Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SNOWWATCH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Have the cameras ready donegal people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Weatherproof79

Sleety rain has turned to snow this past 20 minutes. I'm low ground. Lough Mourne station in donegal is currently 0c altitude of 160m asl

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Nice coating of snow on the hills here in Donegal. Temp here: 2.5C

Donegal this morning

Unlike the previous pic this isn't one of mine. Barnesmore gap this morning. Altitude of road is 160-180m were pic is taken.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Unlike the previous pic this isn't one of mine. Barnesmore gap this morning. Altitude of road is 160-180m were pic is taken.

It must have snowed sideways? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Or the car went sideways :pac: , hope not.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

DOCARCH wrote: »
    It must have snowed sideways? :P

tumblr_mcimmcNoMG1rnl9ur.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cornilius

Nice snow showers here in Aberdeen yesterday evening. A very icy day today. Very little thaw. I don't know how the snow seems to hang on here much better than home with the same temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Snowstandards

Any snow currently? Goddamn I'm excited after seeing pictures of Donegal! :)

• Advertisement

Any snow currently? Goddamn I'm excited after seeing pictures of Donegal! :)

Most of the country has temperatures in the double digits :P

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Snowstandards

Carnacalla wrote:
    Most of the country has temperatures in the double digits

Can't we just pretend? :'(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

The Hirlam has snowmageddon for much of the south and midlands tomorrow, but again I think it is showing false cold (theta-e and theta-w). With soil temperatures falling no lower than around 6 °C tonight and dewpoints remaining above zero the surface cold layer will not get cold or deep enough to support low-level snow in this scenario. Higher ground and mountains will get a pasting, however.

This is twice in as many weeks that I've noticed the Hirlam being too cold.

hirlamuk-1-28-0_isl3.png

hirlamuk-45-33-0_sja5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

GO HOME HIRLAM , YOU'RE DRUNK!!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Iancar29 wrote: »
    GO HOME HIRLAM , YOU'RE DRUNK!!
    lucky git

Yep, just as I thought, the 18Z run has no mention of snow, except for the Wicklow mountains.

hirlamuk-1-20-0_cgh3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

FWVT wrote: »
    Yep, just as I thought, the 18Z run has no mention of snow, except for the Wicklow mountains.

hirlamuk-1-20-0_cgh3.png

Woohoo the Wicklow mountains would do me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Latest EC going for snow inland south Leinster.

Deem it unlikely though, although if there is some really heavy precip there could be some evaporative cooling and there is a cold undercut. Certainly something to watch above 300m

Latest EC going for snow inland south Leinster.

Deem it unlikely though, although if there is some really heavy precip there could be some evaporative cooling and there is a cold undercut. Certainly something to watch above 300m

That would really be heavy snow if it happened.

EC is still bullish for snow across inland south Leinster/ wicklow mtns today.

• Advertisement

Just for the fun of it... Forecast snow depths at 1800hrs

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Is that in metres? :p

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Is that in metres? :p

Yes :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Any reports from the Roundwood area? Seems far too mild here.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I can't see that happening at all. The 12Z hirlam yesterday hinted at something similar bit snapped right out of it since. Forecast soundings show that any evaporative cooling potential will still be above zero through a deep surface layer so that would produce cold rain, except on mountains. Dewpoints are 3-6 °C throughout that area now and will only get higher. There might be some brief backedge snow on hills this evening.

Soil temperatures are high and I think the ECM and hirlam have been struggling with that. The surface layer could never get cold or deep enough overnight.

Yea, I certainly wouldn't be following that guidance blindly, although the fold air does undercut this afternoon and 850 0C isotherm backs east. Likely to be some sleet.. wet snow if precips stays heavy enough. Would not expect low level accumulations, but these things can be tricky. Current conditions can often have limited relevance if the cold undercuts and the precip is really intense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Evaporative cooling should lower the snow line down to around 300/400 metres this afternoon I reckon. Precipitation looks to be very intense with spot flooding a possibility. In the city a lot of cold rain with sleet at best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

It's very cold here in east Clare.
    The temperature has dropped significantly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Current DP in Ashford, Wicklow is 6.2C..... I really can't see this turning to snow other than on the highest peaks. If I get a chance to take a spin up the gap (circa 500m) later, I will report back later.

• Advertisement

HighLine wrote: »
    Current DP in Ashford, Wicklow is 6.2C..... I really can't see this turning to snow other than on the highest peaks. If I get a chance to take a spin up the gap (circa 500m) later, I will report back later.

I'd wait until afternoon. Any possible snow (to high ground) would be more back edge stuff, as the rain band starts to move east and colder air from the NE is dragged in behind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement