Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

35% Body Fat

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Try a week of walking 3 hours a day.

Whut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Try a week of walking 3 hours a day

Are you for real?
    Ain't nobody got time for that! :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 Sheep in a field

Are you for real?
    Ain't nobody got time for that! :eek:

It's just a suggestion that may make the op crave vegetables. But maybe just try a week of eating meat and vegetables/salad leaves

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ezra Wibberley

It's not odd. Sometimes it's useful to keep count and think "well, I've gone X days, I can go X+1)". The bigger the number X is, the more motivating it can be.

Best of luck, Ezra.

Thanks Alf
    I think you need to delve a bit deeper as to why you decided to 'eat all around you'.

Balance is everything. Learning about nutrition is also important.

Do you keep a food diary? or track your food with an app?

It is a mindset not a diet.

Hi Monkey. I do completely understand what you're saying and believe me, I'm the guy giving good sound advice to people in other areas of their life at times, but cannot seem to wrap my own head around it. All I can say is that I've done it all my life, since I was a child with periods of disciplined absences of binging and for the most part has been under good control for the last couple of years.

As for a food diary, I am using MyFitnessPal. Sample of my eating over the last few days;

Breakfast (350 calories)
    175g chicken breast fillets, no skin, baked.
    1 grapefruit
    0.5 avocado

Lunch (600 calories)
    Baked cod fillet, with courgette, asparagus, halloumi, 125g basmati rice, 6 black olives, 15g chorizo.

Snack (160 calories)
    25g cashew nuts, medium pink lady apple

Dinner (675 calories)
    Home made beef burgers (225g steak mince, weighed out)
    1 medium egg
    Salad; celery, spinach, 25g feta cheese, 7 green olives, tomato, green beans, mushrooms.

Daily Total: 1775 calories

The above calorie total has been constant for the last 5 days now, plus or minus 50 calories. I am trying to keep my proteins and good fats high, and carbohydrates low. Using the BMR calculator here (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bmr_calculator.htm), I was given a BMR or 2220, so I'm creating a deficit of over 400 calories a day.
    JJayoo wrote: »
    Stop buying **** food, you can't eat it if it's not in the house

Unfortunately, this is the case, **** food isn't in the house. My fridges and shelves are stocked with veg, meat, fish, herbs, spices, etc. Home has good healthy nutritious food. The odd bar of 85% dark chocolate, but that's really as bad as it gets. There are no frozen pizzas, or frozen anything really apart from vegetables or unbreaded fish fillets, chicken etc. When I binge I tend to go off in the car, usually on the way home from work, and while fuelling at a garage pick up ****e food there, to eat in my car and dispose of waste in garage bins before I get home. Sounds ridiculous typing it out, but I'm desperately trying to stop it, and I have good weeks and bad.
    Diet is definitely the biggest factor. Try a week of walking 3 hours a day. If your not craving vegetables after this make yourself eat meat and vegetables for a week. Avoid bread, rice etc. Easy thing to do is buy frozen vegetables, bags of salad leaves etc.

3 hours a day is realistically out of the equation for me, cannot be done. I am actively trying lately to get a walk/jog/gym session in every day, so I feel I am getting somewhere maybe on this, but as they say, pride comes before a fall. And I've been proud of myself and how I've been doing and that leads to the falls I've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

As for a food diary, I am using MyFitnessPal. Sample of my eating over the last few days;

Breakfast (350 calories)
    175g chicken breast fillets, no skin, baked.
    1 grapefruit
    0.5 avocado

Lunch (600 calories)
    Baked cod fillet, with courgette, asparagus, halloumi, 125g basmati rice, 6 black olives, 15g chorizo.

Snack (160 calories)
    25g cashew nuts, medium pink lady apple

Dinner (675 calories)
    Home made beef burgers (225g steak mince, weighed out)
    1 medium egg
    Salad; celery, spinach, 25g feta cheese, 7 green olives, tomato, green beans, mushrooms.

Daily Total: 1775 calories

Your diet seems really bland, if you don't mind me saying so. I'd fall off the wagon spectacularly if my diet consisted solely of plain meat and veg/salad.

Would you not mix things up a bit by making soups, curries, stews, chilli etc? You can do all of these things easily with completely "clean" ingredients and it would certainly add a lot more variety into your diet.

I think the mistake a lot of people make when adopting a clean eating plan is assuming that everything has to be completely unadulterated for it to count. There's a whole world of herbs and spices out there that a lot of people seem to be entirely ignoring for reasons I don't really understand.

Just a thought.

• Advertisement

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Your diet seems really bland, if you don't mind me saying so. I'd fall off the wagon spectacularly if my diet consisted solely of plain meat and veg/salad.

Would you not mix things up a bit by making soups, curries, stews, chilli etc? You can do all of these things easily with completely "clean" ingredients and it would certainly add a lot more variety into your diet.

I think the mistake a lot of people make when adopting a clean eating plan is assuming that everything has to be completely unadulterated for it to count. There's a whole world of herbs and spices out there that a lot of people seem to be entirely ignoring for reasons I don't really understand.

Just a thought.

Hi Dial Hard. Don't get me wrong, what I have put up there isn't the only thing I'm eating. For example I had a chicken korma the other night, even adding full fat coconut milk (portion sizes were carefully worked out so I wasn't over doing the calorie intake).

Breakfast when there's more time has included smoked salmon, scrambled eggs, etc.

Herbs and spices aplenty in what I'm eating too, the roast veg would be seasoned with garlic/lemon pepper/paprika/chili/coriander, the white fish seasoned with cajun, etc. I'm no stranger to herbs and spices. The food I'm eating is very tasty because of it. No way could I stick to just veg and grilled fish without them. Also when roasting veg, a small piece of chorizo diced up really adds delicious flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

1775 cals is very low for a man, add in cals burnt through exercise and you might be close to a 1200 Cal deficit each day.

1775 cals is very low for a man, add in cals burnt through exercise and you might be close to a 1200 Cal deficit each day.

Oh I wish! Alas I am absolutely not burning that much in exercise a day. I'd also rather err on the side of caution than overestimate how many calories are burned doing exercise. In my case my runs are veeeery short (1km!) and in broken walk/run, so that doesn't do much for me on that front, yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

+1 eat more good food, especially in meal before you normally binge.

Also maybe try eating an apple or similar just before time you normally binge.

Give yourself every chance to beat the binge habit, that's what is holding you up.

Keep a journal, spot the pattern and then learn how to change it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Oh I wish! Alas I am absolutely not burning that much in exercise a day. I'd also rather err on the side of caution than overestimate how many calories are burned doing exercise. In my case my runs are veeeery short (1km!) and in broken walk/run, so that doesn't do much for me on that front, yet.

Well the general one size fits all view is that a man burns 2500 cals a day just by being alive. So then add on the exercise u are doing and you are definitely on a high deficit.

• Advertisement

ford2600 wrote: »
    +1 eat more good food, especially in meal before you normally binge.

Also maybe try eating an apple or similar just before time you normally binge.

Give yourself every chance to beat the binge habit, that's what is holding you up.

Keep a journal, spot the pattern and then learn how to change it

I think the reality is that the binging isn't a hunger problem.
    I have been doing well the past fortnight, pleased with myself, and now using MyFitnessPal acts as a diary of what i'm eating and forces me to think about what I'm having to eat.

Read that If you cut calories too much your metabolism slows right down?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Read that If you cut calories too much your metabolism slows right down?

There's truth in that but it's highly exaggerated. It takes a long time to affect your metabolism more than the expected predictable slow down due to being a physically smaller size.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    There's truth in that but it's highly exaggerated. It takes a long time to affect your metabolism more than the expected predictable slow down due to being a physically smaller size.

Finding that myself, lost a fair few kilos and suddenly hit a wall recently. A few cheat days probably contributed.

At least I haven't gained. Keep calm and start Again tomorrow :)

Well it has taken nearly 7 months, but I'm under 30% BF.. 29.4% today.

Gotta focus now and try keep it going.

Advertisement