Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

JCX BXC wrote: »
    It's been a long time since alcohol has been free on almost any short-haul flight in Europe.

As above - Lufthansa and their group member SWISS still offer free food and drink so that statement is a tad sweeping given the extent of their networks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

BigMoose wrote: »
    With the exception of Lufthansa. Was recently on a DUB-FRA flight (then on to somewhere else) and was pleasantly surprised when they came round offering me beer and didn't want payment! The cabin crew were jokingly offended that I thought you'd have to pay for it :D

As for EI, you have to pay for booze on transatlantic too unless in business.

KLM and various other legacy airlines TAP are another off the top of my head, that still offer free drink on European flights.

And I believe EI have reversed their policy of charging for booze on transatlantics and offer free wine and beer in economy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Locker10a wrote: »
    And I believe EI have reversed their policy of charging for booze on transatlantics and offer free wine and beer in economy

Would be delighted if that were true as I do DUB-SFO for work. Last time I flew it late April you still had to pay...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

BigMoose wrote: »
    Would be delighted if that were true as I do DUB-SFO for work. Last time I flew it late April you still had to pay...

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/aer-lingus-looks-to-increase-transatlantic-seats-by-two-thirds-1.3683960
    Mr Kavanagh also said the airline was introducing a new brand identity and new uniforms. It would also “dramatically increase” marketing spend in North America, and introduce a free social media wifi package and complimentary alcohol for all guests across the North Atlantic.

Must not have actually launched this yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭noubliezjamais

KLM and various other legacy airlines TAP are another off the top of my head, that still offer free drink on European flights.

So If I book KLM to London from here, I can get free beer, wine, and spirits?

sign me up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Really? I was under the impression it was soft drinks only. I stand corrected.

So If I book KLM to London from here, I can get free beer, wine, and spirits?

sign me up ;)

Yes you’ll get free beer and wine in economy, but you’ll have to go to London via Amsterdam lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

Yes you’ll get free beer and wine in economy, but you’ll have to go to London via Amsterdam lol

Some people will do anything for a free drink

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Can anyone advise if Aer Lingus allow you check-in online and select seats and then collect boarding passes when dropping in your check-in bag?

Parents are travelling soon and I'm wondering if I can do the check-ins etc through my phone and if they can still pick up boarding passes in the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭VG31

nc6000 wrote: »
    Can anyone advise if Aer Lingus allow you check-in online and select seats and then collect boarding passes when dropping in your check-in bag?

Yes, at the desk or self service kiosk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

I have a Ryanair booking with the basic bag option - the even smaller one, i dont want to check in any luggage but can I upgrade to a proper sized carry on bag ?
    Or do I need to add a check in bag ?

Pero_Bueno wrote: »
    I have a Ryanair booking with the basic bag option - the even smaller one, i dont want to check in any luggage but can I upgrade to a proper sized carry on bag ?
    Or do I need to add a check in bag ?

You can add priority boarding if you want to bring a bag into the cabin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

You can add priority boarding if you want to bring a bag into the cabin
    If you are travelling with FR as a Non-Priorty Passenger, you bring your Cabin Bag as you normally would to the Boarding Gate, after you go through Airport Security.
    Depending on the Airport, in DUB for instance your bag is taken from you just after the Boarding Gate.
    In AGP Malaga, you bring it right up to the door of the Aircraft and is then taken from you by staff.
    In Belfast you leave it on the tarmac beside the aircraft.

In all places no Check-in for your standard size Cabin Bag is requires, as you have done this when you Check-in on line.

If you go Priority you just bring your standard size Cabin Bag on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    If you are travelling with FR as a Non-Priorty Passenger, you bring your Cabin Bag as you normally would to the Boarding Gate, after you go through Airport Security.
    Depending on the Airport, in DUB for instance your bag is taken from you just after the Boarding Gate.
    In AGP Malaga, you bring it right up to the door of the Aircraft and is then taken from you by staff.
    In Belfast you leave it on the tarmac beside the aircraft.

In all places no Check-in for your standard size Cabin Bag is requires, as you have done this when you Check-in on line.

If you go Priority you just bring your standard size Cabin Bag on board.

Are you sure that is still the case? My understanding is if you get the basic fare you only get an under the seat type bag and not a full size carry on. You can opt for priority boarding for full size carry on and personal item. Alternatively you can pay ~€12 to check in full size carry on bag but this is done at the check in desks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭VG31

Are you sure that is still the case? My understanding is if you get the basic fare you only get an under the seat type bag and not a full size carry on. You can opt for priority boarding for full size carry on and personal item. Alternatively you can pay ~€12 to check in full size carry on bag but this is done at the check in desks.

You are correct, the rules have changed since. You cannot take a standard size cabin bag with you for free at all. Only a bag which will fit under the seat is included.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

Does anybody know if there is a change of flight crew (pilots) on this 11 hour flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Three flight crew, rotating breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

While acknowledging the response of poster sdanseo and at the risk of backseat modding ....

that is really a question for the Aviation & Aircraft forum.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

coylemj wrote: »
    that is really a question for the Aviation & Aircraft forum.

Never realised that we had one! :)

Thread moved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭kindalen

Do they have a rest area below the cockpit via ladder? Is it two seats and two bunks?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

kindalen wrote: »
    Do they have a rest area below the cockpit via ladder? Is it two seats and two bunks?

Business seat 7A, with a curtain pulled around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Davy wrote: »
    Business seat 7A, with a curtain pulled around it.

Aircraft dependent, some have dedicated FCRC's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Question here, a few months ago I took advantage of one of Aer Lingus's sales to book a flight for another person to visit Ireland. Anyway fast forward several months later and that relationship ended acrimoniously. I have received intel that said person is now intending to travel on that same booking next week to Ireland. Do I as the person who paid the ticket have any right to get the booking cancelled or nullified? The itinerary is in my email and I paid it with my Credit Card, ideally I would like to have it cancelled, not worried about the refund despite what it cost. The same flight is now sold-out and EI could sell that seat at almost double what I paid for it at the point of booking, Ideally I could call them up and cancel the reservation, not worried about refunds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

theguzman wrote: »
    Question here, a few months ago I took advantage of one of Aer Lingus's sales to book a flight for another person to visit Ireland. Anyway fast forward several months later and that relationship ended acrimoniously. I have received intel that said person is now intending to travel on that same booking next week to Ireland. Do I as the person who paid the ticket have any right to get the booking cancelled or nullified? The itinerary is in my email and I paid it with my Credit Card, ideally I would like to have it cancelled, not worried about the refund despite what it cost. The same flight is now sold-out and EI could sell that seat at almost double what I paid for it at the point of booking, Ideally I could call them up and cancel the reservation, not worried about refunds.

Sounds like you'd be better off posting in Personal Issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,034 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Go online with the reservation number and cancel it;

smurfjed wrote: »
    Go online with the reservation number and cancel it;
    Sounds like you'd be better off posting in Personal Issues.

Cheers gentlemen, it looks like I may even be entitled to get some of the taxes and charges back. I wish I could be at the airport checkin desk when she goes there and finds no flight for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

theguzman wrote: »
    Cheers gentlemen, it looks like I may even be entitled to get some of the taxes and charges back. I wish I could be at the airport checkin desk when she goes there and finds no flight for her.

You should get some of the money back. She'll probably find out it's cancelled though if she tries to check in online so the revenge will be a little less sweet!

• Advertisement

You should get some of the money back. She'll probably find out it's cancelled though if she tries to check in online so the revenge will be a little less sweet!

Once it ruins her travel plans I'm all good.

Advertisement