Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

35% Body Fat

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭JonDoe

So I've had an assessment done on my body fat (using calipers and being pinched and squeezed!), and have started a workout program.

- 31 years old
    - male
    - 177cm
    - 106kg
    - 35% body fat

37kg of my body is fat.

My trainer has told me that following his program (2 days weights a week, 1 day intervals) and by steadily introducing the dietary changes he's prescribing (he knows as well as I do that if he does a 100% overhaul overnight the chances of me sticking rigidly to it are low!) it will take 10-12 months to get me to 15% body fat.

While I'm delighted to have actually started getting this underway, I feel I've got an uphill battle ahead of me. I'd love to hear some advice, personal experiences, etc from other boards users who have been in similar situation or know of others who have started from similar positions.

The dietary changes he has pushed so far; post workout (I've had 3 so far, DOMS is horrific!) to cut out carbs with my meal, i.e., for example go with a baked fillet of salmon and vegetables, "the greener the better", and ensure at least 50% of my plate is veg. First thing I'm to eat in the morning is half an avocado and chicken fillet.
    Take a krill oil each morning & evening.

The plan is do body fat measurements every 2 weeks to monitor progress - I intend on posting my progress on boards.

Try going on a Kytogenic Diet, Fats 70% plus, the rest proteins and veg with little of no carbs. Forces your body to switch from blood sugar burning to fat reserve burning for fuel. You have to be strict for this to work as slightly more than a banana's worth of sugar will push your body out of ketosis, you can get testing pee strips on amazon.
    It's a diet a lot of bodybuilders use when they are "cutting", the fats have an added benefit of being a testosterone building block.
    Have a look at a basic strength regime too, Stronglifts 5x5 is a great starter, just holding onto muscle is a great calorie burner and lifting results in days of heightened metabolic rates . Lots of walking on rest days.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Or the old fashioned eating good food in appropriate portions with the calorie content on mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭deco72

Don't worry about the weight as this could easily stay the same as you continue with weight training. You should not be concerned about the scales only the body fat %, too many people fall into this category of thinking they should weight less and so cut calories instead of eating proper foods. Stick to what you are doing as it seems to be working. Listen to your trainer. Was he/she concerned about your weight or happy with the progress you have made??

Think of the positives you have dropped over 3% body fat in just a month that is serious progress. If you keep going at that rate you could drop another 3% by Xmas which is a very big achievement.

The reason you weight has gone up a little and the body fat% has gone down is due to your increase in muscle. This is a good thing so do not be worried about the number on the scales.

Keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ezra Wibberley

He wasn't concerned about the weight element of it. He said he's happy to see the fat drop and muscle gain, but he did tell me if a lower number on the scales was what I wanted to see I'd need to start paying closer attention to calorie intake, but stated he's happy for my weight to stay the same once body composition is improving.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Also thanks to the two other posters who suggested dietary changes, the ketosis and 5/2 diets. I think I'm generally probably going to stick to what I've been doing with greater emphasis on reducing the less desirable food I consume, but definitely appreciate the info.

JonDoe wrote:
    just holding onto muscle is a great calorie burner and lifting results in days of heightened metabolic rates . Lots of walking on rest days.

This is something I've been thinking about, doing something aerobic on rest days or at least one day. One step at a time I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Or the old fashioned eating good food in appropriate portions with the calorie content on mind.

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

Great stuff so far mate, keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I have to say that I am loving your thread here; the honesty behind your postings and the drive and motivation you're investing in your future self :)

Keep up this Great Work,
    kerry4sam

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    the best thing I discovered during the journey was Branch Chain Amino Acids. They really helped with weight loss and with recovery after exercise, I would recommend them to anyone, I think they are superb.

Out of.. you know.. curiosity... ( :o )

I presume you're referring to this kinda thing?

http://www.bulkpowders.ie/branched-chain-amino-acid-tablets.html

Reason i ask is that, your post is about having lost a lot of weight, but from Googling about, these seem to be more geared towards building muscle and don't seem to give (or be promoted as giving) dietary help?

(my curiousity is peaked as I eat like a horse. No matter what the food is, I'd be constantly hungry, so I'd love to buy something like this if it was the kinda thing that made you feel really full, which is what I'm taking from your post?).

BCAAs won't help you lose weight.

Most whey protein contains them anyway.

There's some evidence to suggest they help delay fatigue for people new to training so they might help you workout for a bit longer but they won't directly help you lose weight

• Advertisement

BCAAs won't help you lose weight.

Most whey protein contains them anyway.

There's some evidence to suggest they help delay fatigue for people new to training so they might help you workout for a bit longer but they won't directly help you lose weight

As someone who has never used (or really had any interest in) the various forms of supplements out there, is there a product that's quite low in calories but dense in nature (ie; you feel very full, but haven't needed to eat half of Tesco to achieve it)?

