Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

OP - you nailed it. Its the rotation of the earth that then influences the jet streams which provide the prevailing westerly tailwinds (in this part of the world at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

5 hours from BOS to DUB isn't quick, my best is 4 hours 31 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

basill wrote: »
    OP - you nailed it. Its the rotation of the earth that then influences the jet streams which provide the prevailing westerly tailwinds (in this part of the world at least).

Yup - although many people think the rotation of the earth means the plane has less distance to travel as the earth is spinning beneath it (which would actually make east-to-west far faster than west-to-east.)

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

Sure tis all downhill on the way home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Hi,

I have a flight to Copenhagen this week, with a layover in Gatwick. The two flights are with two different airlines.

Will I have to exit arrivals and go back through security again or will I be able to continue onto the departures without doing this?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Mokuba wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a flight to Copenhagen this week, with a layover in Gatwick. The two flights are with two different airlines.

Will I have to exit arrivals and go back through security again or will I be able to continue onto the departures without doing this?

Thanks.

Did you book this tickit as one?

Is it a codeshare flight?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Did you book this tickit as one?

Is it a codeshare flight?.

No, separate tickets.

Which I would normally assume means you go out and go through security again, however considering I am an Irish passenger going into a UK airport, I was curious to know if that was relevant and maybe I could go straight through.

This happened to me in Heathrow but mine was the one tickit but the codeshare airline could not check me in all thr way to cork so I had to leave Heathrow term 3 and walk to term 2 and do all the scanning and everything again.

So on less you are on a code share flight you would have to leave the airport and go back in again

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

You would have to clear immigration and security again even if it was codeshare and the same terminal, your bag however could be checked all the way thru if you had one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Thanks very much for the explanations. As a side note, I could never be a flight attendant, I wouldn't have the patience for it. The dinner options came along and this old guy a few rows up from me was acting like the plane was a restaurant. Its simple - pasta or beef! When asked what he wanted, he stared at her like she had two heads. "What are my options?" "Pasta or Beef sir".
    "Oh...when are you serving this?"... "Now sir we are serving dinner, which would you like?".."Whats on the pasta?" "Nothing sir, its pasta and a salad and bread and a cake on the side" He eyes were twitching at this stage!

I would have hopped the thing off his head. God love her for her patience. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

5 hours from BOS to DUB isn't quick, my best is 4 hours 31 minutes

5hrs from Boston to Dublin at M.81 with an average wind component of plus 100 knots up the chuff. That’s quick.

04hrs 31mins? What are your flying ? A gulfstream at M.95 or your desktop ?

I smell porkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

duskyjoe wrote: »
    5hrs from Boston to Dublin at M.81 with an average wind component of plus 100 knots up the chuff. That’s quick.

I smell porkies.

Probably true. Record is 5:13 from JFK to LHR, and JFK to BOS is around 20-30 minutes additional (200nm). London another extra 40 mins (300nm)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/norwegian-breaks-transatlantic-speed-record/

The fastest flight time for EI136 BOS-DUB in the last 365 days in FR24 is 4:52 mins

08 Nov 2018 Boston (BOS) Dublin (DUB) A333 (EI-EAV) 4:52 23:20 23:49 05:15
    Landed 04:41

787 typical cruise M0.85 which is high too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

sdanseo wrote: »
    Record is 5:13 from JFK to LHR

2h 52m 59s actually ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

duskyjoe wrote: »

I smell porkies.

Horrible evening with heavy winds and snow (winds at Dublin exceeded the limits for the cargo doors earlier in the day). We left 3 hours late out of BOS and it piled across. I certainly recall 150+ knots tailwinds at times.

A330 cruises at 0.82?

We also landed 16 without delay so avoided the need for extra track miles to make an approach to 28.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

basill wrote: »

How does the rotation of the earth influence the jet streams? I'm genuinely interested in knowing. I would have thought temperature/pressure gradients are the sole cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

bfa1509 wrote: »
    How does the rotation of the earth influence the jet streams? I'm genuinely interested in knowing. I would have thought temperature/pressure gradients are the sole cause.

Coriolis effect

• Registered Users Posts: 10,186 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Mokuba wrote: »
    No, separate tickets.

Which I would normally assume means you go out and go through security again, however considering I am an Irish passenger going into a UK airport, I was curious to know if that was relevant and maybe I could go straight through.

The more pertinent aspect is whether you have checked luggage? If you do, the two airlines may have an inter line agreement to provide that irrespective of separate tickets you can check through. Note that this is becoming more restrictive. If your baggage is not checked through from Dublin then you would need to retrieve it from baggage reclaim, go through customs and find a suitable check in desk.

If you are hand baggage only, will you have both boarding passes before you leave Dublin, whether from online check in/print out/mobile boarding pass. If you do then you will generally be able to use Flight Connections. Irrespective you will have to go through a security check at Gatwick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

The having to clear immigration and recheck in is a budget airline only thing.

If you have the onward boarding pass you can simply use flight connections regardless of who they are or who you flown in with.

The having to clear immigration and recheck in is a budget airline only thing.

If you have the onward boarding pass you can simply use flight connections regardless of who they are or who you flown in with.

Not true anymore. For example, Oneworld airlines will generally not interline bags on separate tickets. If you flew DUB-LHR on BA to get on a separate AA ticket to the US or CX to HKG or QF to SYD etc etc, you will have to collect your bags at T5 and recheck in at the relevant terminal.

• Advertisement

I was assuming no baggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

You have to clear immigration and do internal security again regardless, you don't have to go back groundside, when coming in from the US or Schengen and heading to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The temperature differences between the hot Equator and the cold Poles produces North <-> South air and water currents convecting the heat to the cold. The Coriolis Effect determines the nature of the directions the convections take. Add in a lot of other variables and we get the variations in rotations and pressures of systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭noubliezjamais

Hey, might be going to London for a day to renew a non-Irish passport, just wondering if Aer Lingus/Ryanair serve free alcohol?

I know when i went to LAX with Ethiopian Airlines it was free, but I'm not sure this time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Hey, might be going to London for a day to renew a non-Irish passport, just wondering if Aer Lingus/Ryanair serve free alcohol?

I know when i went to LAX with Ethiopian Airlines it was free, but I'm not sure this time.

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

Ryanair is a low-budget airline, they won't give away freebies for anything, check-in, seating, drink or food. Aer Lingus has recently become more accessible/budget-y making anything they can offer payable too. You'll be able to get booze, but you'll have to pay for it, unless you're in business/1st class I presume (on AL).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It's been a long time since alcohol has been free on almost any short-haul flight in Europe.

In which case it’s really not a budget airline thing. Neither Ryanair nor EasyJet at Gatwick require you to check in at the airport. If you have your boarding pass when you step off the incoming plane, no reason for OP, if HBO, not to use flight connections. Budget airlines are generally the ones which least want to subject passengers to additional processes.

I believe places like Stansted and Luton have no facilities for airside transfers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭BigMoose

JCX BXC wrote: »
    It's been a long time since alcohol has been free on almost any short-haul flight in Europe.

With the exception of Lufthansa. Was recently on a DUB-FRA flight (then on to somewhere else) and was pleasantly surprised when they came round offering me beer and didn't want payment! The cabin crew were jokingly offended that I thought you'd have to pay for it :D

As for EI, you have to pay for booze on transatlantic too unless in business.

Advertisement