Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2016

Options

Comments

solerina wrote: »
    S O Brien, S Kennedy, B Maher....all huge losses to the football team

Bill Maher is best suited to football. He is a marvelous footballer. Perhaps O'Brien might also fit into that category. He did say that if he got the time to practice he could improve as a hurler but i think ultimately he is too good a footballer to waste his talent on the hurling bench. He is strong and offers a good ballwinning option. But i just cant see him or Bill becoming a major starter for Tipp. Seamus on the other hand could well fill that gap left by Conor o'mahony. Watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Bill Maher is best suited to football. He is a marvelous footballer. Perhaps O'Brien might also fit into that category. He did say that if he got the time to practice he could improve as a hurler but i think ultimately he is too good a footballer to waste his talent on the hurling bench. He is strong and offers a good ballwinning option. But i just cant see him or Bill becoming a major starter for Tipp. Seamus on the other hand could well fill that gap left by Conor o'mahony. Watch this space.
    Agree, while all are great footballers, SK is an amazing athlete....he really is the perfect dual player...pity he has to choose one code

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Paddico

solerina wrote: »
    S O Brien, S Kennedy, B Maher....all huge losses to the football team

I think their loss to Tipp football is far greater than the impact they will make with the hurlers. Shame really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Good to see Ado Ryan get another crack at the whip. Fitzelle a strange one. He was barely turning out for his club from what i hear. No Tadhg Gallagher either.

Seen Templederry on a number of occasions last year and Adrian Ryan was their stand out player every time so yes definitely agree he deserves another shot.

Fitzelle is bizzare indeed, he seems to have garnered a reputation on teh back of a minor final against Dublin in which his physicality caused Dublin serious problems, it seems to be forgotten that he wasn't deemed good enough to be on that team all year and that his hurling was extremely limited and is not likely to have improved by not making a Cashel team that have fallen to all time lows.

Gallagher's omission doesn't surprise me to be honest, he is exactly the type of hurler that the county is littered with, his brother will be far more suited to inter county hurling and to be honest the bigger surprise was when Tadghie was called in by O'Shea.

Paddico wrote: »
    I think their loss to Tipp football is far greater than the impact they will make with the hurlers. Shame really

That remains to be seen really, if it doesn't work out with the hurlers then I'm sure they will be welcomed back with open arms.

Bill Maher will be back playing football by April. This is not exactly a new development either, it has been happening for years and will continue to happen for ever more, the only player ever to conciously pick football over hurling was Declan Browne and he was a once in a generation footballer, Colin O'Riordan may well have followed suit but that's a moot point as he wasn't near a good enough hurler to begin with.

This is why Tipp will never, despite what some with vested interests tell you, be a top dual county at senior level, the numbers or indeed the finances simply aren't there. Dublin with a far bigger population and budget are unable to truly reach the top level at hurling, why?? Because all their top minors are dual players and the only ones who end up playing hurling are those deemed not good enough for the footballers or those who end up surplus to requirements in the latter part of their careers. Cork and Galway are two other examples of counties who have tried and failed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Paddico wrote: »

I would agree, many who support the blue and gold would prefer to see the best footballers help us get promotion to Division 2.

In fact many of the football supporters would gladly sacrifice a McCarthy Cup if it meant that these footballers helped Tipperary become a force in football. And why not ? Isn't this what a true football supporter is all about !

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

danganabu wrote: »
    Seen Templederry on a number of occasions last year and Adrian Ryan was their stand out player every time so yes definitely agree he deserves another shot.

Fitzelle is bizzare indeed, he seems to have garnered a reputation on teh back of a minor final against Dublin in which his physicality caused Dublin serious problems, it seems to be forgotten that he wasn't deemed good enough to be on that team all year and that his hurling was extremely limited and is not likely to have improved by not making a Cashel team that have fallen to all time lows.

Gallagher's omission doesn't surprise me to be honest, he is exactly the type of hurler that the county is littered with, his brother will be far more suited to inter county hurling and to be honest the bigger surprise was when Tadghie was called in by O'Shea.

Jeez i dunno he seems to have pace to burn if he can get a ball in his hand and unlike the others we are littered with he loves to run at backs.

Jeez i dunno he seems to have pace to burn if he can get a ball in his hand and unlike the others we are littered with he loves to run at backs.

Getting it in to his hand is the problem though, work rate and physical presence would leave a lot to be desired. He is the fastest I have ever seen to be honest but I don't think its enough, not yet anyway, maybe in time.

danganabu wrote: »
    That remains to be seen really, if it doesn't work out with the hurlers then I'm sure they will be welcomed back with open arms.

Bill Maher will be back playing football by April. This is not exactly a new development either, it has been happening for years and will continue to happen for ever more, the only player ever to conciously pick football over hurling was Declan Browne and he was a once in a generation footballer, Colin O'Riordan may well have followed suit but that's a moot point as he wasn't near a good enough hurler to begin with.

