Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

In a nutshell, it was Coveney telling us to be patient. That "in a matter of weeks" we will see progress. 52 weeks? 104 weeks? He didn't say.
    Also a quote from Heineken saying they were "continuing to support" BAM in their work on the development. Interesting wording...sounds like they are trying to detangle themselves from it.
    Finally, no comment from BAM.
    Judge for yourself...

I'd be impressed if Coveney can stretch this out until after the election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Elsewhere on the world wide web, a suggestion that positive news on the event centre is due within the week. Possibly, with some planning changes to the remainder of the site.
    Take that with a pinch of salt but, who knows.
    Real progress? Or just buying time? You decide!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Elsewhere on the world wide web, a suggestion that positive news on the event centre is due within the week. Possibly, with some planning changes to the remainder of the site.
    Take that with a pinch of salt but, who knows.
    Real progress? Or just buying time? You decide!

Election optics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I do hope the sate has not handed over any money yet, that'd be a real shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

As someone else pointed out above, it will be amazing if he can drag this out until the election.
    I'm sorry, I just don't believe the guy. He's been saying this for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

And in the same month as the election. Well what a surprise. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

he said that last month... and the month before...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

he said that last month... and the month before...

I think this was his third time so we might be lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭kub

He strikes me as one of the few politicians out there that is anyway honest, yes i know i just put the words honest and politician in the same sentence.

I reckon if it was any other party in Government, they would have some buddy in there now with a JCB just so that it looks like there is something been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

This is a very historic part of Cork that needs redevelopment-you would imagine that the government would have some interest in it's construction. It has Elizabeth Fort, it's close to the city, St. Finbarres Cathedral, Nano Nagles first convent within walking distance....
    But, no.....
    A few weeks before a general election, there's a headline stating that a sod will be turned -please excuse my cynicism.

It's no wonder BAM and Heineken are treating this with trepidation.

IF our city was important - that should have been a priority years ago - it isn't an issue - it will look like it does for the next 5 years (although dilapidated even further).
    And kub, I admire your optimism in trusting Simon Covenny.....but I do think you did make the mistake of putting politician and honest in the same sentence -have a look at the Cork-Limerick road and think do any of the Cork (travelling to Dublin) politicians give a toss about their constituency?

They care even less about an events centre!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

I'm no fan of Simon Coveney, or many other politicians that Cork has been blessed with - but to suggest that politicians have no interest in a project like this is very naive. Of course they have! If this projects commences, politicians will have a big news story about the city centre to associate themselves with; in other words, it is in their interests to see this thing materialise. Also, this project is receiving a 40% subsidy (€20 million) from the state (central and local) - and politicians have a responsibility to make sure that if this project progresses - that it is feasible.

We'd be having a different conversation if public money was handed over to a badly thought through and unviable project. Just imagine the howling if this thing failed after so much public money was wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

mire wrote: »
    I'm no fan of Simon Coveney, or many other politicians that Cork has been blessed with - but to suggest that politicians have no interest in a project like this is very naive. Of course they have! If this projects commences, politicians will have a big news story about the city centre to associate themselves with; in other words, it is in their interests to see this thing materialise. Also, this project is receiving a 40% subsidy (€20 million) from the state (central and local) - and politicians have a responsibility to make sure that if this project progresses - that it is feasible.

We'd be having a different conversation if public money was handed over to a badly thought through and unviable project. Just imagine the howling if this thing failed after so much public money was wasted.

Obviously it's in his best interests to see this being built. However, if the building of it isn't certain, it is also in his best interests to string it along until after polling day.

I'm praying this will go ahead. It will cement the area as Corks entertainment district. Event centre and a cinema to compliment the likes of the Triskel and the array of nightlife already in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

However, if the building of it isn't certain, it is also in his best interests to string it along until after polling day..

Reminds me of the Amgen fiasco - was it the election before last? Strong rumours it was cancelled, but the government denied denied denied until after the election. More insidious was the handling of the IFI fertilizer plant in Cobh maybe 20 years ago - even though it was obvious it was going to close, the (FF) govt strung it out for months until after an election - in the meantime, the company lost so much money the workers' pension fund was decimated.