I don't really need help with working out. My workout that Im doing now (a diy programme) takes me just over 2 hours to complete, and I'm knackered at the end, but I'm still able to do it without wanting to collapse or anything.

Oats mate.

Just google: low calories, high satiety foods. You will get loads of good examples. Not really aware of any supplements that do similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,154 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

As someone who has never used (or really had any interest in) the various forms of supplements out there, is there a product that's quite low in calories but dense in nature (ie; you feel very full, but haven't needed to eat half of Tesco to achieve it)?

Water.

Zero calories, very dense.

Any by extension any food with a high water content.
    Food like oats are calories dense on their own, they are filling because they soak up water used to prepare them.

Mellor wrote: »
    Water.

Zero calories, very dense.

Maybe it's a mental thing, but I don't find I'm overly full from drinking water, regardless of the quantity I drink, really. :( I do get extra cardio from all the trips I make to the toilet, but all in all i still end up eating food.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,154 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Maybe it's a mental thing, but I don't find I'm overly full from drinking water, regardless of the quantity I drink, really. :( I do get extra cardio from all the trips I make to the toilet, but all in all i still end up eating food.
    Drink 2 litres in the space of 2 minutes. You'll feel pretty full and gross. But it'll pass quickly as its processed fast. Absorbent foods like oats, or psycilium husk hold on to the water, which prolongs the full feeling.

I had to drink 8 liters over the course of a day before, and by the last two liters I was sick of the sight of it. So pissed off with drinking and going to the toilet constantly.
    Bare in mind I was sitting around all day. You'll get through water easier outside and active in hot weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

@OP : Food Aside, Just a Suggestion:

Keep a record for yourself. If you use the gym then record what you use, time(s), actual weight(s) you're exercising with... Even from now until end December and then look back at your progress. <-- Finding it great myself.

Started a new programme myself in September. When starting with certain weight machines I had to adjust settings to point where I felt a little uneasy tbh looking at where the person who was last using the machine was at.
    I've kept a record myself and even today looking back at where I started, to where I was this morning with the increase in weight(s) I am now at; the repetitions I can now do, the length of time I stay now compared to when I started truly does give a boost.

^^^ Is that idea something you could consider? Thinking ahead and being able to look back at your progress.

Also,
    I see you mention doing ANother activity on ANother day. I'd pass that with your PT first for their opinion tbh. They have designed a plan for you. They may want you to work on your current and increase in the NewYear maybe when your body adjusts to these changes safely.

You haven't posted in a while but I Hope you're keeping strong,
    kerry4sam

Hi Kerry4sam,

Thanks very much for the encouragement and positivity. You're right, it's been a week or more since I posted, been away for a few days but back at the interval training tonight, and have done one session late last week of a new program my trainer did up for me.

I log what weights I've been doing during every session, e.g., if there's 4 sets and I'm using dumbells, I might write 7.5, 7.5, 10, 10 after the exercise name on a sheet and next week aim to try all 10's or at least one extra set.

In the interest of full disclosure and honesty, when I read your comment about you liking the thread and your encouragement, I was half way through eating a burger king meal in an airport. The hot flush of guilt and embarrassment I got was awful haha!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hi Kerry4sam,

Thanks very much for the encouragement and positivity. You're right, it's been a week or more since I posted, been away for a few days but back at the interval training tonight, and have done one session late last week of a new program my trainer did up for me.

I log what weights I've been doing during every session, e.g., if there's 4 sets and I'm using dumbells, I might right 7.5, 7.5, 10, 10 after the exercise name on a sheet and next week aim to try all 10's or at least one extra set.

In the interest of full disclosure and honesty, when I read your comment about you liking the thread and your encouragement, I was half way through eating a burger king meal in an airport. The hot flush of guilt and embarrassment I got was awful haha!

If you have an android phone you could try the fitnotes app. I use it for logging my weights and find it useful. It can be a bit tricky to figure out at first mind.

If you have an android phone you could try the fitnotes app. I use it for logging my weights and find it useful. It can be a bit tricky to figure out at first mind.

Good call, I do have an android and will look into it, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

My best motivator when losing some weight was an old belt.

I had one that just fitted me on the first available pin hole when I started off. It was great to see the holes move back one by one to positions I had never used before and even better when I had to drill extra holes when they ran out.

It kept me going anyway :)

• Advertisement

My new program for those interested ;

4 sets of..

