Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Finbarr Cahill is closing on Oliver Plunkett Street.

Carrigaline store will stay open

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Finbarr Cahill is closing on Oliver Plunkett Street.

Carrigaline store will stay open

That's sad to hear about Finbarr Cahill's on OLP. I always got my slacks for school there. Pants were always called slacks in Finbarr's :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Water John wrote: »
    Possibly Keohanes or The Good Fish Co. They would be supplying the multiples.

They’re bringing it in from abroad. They’re a multinational operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

That's sad to hear about Finbarr Cahill's on OLP. I always got my slacks for school there. Pants were always called slacks in Finbarr's :pac:

Finbarr Cahill's used also have another store in the city centre on Castle Street which was near the entrance to the CCYMS Hall but that store is gone for quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Finbarr Cahill's used also have another store in the city centre on Castle Street which was near the entrance to the CCYMS Hall but that store is gone for quite some time.

I'm pretty sure that that shop was a second Leader's shop.
    It was their jeans section.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

For some reason when I hear the word slacks, I always think of something man made like terylene or crimplene :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I can remember being dragged into Leader's by my Dad back in the 70's we never like anything they sold there, they always seemed to be stuck in a time warp.

Leader's which I would normally associate with nearby North Main Street may have used the same unit afterwards as I used be up/down Castle Street a lot back in the late '80's - late '90's. Finbarr Cahill's used have the two city centre stores trading for a certain period and I think it was in connection with my school uniform back in the day. We were originally customers of their Castle Street shop but later had to use Oliver Plunkett Street as the Castle Street shop had closed.

I reckon Leader's probably took up occupancy in the same unit after Finbarr Cahill's closed that branch as it was close to the entrance of Cork Catholic Young Mens' Society Hall (CCYMS). Finbarr Cahill's must be gone from Castle Street since before we reached the '90's.

Another store for the school uniforms was "Smart Bros." near Sless Carpets/Flooring on South Main Street next to the former Beamish & Crawford brewery.

Seamai wrote: »
    For some reason when I hear the word slacks, I always think of something man made like terylene or crimplene :)

When I hear someone say a Pair of Pants or Trousers but yes I recall the parents often use the term "Slacks" as well back in the day - Put some "slack" on the fire there will ya? Business is "slack" today, nobody around! ;)

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Seamai wrote: »
    I can remember being dragged into Leader's by my Dad back in the 70's we never like anything they sold there, they always seemed to be stuck in a time warp.

I haven't been in Cahill's for years but I imagine the interior would look more or less the same as it did in the early to mid 90s when I was going there for school clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

I've noticed a few closures recently - the Gaming Cafe on North Main St & the Four Liars Bistro in Shadon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I reckon Leader's probably took up occupancy in the same unit after Finbarr Cahill's closed that branch as it was close to the entrance of Cork Catholic Young Mens' Society Hall (CCYMS). Finbarr Cahill's must be gone from Castle Street since before we reached the '90's.

I'd say Cahill's must have been gone from there before the mid 80s.
    Anyone else remember this shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

opus wrote: »
    I've noticed a few closures recently - the Gaming Cafe on North Main St & the Four Liars Bistro in Shadon.

That's a real pity. IMO Shandon is one part of the city that should be the heart of tourism in the city and is very neglected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

who_me wrote: »
    That's a real pity. IMO Shandon is one part of the city that should be the heart of tourism in the city and is very neglected.

For sure definitely deserves better. Feel a bit guilty as it was on my list to visit the Four Liars since I moved to Shandon but never got round to it. Was well before my time but the council didn't help by closing down the Craft Centre in '08 because they had some big plan for it, needless to say it's been left to rot since :(

Anyone know what the story is with this pair of matching claw houses on the Douglas Rd? I'm keeping an eye on a friend's house close by so call out there every week or so & get this view a lot. They seem to have been empty for ever!

504616.jpg

I'd say Cahill's must have been gone from there before the mid 80s.
    Anyone else remember this shop?

