Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Enda kenny

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

Fine GaelTroika/FF plan have managed to stabilise the national finances, and turn around the economy.

Fixed your post for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Fixed your post for you

When it delivers continent leading economic & job creation growth, its a wonder why every country doesn't do it..... cos its obviously the right thing to do!

And its success makes it very very stark how wrong the far-left parties are for opposing it.
    It sure makes their last 5 years of bleating ring empty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Fixed your post for you

Well we all know FF got us into the mess and if I remember correctly Cowen was on holidays for most of the summer of 2008 celebrating his "victory" in becoming leader, while the country went down the tubes. The celebrations went on well into 2009 as well. And then they discovered they needed rescuing by the IMF. So in summary, they created the problem, invited in the IMF, skipped town and left the next government and ordinary people to try to clean up their mess.

I think FG have done ok in government. There's still an awful lot to do though, not least tackling the national debt mountain.

But like I said, FG/FF/labour/Sinn Finn/PBPA/etc will all be judged on how credible they are on the economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Drumpot wrote: »
    Actually, I am just calling it how it is and I believe most people feel the same way. Its hard to believe that this government would find it so difficult to convince people of its competency considering the state the country was in when it took over.

Nobody is saying it would be easy, but this government had a ridiculously strong mandate and were taking the reigns from such a low level, its impossible to fathom how they could be so unpopular when you factor in the remarkable recovery.

I don't have all the answers and don't pretend to, but its clear that the systematic reform that was desperately needed has not happened. How do I know? Admittedly anecdotal, but as a businessman who provides advice to public servants and major companies who have to work with large public service departments, there is certainly zero evidence thus far that any "reform" supposedly acted has yielded tangible benefits.

There is no accountability within the public service, certainly not at the higher end of the scale. There is zero responsibility taken by anybody at these levels.

That's just scratching the surface and one facet that needs to be radically tackled.

If it was easy to reform it would be done, but this is my point. This government consistently takes the easy, politically popular choices unless it forced not to. When you have politicians who are teachers and people who have zero real life business experience, its not surprising that they hide behind reports and PR tools to try and convince people that they are making progress.

I know for a fact that a business proposal was put to the previous minister for health. It would of saved the taxpayer over 40million a year, freed up over 100 beds in hospitals and provided the proper rehabilitation for the patients in long term hospital care. It didn't happen because of red tape. The minister was aware and the hospitals didn't want to lose any control. Since I cannot prove this happened , you can easily dismiss it, but I have personally seen little from this government that suggests they have any particularly qualities that provide proof they engage in progressive political strategies that aren't focused on simply furthering their own interest.

While our electorate is as fickle as every other, I don't think its completely stupid. Most people saw the recent budget as a con and very few professionals thought it was progressive or helpful. There are few examples of this government making anything other then populist decisions, other then when the Troika forced austerity. Considering the country is doing so well after such a torrid time, why do you think the government is struggling popularity wise?

Great post.

And then they discovered they needed rescuing by the IMF. So in summary, they created the problem, invited in the IMF, skipped town and left the next government and ordinary people to try to clean up their mess.

Simple question with a simple yes or no answer. Are FG/Lab following the plan that was agreed by FF and the Troika??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,554 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

FalconGirl wrote: »
    Social............. the day after one of the biggest hospitals in the countries has to stop admitting patients due to overcrowding? Have you taken a walk around the streets of Dublin lately and seen the massive amounts of homeless sleeping in doorways at night? Not too sure about that. This Govt have been a mix of good and absolutely atrocious.

Unfortunately, you're speaking to people that don't care about these things.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Simple question with a simple yes or no answer. Are FG/Lab following the plan that was agreed by FF and the Troika??

No. The programme ended two years ago. Even when it was in place, it would be difficult to argue that the government was just blindly following the programme without making any decisions of its own. The memorandum was a series of targets and commitments. How and if they were met was up to the government of the day.

No. The programme ended two years ago. Even when it was in place, it would be difficult to argue that the government was just blindly following the programme without making any decisions of its own. The memorandum was a series of targets and commitments. How and if they were met was up to the government of the day.

Well we know the savagery of the cuts they made. Do you not accept that it this agreement that ended half way through the current government that laid proper foundations for the recovery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Well we know the savagery of the cuts they made. Do you not accept that it this agreement that ended half way through the current government that laid proper foundations for the recovery?

The agreement who made?

keane2097 wrote: »
    The agreement who made?

FF and Troika in 2010

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Health service is a mess alright. Always has been.

But its also not fair to always focus on the A and E situation.

A huge amount of great work takes place in our hospitals and a lot of areas have been improved.

It's not fair to constantly put it down. People in these hospitals deserve more credit.

The system is crappy, but it's always been. So we can dismiss that, sure what can the leader of government do? Sure wasn't he appalled today. Next!
    I don't think anybody is pointing the finger at hospital staff, certainly not the one who brought this to the minister and informed Enda there was an issue, as it seemed to be news to him. Finger on the pulse there. We all know the system needs fixing, seems Enda just found out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Oops69 wrote: »
    This is tongue in cheek I presume , and by ' running ' you mean ruining of course.
    Kenny is an utterly spineless national emabarrasment , the electorate will put him out of his misery soon enough .

