Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,429 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Brennan's cookware is moving to Doughcloyne Industrial Estate in Wilton.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Brennan's cookware is moving to Doughcloyne Industrial Estate in Wilton.

Will be a shame to see them gone from OPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I see a Jianbing restaurant has opened where Ninja Sushi Bento was. Looks like the most authentic Chinese food I've ever seen in Cork, probably bad timing to open. The Japanese opening in the Douglas Centra will be called Okura Japanese Cuisine, signage is up already

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

snotboogie wrote: »
    I see a Jianbing restaurant has opened where Ninja Sushi Bento was. Looks like the most authentic Chinese food I've ever seen in Cork, probably bad timing to open. The Japanese opening in the Douglas Centra will be called Okura Japanese Cuisine, signage is up already

Whatever happened to Ninja?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Be right back

Anyone know what is being built next to Fitzpatricks in Glounthaune?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Anyone know what is being built next to Fitzpatricks in Glounthaune?
    They got their planning permission to extend i believe. As far as i know the pub is gone and they will expand into that side.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/glounthaune-shop-secures-planning-permission-for-2m-redevelopment-919510.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Be right back

They got their planning permission to extend i believe. As far as i know the pub is gone and they will expand into that side.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/glounthaune-shop-secures-planning-permission-for-2m-redevelopment-919510.html

I spotted that the pub was gone but was wondering if they were going to open a cafe or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Harika

Great news for a great shop. Well deserved

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Whatever happened to Ninja?

Ninja opened, closed for refurb after about a month, reopened and closed within about a month again. It was all quite odd.
    Don't know if the new place is run by the same people or not.

I tried the new place. I quite liked it - what they do are basically crepes .

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Sushi Gourmet is opening in Dunnes Bishopstown Court. They are recruiting staff at the moment. They have opened counters in a few other Dunnes already.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Ninja opened, closed for refurb after about a month, reopened and closed within about a month again. It was all quite odd.
    Don't know if the new place is run by the same people or not.

I tried the new place. I quite liked it - what they do are basically crepes .

Chinese crepes?
    Sounds worth a shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

satanta99 wrote: »
    Sushi Gourmet is opening in Dunnes Bishopstown Court. They are recruiting staff at the moment. They have opened counters in a few other Dunnes already.

The yummy mummies will be wetting themselves, I wonder where they will fit it in? Has anyone any idea how O'Connell's Fish is doing? I'm there several times a week and it never seems that busy given the amount of space they take up.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

O'Connell's would shift more fish if they had a sushi counter attached on so good to hear ones about to open. Took till 2020 to get supermarket sushi in Cork which is a stones throw away from the sea , but better late than never i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Italix

Crikey I'd be glad if Cork never got supermarket sushi.

Italix wrote: »
    Crikey I'd be glad if Cork never got supermarket sushi.

Thats a pig ignorant statement. A sushi stall in Dunnes that uses fresh fish from O'Connells would obviously be a grade higher than factory produced sushi from the likes of Tesco or wherever.

The Supermarket Sushi I bought all the time while living in Auckland was as good as the sushi from Dashi and better than sushi from Wasabi , both of which are classed as restaurant quality.
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with supermarket Sushi , especially when you have a huge fresh fish market to source from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Burty330 wrote: »
    Thats a pig ignorant statement. A sushi stall in Dunnes that uses fresh fish from O'Connells would obviously be a grade higher than factory produced sushi from the likes of Tesco or wherever.

The Supermarket Sushi I bought all the time while living in Auckland was as good as the sushi from Dashi and better than sushi from Wasabi , both of which are classed as restaurant quality.
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with supermarket Sushi , especially when you have a huge fresh fish market to source from.

Agreed, if you know where to go supermarket sushi can be amazing. My local supermarket in Hong Kong had better sushi than anything I've had in Cork in a restaurant.

snotboogie wrote: »
    Agreed, if you know where to go supermarket sushi can be amazing. My local supermarket in Hong Kong had better sushi than anything I've had in Cork in a restaurant.

I would love to have supermarket sushi, as I avoid going into town, as nice as Dashi etc are

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Took till 2020 to get supermarket sushi in Cork which is a stones throw away from the sea , but better late than never i suppose.

Nonsense.
    I saw sushi in supermarkets in Cork at least 15 years ago.
    (Definitely M&S, maybe more)
    I can't vouch for the quality but it was around.

Nonsense.

I think there is a misunderstanding in definitions
    Supermarket Sushi
    - Sushi prepped for Supermarkets somewhere in Ireland
    or
    - Sushi prepped by Supermarket Fishmongers from their local sourced fresh fish

Edit: Our canteen had Sushi from Dublin, what made no sense at all when you have Dashi etc locally

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Seamai wrote: »
    The yummy mummies will be wetting themselves, I wonder where they will fit it in? Has anyone any idea how O'Connell's Fish is doing? I'm there several times a week and it never seems that busy given the amount of space they take up.

Irish people still a bit sniffy about fish compared to our European friends, esp Norwegians, Spanish, Portuguese. It's gas when there's trucks being loaded with seafood in places like Castletownbere and Dingle and being driven all the way to the Continent.

• Advertisement

Nonsense.

If at some point M&S stocked Sushi it would have came over on a big lorry from the UK.

Cork is a coastal county so fish can be sourced locally to make sushi. Its never been sold in Irish supermarkets until now , and its still only a select few Dunnes that are making and selling it.

Personally im looking forward to being able to buy "supermarket sushi" without the inconvenience of going into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Sushi Gourmet are a chain which operates a lot of concessions throughout Europe, I spotted it in Auchan/Jumbo in Portugal and in Dunnes Jetland in Limerick.
    I suspect they have their own suppliers and may not use O’Connell.

I very much doubt they will use O'Connells fish. Baxter and Greene don't use any of the bread or cheese from ABC bakery or Sheridans cheesemongers. The food would be much better and probably more expensive if they did, but they don't. The timepiece restaurant uses the cheapest dunnes family favourites brand ingredients from the supermarket for some things. Pallas food supply a lot of stuff I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I very much doubt they will use O'Connells fish. Baxter and Greene don't use any of the bread or cheese from ABC bakery or Sheridans cheesemongers. The food would be much better and probably more expensive if they did, but they don't. The timepiece restaurant uses the cheapest dunnes family favourites brand ingredients from the supermarket for some things. Pallas food supply a lot of stuff I think.

I'll ask Pat

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Lough Cafe is finally reopening tomorrow!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B86oqcXpZob/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Dbu

Dbu wrote: »
    New Japanese Restaurant opening in old Centra in Douglas Village Im told.
    Anyone hear anything?

Okura Japanese cuisine. Looking for staff as per sign on window

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

This job advert for the new Dean hotel on Horgans Quay includes information of what food and beverage options will be in the hotel: https://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1883343

Due to open later in the year

About The Dean:

The newest addition to The Dean’s range of boutique hotels will be coming to Horgan’s Quay, Cork City this year. The 200-bedroom hotel will have The Dean Bar, Dime Coffee, Power Gym and will be topped with scenic views from Sophie’s Rooftop, Restaurant and Bar. The unconventional, fun and comfortable bedrooms and public spaces accommodate all guest experiences, whether travelling for work, rest or play, The Dean welcomes all guests, no matter what the occasion.

I'll ask Pat

The first stock for the sushi bar came in today, only realised because a colleague was complaining that they wanted space in his freezer in the stockroom. I don't know who is supplying the fish but it definitely isn't O'Connells.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

The first stock for the sushi bar came in today, only realised because a colleague was complaining that they wanted space in his freezer in the stockroom. I don't know who is supplying the fish but it definitely isn't O'Connells.

Of course it isn’t. Same as O’Flynns don’t supply burgers to McDonalds although they’re both on Winthrop Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,268 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Possibly Keohanes or The Good Fish Co. They would be supplying the multiples.

Advertisement