I was brought into Finbarr Cahill's on Castle Street with my mother on several occasions during the 1980's. Not sure what exact year the shop closed in this location although; I reckon it was probably gone from Castle Street by the late '80's. The other Finbarr Cahill's outlet on Oliver Plunkett Street was also trading at the same time as I recall if the Castle Street shop was ever out of stock of a particular item, the salesman used recommend that we try their other shop on Oliver Plunkett Street instead. I'm almost certain Finbarr Cahill's is where that "Leader's" store on Castle Street occupied afterwards.

I also remember the former CROFT'S Footwear Store nearby on North Main Street which I think collapsed a while back and McCarthy's had a small cake shop just on the corner of Castle Street/North Main Street.

Sad to see the dreadful state & decay of so many buildings on both North Main Street and South Main Street. Those remaining business traders, customers and residents of the area deserve so much better.

opus wrote: »
    For sure definitely deserves better. Feel a bit guilty as it was on my list to visit the Four Liars since I moved to Shandon but never got round to it. Was well before my time but the council didn't help by closing down the Craft Centre in '08 because they had some big plan for it, needless to say it's been left to rot since :(

Anyone know what the story is with this pair of matching claw houses on the Douglas Rd? I'm keeping an eye on a friend's house close by so call out there every week or so & get this view a lot. They seem to have been empty for ever!

504616.jpg

Built in 2010 they've never been lived in and I believe the builder went into NAMA.

It was originally an old house on the site which sold for €1.3m, the two replacement houses are 5000sq ft each (full basement under each) and were on the market for €1.35m each.

Supposedly they were the most technologically advanced houses in Cork when they were built.

Loads of objections to the planning initially as totally out of character but they got through, just didn't sell.

I'm.not sure if they are even on the market at the moment, but 10 years empty would have taken its toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

They were on the market with Savill's for a long time, I think the signs have been taken down (don't know if that means anything). The gates and wooden exterior were given a little TLC a few months back.

They're a bit of an odd choice - if you have €1.3m to spend would you buy a building with a mirror image of it right next door, or would you want to buy something more unique?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

€1.3m?! Ah jaysus. SUrely you'd have dropped the price a bit by now if theyre clearly not moving at that number

They were on the market with Savill's for a long time, I think the signs have been taken down (don't know if that means anything). The gates and wooden exterior were given a little TLC a few months back.

They're a bit of an odd choice - if you have €1.3m to spend would you buy a building with a mirror image of it right next door, or would you want to buy something more unique?

Apparently they have been sold out of NAMA to a builder. That explains the lick of paint.

It's thought he got the pair for €500k in total and likely to go on the market shortly for around €800k EACH.

Money makes money.

Apparently they have been sold out of NAMA to a builder. That explains the lick of paint.

It's thought he got the pair for €500k in total and likely to go on the market shortly for around €800k EACH.

Money makes money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Golden Discs have moved upstairs in Mahon Point to the unit previously occupied by Swamp.

Rituals is due to open in the unit downstairs that Golden Discs vacated.

Signage also gone up for JD Sports on Patrick's Street so it may be opening soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,429 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

There's an ice cream place opening in Brown Thomas called Scrumdiddlys!

There's an ice cream place opening in Brown Thomas called Scrumdiddlys!

In ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,429 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

In ?

I think it's upstairs but not fully sure.
    They've branches in Dublin at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

They have those in a few places like Dun Laoighre. Ive heard good things. But yeah in brown thomas sounds odd.. but not bad!

There's a Scrumdiddlys in Kilkenny as well. I've been there a few times, it's nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

KCs had to close up shop cos all the mongs queuing up outside and inside were incapable of adhering to the social distancing rule.

Burty330 wrote: »
    KCs had to close up shop cos ...........

............ they couldn't facilitate the safety of their customers in the current pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Augeo wrote: »
    ............ they couldn't facilitate the safety of their customers in the current pandemic.

They told their customers what to do on facebook and they couldn't do it , hence why they shut down.
    If their customers followed the rules they would still be open.

• Advertisement

Burty330 wrote: »
    They told their customers what to do on facebook and they couldn't do it , hence why they shut down.
    If their customers followed the rules they would still be open.

They couldn't limit the number of customers inside the shop to 8, it's no ones fault but their own that they couldn't manage that.

No mention of anything else on their facebook page. Telling folk what to do on facebook isn't really enough.

Advertisement