Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Steak Thread SEE OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Looks great, where did they come from?

Interesting journey, farmed in Scotland by my mate, shipped from London from his brothers website who's in Dublin but operates the business out of London.
    Took about a week from ordering that was probably because it was me they were in no rush, picked up in London Wednesday and delivered to me Thursday.
    https://www.jackoshea.com/

Just hit room temperature and still half a bottle of Malbec left...it's a about to get Smokey : )

Cooking instructions for such a cut..

Out of fridge until at room temp then put some oil salt and pepper to season before cooking heavy pan molten hot no oil 2 mins on each side to sear then pop into pre heated oven at 220 for 10/12 mins then take out and let rest for 10 mins on wooden board then slice across and serve with Malbec and chips!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Sounds great drunkmonkey, I bet they were delicious. If you like premium steaks definitely check out Peter Hannon Meats in Co.Down, he supplies steaks to a lot of the top restaurants in London and Dublin https://www.themeatmerchant.com/ He built his own ageing chamber made from Himilayan pink salt bricks, if you ask in the butchers and they have time they'll let you take a look at it.

Sadly no national delivery is service available as yet but the beef is that good its definitely worth a trip up north to stock up.

They were beautiful great flavor, expensive but a nice treat. Steak cut chips from lidl for €1.50 were a nice side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Sounds great drunkmonkey, I bet they were delicious. If you like premium steaks definitely check out Peter Hannon Meats in Co.Down, he supplies steaks to a lot of the top restaurants in London and Dublin https://www.themeatmerchant.com/ He built his own ageing chamber made from Himilayan pink salt bricks, if you ask in the butchers and they have time they'll let you take a look at it.

Sadly no national delivery is service available as yet but the beef is that good its definitely worth a trip up north to stock up.

You can buy his beef here

https://www.jameswhelanbutchers.com/products.php?cat=Salt+Aged+Beef

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,835 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

stimpson wrote: »
    The Aldi Dry aged (as opposed to the "28 day aged") are the ones. I think they are in the gold and black packet.

Next are the Tesco Specially Selected, which have improved massively over the past year.

I don’t think I’ve ever had nice steak from Tesco. In fairness it was so bad I just stopped buying meat there altogether many years ago.

I get the pack of ribeyes for a tenner in dunnes. They are savage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Cowboy and Tomahawk steaks in Lidl from the 30th.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Cowboys on for 17.47 a kilo, not quite the bargain that Supervalue were doing them for at 11.50 a kilo. Will still get one though as they are pretty tasty. Last time I got one from Supervalue the butcher had included a sprig of fresh thyme in the packaging which was a nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

Just hit room temperature and still half a bottle of Malbec left...it's a about to get Smokey : )

Cooking instructions for such a cut..

Out of fridge until at room temp then put some oil salt and pepper to season before cooking heavy pan molten hot no oil 2 mins on each side to sear then pop into pre heated oven at 220 for 10/12 mins then take out and let rest for 10 mins on wooden board then slice across and serve with Malbec and chips!

I have told that doing it the other way around is much better - that is, oven first and then the pan. I have tried it this way for reverse sear on the Weber BBQ, but not yet in the oven/hob combo. Also - if you put a generous helping of salt and keep it in the fridge overnight, that also makes it real tasty
    Note: This is for thicker cut steaks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,835 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Debub wrote: »
    I have told that doing it the other way around is much better - that is, oven first and then the pan. I have tried it this way for reverse sear on the Weber BBQ, but not yet in the oven/hob combo. Also - if you put a generous helping of salt and keep it in the fridge overnight, that also makes it real tasty

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

A lot of unnecessary complications on here.

Season the beef just before you cook it. Cook it on a frying pan, turning once. Rest for a few minutes. Eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

What's the best garnish for a steak?

Answer: A fried egg.

An absolute must for any steak imho. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

The Nal wrote: »

Season the beef just before you cook it. Cook it on a frying pan, turning once. Rest for a few minutes. Eat.

Yea - I know, you are right, but its fun to test n try various things suggested. And sometimes they do make the end result a lot better - whenever you do have the time and leisure to make it complicated :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭shnaek

What's the best garnish for a steak?

Answer: A fried egg.

An absolute must for any steak imho. :)

https://youtu.be/CTNhCzmUjlw

Yea - I know, you are right, but its fun to test n try various things suggested. And sometimes they do make the end result a lot better - whenever you do have the time and leisure to make it complicated :-)

Your dealing with already aged beef, maybe lashings of sea salt for an hour before cooking while coming to room temperature, anything else would be overkill.

I've used both techniques for thick steaks and for some reason the reverse sear produces the best results, I havent a clue why. The way I do it now is to preheat the oven to 135c then the steak goes into the oven. I cant give a time as I use a temperature probe into the middle of the steak and the oven is then programed to get it to 60c internal which is medium rare. The oven bleeps when it hits 60c internal which is great because it makes cooking it 100% foolproof.

Then it is rested for 10 minutes in tin foil and finally the sear in a screaming hot pan about 90 seconds on each side. It can be served straight away as its already rested. The reverse sear technique gives it a beautiful crust all over but perfectly medium rare inside, it is exactly what you would get in a top quality steakhouse restaurant. Here s pic of a steak I reverse seared a while ago, the crust was beautifully uniform and there was great flavour in it from the malliard reaction. I could have eaten an entire plate of the crust on its own
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113433098&postcount=771

I saw a Youtube video last week and the chef experimented with salt and 3 steaks. One was salted a minute before cooking, one an hour before and one 24 hours before. He then cooked all three simultaneously and his conclusion was the one salted an hour before cooking was the best of the three (most tender) with the 24 hour one having actually degraded, not recommended at all. I havent tried doing it an hour before but will give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I have tried them all including Pan, Grill, Sous Vide but having recently picked up Weber BBQ, this definitely beats the lot.

Reverse sear over super hot coals (I have a sear grate which helps), move to indirect heat, lid on, then stick in the temp probe (remember this is for 750-1kg steaks) and wait until it gets to 130f. Lashings of maldron salt, foil on and rest for 5-10 minutes.

Supervalue steak sale is back

30th July to 5th August
    33% off sirloin, fillet and striploin

6th to 12th August
    Cowboy steaks 33% off, 11.72/kg
    Also 33% of round roast and lamb loin chops for the same week too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Can we keep this thread to bargain alerts post please.

As much as the cooking information is valuable, the food & cooking forum is more suitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

So anyone go for the Lidl tomahawks? What's the verdict? Worth the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tmabr

Testament1 wrote: »
    So anyone go for the Lidl tomahawks? What's the verdict? Worth the money?

Sold out ☹️ Cowboys gone also

• Registered Users Posts: 27,993 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Not going to compete with the cowboys and the tomahawks, but in Tesco the 2 striploin steaks for €6 are good value.
    Maybe there's better cuts going into the supermarkets or something. Had good marbling, great texture.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Got one today.
    Cooked to medium as per instruction, pan sear followed by oven. One of the toughest steaks I've eaten in a long time.

I might get one again, but would be cooking it differently

• Registered Users Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

The Nal wrote: »

For me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Borzoi wrote: »
    Got one today.
    Cooked to medium as per instruction, pan sear followed by oven. One of the toughest steaks I've eaten in a long time.

How would compare it to a T-bone ,
    I never saw the point of T-bone steaks , all the bits I'd normally trim off a good sirloin are left on , and fillet even more so ...
    Rib eye is a recent discovery for me , and I've cooked it medium as suggested ,. And loved it ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Borzoi wrote: »
    Got one today.

I got one as well and cooked it on Friday night on the BBQ. A meat thermometer is vital for cooking a big chunk of meat like that because ovens will always vary so it's easy to over or under cook it.
    Seared it at the end on the BBQ grill after cooking it with indirect heat for about 40mins and it was a very nice medium rare.
    All I'll say is get another one and try it again. They're well worth it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Soarer

Any good deals around at the minute, particularly a good, fatty Rib-Eye?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Soarer wrote: »

I got 2 very nice 28 day aged striploins in Tesco last night for 6 quid.

Made a Vietnamese steak, mango and herb salad type thing with them. They had ribeyes aswell, not sure on price but they were very marbled looking, too much for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Soarer wrote: »

SuperValu had 25% off T-Bone when I was there yesterday. Not sure when that started /ends.

Edit / Looks like that's over. Fillet on special until September 9th. Although I'm guessing that fillet isn't your thing if you like ribeye (same here).

Advertisement