This is why Tipp will never, despite what some with vested interests tell you, be a top dual county at senior level, the numbers or indeed the finances simply aren't there. Dublin with a far bigger population and budget are unable to truly reach the top level at hurling, why?? Because all their top minors are dual players and the only ones who end up playing hurling are those deemed not good enough for the footballers or those who end up surplus to requirements in the latter part of their careers. Cork and Galway are two other examples of counties who have tried and failed.

I think the failure to manage dual players is down to the coaches from grass roots up tbh and the organisation as a whole isnt as interested in society as it likes to claim it is. Glory and medals is the carrot dangled over nurturing actual attitude, ability and talent. No guidance given to youngsters whatsoever. Just egomaniacs trying to put a feather in their caps and live vicariously through the kids. Game is all about getting the strongest in from a young age. They claim to be these great social givers but the GAA gets more from society then it puts back. They get their grass cut for nothing by lads on the scambridge in pitches all over the country.

Quite frankly the reason there is failure to develop both codes is because there is hapless power hungry individuals throughout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Am I barred from this? Anyone else having trouble finding the follow button?!??!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Am I barred from this? Anyone else having trouble finding the follow button?!??!!
    No problem for me. Contact one of the site admins/boards.ie accounts or site admin if having an issue id say

Sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

Documentary with Lar and Eoin on Setanta Christmas evening. Might be of interest to some..........think there is some more chat about Babs!!

Hurlers have a game against Offaly in Templemore Sunday week 2pm.

If this weather keeps up they'll be surfing instead...

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Peter McNulty Tournament ( Leinster and surrounding areas League style of thing ) Under 21 Football : Tipp 1-11 Down 0-12 , hopefully Seniors can get year off to a good start by beating Clare tomorrow !

Beaten by a point in Miltown Malbay , late Clare goal won it . Plenty of new faces . Kevin O`Halloran done very well as did Brian Fox and Josh Keane .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Beaten by a point in Miltown Malbay , late Clare goal won it . Plenty of new faces . Kevin O`Halloran done very well as did Brian Fox and Josh Keane .

Great to see other players step up to the plate when Clonmel Commercials players are unavailable !

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    Great to see other players step up to the plate when Clonmel Commercials players are unavailable !

Will only be two Commercials players involved I would imagine, although I believe there were a few others missing.

• Advertisement

Tipp Team yesterday : C Kendrick, J Feehan, A Campbell, C O’Shaughnessy, J O’Callaghan, R Kiely, S Leahy, A Moloney, M Dunne, B Fox, C Sweeney, J Keane, K O’Halloran, L Casey, B Hewitt.

Great to see Alan Moloney back after a really bad injury . John O`Callaghan back also been a while since he was involved . Missing the likes of Codd , McDonald , Grogan , Acheson and Quinlivan . Heard Philip Austin had an accident on the family Farm on Saturday night , had to go to Limerick for treatment on his arm , I haven`t heard the extent of the injury . Hopefully nothing serious and Philip will be back giving it everything for Club and County soon !

Anyone know who Joe Ryan from the Ballincollig Club in Cork is ? He is on the Tipp Under 21 Football Squad , played last weekend against Down .

Anyone know who Joe Ryan from the Ballincollig Club in Cork is ? He is on the Tipp Under 21 Football Squad , played last weekend against Down .

All I know is his dad is originally from the Silvermines and he was part of both the Cork Minor panels last year, no idea why he has switched allegiance or if he is any good!

I know he got an injury last year and was subsequently cut from both Cork minor panels perhaps he was or felt he was treated shabbily or maybe they he has moved back to Tipp, no idea to be honest.

Another win in the Leinster Under 21 Football League v Laois 1-7 to 0-8 .

Conor Stakelum joining senior hurling management team...

Conor Stakelum joining senior hurling management team...

Just heard the same, and to be honesty am a little shocked, I don't recall him having any previous management roles ever apart from a brief stint with his own club a few years back which wasn't exactly earth shattering, but without knowing his exact role etc. we will reserve judgement. The management team was looking rather lob sided with ex-defenders so at least he is different in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

Anyone make it to the game or any reports from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,577 ✭✭✭✭klose

frankz wrote: »
    Anyone make it to the game or any reports from it?

Won by 5 and Cathal Barrett picked up an injury and will miss the start of the league campaign unfortunately.

klose wrote: »
    Won by 5 and Cathal Barrett picked up an injury and will miss the start of the league campaign unfortunately.

Has this been confirmed? Two weeks was what I heard originally and he has been named in the Thurles CBS all stars team to play Tipp on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

klose wrote: »

Thanks.

Game tell us anything about players or new management style?

Advertisement