Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Plus one, whats happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Just got this. Back on within about 5 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Boards.ie: Ronan

Sorry, I've been restarting some services on our loadbalancers a lot in the past few minutes - sometimes they can take a second to come back up - hence ye getting the odd cloudflare error.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Error 521 Ray ID: 2e24cf92dbb92963 • 2016-09-14 15:18:19 UTC
    Web server is down

• Registered Users Posts: 42,084 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

It's one mess after another after another, sort it out guys!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Error 522...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Error 521 Ray ID: 2e24cf92dbb92963 • 2016-09-14 15:18:19 UTC
    Web server is down

unluckiest lad to ever log in to the site.

If you thought that was unlucky:

CloudFlare Ray ID: 2e2a0734b287298d • Your IP: 31.187.xx.xx (exact IP address removed)

You have been blocked, please contact the website administrator for further information.

Only blocked on desktop (apparently)- mobile works perfectly fine (just put up a post in work & jobs on graduate recruitment in the civil service)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Tablet log in fine.

Mobile log in....not so fine.

Error 504
    Ray ID: 2e2e1055f7ea2987

Gateway time out

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Pages were taking 30-40 seconds to load on touch just there. Seems to have resolved now...

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

When loading links from Google I get

Error 504 Ray ID: 2e2f7df2fc932981 • 2016-09-15 22:25:04 UTC
    Gateway time-out

• Registered Users Posts: 45,958 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This place is ****ed. I'm using my sons phone to post here as I cant log in
    from the desktop . 3 hours of trying and getting nothing but errors. What is it now.... a year since this thread started so after a year i see no improvement but hey Adverts.ie is in full swing which just proves where the money, time and effort is being invested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

muffler wrote: »
    This place is ****ed. I'm using my sons phone to post here as I cant log in
    from the desktop . 3 hours of trying and getting nothing but errors. What is it now.... a year since this thread started so after a year i see no improvement but hey Adverts.ie is in full swing which just proves where the money, time and effort is being invested

And Daft, Donedeal, TheJournal always function 100%.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

And Daft, Donedeal, TheJournal always function 100%.

I don't use Donedeal but believe me they also have issues - different ones to what is posted here but they exist.

The Journal is often borked.

Adverts is probably the most streamlined and robust both in functionality and how it's administered due to good design and forethought. (yay, I helped out there!!)

Boards is still the grand daddy of them all, even if its broken, my loyalty will remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

If huge changes dont happen in the next 12 months both from a dev point of view and an operations point of view I think it will be curtains for boards, and it pains me to say that :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

They need to rebuild from the ground up.

They need to scrap the responsive site. It's a write off. Scrap the apps. There buggy horrible to use and just don't work.

1. The CEO needs a boards account, and needs to take on davs old role and interact with us.
    2. Rebuild/Rejig the development and design teams.
    3. Build the site from the ground up, without making it look over designed.
    4. They need to hire someone to handle the security side of things. All the outages and DDOS attacks over the last few years is ridiculous.
    5. Don't release buggy products.
    6. Listen to users. The responsive site was attempted to be pushed onto us. The comments complaining about it, went being taken into account.
    7. Less 'modding' you need to allow some discussions to go off topic, (which they do as people bring different points into the conversation) warning users to stay on topic, does piss us off.
    8. Distilled media or distilled sch, owns talkto.ie. If your going to link the talkto menu to that site, do it and remove talkto from boards enirly.
    9. Convert more users into active users. I was reading davs AMA from a few years ago recently and only 10% of the user base are active users. He also mentioned last year that active users and registrations are down. From reading reddit the modding is a big issue people leave, or rarely use the site. Maybe hire a head of analytics to help in this regard.
    10.Hire me :)

They need to rebuild from the ground up.

They need to scrap the responsive site. It's a write off. Scrap the apps. There buggy horrible to use and just don't work.

1. The CEO needs a boards account, and needs to take on davs old role and interact with us.
    2. Rebuild/Rejig the development and design teams.
    3. Build the site from the ground up, without making it look over designed.
    4. They need to hire someone to handle the security side of things. All the outages and DDOS attacks over the last few years is ridiculous.
    5. Don't release buggy products.
    6. Listen to users. The responsive site was attempted to be pushed onto us. The comments complaining about it, went being taken into account.
    7. Less 'modding' you need to allow some discussions to go off topic, (which they do as people bring different points into the conversation) warning users to stay on topic, does piss us off.
    8. Distilled media or distilled sch, owns talkto.ie. If your going to link the talkto menu to that site, do it and remove talkto from boards enirly.
    9. Convert more users into active users. I was reading davs AMA from a few years ago recently and only 10% of the user base are active users. He also mentioned last year that active users and registrations are down. From reading reddit the modding is a big issue people leave, or rarely use the site. Maybe hire a head of analytics to help in this regard.
    10.Hire me :)
    You must be new here.

You pretty much bullet pointed 90% of the big feedback thread they all ignored.

ddd25bdcc9b156390f5fdd78d98aec49528bd4996a0d9f71005a3c06d8d8ab93.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Problems logging into in here too. Touch site on windows phone fine.

Errors on Android Tablet since last night.

Error 504.

My browser and CloudFlare working. Stating error with host. Gateway timeout error.

Error 504

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Error 504

same here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

I can't log in to Boards on my desktop this morning - Error 504
    Ray ID 2e329ae7ccc22987
    Gateway time-out

Legacy site
    Firefox 47.0.1

No issues accessing the legacy site on iOS

There is some issue or other with accessing the site every single day lately guys ...

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Haven't been able to log in on my iPad since Wednesday. What's today's excuse? Absolute joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Lumi wrote: »
    I can't log in to Boards on my desktop this morning - Error 504
    Ray ID 2e329ae7ccc22987
    Gateway time-out

Legacy site
    Firefox 47.0.1

No issues accessing the legacy site on iOS

There is some issue or other with accessing the site every single day lately guys ...

Same here, this has happened quit a few times over the last week ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I can not login at all on laptops or PCs keep getting "error 504 ray Id: 2e344de16d70295d" it says browser working and cloud flare working but host error:'(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,898 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Couldn't log in all morning. A full year this has been going on, and no that should gives a fúck. The users here are being taken for mugs.

Trying to post a PDF, generated here, by myself- and getting Cloudflare messages that I am blocked from posting attachments- to contact the website administrator for further details....... I seem to be specifically blocked from posting PDFs- other attachments seem fine?

Modutils now loading in an extreme cut-off fashion- no graphics, links etc.
    Screenshot attached. Rest of site loading normally......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Cloudfare errors for me all morning, grand on touch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,958 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hah! I managed to get logged in from the desktop PC which wasnt the case a couple of hours ago. Its a joke at this stage given the fact that its just an ongoing problem with issue after issue and no end in sight and not as much as a cheep from the shareholders of this establishment as to how they intend to progress matters.

I think this is the fist time in my 14 years here that I have become completely disillusioned withe whole setup. The same thing happened on Adverts.ie a few years ago where it was a community based and and community driven site but then it became commercial which was enough for me to pack in my role as a mod there at the time.

I see the same path being taken here where the site is being driven down the financial road but with a couple of flat wheels which may or may not be repaired. Helping and interacting with the community here is great but I for one am not going to place myself in a position where I see money/advertising/talk to forums/verified reps being more important than having an auld bit of a chat about something or other or looking for a bit of advice or whatever turns people on.

/ rant over

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement