 'turn the sod' next week.

Right on time. Vote Fine Gael Number 1.

"Expected" is a word used too many times for this project. The entire thing has a bad vibe off it.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/taoiseach-to-turn-sod-on-cork-events-centre/1819156/

• Advertisement

"Expected" is a word used too many times for this project. The entire thing has a bad vibe off it.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/taoiseach-to-turn-sod-on-cork-events-centre/1819156/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Don't want to be pessimistic but I always think of the Amgen project that the dogs in the street knew was dead in the water while the politicos swore blind during the election campaign that it was going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Jesus,the timing is some coincidence.

It'll be interesting to see what form this 'sod turning' will take. The Capitol was announced and loftus moved in within weeks. Are BAM ready to role on this development or will we be in another holding pattern until "the summer" or "later in the year" before work actually starts on the ground.
    It'll be interesting to see who from the developer/builder/management company actually take part in this little ceremony.
    As it stands, I could walk down there with some hi vis jackets and a hard hat and 'launch' it myself. Doesn't mean it's actually going to happen anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

I hate the way it's Enda, who gets to turn the sod, he probably had no clue about an event centre planned for Cork, the only politician I've seen actively pursuing the project has been Simon Coveney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Meursault

calnand wrote: »
    I hate the way it's Enda, who gets to turn the sod, he probably had no clue about an event centre planned for Cork, the only politician I've seen actively pursuing the project has been Simon Coveney.

To be honest, I couldn't care less if they got Kim Jong-Un to turn the sod at this stage, as long as the thing gets built.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Kenny will be down primarily for a jobs announcement I believe - this is very much a promise nobody in government gives a shít about shattering & yet I think it's crucial for the city to have something like this, it's massive for Cork to get this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

calnand wrote: »

I have to question Coveney's ability to get this off the ground and other projects. One of his posters claims credit for The Events Centre, Pair Ui Caoimh and new routes for Cork Airport. The first two are as of yet white elephants and the airport has a long way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Cape Clear wrote: »
    I have to question Coveney's ability to get this off the ground and other projects. One of his posters claims credit for The Events Centre, Pair Ui Caoimh and new routes for Cork Airport. The first two are as of yet white elephants and the airport has a long way to go.

But there are new routes at the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,068 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

kub wrote: »

How much did Coveney have to do with securing new routes?

Still nothing frim BAM, Heineken or Live Nation. I have an awful feeling we'll be told it's coming but we'll have to wait for more planning- the echo reported the whole site, not just the EC is going ahead. Would seem like a perfect excuse to stick in a few minor changes and 'wait for planning'.
    I mean, just because Enda is here on Friday doesnt mean we have to wait to do anything. Lots of demolition they could be getting on with.
    If work doesnt start by the following Monday, I'll demolish the place myself.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    How much did Coveney have to do with securing new routes?

I have no idea, but there are new routes, that is a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I have no idea, but there are new routes, that is a fact.

His point was about Coveney claiming credit for them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Any truth in the rumour that there are at least two sites within the area that show up old church and relics? Something about the expanation being that they were being cast out outside the old city walls. Anyone else hear this ?

Not doubting that but as I said the airport has a long way to go still lacks routes to European capitals and no definite progress on trans Atlantic flights. Every politician claims credit for things my point on this occasion was these particular claims relate to things that remain incomplete or in the case of new routes nothing much to write home about

• Advertisement

Any truth in the rumour that there are at least two sites within the area that show up old church and relics? Something about the expanation being that they were being cast out outside the old city walls. Anyone else hear this ?

I have been saying for a long while that as soon as the ground is developed in there it will be like Christmas day for the archaeologists.
    We know though they are not the quickest of workers as there task has to go at a snails pace, so even if work starts on that site next week, the archaeologists could be there for years.

I have been saying for a long while that as soon as the ground is developed in there it will be like Christmas day for the archaeologists.
    We know though they are not the quickest of workers as there task has to go at a snails pace, so even if work starts on that site next week, the archaeologists could be there for years.
    I don't doubt that there is some interesting archaeology there. However, that's not news to anyone given its position slap bang in the middle of old Cork. As far as I can see, that has all been factored into the planning.
    In fact, one of the exciting things about getting this moving is a really unique opportunity to find out more about our city's development. Rarely has such an important, central site been uncovered to allow for such investigations.

What are the odds that Enda and Simon find a golden chalice under the first sod they turn...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Joey Jo-Jo Junior

Does anyone know where I can get more renders of this?

P.lane78 wrote: »
    What are the odds that Enda and Simon find a golden chalice under the first sod they turn...:D

The Holy Grail??

According to Eoin English in the Examiner this morning, no contracts have yet been signed between BAM and Live Nation.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/election2016/election2016-news-and-analysis/event-centre-timing-branded-cynical-election-stunt-380819.html

The event on Friday is (not without some justification) being described as cynical electioneering. I'm inclined to agree.

"Council chief executive Ann Doherty said the contract talks are where she expected they would be at this stage."
    - that's not the line that was being taken in 2015 when we were assured it would all be wrapped up and building "by the end of the year"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

This is turning farcical - would love to see Cork media boycott it by not showing pictures of it - report the story but no pictures of Kenny literally digging for votes

D'Agger wrote: »
    This is turning farcical - would love to see Cork media boycott it by not showing pictures of it - report the story but no pictures of Kenny literally digging for votes

To be fair he will be doing very well to turn a sod given the place is covered in concrete.

Mr buttimer on the wheel barrow and Mr Coveney on the kango hammer, Enda working the crowd kissing babies, this will be up in no time.

• Advertisement

....and I forgot Dara Murphy throwing taxis on for everyone :D

Advertisement