Well Kenny is not much of a leader, but he was what the country needed to turn it around, someone who would plod along and not get to smart about it! Ireland is a net exporting country, has been for a long time and so long as you continue to sell more than buy you'll eventually work your way out of the crisis, so long as someone does not screw it up and he did not. Had we had some one of the Left instead we might well be Greece or even worse right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Ok so do you accept it wasn't the current governments plan when they imposed savage cuts on the nation as people say?

Sure they were only following orders from the troika so its not their fault.

So in a way they didn't cause the crash and they didn't impose the harsh cuts.

Not a bad job so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭golfball37

No problem with the cuts and fine job on the macroeconomic numbers. I would find it immoral to vote for this government however because of the cronyism.

Ok so do you accept it wasn't the current governments plan when they imposed savage cuts on the nation as people.

the targetting of the more vulnerable in society such as respite care grant was up to FF/Lab not the troika agreement

Good discussion by the panel on VB tonight on Enda's ongoing failure to answer questions in the Dáil. Everyone except Michelle Mulherrin (Mayo TD) agree he just waffles and does not answer the question. It is undemocratic.

Good discussion by the panel on VB tonight on Enda's ongoing failure to answer questions in the Dáil. Everyone except Michelle Mulherrin (Mayo TD) agree he just waffles and does not answer the question. It is undemocratic.

In fairness to Enda his range is a bit better than that, he does like the old "i know you are but what am i" type response as well

"In 1994, Vincent Browne sought a nomination for the Fine Gael party in that year's European elections or the possible general election of that year (it was thought a general election might follow the collapse of the Albert Reynolds' government). He was rebuffed by the leader of Fine Gael and future Taoiseach, John Bruton. He then became a vocal critic of the part"

Vincent is still bitter after not getting the votes to run for fianna Gael.

Bitter bitter man.

Bitter bitter man.

That was 21 years ago!

I actually think VB treats all parties and leaders fairly (mostly with disdain).

I have not detected the bitterness in him. I think we would be lost without him. He calls it right almost every time. Smart guy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

That was 21 years ago!

I actually think VB treats all parties and leaders fairly (mostly with disdain).

I have not detected the bitterness in him. I think we would be lost without him. He calls it right almost every time. Smart guy.

Your bitterness detector mustn't be functioning. Apart from the reasons he hates FG, he also has it in for FF as he lost money spectacularly when the economy crashed.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/vincent-browne-puts-beloved-house-for-sale-as-village-proves-too-costly-for-him-26680132.html

He would be sitting with his feet up in the South of France if it wasn't for the crash.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magill

"Browne later appointed a series of editors with him becoming managing editor. Its early editors included Fintan O'Toole, John Waters and Colm Tóibín. (Tóibín went on to achieve renown as a novelist.) However clashes of personalities with Browne led each editor in turn to quit the post as did one of its major writers Gene Kerrigan"

There is hardly a journalist left in Ireland who hasn't had a run-in with Vincent Browne.

That was 21 years ago!

You must be joking.

No wonder most politicians wont appear on his show.

He just shouts at them when they try answer.

Especially fg. Like a child. Oh yes he is still bitter 21 years later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Enda Kenny has presided over a government that has proved (if proof was needed) that governance in this country is and has been a relay. Enda took the baton that was handed on to him by Fine Gael's political teammate, Fianna Fail. And he ran the exact same type of race. The high moral ground nonsense that the country wouldn't have crashed under them is still being trotted out and 'the mess we were in' excuse is still being trotted out to cover their failures and the fact that we probably live in the most divided society ever since partition and the founding of the state.
    The great shame is that they will probably get another term before they implode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

"In 1994, Vincent Browne sought a nomination for the Fine Gael party in that year's European elections or the possible general election of that year (it was thought a general election might follow the collapse of the Albert Reynolds' government). He was rebuffed by the leader of Fine Gael and future Taoiseach, John Bruton. He then became a vocal critic of the part"

Bitter bitter man.

Same year Enda said
    "It is morally wrong, unjust and unfair to tax a persons home"
    - Enda Kenny, 1994

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

He's going to be under big pressure with all the pro lifers in FG with a vote on the right amendment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    He's going to be under big pressure with all the pro lifers in FG with a vote on the right amendment

What RTE and a few in the print media are calling a political stroke of genius (just a tired old political kicking of a can in actuality) may come back to haunt him yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Enda Kenny has presided over a government that has proved (if proof was needed) that governance in this country is and has been a relay. Enda took the baton that was handed on to him by Fine Gael's political teammate, Fianna Fail. And he ran the exact same type of race. The high moral ground nonsense that the country wouldn't have crashed under them is still being trotted out and 'the mess we were in' excuse is still being trotted out to cover their failures and the fact that we probably live in the most divided society ever since partition and the founding of the state.
    The great shame is that they will probably get another term before they implode.

Maybe you could provide a few links to that obvious proof because I don't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Numinous2017

Anyone planning a street party?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Anyone planning a street party?

Mod note:

You might find the Politics Cafe more suitable for organising Enda retirement themed street parties.

Advertisement