Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate the M50 [Warning post #222]

Options

Comments

kbannon wrote: »
    Are you for real?
    I'm hoping that he was being sarcastic.
    If not :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I'm hoping that he was being sarcastic.
    If not :rolleyes:

How would you explain their uses Dolanbaker?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Hoboo wrote:
    How would you explain their uses Dolanbaker?

As in rule of the road #1.

Keep Left.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

kidneyfan wrote: »
    Pretty sure that everyone complaining about the middle lane is out of order.
    Left lane. Slow Drivers
    Middle lane. Normal Drivers
    Outside lane. Overtaking.

It is a diddle to stay in the middle!

And there you have it folks. If everyone drives with this in mind, it continues to be a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

The M50 is where you see what happens when you leave drivers have a bit of leeway. Its absolutely nuts. I try to stay off it as much as possible, its a bloody death trap full of nutters.

I had to use it everyday for 2 years and the behaviour bullying, tail-gating speeding has to be seen to be believed. There seemed to be an attitude among some of "my car is faster than your car and even though I'm obliterating the speed limit, you should hurry up and leave me through or I will tailgate you leaving inches between our cars until you cave in to my demands".

I'd put cameras on every 500 meters of road and auto fine speeders for each metre they were over the limit.

I'd have a dedicated core of human camera observers looking for dangerous behaviour and sending findings + video evidence to the gardai.

The public coffers would swell to the point of bursting, and that's even when you take the cost / wages into account.

Law observing drivers should not have to deal with a percentage of suicidal slope brow nutters.

• Advertisement

There seemed to be an attitude among some of "my car is faster than your car and even though I'm obliterating the speed limit, you should hurry up and leave me through or I will tailgate you leaving inches between our cars until you cave in to my demands".

Would that by any chance be happening while you are sitting in the middle or outside lanes?

There are three lanes on most of it. You should be using the inside one unless you are overtaking. If someone is tailgating you, more than likely its because you are somwhere you shouldn't be.

First Up wrote: »
    Would that by any chance be happening while you are sitting in the middle or outside lanes?

There are three lanes on most of it. You should be using the inside one unless you are overtaking. If someone is tailgating you, more than likely its because you are somwhere you shouldn't be.

Well you'd be wrong anyway. And your post is pretty clearly saying that's its the guy in front fault if someone is tailgating him? Kinda spells out your attitude to road safety.

The day I have to explain my driving style to you, is the day I'll have to explain to you how to drive properly, any dope can press an accelerator pedal.

Well you'd be wrong anyway. And your post is pretty clearly saying that's its the guy in front fault if someone is tailgating him? Kinda spells out your attitude to road safety.

I asked you what lane you are in when it happens. Care to answer?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This "mayhem" like yesterday isn't due to the capacity of the road, it's due to all these crashes. If there is several crashes every day then there is a major problem with enforcement of traffic law on this road.

And it has nothing to do with speeding. People are not managing 100km/h at peak times let alone over it. It's due to people not concentrating on the road (eating, doing makeup, on the phone), trying to bully their way through the queue, driving over hatch markings to get to the middle lane quicker, complete disregard for any form of lane discipline, driving in the hard shoulder to skip queues.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,688 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I highly doubt that tbh, and if it's close to capacity, drop the limit to 80, this will actually increase capacity again

But because nothing is enforced in Ireland, new speed limits or rules are meaningless

• Advertisement

Ally Dick wrote:
    But because nothing is enforced in Ireland, new speed limits or rules are meaningless

Accidents are caused by bad driving. There are many instances of bad driving on the M50, of which speeding is among the least.

Many Irish drivers simply have no idea how a motorway should be used, as can be seen by some of the contributions here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,688 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

They need to put those differential speed cameras up...and show the speed limit on the gantry. And a fine in the post if you are caught. They need technology to help this as they don't seem to have the manpower to enforce in person

I asked you what lane you are in when it happens. Care to answer?

The right one.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,352 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The right one.

were the two lanes inside you occupied?

were the two lanes inside you occupied?

I'm not going to engage with someone who tries to justify bullying behaviour on a motorway, but I think I'm very much entitled to overtake another car, without breaking the speed limit in the correct lane to do so.

Another driver should not be able to bully me into breaking the speed limit in order to appease his unsafe behaviour.

Posts with questions like "which lane were you in?" are just moronic. The bast way to deal with children is to ignore them.

Posts with questions like "which lane were you in?" are just moronic. The bast way to deal with children is to ignore them.

If you are being tailgated on a motorway, it raises the question why the tailgater didn't simply overtake you. The only reason I can come up with is that there was no lane to the right for them to do so. If you have another explanation then tell us.

Otherwise we are entitled to at least suspect that you were not in the correct lane, although you may indeed have been in the right one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Otherwise we are entitled to at least suspect that you were not in the correct lane, although you may indeed have been in the right one.

Your posts are idiotic and now I will tell you why.

What is this correct lane you speak of? There's now lane on a motorway for people doing 100+mph. I've already told you I was in the correct lane for what I was doing. You can't seem to grasp that tailgating is dangerous/ prosecutor driving.

Picture yourself explaining tailgating to a police man who pulls you up for dangerous driving "well ahem guard, it's all his fault for driving at the speed limit and slowing me down" do yourself a favour and stop trying to defend the indefensible.

You keep asking me to fill in extra information, hoping to "catch me out", I'm not going to respond, firstly because it has no relevance and secondly because it appears to annoy you.

Thanks.

Your agressive and defensive posts tell me all I need to know.