A1: Trapbar Deadlift (10-12 reps)
    A2: Incline DB Chest Press (10-12)
    B1: DB Forward Lunges (10-12)
    B2: Lat Pulldowns (10-12)
    C1: Reverse Hypers (12-15)
    C2: Seated Bent Over Lat Raise (10-12)
    C3: Swissball Ab Crunch (10-12)
    C4: Calf Raise (10-12)

I erred on side of caution with a few and went too light in hindsight, but a few really worked the muscles. The forward lunges and trapbar deadlifts were very tough and DOMS was bad for 3 days. One of the easiest on the night, the lowly calf lift (body weight only, one leg at a time), left me in real discomfort for 5 days, with days 2 & 3 bad DOMS and days 4 and 5 feeling bruised to the touch. Wasn't expecting that!

How has the last week been mate?

How has the last week been mate?

Hi! Apologies for the delay in getting a response up! Things have been going ookaaaay. By which I mean, yes, I am still going to the gym the 3 days a week, but it being December (I know, excuses..) it means that I've had more drink than usual, I've been out for lunch for often than normal, and I've been taken out for dinner a couple of times between work, family etc.

As a result, I'm gaining a little weight, and it's not muscle! I guess my plan is just keep going to the gym, keep at it, try avoid all out gluttony and make damn sure to have a lean January.

I can almost hear the Star Wars fans thinking "do or do not, there is no try" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Hi! Apologies for the delay in getting a response up! Things have been going ookaaaay. By which I mean, yes, I am still going to the gym the 3 days a week, but it being December (I know, excuses..) it means that I've had more drink than usual, I've been out for lunch for often than normal, and I've been taken out for dinner a couple of times between work, family etc.

As a result, I'm gaining a little weight, and it's not muscle! I guess my plan is just keep going to the gym, keep at it, try avoid all out gluttony and make damn sure to have a lean January.

I can almost hear the Star Wars fans thinking "do or do not, there is no try" ;)

Is your motivation waning?

I know it's December but if you make your food decisions more consciously it doesn't have to be a diaster. If you just approach it with a "might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb" then you'll derail yourself.

If you've had issues about bad food choices, making good choices us very empowering and positive.

You may not fave any buffets but this is just to illustrate a point: people who stand back at a buffet and assess the choices before they start picking up food tend to make better choices and pick up less than those who just plough in and start picking from plates as they encounter them.

Eat slowly and drink plenty of water when you're out for dinners and lunches. And bear in mind that no one is going to be offended if you stop eating when you have had enough and leave food on the plate.

But ultimately just put some thought into addressing eating out and at home over Christmas and don't just fall back into bad habits. The more good choices you make, the better you'll feel and it strengthens your resolve for the rest of the month.

And don't forget what's important to you: mindlessly eating too much or getting healthier? The latter doesn't mean you have to not enjoy Christmas. Actually, you'd find it does the opposite.

If you just approach it with a "might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb" then you'll derail yourself.

If you've had issues about bad food choices, making good choices us very empowering and positive.

The more good choices you make, the better you'll feel and it strengthens your resolve for the rest of the month.

And don't forget what's important to you: mindlessly eating too much or getting healthier?

Some really positive stuff there Alf, thanks very much for the focus. I think I'm not quite on the 'may as well be hung for a sheep...' path, and last few days have been positive food days, and I'll be heading to interval training tonight and weight training tomorrow again. Haven't had a BF% reading in a few weeks, not sure when I'll manage the next one. If it's not today or tomorrow, since I'll be away home for Christmas period it'll probably be January (that'll be a slap in the face haha)

Is your motivation waning?
    Honestly, no, I don't think it is. I'm still giving it what I can while at the gym and getting there 3 days a week. Just the additional obstacles at this time of year. The boxes of chocolates at work etc. Now I'm not being an all out glutton at all, but will power has never been a strong point, but I am doing alright.. just not perfectly.

Some really positive stuff there Alf, thanks very much for the focus. I think I'm not quite on the 'may as well be hung for a sheep...' path, and last few days have been positive food days, and I'll be heading to interval training tonight and weight training tomorrow again. Haven't had a BF% reading in a few weeks, not sure when I'll manage the next one. If it's not today or tomorrow, since I'll be away home for Christmas period it'll probably be January (that'll be a slap in the face haha)

Ah yeah but just added it in because it's easy to get into that mindset this week and people are just rooting for you to keep up the good work

Sounds like you're keeping it together though so best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Keep up the good work Ezra. Have your chocolate and your pint, just don't have a box of chocolates and a slab :)

• Advertisement

Well, I got back to it last night after a lengthy absence. 18th December was the last gym session I had done. I had intended on returning a week or more sooner, but a chest infection took care of that.

So it's the morning after the night before, and DOMS are doing their thing. Was a rotten session but relieved to be back at it!

Advertisement