Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SNOWWATCH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

No snow in Arklow but mother of God that breeze is something to behold. Behind bitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Just teetering on the brink. The snowline is currently around 200 m but should come down overnight.

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynop?lang=en&esc=2&nav=Yes&lat=55N&lon=005W&proy=orto&base=bluem&ano=2015&mes=11&day=20&hora=21&min=0&vsg=Sg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Heavy hail now in South Sligo (400+ft asl)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Any predictions/reports for this belt of precip making its way down the east coast? Most have being fizzling out but this is hitting Louth by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭pauldry

Its 6c now in Sligo after 1c at 6.

A trough over North. May get colder before dawn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Weatherproof79

pauldry wrote: »
    Its 6c now in Sligo after 1c at 6.

A trough over North. May get colder before dawn

Yeah temperatures up to 5/6 degrees across the North West. There was ice and a bit of snow earlier all melted now. Peculiar

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some nice gusts out there with stations in the west gusting above 40 knots and Malin Head reporting a gust of 65 knots at 11pm.... orange warning level....

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Any accumulations?

Not really. Bit on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Snow time here just outside Glasgow...its been going solid for half an hour so there's a nice little covering on the ground. Nothing huge but not bad for mid November.

• Advertisement

Had a gust of 51knots just there in sligo town

Wheres the stormy weather suddenly come from. Somethin in the back yard has gone crash (dont be my weather station)

Think past shower trough was a squal causing high gusts hail and some thunder

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

pauldry wrote: »
    Had a gust of 51knots just there in sligo town

Wheres the stormy weather suddenly come from. Somethin in the back yard has gone crash (dont be my weather station)

Think past shower trough was a squal causing high gusts hail and some thunder

Yes it's gusting here in South Sligo too hail on it and has gotten milder but haven't checked the temps - feels colder than 6 though - I heard a crash too turned out some branches has cracked off a big tree in the garden - I knew the wind was coming but didn't expect such high gusts as I'm a bit more inland to the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Hooter23

That big shower is moving towards Galway doubt there will be any snow from it but it might bring some strong winds instead as others have been reporting I will give an update when it reaches here...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Snowvember...

G8iSITs.jpg

N1ReNyf.jpg

Warmer air filtering down across more areas of the country. Temperatures have risen at most stations bar Leinster although Dub airport up slightly.

Warmer air filtering down across more areas of the country. Temperatures have risen at most stations bar Leinster although Dub airport up slightly.

Only in Ireland...warm air from the arctic and Iceland and cold Summers.

Its a bit Irish isnt it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

been quiet stormy here for past 2 hours, frost long melted and feeling mild, very high winds, I thought this was gonna be a calm and frosty night!

The warm sector has bugged off. Brief snow shower just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cornilius

Nice little cover of snow here this morning in Aberdeen. Surprised it's still hanging around. I live close to the city centre as well. Although it is Scotland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

LUGnov2015.jpg
    image upload no compression

Today on Lugnaquilla, very cold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Yesterday I said that the hi-res models were showing a colder scenario than the GFS was and that we'd have to wait and see which was correct. Well, strange to say that the GFS won out for once, with its short-range forecasts coinciding exactly with the radiosondes at 00 and 12Z.

The Hirlam had theta-e values of 10 °C over much of the country while the GFS had more like 12 °C. Soundings from Castor Bay show that 12 is how it turned out. Theta-w values of +3 °C were correctly forecast by the GFS while the Hirlam was saying 0-1 °C.

This turned out to be the difference between snow and the actual rain most areas got, so it goes down as a big Post-It for the next time. Don't always assume that the hi-res models will always be more accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Mod note

Snow reports only please guys
    Posts relating to Autumn & Winter weather in general have been moved to the appropriate chat thread

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Lumi wrote: »
    Mod note

Snow reports only please guys
    Posts relating to Autumn & Winter weather in general have been moved to the appropriate chat thread

Thanks

Aaaand thats the end of this thread so then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

This is another one from Lugnaquilla yesterday. I would say the temperature was about -5 but the wind made it feel well below -10.

LUGHROCK.jpg
    host image online

Next Friday may be similar for anyone who may wish to see a bit of early snow.

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Lugnaquilla/forecasts/925

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cornilius

Snow still lying here since Friday evening. We had more heavy snow showers Saturday night. Aberdeen is my location. Thought it would have thawed by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Get used to it cornilius. I lived there for 14 years and snowy winters are the norm. Not so much in the city itself but once you go a few miles inland you get loads most years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Cornilius wrote: »
    Snow still lying here since Friday evening. We had more heavy snow showers Saturday night. Aberdeen is my location. Thought it would have thawed by now.

that's probably more snow than what i'll see all winter!

Heavy snow shower Donegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

This is another one from Lugnaquilla yesterday. I would say the temperature was about -5 but the wind made it feel well below -10.

LUGHROCK.jpg
    host image online

Next Friday may be similar for anyone who may wish to see a bit of early snow.

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Lugnaquilla/forecasts/925

Class. I love treking icy peaks in the wind and cloud. Dont foget the goggles, the ice spray can cut your face off!

• Advertisement

STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Donegal
    Risk of up to 3 cm of snow in parts of Co. Donegal on Monday morning

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement