Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Steak Thread SEE OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Apologies for the ask but what qualities have the cowboy, t bone strip loin and sirloin over each other.

I’m familiar with the last two. Have gone off rib eye lately as it’s just far too grissly esp from SV but may have been unlucky there.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,931 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

FLOOPER wrote: »
    Apologies for the ask but what qualities have the cowboy, t bone strip loin and sirloin over each other.
    I’m familiar with the last two. Have gone off rib eye lately as it’s just far too grissly esp from SV but may have been unlucky there.

Cowboy is basically ribeye on the bone.
    Sorry to hear that you have had bad experience... my most recent cowboy from Supervalu D3 was fantastic.

I would be a fan of striploin steaks also but sirloin prefer more as a joint in slow cooker or airfryer.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

Dunnes Stores' steaks quality has deteriorated very much lately. Look at this Sirloin wedge!!

8gj0UN0l.jpg ...... 3R8QV8Yl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

Yeah sometimes they have the nice side of the steak facing upwards and then you open it an there is a huge cut of fat hidden underneath it all.
    Got burned a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 45,823 ✭✭✭✭muffler

carq wrote: »
    Got burned a few times
    The steak? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That pic is making me nauseous.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

There would be no cooking that properly in a frying pan. Laughable that it passed someone on a production line and someone stocking the fridges

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭Invincible

We were getting the Deluxe Hereford Sirloin 30 day aged in Lidl up until lately, it was tender and great flavour to it.
    Since then they seem to have replaced this steak with Castlerahan Sirloin, same size 454gm.
    It didn't look as nice in the packet as the Hereford and tasted accordingly.
    Got it once, to say it's tasteless tough meat wouldn't be an understatement, yet it's same price €6.99.
    Have to get on to customer service and let them know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

carq wrote: »
    Yeah sometimes they have the nice side of the steak facing upwards and then you open it an there is a huge cut of fat hidden underneath it all.
    Got burned a few times

Funny how they never ever put the fatty side up.
    Lidl use transparent plastic trays now.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Stupify

Does anyone still see the flat iron steaks when they go to their local lidl. I remember I got one last year, slow cooked it on the bbq and it was lovely, but I haven't seen any in the store since then.

• Advertisement

Flat iron steaks are delicious but Lidl only seems to do them about 3 or 4 times a year, you just got to keep an eye on their weekly meat specials to know when theyre in stock.

Alternatively any good butcher will cut you some, they might need a couple of days notice but they would be able to get it.

2 Medallion Steaks for €2 in the Lidl app, are they nice does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Thargor wrote: »

I will be cutting them up and making a beef stirfry.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I’ve have cooked them in the air fryer 8 minutes on 180* and they are perfectly fine, for €2 you can’t go wrong tbh and I will be picking up 2 packs

Wow, cooking steak in an air fryer. No words really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭.red.

Seve OB wrote: »
    Wow, cooking steak in an air fryer. No words really.

Air fryers are the new iPhone, you gotta squeeze in that you own one anyway you can.

The microwave is handy for heating my porridge, nah mate, 6 minutes in the airfryer, perfect 😂

I don't buy anything except sirloin or rib eye anymore
    Sirloin gets part frozen for an hour, just to firm it up, hen sliced thinly for stroganoff. Fry for about 1 minute and into the sauce.
    Rib eye gets a quick flash on the pan, both sides, then 2 mins on medium in the grill, both sides again and into foil for 3/4 mins. Mmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

OmegaGene wrote: »
    dont knock it till you have tried it

Ehhhhh no thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Waiting on 2 x 500g Cote de Boeuf I ordered last week to arrive, can't wait to stick them in the air fryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

Picked up a pack aswell,
    Good value
    Steak sandwich today

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

Waiting on 2 x 500g Cote de Boeuf I ordered last week to arrive, can't wait to stick them in the air fryer.

Put the f8cking wife & kids in it Pateen

• Advertisement

Yellow Dog wrote: »

Yea get them before the rest of us do. We've all our own take on how to cook them but you won't be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Remember.

A cowboy steak is a ribeye with the bone attached and a tomahawk is a cowboy steak with the rib fully attached.

Basically all rib.

Also bear in mind, its nearly impossible to cook a tomahawk in a pan, you need a large bbq or grill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Remember.

A cowboy steak is a ribeye with the bone attached and a tomahawk is a cowboy steak with the rib fully attached.

Basically all rib.

Also bear in mind, its nearly impossible to cook a tomahawk in a pan, you need a large bbq or grill.

Sous vide and finish on a cast iron griddle. I got some of these last year and they were great fun. Not sure they are worth it though as you are paying for the bone.

Just put it in the air fryer,

Seriously though, cook as much of it in the pan as will fit, wrap it in tinfoil and finish in the over, no need for bbq/grill you can cook it all easily.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Perfectly fine for a stir fry.
    Might want to coat them in some corn flour to keep the pieces juicy.

inforfun wrote: »
    Perfectly fine for a stir fry.
    Might want to coat them in some corn flour to keep the pieces juicy.
    Sliced one into strips and put it in a Lidl baguette with a 30c Lidl lettuce and some 55c Lidl onions with butter and garlic sauce for a savage steak sandwich on the cheap, might just do the same thing again tomorrow but Ill toast the probably stale by then baguette with cheese this time, 2 days of good eating for less than the price of a Starbucks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

Which place has the better steaks in your opinion - Aldi or Lidl and which one. We got the 35 days matured Irish Hereford Ribeye ones yesterday - they were really nice but not in the really great category (as per our taste buds anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Debub wrote: »
    Which place has the better steaks in your opinion - Aldi or Lidl and which one. We got the 35 days matured Irish Hereford Ribeye ones yesterday - they were really nice but not in the really great category (as per our taste buds anyway)

The Aldi Dry aged (as opposed to the "28 day aged") are the ones. I think they are in the gold and black packet.

Next are the Tesco Specially Selected, which have improved massively over the past year.

Waiting for these dry aged Angus côte de boeuf to hit room temperature. Some lovely marbling on them.

IMG-20200724-174719.jpg

• Advertisement

Looks great, where did they come from?

Advertisement