In fairness, I don't doubt that SC and others are doing their best to get this over the line - imagine the kudos ahead of an election if it pays off. However, we have seen nothing in way of evidence that it is going ahead. No statements to that effect from the developers (BAM and Heineken Ireland); no work on site; no engagement with media, stakeholders; no statement from the company supposed to be running the event centre (Live Nation) and (by any standards) a very lengthy delay between grant of planning and start of work.
    In the absence of all of this, for a government minister to come along and basically say 'nothing to see here', 'don't be so impatient; and 'oh look at the shiny new Capitol development' is like smoke and mirror, Wizard of Oz stuff.
    -- Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain --

In fairness, I don't doubt that SC and others are doing their best to get this over the line - imagine the kudos ahead of an election if it pays off. However, we have seen nothing in way of evidence that it is going ahead. No statements to that effect from the developers (BAM and Heineken Ireland); no work on site; no engagement with media, stakeholders; no statement from the company supposed to be running the event centre (Live Nation) and (by any standards) a very lengthy delay between grant of planning and start of work.
    In the absence of all of this, for a government minister to come along and basically say 'nothing to see here', 'don't be so impatient; and 'oh look at the shiny new Capitol development' is like smoke and mirror, Wizard of Oz stuff.
    -- Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain --

Very good points; the silence from the other parties is worrying, but perhaps understandable, considering what seems to be going on - i.e. fairly sensitive discussions I'd imagine.

What I find notable is Minister Coveney's tone on this. He is not simply saying it may happen, that they've done everything they can - he is putting himself right in the centre of this; and is taking a real risk as a result. He has used a lot of political capital on this project and I would assume that he would not have extended his neck this far without having had some assurances and real evidence. My interpretation of his comments are that he he is speaking knowledgeably and confidently. Put it this way, if it does not happen, it will be a huge source of embarrassment - politically and personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

What I find notable is Minister Coveney's tone on this. .....Put it this way, if it does not happen, it will be a huge source of embarrassment - politically and personally.

It would be, but if it's after he's elected and FG are in, it will be all the one to him.

I intend to ask him if he bothers his arse to come to my door for 2 minutes why a sitting Government minister can't get this over the line whilst in Government. It's fairly pathetic in my opinion.

The promises are meaningless to me. Talk is cheap.

There's a bloody fortune being spent in Dublin, Luas, Docklands development, 10,000 Nama Houses. Cork is getting sweet f all apart from a load of election promises.

Pull the finger out Simon and get this one over the line.

What could have been... here's a (poor enough) fly over of the O'Callaghan Properties option on Albert Quay.

Incidentally, where have all the "Support the Brewery Quarter" lot gone? One would have imagined, that if they supported the idea of an event centre on that site so much that they would still be interested.
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/ocallaghan-critical-event-centre-lobby-group/50840/

My guess is that it will go ahead in early new year when Bam are finished Albert Quay.With the last few jobs they done around Cork,they finished one job to start another.

Good piece in the Examiner this week about One Albert Quay (built by BAM). Says BAM are ready to roll on the Capitol site. Does this mean the Event Centre goes to the back of the queue?

Here it is: http://www.irishexaminer.com/property/commercial/one-albert-quay-set-up-for-tyco-arrival-377407.html

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/CorkEventCentre

ok, own up... who is responsible for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

someone has way too much time on their hands... hoping to have Justin Bieber for a visit tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

I think that some things in Cork will never happen- this being one of them!

A safe road between Cork and Limerick is another pipe dream. I feel we are deluded if we think otherwise!

Ha! Fair play to whoever it is but I honestly think they are fighting a losing battle. If we don't hear of movement in the next week or so I reckon we can kiss it goodbye.
    Looking at the speed at which the Capitol development is proceeding, it's a shame JCD weren't involved in the South Main Street project.

Ha! Fair play to whoever it is but I honestly think they are fighting a losing battle. If we don't hear of movement in the next week or so I reckon we can kiss it goodbye.
    Looking at the speed at which the Capitol development is proceeding, it's a shame JCD weren't involved in the South Main Street project.

To be fair, I doubt the event centre's lack of progress has anything to do with the will or lack of will from the developer's side. It has everything to do with a hard-nosed operator trying to extract as many guarantees from the state as possible to effectively underwrite their risk. This scheme goes nowhere without a contract that secures the event centre's operation. This is not really in the gift of the developer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭kub

To be fair, I doubt the event centre's lack of progress has anything to do with the will or lack of will from the developer's side. It has everything to do with a hard-nosed operator trying to extract as many guarantees from the state as possible to effectively underwrite their risk. This scheme goes nowhere without a contract that secures the event centre's operation. This is not really in the gift of the developer.

It is the unforeseen that is the issue, i reckon. Wait until they break ground and the archaeologists move in, everything will slow to a snails pace and these lads charge by the day.
    Look at the road works in Buttevant for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Thats it, in a nutshell, well summarised mire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Any sod turning yet lads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Simon says ..........Turn the sod :D

Advertisement