Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I see there's someone opening in a unit in Douglas Court, behind the information desk, next to the jewellers.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

Noticed a planning permission sign by the Brick Lane pub to turn the upstairs (former nightclub) into a tourist hostel.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

opus wrote: »
    Noticed a planning permission sign by the Brick Lane pub to turn the upstairs (former nightclub) into a tourist hostel.

That's good. Not enough places to stay in Cork on a budget.

It's a pity nothing ever happened with the old Other Place, just opposite the lane way. I had some good times in there back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    It's a pity nothing ever happened with the old Other Place, just opposite the lane way. I had some good times in there back in the day.

Yeah strange it's just sitting there, maybe it's part of some masterplan for that section of the street as I have some vague memory of the clothes shop (Mannix?) wanting to build an apartment block there during the property bubble years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭limnam

Been checking costa a fair bit in ballincollig.

Empty in the mornings, empty at lunch and empty in the evening.

Seems to stay open pretty late though.

Not looking good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Are there any plans for Noel Murphy’s bar in Ballyphehane?

I’ve notice it’s gone a good while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,262 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Not sure if the Starbucks in Ballincollig is fairing any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭thomil

Water John wrote: »
    Not sure if the Starbucks in Ballincollig is fairing any better.

I’ve been working out there since before Starbucks moved in. Lunchtime and afternoon seem to be the busy times there. I’ve seen quite a few Dell and VMware badges in there, me included, and they’re doing pretty well, I’d say. Granted, it’s not as manic as Opera Lane or Princes Street, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭EnzoScifo

It's open now as far as I can tell while driving past.

• Advertisement

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    It's open now as far as I can tell while driving past.

It's open a few weeks now, I've heard good reports about it. Local folk working there and lots of decent folk drinking in there.

Since it reopened the element of anti social behaviour in the square has decreased too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

limnam wrote: »
    Been checking costa a fair bit in ballincollig.

Empty in the mornings, empty at lunch and empty in the evening.

Seems to stay open pretty late though.

Not looking good.

Really? I've had the opposite experience. Been roughly half a dozen tines and had to join a queue each time. Various time of the day. Hubby and myself commented that nobody was just getting a coffee - everyone seems to get a nibble too. Had the misfortune to arrive around 1.30p on a recent school day and the place was mobbed with Coláiste Choilm kids - all purchasing.

Starbucks, Bitesize and Nosh & Coffee all seem to do good business too.

Has the Computer Hospital in Douglas closed ?

Must admit I haven't been down there for a while, but there's planning to convert the little building back into a residence

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Has the Computer Hospital in Douglas closed ?

Must admit I haven't been down there for a while, but there's planning to convert the little building back into a residence

If so, good riddance. Horrible operation, had some dreadful customer service in there before.

Really? I've had the opposite experience. Been roughly half a dozen tines and had to join a queue each time. Various time of the day. Hubby and myself commented that nobody was just getting a coffee - everyone seems to get a nibble too. Had the misfortune to arrive around 1.30p on a recent school day and the place was mobbed with Coláiste Choilm kids - all purchasing.

Starbucks, Bitesize and Nosh & Coffee all seem to do good business too.

Yep I work near it so I'm passing a few times a day

Only been to starbucks once and it was over xmas so had a steady flow.

bitesize just seems to be black anytime I'm in or pass by

• Registered Users Posts: 30,428 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The tourist office on The Grande Parade is moving to the former Blacktie premises on Patrick Street!

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Grand-Parade-tourist-office-to-relocate-to-Patricks-Street-d610dbfb-f202-4612-b064-282d14df0402-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭.red.

limnam wrote: »
    Yep I work near it so I'm passing a few times a day

Only been to starbucks once and it was over xmas so had a steady flow.

bitesize just seems to be black anytime I'm in or pass by

We went in one day about 1230ish and it was busy, we got a table as people got up and they came straight over to clean it. By time we were leaving their was 3/4 couples waiting on tables and a que almost out the door for takeaway. Really seems like a success story, very difficult market for them amongst monotonous large chains that are everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

The tourist office on The Grande Parade is moving to the former Blacktie premises on Patrick Street!

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Grand-Parade-tourist-office-to-relocate-to-Patricks-Street-d610dbfb-f202-4612-b064-282d14df0402-ds

Good to see that building being used - it seems to have been vacant for ages.

.red. wrote: »
    We went in one day about 1230ish and it was busy, we got a table as people got up and they came straight over to clean it. By time we were leaving their was 3/4 couples waiting on tables and a que almost out the door for takeaway. Really seems like a success story, very difficult market for them amongst monotonous large chains that are everywhere.

yep really happy for bytesize.

We need more of these!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

Looks like Hanleys are demolishing the seasonal shop. Anyone know what’s going on?

• Advertisement

Looks like Hanleys are demolishing the seasonal shop. Anyone know what’s going on?

Yep, they're replacing the old single storey unit with a brand new shiny one. The old pub part will remain incorporated and be refurbished.

In Ballincollig:

Sams Bar opening "Sams Burgers" next door shortly.

"Good For The Soul" coffee shop opening next to the credit union.

Work being done in the old off licence unit next to Boots.

Sitting in Costa watching deliveries going into Iceland for tomorrow's opening.

Apparently Quishes is taking over Downs SV and changing it to Centra. Hopefully Quishes will make big improvements!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Also in Ballincollig Eco's are said to be opening in the old Republic Bar and Grill location.

and Mark Vincent's hair salon is extending into the adjacent vacant unit

It's great too see such a buzz around the place.

I also heard that the post office is moving into the old credit union unit in the shopping centre. Makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

I was wondering at the time if all that snow was a good idea.
    Seems like thats solved too!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thejuggler

It's great too see such a buzz around the place.

I also heard that the post office is moving into the old credit union unit in the shopping centre. Makes sense.

The shopping centre needs all the help it can get - too many empty units for a long time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,262 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Called into Bitesize, yesterday. Nice food, snacky mostly, no menu board, that I saw.. Close on 50 in there at the time, really hopping. Great to see. Thought that location wouldn't do so well.
    Maybe stretching Cork suburbs a bit, but have been into The Found Out Cafe in Innishannon a few times, esp with Rohus shut for January, 'Gone Fishing' on the door. Really nice food, good menu. Highly recommend as a stop point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

Yep, they're replacing the old single storey unit with a brand new shiny one. The old pub part will remain incorporated and be refurbished.

So their ridiculous prices will be even more ridiculous now to pay for this!

xabi wrote: »
    So their ridiculous prices will be even more ridiculous now to pay for this!

Probably, but plenty of other places to go to - personal choice if you wish to pay their prices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,428 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Supermac's to open three new stores in Cork.The locations are Ballyvollane, Bandon Rd and Glanmire.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/supermacs-create-400-jobs-open-11908669

Advertisement