Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I used to work in Little Island, and for a city centre dweller, the train was great. People used bring their bikes on it too. Public transport is the solution, not more roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭titan18

igCorcaigh wrote:
    I used to work in Little Island, and for a city centre dweller, the train was great. People used bring their bikes on it too. Public transport is the solution, not more roads.

Yes, but for that, need some way of linking the station to Eastgate. That's not a nice walk into work in the rain, especially for the further offices. You'd need more trains too. Its already not served enough at peak time imo. You've a train at 4, 4.47, 5, 5.17, 5.47 and 6. If you're unlucky, it'll be a two carriage train that turns up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

mire wrote: »
    that does not address the particular congestion issues in little island. factoring in traffic growth in thew next 3 years, that project imo will do nothing to alleviate traffic in little island.

Really? What's so special about little island that a high capacity junction with numerous entry and exit points won't do? The other junction will also continue to be there as well as an upgrade of the junction down by the tunnel. Add in a train station and little island isn't doing to badly at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

DPD moving in to the old Showerlux building in Little Island

Something going on in the big site next to Jansen also. Rumours of data centre and other rumours of small units like a commercial park. Not sure what will be there but at the moment the roads are filthy as there are earth moving trucks in and out of the site for the last 6 months - which only adds to the traffic

As some posters have said above all this development in Little Island will only add to the currently crazy traffic in Little Island.
    Even with the proposed new layout in Dunkettle it is still going to be a nightmare in Little Island. I cant see where it will help traffic as all exits are heading towards a roundabout if you go west towards the tunnel and then 2 sets of traffic lights, a roundabout and then one more set of lights if you go East. It will just mean more queues to get on to the main roads
    It currently can take 20 minutes to travel about 1 km in the evening time going both east and west

At the moment there is a train that doesn't allow bikes on board (you can sneak one on if the train is quiet but if its full they wont allow one on board). Its a fair walk from the train down to the other end of the Island. Especially in the rain. There should be some kind of feeder bus service or even Coca-Cola bikes in the train station or near Harvey Norman complex etc.

They continue to grant permission for new business and new units but not a jot of thought is put in to the infrastructure.

Is there a thread for the Dunkettle interchange that I can rant in !!

They continue to grant permission for new business and new units but not a jot of thought is put in to the infrastructure.

The county council only care about allowing as much development as possible on the edge of the city so they can generate rates. Infrastructure to support that is a very distant thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Really? What's so special about little island that a high capacity junction with numerous entry and exit points won't do? The other junction will also continue to be there as well as an upgrade of the junction down by the tunnel. Add in a train station and little island isn't doing to badly at all.

I just don't think that the dunkettle Interchange project will actually make a difference to little island's Cork traffic congestion problem. The improvement of the existing little island interface near the interchange will surely help but Will not address the core traffic problem, And it would still be very heavily dependent on the very small number of links and junction Capacity is and will continue to be very constrained; It is after all the huge cul de sac. Cork County council I understand are in the process of preparing or Procuring a traffic and transportation study for little island; They realize that the interchange works at Dunkettle will not solve these problems.

The area needs more than just road upgrades however. This type of traffic and land use problem in most cities in Europe would be approached very differently. There would be for example consideration of the costs and benefits of realigning the rail line to integrate much more closely with the employment locationsand . this is entirely possible but would be resisted because it doesn't really accord with the roads obsessed Nature of transport policy. Gov't and local authorities would think nothing of spending hundreds of millions of Euros on major roads projects with dubious economic or transport benefits, But would probably overrule Something like a public transport intervention in little island because it would cost a significant amount of money.

mire wrote: »
    I just don't think that the dunkettle Interchange project will actually make a difference to little island's Cork traffic congestion problem.

There's going to be a brand new high capacity junction and interchange (in orange). The existing junction will also continue to exist. How you think that will make zero difference is beyond me.

file.php?id=5780&mode=view

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

There's going to be a brand new high capacity junction and interchange (in orange). The existing junction will also continue to exist. How you think that will make zero difference is beyond me.

Exiting from Little Island westbound Still going to be queues there with 2 roundabouts. Not as bad as current queues going west to the tunnel but with additional traffic it will still be bad. It needs to be a free flow junction with no roundabout.

As for going east there are no improvements and it's only getting worse. If you leave work between 4.30 an 6pm then it takes at least 20 mins to get off the island going eastbound. Some days I simply go shopping in The Range to wait until traffic eases.
    People also currently trying all sorts of shortcuts through Harvey Norman carpark. It's mental every day

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭titan18

How does that help getting out of Eastgate and back into the city? Too many lines and colours there, but that's one of the biggest issues now. You can be a good 30 minutes in traffic some days if you want to get out of Eastgate between 4.30 and 5.30. More employees being added and when they're finally doing the Dunkettle interchange, traffic will just get worse.

What is ideally needed before this starts is an off ramp from in between Eli Lilly and Pfizer's buildings on to the N25, or if no roads can be done, then some form of public transport (either organised by companies within Little Island or Cork County/City Council) from the train station to Eastgate, and with Irish Rail putting in more train services. Some form of shuttle bus connecting some of the main concentration of employees in Little Island and the train station would help a lot. You'd need to figure out how to get that bus through traffic of course, but anyway to encourage less car usage down there would be welcome

titan18 wrote: »
    How does that help getting out of Eastgate and back into the city?

Take a closer look. There's a direct link from it straight onto the N25 westbound towards the city.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Let’s try to keep on topic here lads please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Planning permission lodged for a new Rum distillery and extension to the Rising Sons Microbrewery in the Bodega:

Cork city centre's first distillery in almost a century is to open in The Bodega

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Roosters has finally opened in Blackpool!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Harika

Roosters has finally opened in Blackpool!

Happy for them, just in time for the Christmas shopping

Harika wrote: »
    Happy for them, just in time for the Christmas shopping

Out the door when I walked passed a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭ofcork

Where in blackpool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

ofcork wrote: »
    Where in blackpool?

Accuse from Aldi.

Where rocken Joe's Eddie rockets was

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭ofcork

In the retail park so place is turning into a nightmare for parking.

snotboogie wrote: »
    Planning permission lodged for a new Rum distillery and extension to the Rising Sons Microbrewery in the Bodega:

Cork city centre's first distillery in almost a century is to open in The Bodega

If it's anything like his beers then I'll give it a skip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    If it's anything like his beers then I'll give it a skip.

His bears are not that bad and better tasting then the Fran well stuff. There ipa is hands down better then the Fran wells one.

I just wish more places in town has the kinsale one on draft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

His bears are not that bad and better tasting then the Fran well stuff. There ipa is hands down better then the Fran wells one.

I just wish more places in town has the kinsale one on draft

Me Daza was the first pint of anything I couldn't finish. Yuck.

Star Anise is to close. Last day of business on new years day.

Awful shock such a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

So sad, such a lovely restaurant. I wonder why.

Diziet wrote: »
    So sad, such a lovely restaurant. I wonder why.

They used to do very good falafel and middle Eastern inspired dishes. I guess the market now is driven by burgers or noodles for a tenner.

I'm sure some other decent mid range houses will turn up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

€1bn Cork docklands project to move forward in 2018

So do people think we'll see the Event Centre or the 40-story building first :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭snotboogie

opus wrote: »
    €1bn Cork docklands project to move forward in 2018

So do people think we'll see the Event Centre or the 40-story building first :pac:
    The 40 storey is actually separate from the linked project and is due to go to planning before it, in Q1 2018. If everything went to plan with it, I think we could see work on the site start in early 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Prior to publication, Cork City Council is due to conduct a number of essential studies in the area to inform the final versions of the plans. This includes a traffic study, incorporating elements facilitating a ‘modal shift’ from car to non-car transport, including the likes of rapid transit bus corridors or, potentially, light rail, and an environmental impact study on the wider harbour, including flora and fauna.

Am I right to assume the studies will be published or just the final report which refers to these sub-reports on Traffic for example. I'd like to read the findings on the traffic/modal shift and how they look to achieve this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The off licence in the Abbot's Ale House, Devonshire Street has closed and a bar opened in its place. Upstairs only open at weekends now, afaik.
    10 rotating beer taps.
    Nice decor, too.

Advertisement