Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FSA "How to maximise the new chips use" thread

Options
  • 11-10-2015 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭

Just to follow-up the debate that started in the "Price Changes" thread. Maybe a mod can move the posts here?

Basically the discussion focused around waiting for a late DGW to use the Bench Boost (BB) chip after a planned WC or use it any random GW when it suits well your current team.

We have to bear in mind chips can't be use while playing (y)our WC and there's also the Triple Captain (TC) & potentially the All Out Attack (AOA) chips to be used ; initially we also thought better for a DGW (particularly for the former).

If you mix all these things together, I think the ideal scenario would be a situation like last year or 3 years ago if memory serves me right where 2 late and significantly big DGWs happen 2 to 3 GWs apart with a rather important blank GW at least 2 GWs before the first DGW, such that you can work out a (perfect on paper) plan to use all 4 chips one after each other.

Below is one potentially "perfect" scenario to plan (roughly it mirrors how I played, without the chips, the successive late blanks-DGWs last season and apart from 1 DGW that I foolishly snobed, it worked a treat for me).
    1. AOA for the blank GW by gradually stocking on attackers from the playing teams.
    2. WC to build your strong XV for the first DGW.
    3. BB for the first DGW (in this scenario this would be the bigger one of the 2 and you could really get a XV DGW squad e.g. Leicester cheap defensive cover would have been great last year for that purpose)
    4. TC for the second DGW

So, what's your point of view?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Hopefully its not one of those years where injuries & rotation go and ruin all our plans!

How much notice we get is going to be a key on deciding which way to approach it. Hopefully we get a good bit of notice so we can build the squad for it and then fix it with the WC afterwards instead of WC to get the DGW team and then try and fix the mess with FTs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

Tip: Don't use your all out attack chip like I did! :pac:

(Last week. Mahrez didn't play so my chip got eaten and Browning came in anyway.)

(Last week. Mahrez didn't play so my chip got eaten and Browning came in anyway.)

Yeh best not to use it when someone who no one saw getting left out gets left out! Definitely should have saved it for a week when all your attackers were going to play thats a terrible mistake!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

It's a pretty useless chip anyway imo. I played it the other week and the extra mid I played got 1 more pt than the defender I would have played. I'd nearly class that as a succesful use of the chip. I'd be interested to hear other examples I know csf got a great boost off it by getting payet 16 pts although I think the defender he was going to play got 6. A net gain of 10 I reckon is almost as good as you can hope for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

It's a pretty useless chip anyway imo. I played it the other week and the extra mid I played got 1 more pt than the defender I would have played. I'd nearly class that as a succesful use of the chip. I'd be interested to hear other examples I know csf got a great boost off it by getting payet 16 pts although I think the defender he was going to play got 6. A net gain of 10 I reckon is almost as good as you can hope for.
    I guess, ideally, in February or March (before CL second round actually starts) you could, if context allows (e.g. Kolarov & Bellerin - assuming they are your 2 premium defs - injured/dropped/their team out of CS form), dump your 2 premium defs and build a strong front 8 with 5 premium mids.
    Actually if Agüero was to have another 3 to 4 weeks injury period, you could build something like Sanchez Hazard KDB Payet Ayew - Costa Martial/Pellè Vardy. While I'm on my fantasy utopia, let's also assume the big teams all have a decent home fixture like last GW and there you go ;).

• Advertisement

Yeh it doesn't add anywhere near as much as the other new chips. A few extra points seems like it would be a great return. I am keeping it in case of a defensive injury crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

I think Bench Boost could be played not in a DGW. Assuming Jonny Evans is fit, I currently have a strong front 8 and 15 starters in my team. Who knows if I'll be able to do that in March if I need to fit Aguero, Sturridge, Sanchez, and KDB in. That said, I'll still be waiting since last season showed Hull and Sunderland defenders can get double digits in a DGW and there were plenty of bargain price mids like Phillips and Albrighton that did the business.

Triple captain for sure I have earmarked for a DGW due to the greater chance of more points over 180 mins than 90 mins.

All Out Attack will be if I have a strong front 8 and only two defenders I'd be happy playing

iroced wrote: »
    1. AOA for the blank GW by gradually stocking on attackers from the playing teams.
    2. WC to build your strong XV for the first DGW.
    3. BB for the first DGW (in this scenario this would be the bigger one of the 2 and you could really get a XV DGW squad e.g. Leicester cheap defensive cover would have been great last year for that purpose)
    4. TC for the second DGW

So, what's your point of view?

I think 1. will be tough since the better teams are more likely to be in DGWs and therefore have blanks. I wouldn't want to ship out someone like KDB who I had lots of value tied up in just to get him back after the blank

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Good idea for a thread. Have been thinking a bit about this myself.

Here's my plan:
    AOA: Don't really value this one too much, but I still have both WCs. For better of worse, I'm going to try and keep my first WC as late as possible. I don't want to fix it in stone, but currently thinking GW 16. The aim will be to get a strong front 8 for the christmas period. So I will play the AOA in GW 17.
    BB & TC: I'm thinking similarly to others, ie wait for DGWs later in the season to maximise the possibilty of big returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

I think 1. will be tough since the better teams are more likely to be in DGWs and therefore have blanks. I wouldn't want to ship out someone like KDB who I had lots of value tied up in just to get him back after the blank
    Yeah but in my ideal scenario you get back these players (KDB in your example ; Sanchez last year for me) in the post AOA WC to build your BB GW ;).

Last year actually had the perfect set-up for my ideal plan. And we also knew enough beforehand to plan accordingly. I mean Leicester were on fire so you could get 3 of them easily for the BB. QPR also had very decent option (e.g. Austin). And Chelsea had a very decent fixture for the blank GW. Now, of course, the odds are very low for this situation to repeat itself.

• Advertisement

iroced wrote: »
    Yeah but in my ideal scenario you get back these players (KDB in your example ; Sanchez last year for me) in the post AOA WC to build your BB GW ;).

Last year actually had the perfect set-up for my ideal plan. And we also knew enough beforehand to plan accordingly. I mean Leicester were on fire so you could get 3 of them easily for the BB. QPR also had very decent option (e.g. Austin). And Chelsea had a very decent fixture for the blank GW. Now, of course, the odds are very low for this situation to repeat itself.

We should see bigger/more DGWs this season. Last season there were no PL fixtures during FA Cup quarterfinal weekend and this season there are. If three of the top four have a DGW the same week, I would think a WC or early planning could easily get you more than 11 DGWers that you then wouldn't immediately have to get rid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭LucidLife

So I just would like some opinions on these chips.

I think we generally feel the triple captain will be played on a big boy (I'm hoping an in form Aguero myself but will see) in DGW but any other plans or who hit the 75 with Aguero (nice result)? Who played and failed?

The All Out Attack I played and because somebody from my front 8 got inexplicably dropped it was nullified more or less. Who has played and how have ye done? Who has plans for it? Elaborate?

And bench boost is the one that we were talking about in the wrong place so let's hear what we all think on this. I am very curious because there are some great numbers guys here and while I personally don't contribute a whole lot here, I attribute my often successful (1st, 2nd, 1st in my main league last 3 years) seasons to these forums. I read most posts that are soccer related on boards, sadly perhaps.

Are ye planning the Bench Boost on a DGW, and have ye really thought it through? That would mean massive point hits, perhaps a WC, perhaps no 6 team DGW except the one where you know Sanchez or Aguero has a double GW at home and you perhaps want to play your Triple chip that week that you had saved. No doubt it would leave you with a WC and Bench Boost late in season in that scenario but there are much worse possibilities too.

