Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

35% Body Fat

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

If you are looking to cut weight and body fat I recommend that you find a HIIT class and go 3/4 times a week. You will see much quicker results. A gym programme is fine but the intensity isn't what it would be in a HIIT session with a group. In October I was 24% Bodyfat. Started the classes and 4 weeks in I was down to 20.5% bodyfat.

These classes are mostly a mix of dumbells, kettlebells, trx, medicine balls and bodyweight exercises. Work for 45 seconds, move to the next exercise. Normally 8-12 exercises. These are divided into 3 blocks of 3/4 exercises in each blocks.

eg.
    Block 1
    4 rounds
    Goblet squat 10
    Kettlebell swing 10
    Box jumps 6
    Medicine ball slams 8

3 minute break then block 2 begins.

How odd! I was going reply to your post with a question and when I hit quote, a lot of extra text magically appeared :confused:

I was going to ask you, if you got from 24 down to 20.5 in 4 weeks back in November, have you managed to keep it off?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Trained Monkey

Right well I enjoyed Christmas but got back into training early in January. I felt the HIIT had given me what I was looking for i.e cut bodyfat. I started doing a strength program with lots of squats, pull ups and deadlifts. I do this twice a week and record each session for progress. At beginning when doing pull ups could manage 4 sets of 5, 4, 3, 2 reps. Now I'm doing 10, 9, 8, 6 reps. So I am happy that I'm progressing.
    I also try to fit in one HIIT session.
    To answer your question. I havent been measured recently but I do feel that my bodyfat is under 20 at the moment. I train 4/5 times a week. 2 weights, 1 HIIT, 2 running sessions. Drink maybe once a month or 6 weeks. Eat very well 90% of the time.
    Must get assessed again soon though just to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,826 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yeah the HIIT does make a difference in terms of bf. Our instructor does 3 heavy weight sessions a week and recommends us to get to one of the two conditioning classes if we can make it. I usually can't but I can get to a bootcamp and that is a mix of both.

Before Christmas I lost 4% bf over 6 weeks by combining 3 weight classes and a 1 and a half hour session of soccer (anywhere from 5 to 8 a side so it's intense).

• Registered Users Posts: 31,826 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yeah the HIIT does make a difference in terms of bf. Our instructor does 3 heavy weight sessions a week and recommends us to get to one of the two conditioning classes if we can make it. I usually can't but I can get to a bootcamp and that is a mix of both.

Before Christmas I lost 4% bf over 6 weeks by combining 3 weight classes and a 1 and a half hour session of soccer (anywhere from 5 to 8 a side so it's intense).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,154 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

1st February 2016; 107kg & 33.6% BF

...meh. Down a pound of fat, up a pound of muscle. Disappointing for the two weeks of (mostly) very good work. Had a pretty bad weekend (2 days of rich meals, alcohol...) from a losing weight point of view so I guess that has to be pointed to as the reason for disappointment. 0.3% body fat difference is negligible, but if I was up 0.3% body fat it'd suddenly be alarming, so gotta see the glass half full side of things and get on with it!

19th October 2015; 106kg & 34.6% BF
    5th November 2015; 107kg & 32.8% BF
    23rd November 2015; 107kg & 31.3% BF
    18th January 2016; 107kg & 33.9% BF

Hi Erza,

I think you may be focusing too much on the %BF numbers. Obviously composition change is the main goal, and tracking is important. But they aren't a perfect measurement, just an estimation. And depending on consistency of the guy doing it, the accuracy can vary. 1-2% easily, which is exactly the range you've been in, while weight has stayed largely the same.

BF% is a worthwhile measurement to track, but at heart of it, whether you are 32% or 33% is largely irrelevant. Personally you be better focusing on the 107kg for a few months. It's possible that you've been fluctuating in both fat and muscle by 0.5kg. But its more likely that this is just variance withing the accuracy of the BF%.

At c.30%BF you should be readily losing bodyfat. A 500cal a day deficit, should be about 2kg a month. If, due to introducing weight training, you are also building muscle while on a deficit (not impossible at higher BF%'s) then the net effect would be more overall weightloss as you'd need to burn more body fat to compensate for the energy used building muscle.
    I definitely think your diet and food quantity is the most important aspect right now.

• Advertisement

Yes I agree with Mellor. Get down the weight and the bodyfat will look after itself. An hour of sweating (whatever the activity/HIIT class, 5 aside, running, cycling, squash) 3/4 times a week will see quicker results that what you are currently trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ezra Wibberley

Mellor wrote: »
    Hi Erza,

I think you may be focusing too much on the %BF numbers. Obviously composition change is the main goal, and tracking is important. But they aren't a perfect measurement, just an estimation. And depending on consistency of the guy doing it, the accuracy can vary. 1-2% easily, which is exactly the range you've been in, while weight has stayed largely the same.

BF% is a worthwhile measurement to track, but at heart of it, whether you are 32% or 33% is largely irrelevant. Personally you be better focusing on the 107kg for a few months. It's possible that you've been fluctuating in both fat and muscle by 0.5kg. But its more likely that this is just variance withing the accuracy of the BF%.

At c.30%BF you should be readily losing bodyfat. A 500cal a day deficit, should be about 2kg a month. If, due to introducing weight training, you are also building muscle while on a deficit (not impossible at higher BF%'s) then the net effect would be more overall weightloss as you'd need to burn more body fat to compensate for the energy used building muscle.
    I definitely think your diet and food quantity is the most important aspect right now.

Hi Mellor,

Thanks for the input, I do appreciate it. The amount of people 'thanking' you for your post also goes to show that it's universally agreed with.

I have put real effort into creating a calorie deficit over the last week. Although I normally am weighed and body fats checked every fortnight, I got it done by my trainer again last night, as I felt I had had a good week and wanted something to reinforce that and encourage me to keep going with it.

So although you're saying not to focus on the figures;

8th February, 105.5kg & 30.6% BF. Even allowing for margins of error, it has been a good week, in fact it's both the lightest and lowest body fat reading I've got since I started this in October. I now need to carry forward the changes from here on and keep going like I did for the last week (portion size reduction, added 15mins of HIIT to the end of my 3 weight sessions, pretty much cut out all snacks, but I still had a good treat meal at the weekend).

Thank you for your support and encouragement.
    My next assessment is in 2 weeks time, and I am determined to be down weight then.

I have put real effort into creating a calorie deficit over the last week.

And that effort shows. 105.5kg, well done.
    What every changes you made, portion control etc, it's working. Keep it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

@Erza, well done on getting some decent results?

Other than training, what other activity do you do?

Most of us, spend too much time sitting, between office, driving, tv etc.

A few simple changes like
    *walking/cycling to shops/shorts journey instead of car
    * standing while doing office work
    * a bit of stretching every evening in sitting room instead of another episode of whatever.

It wouldn't be unusual for people to sit 12 hrs per day, that's pretty awful for us, it seems nearly every metabolic marker improves when we change this. Email your man below he might send you some magic boxers!

Have a listen here
    http://sigmanutrition.com/episode95/

Keep doing what your doing also but if you sit a lot of few gradual changes in this area is pretty low hanging fruit.

ford2600 wrote:
    Other than training, what other activity do you do?

Most of us, spend too much time sitting, between office, driving, tv etc.

It wouldn't be unusual for people to sit 12 hrs per day, that's pretty awful for us, it seems nearly every metabolic marker improves when we change this.

Other than my three nights at the gym I'm not doing much by way of exercise. I work a desk job with 120-140 mins a day of driving to/from work, so yes between work and getting there I would unfortunately be seated for 12-14 hours a day, excluding a few walks to the kitchen for a cuppa.

At weekends I might get out for a walk for an hour or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Long time lurker first time poster!

My numbers are a little lower than yours Ezra but overall not too dissimilar but want them to move in the right direction too. Been some great advice given and sound opinion. :)

Great work so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

What is a good HIIT program to follow? I am a member of BD Gym & they dont seem to have any HIIT classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

Just get on a treadmil or rower and do it yourself. Warm up for 5 mins that alternate 45 seconds of balls to the wall and 45 seconds slow recovery. Aim for as many sets as you can. If you are new to it you wont be able to get many at first but aim to just increase it overtime. They key is to really put it in for those 45 seconds tho, you should be going all out for that time

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    Just get on a treadmil or rower and do it yourself. Warm up for 5 mins that alternate 45 seconds of balls to the wall and 45 seconds slow recovery. Aim for as many sets as you can. If you are new to it you wont be able to get many at first but aim to just increase it overtime. They key is to really put it in for those 45 seconds tho, you should be going all out for that time

I'd imagine using a rower or treadmill would become monotonous fairly quickly.
    What you need is about 8-12 challenging exercises.

Create 2-3 blocks of 3/4 exercises. Move from one exercise to the next without taking a break

Sample

Block 1 (Do 4 rounds of each block. 2 minute break at end of block)
    Burpees 12
    Goblet squat using kettlebell 10
    weight plate over head carry 20m
    press up 10

Block 2
    Thrusters 12
    Moving Plank 20
    Box jumps
    Single Arm Db press

Block 3
    Squat jumps 12
    Bear plank 30s
    Medicine ball push 20m
    SA row 12

Depending on the equipment available you can swap exercises in an out whenever you want to keep things fresh and interesting.

I'd imagine using a rower or treadmill would become monotonous fairly quickly.
    What you need is about 8-12 challenging exercises.

Create 2-3 blocks of 3/4 exercises. Move from one exercise to the next without taking a break

Sample

Block 1 (Do 4 rounds of each block. 2 minute break at end of block)
    Burpees 12
    Goblet squat using kettlebell 10
    weight plate over head carry 20m
    press up 10

Block 2
    Thrusters 12
    Moving Plank 20
    Box jumps
    Single Arm Db press

Block 3
    Squat jumps 12
    Bear plank 30s
    Medicine ball push 20m
    SA row 12

Depending on the equipment available you can swap exercises in an out whenever you want to keep things fresh and interesting.
    That's great exercise and all, but its not HIIT

That's great exercise and all, but its not HIIT

How exactly would you categorize it?

Just because it doesn't use a timer doesn't mean its not HIIT.

You do each exercise as hard as you can and then move to the next one.

This would be 45 seconds/1 min work followed by 10/15 seconds break as you move repeated for 4 rounds of 4 exercises.

How exactly would you categorize it?

Just because it doesn't use a timer doesn't mean its not HIIT.

You do each exercise as hard as you can and then move to the next one.

This would be 45 seconds/1 min work followed by 10/15 seconds break as you move repeated for 4 rounds of 4 exercises.

I'd categorise it as a circuit, or a metcon (as they are called a lit these days).

I never mentioned a timer, or a lack there off. I said it's not HIIT, because it's missing the fundamental prerequisites of HIIT. But it's not a bad way to workout.

I understood how you suggested to do them, your instructions were quite clear. I'd understand that a round prob takes 45-60s. Where did the 10second break come from? You said from one to the next without taking a break. If the goal is to speed, then I'd imagine you'd go straight from press-up position to burpees, etc.

So, assuming you are able, it ends up being about 4 mins (4 rounds) of high paced work.

I'd categorise it as a circuit, or a metcon (as they are called a lit these days).

I never mentioned a timer, or a lack there off. I said it's not HIIT, because it's missing the fundamental prerequisites of HIIT. But it's not a bad way to workout.

I understood how you suggested to do them, your instructions were quite clear. I'd understand that a round prob takes 45-60s. Where did the 10second break come from? You said from one to the next without taking a break. If the goal is to speed, then I'd imagine you'd go straight from press-up position to burpees, etc.

So, assuming you are able, it ends up being about 4 mins (4 rounds) of high paced work.

Anyway your excellent at telling what things are not, could you give an example of a HIIT workout?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lyinghere

Anyway your excellent at telling what things are not, could you give an example of a HIIT workout?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1032887156785220&id=201801253227152

An example;
    Warm up for a few mins,
    Run, balls out, as fast as you can for 1 min,
    Jog/Walk/Stumble for 1 min to recover,
    Repeat for 8 runs
    Collapse, sweaty mess

Work:rest ratio could vary from 2:1 to 1:2, for example

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Good work Ezra, keep at it, sometimes it's hard to stay motivated when the finish line seems a long way off.

Do you normally gym on your own? and do you have a decent gym?

An example;
    Warm up for a few mins,
    Run, balls out, as fast as you can for 1 min,
    Jog/Walk/Stumble for 1 min to recover,
    Repeat for 8 runs
    Collapse, sweaty mess

Work:rest ratio could vary from 2:1 to 1:2, for example

Yeah that is HIIT used for running.

It can be applied types of exercise also.

Yeah that is HIIT used for running.

It can be applied types of exercise also.
    You asked for an example. I gave you an example. What's the issue :confused:

I could have equally used cycling, rowing, bodyweight movements, weights, training, or a combination of movements as the example. Where did I say it couldn't be other forms of exercise? Where you expecting multiple example?

Haven't logged in to boards in probably 8 weeks or so. Actually been thinking about this thread and been a bit embarassed to update what's going on.

After my last body fat check, which I believe was about 30.6% or so, my lowest since I had started, well, I had a bit of a mental nosedive. I continued to go to the gym, but was not happy to be there. When I got home I ate all around me. Comfort eating I suppose. It wasn't hunger. I don't really know what it was. But this went on for maybe 4 weeks.

I avoided my trainer and dodged his attempts to weigh me and do body fat testing until last thursday, a week ago today. I'm back up to 33.7% body fat or so, just one percent below my starting point 6 months ago.

I'm glad to say I feel like I am maybe back on the wagon again, I have been going to the gym and giving it my all. My program has been changed up from full body work outs and has been split into a 2 day program, upper body, lower body. Going to the gym wasn't really my biggest problem, food was, and realistically still is. The last week has been pretty solid and I'm happy with that much at least. It feels odd that I'm almost counting days since I've binged on food.

Anyway guys, there's the update, I'm back at it, trying hard. Gotta keep up the mental game because that's where I'm losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It feels odd that I'm almost counting days since I've binged on food.

It's not odd. Sometimes it's useful to keep count and think "well, I've gone X days, I can go X+1)". The bigger the number X is, the more motivating it can be.

Best of luck, Ezra.

I think you need to delve a bit deeper as to why you decided to 'eat all around you'.

It's great that you started again but if you don't deal with the reasons why you overeat then it will more than likely happen again.

Balance is everything.

Learning about nutrition is also important.

Do you keep a food diary? or track your food with an app? Do you have a food plan that is sustainable/sensible and consistent?
    We all want a take away etc now and then and that is fine but your base needs to be good quality and not torturous so that you can keep it up longterm and change your relationship with food for life. It shouldn't be just with a goal in mind and then revert back.

It is a mindset not a diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

. When I got home I ate all around me. Comfort eating I suppose. It wasn't hunger. I don't really know what it was. But this went on for maybe 4 weeks.

Stop buying **** food, you can't eat it if it's not in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 2 getfitnow

quickly read the answers above , Yes eat as much veg you can you can increase your protein intake as well as the more protein you consume the more body fat you burn. A supplement for DOMS will work wonders, you can see what kind of protein diet you can consume to increase muscle mass on wikipedia

Use an activity tracker to track most of your walking running etc.

Progress only seen after months of being consistent, so Just be consistent,
    tracking all your activity helps too.
    Good luck

P.S Body weight exercises have helped me and running

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

getfitnow wrote: »
    quickly read the answers above , Yes eat as much veg you can you can increase your protein intake as well as the more protein you consume the more body fat you burn. A supplement for DOMS will work wonders, you can see what kind of protein diet you can consume to increase muscle mass on wikipedia
    What are you talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 Sheep in a field

Diet is definitely the biggest factor. Try a week of walking 3 hours a day. If your not craving vegetables after this make yourself eat meat and vegetables for a week. Avoid bread, rice etc. Easy thing to do is buy frozen vegetables, bags of salad leaves etc.

See what happens.

Advertisement