Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Steak Thread SEE OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Hey guys,

There’s a good deal to be had on steak on the premium butcher website (link below)

https://thepremiumbutcher.ie/product/striploin-joint/

This is my second time ordering from them and the meat is excellent quality. They currently have a “Full Striploin of Beef 4-5kg” for €48. The last time I got this I cut it into 20 good sized steaks (about an inch thick) and froze them in batches of 2. Meat is of excellent quality and for less than €2.50 a steak you can’t go wrong.

If you sign up for the newsletter you get free delivery on orders over €50.

I’m in no way affiliated to them but I was told about this deal the last time by a friend of mine who has ordered from them several times.

Haven’t tried anything else from there but he has also bought the brisket and says it’s very good. Hopefully it’s of use to someone

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭onform

Didn’t realise this was here. Apologies for trying to help other members of the site make a saving and find a bargain. I won’t do it again

Don't apologise, it was an honest mis-steak...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

Hey guys,

There’s a good deal to be had on steak on the premium butcher website (link below)

https://thepremiumbutc...uct/striploin-joint/

This is my second time ordering from them and the meat is excellent quality. They currently have a “Full Striploin of Beef 4-5kg” for €48. The last time I got this I cut it into 20 good sized steaks (about an inch thick) and froze them in batches of 2. Meat is of excellent quality and for less than €2.50 a steak you can’t go wrong.

If you sign up for the newsletter you get free delivery on orders over €50.

I’m in no way affiliated to them but I was told about this deal the last time by a friend of mine who has ordered from them several times.

Haven’t tried anything else from there but he has also bought the brisket and says it’s very good. Hopefully it’s of use to someone

I won't be clicking on that link anyway, not even for a free strioloin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,790 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

.red. wrote: »

Link doesn’t seem to be working anyway

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

onform wrote: »
    Don't apologise, it was an honest mis-steak...

I’ve no beef with you

• Advertisement

.red. wrote: »

Ive amended the link now, don’t know how that happened. Otherwise just google the premium butcher. They’re part of dawn meats

• Registered Users Posts: 17,683 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The sirloin steak you get in Aldi for around 6 euro is quality.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Its xmas lets all BEEF friends

The sirloin steak you get in Aldi for around 6 euro is quality.

Their rib eye steaks are very good also

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Let’s moo-ve on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Hallaz

vicwatson wrote: »
    Let’s moo-ve on

Jeez talk about milking it for all it's worth...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Didn’t realise this was here. Apologies for trying to help other members of the site make a saving and find a bargain. I won’t do it again

Turn the udder cheek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Steak it easy, he was only steaking the mickey...

Steak Care.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,855 ✭✭✭✭muffler

But you still felt the need to post again about it in the steak thread. Butchers selling spam!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,790 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Aldi steaks are very nice and hard to beat

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Anywhere selling salt aged steaks online, I see some farms are but collection only.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anywhere selling salt aged steaks online, I see some farms are but collection only.

James Whelan butcher sells Peter Hannons Himilayan salt aged beef. Its very high quality, Hannon supplies a lot of Londons top restaurants with his beef
    https://www.jameswhelanbutchers.com/products.php?cat=Salt+Aged+Beef
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    In Lidl from Thursday

-Picanha steak 200g/3 euro
    -Angus rib roast on the bone- reduced from 14/kg to 12/kg

This offer seems to be extended for another week going by Lidls brochure. I was going to get one of the picanha steaks but they are too small at 200g as the rump fat takes up almost a third of the steak. Got 1.2kg of the Angus rib roast and will cut two big steaks from that. Picked up a pouch of Lidls peppercorn sauce too which seems a bit of a bargain for 89 cents. I never have cream or whiskey in the house so its handy to buy peppercorn sauce pre made

• Registered Users Posts: 17,978 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I never buy fillet but Aldi had some short dated heavily reduced packs last week. I had to say it was very poor, texture was lovely but the flavour wasn't there, you had to have a sauce. Conclusion I can see now why Wagu is so expensive and in demand, more fat and marbling the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

rob316 wrote: »
    I never buy fillet but Aldi had some short dated heavily reduced packs last week. I had to say it was very poor, texture was lovely but the flavour wasn't there, you had to have a sauce. Conclusion I can see now why Wagu is so expensive and in demand, more fat and marbling the better.

That’s fillet for you. If you want flavour get the dry aged ribeyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,978 ✭✭✭✭rob316

stimpson wrote: »
    That’s fillet for you. If you want flavour get the dry aged ribeyes.

I always get ribeye, hell even the €4 pack of Sirlion from Aldi have far superior flavour than the Fillet. The price people pay for this out and its not worth it.

• Advertisement

Havent had a fillet in years but was never gone on it when I did. I think fillet more about the tenderness and mouth feel that anything else, they're just not as flavoursome as a rib eye with fat in it.

muffler wrote: »
    But you still felt the need to post again about it in the steak thread. Butchers selling spam!!!

I posted it after someone linked me to this thread as being the appropriate place for it. Thought it might be useful to someone. I’ve absolutely no affiliation and I’m definitely not a butcher :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,522 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

You can get some really nice fillet from a lot of butchers. Lovely flavour and texture and a little bit of marble.

A really good fillet - preferably centre cut - is tough to beat.

I posted it after someone linked me to this thread as being the appropriate place for it. Thought it might be useful to someone. I’ve absolutely no affiliation and I’m definitely not a butcher :)

The meat man just arrived at my door with a massive slab of beef and a pound of sausages, so at least your efforts are appreciated by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

The meat man just arrived at my door with a massive slab of beef and a pound of sausages, so at least your efforts are appreciated by me.

Was thinking of getting it but didn't pull the trigger yet. Would be interested to hear what you think of it, especially the quality when you've tasted it, the actual weight of it and the amount of steaks too, although I know that depends on how thick you cut them.

Good to hear. I’ve an order due to be delivered tomorrow. I cut the first couple of steaks a little thick, then went a bit thin, eventually got it right. A friend that gets it regularly said he get about 20 1 inch thick steaks from it so I’ll try go about that thickness tomorrow

Be a savage and cut them 2 inches thick, 16oz steaks ftw

Serious eats has an article on cutting a striploin.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/05/knife-skills-how-to-cut-a-whole-strip-into-steaks-beef.html

These seem to be pre-trimmed, so it should just be cutting into steaks. I'm planning on a roast, some 2" steaks for me (will be cut in 2 again) as it's easier to get them med-rare and sone 1"ers for the kids.

It's hard to weigh the full striploin, but it seems to be a bit short at 3.9KG, but my kitchen scales tops out t 4.5kg so it may not be accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Hard to beat Supervalu's bone in Ribeyes (cowboy steak) for value/quality.

€11.73 (I know) when on special. I generally buy a couple of 1.5kg cuts, then divide into 750g steaks for the BBQ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Be a savage and cut them 2 inches thick, 16oz steaks ftw

I tend to do that
    And then half it ,so I have 2 thick 8 oz steaks ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement