Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭thomil

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned yet, but Costa Coffee has opened in th Leeview Pharmacy Building in Ballincollig, and it looks like Iceland will open next door shortly. Just saw it while on the 220 Bus. Good to see that building fully occupied.

Anyway, last post from me for this year. Happy New Year and all the best for 2018!

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Just noticed Dulce Bun House on Oliver Plunkett Street.

http://dulcebunhouse.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭ofcork

I see the name earth has gone up on ernests old pod on south mall new vegan place also a to let sign on the refub building on the corner of parliament st/south mall.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭theboringfox

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Just noticed Dulce Bun House on Oliver Plunkett Street.

http://dulcebunhouse.ie/

Assume price on menu of latte at 4.50 is wrong!!!

Assume price on menu of latte at 4.50 is wrong!!!

Yikes! I assume so. They might want to correct that! I'll give them a message.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

The off licence in the Abbot's Ale House, Devonshire Street has closed and a bar opened in its place. Upstairs only open at weekends now, afaik.
    10 rotating beer taps.
    Nice decor, too.

Was only ever in there once, they used to sell a cheap version of WKD, it was called blue shark.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭limnam

thomil wrote: »
    I don’t know if it’s been mentioned yet, but Costa Coffee has opened in th Leeview Pharmacy Building in Ballincollig, and it looks like Iceland will open next door shortly. Just saw it while on the 220 Bus. Good to see that building fully occupied.

Anyway, last post from me for this year. Happy New Year and all the best for 2018!

Just what we need _another_ place to get undrinkable coffee

Happy new year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

thomil wrote: »

It's great to see the units occupied - it was an eyesore for so long. Costa seems to be doing fierce business since it opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

What was a little café on the left of the Metropole on McCurtain Street is no an outlet for a baker. I bought a lovely Cornish pasty there today.
    I haven't tried the breads but they look very good. I'll report when I try them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

What was a little café on the left of the Metropole on McCurtain Street is no an outlet for a baker. I bought a lovely Cornish pasty there today.
    I haven't tried the breads but they look very good. I'll report when I try them.

Nice spot, but nothing seems to last there (think it was Harley St. Cafe, and Francesca's before that).

That'll change once the footbridge is built, and the 2 hotel developments on Harley St. are complete!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I just tried their brown sourdough.
    Excellent bread.
    It's up there with Pana and Arbutus qualitywise but cheaper and it's far better than anything abc does.

My new bakery!

Bread and Roses sell very good breads, Cornmarket Street on Saturdays.

Also Norse Rye doing the Mahon market, excellent rye bread.

Cameron bakery on Washington Street, very good baguettes and croissants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/fashion-giant-forever-21-to-quit-ireland-after-44m-loss-36470797.html

Not Cork, but Forever 21 is always mentioned here as something people want to see in the city centre.

Well, it is now set to close its Dublin store. Won't be a surprise to many on here who flagged poor European performance but should put an end to the calls for it to open in Cork anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭limnam

limnam wrote: »
    Just what we need _another_ place to get undrinkable coffee

Happy new year!

Called into costa ballincollig during lunch hours was pretty empty and the few times I've past it by it's also been empty.

might be bad timing on their side with starbucks bitesize etc

https://www.bitesize.ie/ on the other hand on Sunday was jammers, great to see. The coffee's not actually too bad here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Having being intent of checking Bite Size. Any time I pass it has a lot of custom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭thomil

limnam wrote: »
    Called into costa ballincollig during lunch hours was pretty empty and the few times I've past it by it's also been empty .

Things will probably pick up once Iceland opens next door. That should happen on January 23rd according to the ads that have now sprung up across Ballincollig. Apologies if they’ve been up a while, I just returned from Germany yesterday.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Looks like a new shop is opening across from Mcdonalds on winthrop st,anyone know whats going in there ?
    Selected Homme opening where the body shop was on Patrick st.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Looks like a new shop is opening across from Mcdonalds on winthrop st,anyone know whats going in there ?

Oh that's a great clothes shop. into the refurbished unit there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

rob316 wrote: »
    Oh that's a great clothes shop. into the refurbished unit there?
    Yeah and another designer but the SH title caught my eye.

• Advertisement

Gamb!t wrote: »

Interesting. Winthorp Street could do with some proper retail outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

A new restaurant called Bocelli has applied for turning the former Ladbrokes on Maylor street into a restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/30-jobs-lost-as-city-bar-rendezvous-closes-465644.html

The Rendezvous in Bishopstown is closed.

Some staff of the Rendezvous Bar in Bishopstown, in the city’s western suburbs, were informed of the move by text message yesterday.

It is understood the business has gone into liquidation.

The man who has run the venue since the early 2000s, Michael O’Donovan, was not available for comment yesterday.

It is not clear what prompted the closure. But trade sources said the possibility that the business was facing possible closure had been flagged to some in the industry before Christmas.

I was in there the other night - nice pub and the only one around that quite large suburban area.....shame really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

blindsider wrote: »
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/30-jobs-lost-as-city-bar-rendezvous-closes-465644.html

Some staff of the Rendezvous Bar in Bishopstown, in the city’s western suburbs, were informed of the move by text message yesterday.

The man who has run the venue since the early 2000s, Michael O’Donovan, was not available for comment yesterday.

It is not clear what prompted the closure. But trade sources said the possibility that the business was facing possible closure had been flagged to some in the industry before Christmas.

I was in there the other night - nice pub and the only one around that quite large suburban area.....shame really.

Always extremely quiet when I was in there. It has a huge catchment area. Very well to do, with a large number of retired people, as well as the hospital close by. It should have found a market. Yet never seemed to draw anyone. It's got to an opportunity for the coffee shop going into Fox's Flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭I8A4RE

I though Carluccios italian restaurant was supposed to be opening on french church street and Donnybrook fair opening in Douglas.. Sorry if already discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,429 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I8A4RE wrote: »
    street and Donnybrook fair opening in Douglas.. Sorry if already discussed.

Any idea where?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭I8A4RE

Douglas Court, I remember reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I8A4RE wrote: »
    Donnybrook fair opening in Douglas.. Sorry if already discussed.

That'd pretty interesting, into the village? I've heard about chopped going into the shut down off licence and Il Padrino (I believe, may have been a different Italian) going into the shut down centra. Douglas badly needs about 2 or 3 places to open in the Main Street in the village, there are 5 empty units almost in a row there; from the detect house next to Marcello's, on to the "3,900 sq foot to let" building (which has been empty for as long as I can remember) and then the old Centra, offie and Extra Vison units back to back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Any idea where?

Ooooh Donnybrook Fair....would love to see that in Cork...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭EnzoScifo

blindsider wrote: »

not surprised at that news. Went for Sunday Lunch a few weeks ago and they'd stopped doing food altogether.

Advertisement