Most of that was being discussed here yesterday:

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057506674/1/#post97346132

• Registered Users Posts: 20,352 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

All 3 chips all in DGWs

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I don't really have a plan but hope to hold them as long as possible because, as others squander them, I'll have them in my back pocket to hopefully gain a few extra points.

1. The TC will be used in either a DGW or when Aguero has a particularly plum fixture.
    2. The Bench Boost or AOA options one of I will probably keep for the last day of the season when a lot of teams are rotated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Plan to hold Bench Boost and Triple Captain for DGWs.

I think AOA could be used anytime. Having used my FT already, with Aguero in my team and with a defence of Kolarov, Darmian, Francis (at City), Martin and Gomez, I might be using it this week!!

I had a feeling this conversation might be a year too early.

A lot of ye will miss use the chips. It's obvious. Ye seem to unsure too really discuss the chips.

I don't think the chips are a reward for old timers like a lot here are, they are simply to keep those with shorter attention spans around for longer.

It's a gimmick to try and sustain early numbers somewhat. But the chips are 'free' and thus work to appeal to everyone.

I hope all ye try BB on a nice looking DGW and then look back and wonder why no heed was paid.

LucidLife wrote: »

A lot of ye will miss use the chips. It's obvious. Ye seem to unsure too really discuss the chips.

I don't think the chips are a reward for old timers like a lot here are, they are simply to keep those with shorter attention spans around for longer.

It's a gimmick to try and sustain early numbers somewhat. But the chips are 'free' and thus work to appeal to everyone.

I hope all ye try BB on a nice looking DGW and then look back and wonder why no heed was paid.

Yeh its obviously to keep the shorter attention span players logging in but it will more than likely result in more serious players using them wiser and gaining more in the long run. No doubt we will learn a lot about the best way to use them this season and next season everyone might be looking at taking a different approach. While right now people mainly are looking to wait until a DGW to use them that may change if we don't have the right weeks but if that does happen there will always be other good weeks to use them next year whereas those who use them this year aren't going to have that option to check for those DGWs first obviously. People aren't going to blindly be like ahahhhaomgDGW where are my chips they are going to look at each week and decide whether that week is the most likely to gain the most value from using that chip.

I don't have the exact archives at hand, but it seems like in 2013/14 we had 3 DGWs. DGW31 had 10 clubs, DGW34 had 4 clubs, and DGW37 had 6 clubs. DGW31 had Arsenal, Everton, Liverpool, Man City, and ManU who all offered lots of options. So if we see another 10 team DGW due to no PL fixtures on FA Cup Quarters weekend, then I would think it would be quite easy to get double digit DGWers maybe not even with a WC. If you offer me the opportunity to use a Bench Boost now on 4 subs with one match or let me wait until the spring to see if I could get 1/2/3/4 subs with two matches and I have a higher team value, then I'm going to wait

I don't have the exact archives at hand, but it seems like in 2013/14 we had 3 DGWs. DGW31 had 10 clubs, DGW34 had 4 clubs, and DGW37 had 6 clubs. DGW31 had Arsenal, Everton, Liverpool, Man City, and ManU who all offered lots of options. So if we see another 10 team DGW due to no PL fixtures on FA Cup Quarters weekend, then I would think it would be quite easy to get double digit DGWers maybe not even with a WC. If you offer me the opportunity to use a Bench Boost now on 4 subs with one match or let me wait until the spring to see if I could get 1/2/3/4 subs with two matches and I have a higher team value, then I'm going to wait

The team value thing should definitely make a difference too. If you can add 2/3m to you RV over Christmas your bench is going to be a lot stronger which you would expect to offer a better return for that bench boost.

The main reason to wait for me is that it gives you more options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Lemlin wrote: »
    I don't really have a plan but hope to hold them as long as possible because, as others squander them, I'll have them in my back pocket to hopefully gain a few extra points.

1. The TC will be used in either a DGW or when Aguero has a particularly plum fixture.
    2. The Bench Boost or AOA options one of I will probably keep for the last day of the season when a lot of teams are rotated.

Would have thought the last GW would be a bad time to use the bench boost as due to the rotation in teams your full starting xI and bench would not be likely to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

In other threads players seem to be talking about using ALL OUT ATTACK chip sooner rather than later,

Like people have mentioned here IMO your better holding your chips till second half of season to benefit from hopefully having a greater team value etc than now.

KevIRL wrote: »
    Would have thought the last GW would be a bad time to use the bench boost as due to the rotation in teams your full starting xI and bench would not be likely to play.

Depends how the season looks. If there's still a battle for the title and relegation to be sorted, it could be a great day to use bench boost and get some extra points.

jimmii wrote: »
    Yeh its obviously to keep the shorter attention span players logging in but it will more than likely result in more serious players using them wiser and gaining more in the long run. No doubt we will learn a lot about the best way to use them this season and next season everyone might be looking at taking a different approach. While right now people mainly are looking to wait until a DGW to use them that may change if we don't have the right weeks but if that does happen there will always be other good weeks to use them next year whereas those who use them this year aren't going to have that option to check for those DGWs first obviously. People aren't going to blindly be like ahahhhaomgDGW where are my chips they are going to look at each week and decide whether that week is the most likely to gain the most value from using that chip.

That's a ridiculous reply I feel. Why quote me and my post then reply with a long winded "players will try their best to maximize" - this is effectively the backbone of your post no?

You need to take a step back to even understand my points because you clearly don't.

I fail to see where you get off saying "serious players using them wiser and gaining more in the long run" !! Have you even read my post/s? I highlighted this topic for boards by saying the opposite and proving that a lot had ill fated plans regarding BB at least. You cannot back up that statement in any way shape or form. This thread would not have been started in fact if what you said was true, like I say, because the exact opposite of your claim happens to be true.

I know at least one regular here got my drift and will happily wait to next year to discuss it more because so many of ye are overlooking obvious obstacles in my opinion.

The 'ah shur twill be grand' attitude will help you survive, not thrive. Feel free to try and survive the 38 GW's. Attitude of champions.

I appreciate two seasons back we did have a massive DGW season but I seem to recall a new strategy implemented last year to avoid huge clustered DGW? It was most likely mentioned in these forums, does it ring any bells?

Anyway l am not going to explain why it's a bad idea again to people who's argument is "well there might be a good DGW in GW31/34".

jimmii wrote: »
    The team value thing should definitely make a difference too. If you can add 2/3m to you RV over Christmas your bench is going to be a lot stronger which you would expect to offer a better return for that bench boost.

The main reason to wait for me is that it gives you more options.

Waiting does not give you more options at all. One chip, one week. We all have same chips and squad size. Your TV does not get you more points for any chip regardless of how you use it. You cannot use it like a dumb ass and avoid point hits... Just wait and see

Did I miss an additional chip called "chip on your shoulder"!?

Waiting does not give you more options at all. One chip, one week. We all have same chips and squad size. Your TV does not get you more points for any chip regardless of how you use it. You cannot use it like a dumb ass and avoid point hits... Just wait and see

Its definitely interesting to hear a different point of view to the norm and agree we will definitely learn a lot more about the most effective way to use the chips bit I think the best way to use them each season will depend a lot on how the fixtures fall. I'm sure a lot of us will waste them on weeks where it doesn't work but after years of experience of wildcards lots of us still waste those too its all part of the fun of this stupid game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

This is a ridiculous reply I feel. OP was talking about RV not TV. RV used in possible conjunction with a wildcard to stack your team ahead of a DGW or to fix your team after a DGW or to use it at the end of the year as a last throw of the dice to triumph magnificently or fail ignominiously.

If you cannot "get his drift" in relation to this, stacking your team with Heavy hitters who can all come off the bench (say for the BB Chip) or where you can load a seriously strong front 8 (say for the AOA) then keep on trucking with your "Attitude of Champions"

I've read your posts. You asked for discussion and for opinions. You were offered both. You're free to take it or leave it. As you've said yourself, you don't contribute a whole lot here and I do see people like OP contributing a whole hell of a lot on here on a daily and weekly basis, both in information and humor.

I hope you do contribute more on here. Thats what makes this a collaborative and excellent resource.

Good to see people being so passionate about FPL! While we may not all agree I think its great to be sharing opinions on this as its new and we may all pick up things from the different approches people are taking. Much like wildcards I don't think there is going to be one strategy to rule them all that's going to be half the fun of trying to figure it out what works when.

If someone thinks the better players won't use the chips more effectively I don't agree with that but its an opinion and they're welcome to it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

That's a ridiculous reply I feel. Why quote me and my post then reply with a long winded "players will try their best to maximize" - this is effectively the backbone of your post no?

You need to take a step back to even understand my points because you clearly don't.

I fail to see where you get off saying "serious players using them wiser and gaining more in the long run" !! Have you even read my post/s? I highlighted this topic for boards by saying the opposite and proving that a lot had ill fated plans regarding BB at least. You cannot back up that statement in any way shape or form. This thread would not have been started in fact if what you said was true, like I say, because the exact opposite of your claim happens to be true.

I know at least one regular here got my drift and will happily wait to next year to discuss it more because so many of ye are overlooking obvious obstacles in my opinion.

The 'ah shur twill be grand' attitude will help you survive, not thrive. Feel free to try and survive the 38 GW's. Attitude of champions.

I appreciate two seasons back we did have a massive DGW season but I seem to recall a new strategy implemented last year to avoid huge clustered DGW? It was most likely mentioned in these forums, does it ring any bells?

Anyway l am not going to explain why it's a bad idea again to people who's argument is "well there might be a good DGW in GW31/34".

I think you are making your point a bit to strong here. I agree somewhat with your general point about some obstacles people may face further down the line. I also think people are possibly overestimating the use/ benefit of these chips.
    To give some examples
    1. Triple captain assume you always captain aguero.
    Player 1 uses his TC in a SGW(3) and then also captains aguero in a DGW(4). He gets aguero's points 7 times.
    Player 2 uses his TC in a DGW(6) and then you must include a SGW(2). Therefore the benefit of holding it for a DGW is you get aguero's points once more than somebody that TC in a SGW. Factor in that the DGW fixture may not be as good as some SGW and the potential boost from it is negligible.
    2. Bench Boost assume you can get a squad full of DGW players
    Player 1 uses it in a SGW he gets points for 15 players and then in a DGW he has 11 players playing twice(22). He gets points for 37 players.
    Player 2 uses it ina DGW he gets 15 playing twice(30) and then has 11 in the SGW. He gets points for 41 players.
    This is the best chip IMO as statistically you are giving yourself 4 extra players and I feel this one should really be played in a DGW. The TC you are only giving yourself 1 extra player granted it is going to be a really strong player
    3. MY thoughts on the AOA chip are its totally luck of the draw and I think just play it when it suits. If you gain a couple of points from it you have done well.

On the chances of DGWs as Ziegler said 2013/2014 season is the one to refer to as like this season the fa cup qf clash with a round of league games. This didnt happen last year so there was less DGW's

GW 26 4 teams had a blank as 2 games were called off for weather
    Gw 28 4 teams had a blank for the carling cup final. Highly likely to happen this season
    Gw 29 10 teams had a blank due to the FA cup qf. Again highly likely to be atleast 8 teams with a blank this year
    Gw 31 10 teams with a DGW
    Gw 34 4 teams with a DGW and 2 with a blank due to clashing with FA cup SF
    GW 37 6 teams with a DGW.

Ill be playing my bench boost in the GW that all the FA cup qf teams have their league games rearranged. Ideally my plan would be to wildcard after that but it may not be feasible.

Advertisement