I wouldn't say aggressive posts, more dismissive actually and I have nothing in need of defending.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Giuseppe90

If you were in the process of overtaking then there is indeed nothing to defend ( I believe you mentioned that in a previous post).

The outer lanes are overtaking lanes and not "fast lanes". The rule as I understand it is keep left unless overtaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,064 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

What is this correct lane you speak of? There's now lane on a motorway for people doing 100+mph. I've already told you I was in the correct lane for what I was doing. You can't seem to grasp that tailgating is dangerous/ prosecutor driving.

Picture yourself explaining tailgating to a police man who pulls you up for dangerous driving "well ahem guard, it's all his fault for driving at the speed limit and slowing me down" do yourself a favour and stop trying to defend the indefensible.

You keep asking me to fill in extra information, hoping to "catch me out", I'm not going to respond, firstly because it has no relevance and secondly because it appears to annoy you.

What does this mean :confused:

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    What does this mean :confused:

Unfortunately irony does not get the creases out of your clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭mockingjay

paddyland wrote: »
    What an example of the uneducated attitude to our roads - there is no 'fast' lane. There is a 'left' lane, and then two 'overtaking' lanes. Get your lanes straight first.

[ If a lorry is in the third lane, well he shouldn't be.

The 'fast lane' is actually widely known slang for an outside overtaking lane. This is the one place where you can go 'faster' in order to pass slower moving traffic... many people (including YOU) knew exactly which lane I was talking about and did not judge my comment as 'uneducated' - glad I don't meet you on the road very often! Driving safely for the past 30 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

mockingjay wrote: »
    ... and the lorries - yesterday morning an articulated lorry was actually belting along the "fast" lane until it got to the Finglas exit where traffic volume slowed it down, then attempted several times to manoeuvre and bully its way back into the slow lane - God forbid someone pulled out in front of him, it would have been carnage - in the US trucks are not allowed in the fast lanes - this is a regular occurrence, same thing on the way home, cars in the slow lane and lorries pulling out sitting in the middle lane, a shiver goes down my spine every time one overtakes me, they know they have the upper hand.

They are not supposed to be in outside lanes here either.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Were you in the process of overtaking?

If not, you were both in the wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,122 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

when the M50 is essentially full, and all lanes are moving at pretty much the same speed, i suspect the concept of overtaking loses its clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,064 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

lawred2 wrote: »
    Were you in the process of overtaking?

If not, you were both in the wrong.
    He was ironing, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

when the M50 is essentially full, and all lanes are moving at pretty much the same speed, i suspect the concept of overtaking loses its clarity.

+1

This thread just goes round and round.. the same thing happens over in Motors when it shows up every few months as well

Time for some reality...

The only times there are significant issues on the M50/N7 are at peak times. This is down to volume of traffic, poor driving skills and poor junction designs (eg: dumping traffic onto the same 200m stretch at Ballymount that cars are trying to get into to get to the N7). Outside of peak there are no issues.

Because of the sheer volume, all lanes in effect become driving lanes, moving at in and around the same speeds. The problems/delays occur when drivers don't leave enough space in the first instance, and others diving into that space (even though it's unsafe to do so), which in turn means people don't leave a big enough gap to avoid being cut off, and then can't react fast enough if needed.

Add to this then the huge number of drivers who can't drive at a consistent speed even when the conditions permit, and/or who dawdle unnecessarily in turn slowing things even more, or who can't merge onto/leave a motorway properly.. again either dawdling along at 20-40 km/h less than the rest of the traffic, or diving across lanes at the last second to their exit.

All of the above has zero to do with people "hogging" lanes and everything to do with people being muppets or incompetent.. but as it's also not caused by "speeding" our authorities and police force have no interest in it

_Kaiser_ wrote:
    All of the above has zero to do with people "hogging" lanes and everything to do with people being muppets or incompetent.. but as it's also not caused by "speeding" our authorities and police force have no interest in it

Zero?

There are problems on the M50 throughout the day and a major contributor is the middle lane being almost pernanently full, often with cars travelling faster in both the other lanes.

This means that one of the fundamental purposes of a 3 lane motorway is rendered inoperable as traffic is unable to move freely and use the lane appropriate to their desired speed.This causes many of the risky manouvres listed above.

Of course it is not the only cause of accidents but to say it has zero to do with it is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Zero?

There are problems on the M50 throughout the day and a major contributor is the middle lane being almost pernanently full, often with cars travelling faster in both the other lanes.

This means that one of the fundamental purposes of a 3 lane motorway is rendered inoperable as traffic is unable to move freely and use the lane appropriate to their desired speed.This causes many of the risky manouvres listed above.

Of course it is not the only cause of accidents but to say it has zero to do with it is ridiculous.

Your posts indicate that you really don't seem to get what is being said. You are blaming people for their lane choice and alluding to this being a primary factor in the arseholery you think it causes.

Regardless of what everyone around you is doing, you have a duty to the public to drive safely, and I mean REGARDLESS of what is happening in front of you.

This is why i told you it doesn't matter what lane a person is driving in. Your responsibility to the public is not dependent on what someone else is doing.

I was hoping you would reach this conclusion from my earlier posts, but you seem to be incapable of drawing logical conclusions when being fed bread crumbs.

I would advise you reread this and other posts and let it sink in. Do not become emotionally involved, just take the message and think about it.

Someone who gets emotionally involved whilst driving is behaving little better than an animal and certainly has no place behind the wheel. Skewed reasoning is not reason.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement