Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SNOWWATCH

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

yr.no have snow forecast for Sally Gap during the afternoon http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Sally_Gap/hour_by_hour.html

Usually reasonably accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,295 ✭✭✭arctictree

Supercell wrote: »
    Any reports from the Roundwood area? Seems far too mild here.

5c and heavy cold rain. Miserable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Temperature rising to 7.6c and DP also rising to 7.1c in Wicklow. Only sign of snow I see from the following is ontop of Lug.

uksnowrisk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

HighLine wrote: »
    Temperature rising to 7.6c and DP also rising to 7.1c in Wicklow. Only sign of snow I see from the following is ontop of Lug.

I had a look at the maps from snow-forecast.com that use the gfs.
    They have 10cm plus snow for top of lug and a smaller amount for an area around mullacleevaun. Seems like 750-800m needed for snow today really.

www.snow-forecast.com next3days

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭coconnellz

Only 4C and heavy rain in cavan could turn to sleet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭lolie

coconnellz wrote: »
    Only 4C and heavy rain in cavan could turn to sleet

Yep, just after turning to sleet a few minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Gurteen at 3c shows the cold air tucking in. Note a second wave pushing into Cork - I suspect when this hits the east midlands hitting the now undercutting cold air coupled with nocturnal cooling that we may see some wet snow.

Temperatures in South Laois are dropping too... 4.3c now.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 willier

Wet snow falling near Borrisoleigh Co. Tipperary at the moment. It has been at it for the past half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Still pissing out of the heavens. I hate this rain, I want SNOW! :(

And in the 2 weeks ahead, still no sign of snow for Grange!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Had to go out at lunch, and in the Belfield/ Donnybrook area there was definitely spells of mixed precip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭highdef

willier wrote: »
    Wet snow falling near Borrisoleigh Co. Tipperary at the moment. It has been at it for the past half hour.

how near are you to there? I see that the village is at about 100m ASL but there are a lot nearby hills that are close to 200m ASL....that could make a BIG difference with regards to what is falling.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Had to go out at lunch, and in the Belfield/ Donnybrook area there was definitely spells of mixed precip.

I doubt it...temperatures at non official weather stations near that area are currently showing 7/8c with DP not far from those figures so the only mixed precip you could manage would be rain or hail and I don't expect there to be hail.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭Macy0161

highdef wrote: »
    I doubt it...temperatures at non official weather stations near that area are currently showing 7/8c with DP not far from those figures so the only mixed precip you could manage would be rain or hail and I don't expect there to be hail.
    Can only tell you what I saw/ suffered. Definitely more than just rain at a few points - not trying to overplay it, or ramp, just what was there. Came back to the office and few around the window commenting on it (so wasn't just me!).

Colder air beginning to dig in from the west now. Unless stated, all the temperatures below are from unofficial weather stations.

From a Dublin perspective, temps in Dublin are 5/6c in central and west Dublin to 7/8c along coastal areas. 4c is now being recorded at Naas and Maynooth....both not too far away from Dublin.

3/4c is becoming quite widespread across many central areas with a few 2c reports now appearing. Importantly, 2c with a DP of 1c (with moderate rain) is being reported from Mullingar which is an official Met station. Mullingar is generally located at about 100 - 120m ASL.

There is also a 1c (with DP of 0c) report coming in from a station approx half way between Mullingar and Virginia, on the Meath/Westmeath border. if the plotting is correct, it is located about 150m ASL.

So some interesting reports there....If the reports coming in are accurate, we should be hearing reports of proper wet snow soon, especially from posters with a bit of elevation.....say above 150/200m.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 willier

how near are you to there? I see that the village is at about 100m ASL but there are a lot nearby hills that are close to 200m ASL....that could make a BIG difference with regards to what is falling.

I'm on the Nenagh side of the village at about 150m ASL.
    It's raining again but I can see the snow line on the hill beside me and it looks to be still snowing up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

The rain is obviously 99.99% melted snow here in north Kildare.

The GFS forecast sounding for here shows not much cold undercutting this afternoon as the rain passes. Note how the wet-bulb temperature is above zero for around 900 metres, so is the limiting factor for evaporative cooling. This scenario is a classic cold rain setup.

sondagegfs_101_35_9_0_1449153685.png
    sondagegfs_104_35_12_0_1449154033.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A bit sleet evident in the rain in North Dublin now. Evaporative cooling doing it's best.

A bit sleet evident in the rain in North Dublin now. Evaporative cooling doing it's best.

There's no evaporative cooling at the moment with such saturated low levels. When the low levels do dry out later the rain will have ended.

According to this morning's Hirlam we should be getting pasted right now. I think Hirlam should stand for "Has It Really Lost All Marbles?"

hirlamuk-1-8-0_ogj1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Granolite

FWVT wrote: »
    According to this morning's Hirlam we should be getting pasted right now. I think Hirlam should stand for "Has It Really Lost All Marbles?"

hirlamuk-1-8-0_ogj1.png

For the hatched area outlined it translates as 'risk of snow'..not actually a definitive snow forecast, so wouldnt take it too literally.

5.6kWp - SW (220 degrees) - North Sligo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Its pretty much just representing what its parent model (ECMWF) shows.

Defo overdoing it!!

FWVT wrote: »

hirlamuk-1-8-0_ogj1.png

Admittedly, it is rather close to being a snow event away from very low elevations in many central locations with 2m temps of 3/4c being very common and 2c at the official met station in Mullingar with a 1c DP.....that is extremely close to being a wet snow scenario however as you said the lower atmosphere is not so conducive for a snow set-up so it is looking very much like a close but no cigar day.

This is a classic case where the computer models require human input with regards to a weather forecast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Still 11c in Arklow
    Dropping very fast though,1 degree in last 10mins for example

Admittedly, it is rather close to being a snow event away from very low elevations in many central locations with 2m temps of 3/4c being very common and 2c at the official met station in Mullingar with a 1c DP.....that is extremely close to being a wet snow scenario however as you said the lower atmosphere is not so conducive for a snow set-up so it is looking very much like a close but no cigar day.

This is a classic case where the computer models require human input with regards to a weather forecast.

I would go by wet-bulb temperature, not dewpoint. A dewpoint of 0 and a temp of 2 means a wet-bulb above 1, so not good for snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kn2k10

Its been sleeting for ages in meath

Granolite wrote: »
    For the hatched area outlined it translates as 'risk of snow'..not actually a definitive snow forecast, so wouldnt take it too literally.

Yes, but my point is that the other hi-res models are not showing this and are correct. The Hirlam seems to be on something this winter so far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,295 ✭✭✭arctictree

Dublin AP now at 3c and raining. Will be interesting in a while when I go home to Roundwood.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

kn2k10 wrote: »
    Its been sleeting for ages in meath

what part of meath was that? nothing but cold rain here all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Top of the Cooleys in Louth at 4pm.

Photo taken from "Louth Weather" Facebook page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

We had a bit of snow fall on higher ground today in Kerry as well.
    I noticed when the clouds lifted a bit, there was decent amount of snow on Caherconree
    http://imgur.com/xnq40Iw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement