Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Steak Thread SEE OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Hard to beat Supervalu's bone in Ribeyes (cowboy steak) for value/quality.

€11.73 (I know) when on special. I generally buy a couple of 1.5kg cuts, then divide into 750g steaks for the BBQ.

Its a proper bargain at that price, in fact I dont think Ive ever seen it at the 'full' price. Only problem is it seems to be a summer time thing with them, they didnt sell it last winter until it re-appeared around April/May

Just checked my digital Lidl receipt there and the Angus rib roast they have on offer at the moment was actually sold at 11.19/kg and not the special offer price listed of 11.99/kg. So the 1.2kg joint was only 13.43, great value for what will end up as two massive rib eye steaks, Im licking my lips here already

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Ok then. I got 10 3/4” steaks for the kids. 4 1.5” 10-12 oz ers for myself and a 700g roast. All cut up, salted and vacuum sealed for the freezer. From there they will go straight into the sous vide

535067.jpeg

I fried up the offcuts and it’s tasty beef. Considering it’s not dry aged or anything I’d say the quality is better than standard supermarket fare. I got a pound of sausages to bring me up to the €50 for free delivery and they are quality. A nice bit of spice to them.

All in all I’m not sure it’s worth it. If it was closer to 5kg then you’d save a few quid. At 4kg it’s on a par with what you’d pay in Aldi. The only advantage is you can cut thicker steaks.

Some good news, cowboy steaks are back in Supervalue. One week only 21st to 27th Jan at the usual 11.72 a kilo. First time Ive seen them sold during winter, they seemed to be only a summer bbq season thing up until now. Also 33% off sirloins for the same dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Some good news, cowboy steaks are back in Supervalue. One week only 21st to 27th Jan at the usual 11.72 a kilo. First time Ive seen them sold during winter, they seemed to be only a summer bbq season thing up until now. Also 33% off sirloins for the same dates.

Just in time for the weekly shop.

Can these be done in the airfryer or is that sacrilege?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Any meat is lovely out of the airfryer.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭ablelocks

possibly, i don't have one (yet)

but reverse sear if you have the time. leads to a fantasticly tasty steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Had some beautiful T bones for dinner last Sunday.
    €6.60 per kg.

I bought half a cow to get them at that price. Well worth it if you've space... The other half is still happily munching grass in the field..... Joking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭mjp

Bought the striploin of beef in early from premium butchers online seen mentioned here and must say got a serious slab of meat for €48. 21 steaks got from it ranging from 6-9oz in size and they were very tasty with good marbling throughout . Never cut a slab of meat like this and didn't know much bout what I was doing but turned out great . See photo below. They also have a fillet of beef 1.4kg + for €37.50 which sounds tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

mjp wrote: »
    Bought the striploin of beef in early from premium butchers online seen mentioned here and must say got a serious slab of meat for €48. 21 steaks got from it ranging from 6-9oz in size and they were very tasty with good marbling throughout . Never cut a slab of meat like this and didn't know much bout what I was doing but turned out great . See photo below. They also have a fillet of beef 1.4kg + for €37.50 which sounds tempting.

Sounds good. Link and photo please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭mjp

gozunda wrote: »
    Sounds good. Link and photo please :)

Just added photo there. See below link from shop.

https://thepremiumbutcher.ie/product-category/special-offers/

• Advertisement

mjp wrote: »

The marbling looks great on those. Would be great if you could report back on taste and texture after you cook a few of them.

Regards cutting a slab of meat that size into steaks the best technique is to start with the heel of the knife forward and then draw it back towards yourself with downward pressure, repeating the same action if necessary. Sawing the knife back and forth is best avoided as it results in an uneven surface on he steak. Upon cooking this then leads to some parts of the steak having more contact with the hot pan than others. Ive made that mistake in the past when cutting a rib roast into steaks, when its cooked you end up with an uneven colour and it wont have a uniform crust from the maillard reaction.

This article has pictures on how to do it
    https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/05/knife-skills-how-to-cut-a-whole-strip-into-steaks-beef.html#:~:text=Flip%20the%20strip%20over%20so,ready%20to%20cut%20into%20steaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

most important to have good knifes,
    its worth spending €100+ on a proper knife, its a game changer.
    but proper knives are not worth buying unless you keep them sharp.
    i use a double sided whetstone and a set of global knives

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Had some beautiful T bones for dinner last Sunday.
    €6.60 per kg.

I bought half a cow to get them at that price. Well worth it if you've space... The other half is still happily munching grass in the field..... Joking :)

Half a heifer a cow would be pure tough meat

Any meat is lovely out of the airfryer.

Super Valu have 3 specials on Cowboy Steaks. See Attachment below. Which would be best?

What's the best temp to do these and would they need to be marinated ?

The steak setting on our Airfryer is 205 and 10min for well done but it doesn't give consistent results and can result in a tougher steak.

The three steaks look similar except one is bone in which should mean more flavour but you're obviously also paying for the weight of the bone.

You dont need to marinate them unless you want to. Salt and pepper before cooking does just fine to bring the flavour out.

Cant comment on airfrying times/tempeatures as I always pan sear. Have done both methods and feel you get a better sear and crust on the steak by pan frying over air frying.

The three steaks look similar except one is bone in which should mean more flavour but you're obviously also paying for the weight of the bone.

You dont need to marinate them unless you want to. Salt and pepper before cooking does just fine to bring the flavour out.

Cant comment on airfrying times/tempeatures as I always pan sear. Have done both methods and feel you get a better sear and crust on the steak by pan frying over air frying.

Could you sear in the pan and then cook in the AirFryer?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Could you sear in the pan and then cook in the AirFryer?

I cook in the airfryer for 30-90mins (no typo) but at 80C. The meat is still pink inside, the outside surface is dried off and brown. I then sear in a really hot pan, I often will let it cool right down again so as not to chance the inside being cooked.

I have a standard philips, others will vary. I measured the temp once and think it got to 65C max at the 80C setting. If going 90mins I would let it cool in between the 30min timings as it might go high.

The drying of the outside means it sears brilliantly & quick, as there is no water to be boiled away.

What I have not tried, and planned to, is to do my long 80C, let it cool, if not even chill it, and then stick it in a preheated airfryer at 200C. Again the outside will be dried so should brown up nicely.

If you try to sear it before the airfryer you have all that moisture to deal with.

rubadub wrote: »
    I cook in the airfryer for 30-90mins (no typo) but at 80C. The meat is still pink inside, the outside surface is dried off and brown. I then sear in a really hot pan, I often will let it cool right down again so as not to chance the inside being cooked.

I have a standard philips, others will vary. I measured the temp once and think it got to 65C max at the 80C setting. If going 90mins I would let it cool in between the 30min timings as it might go high.

The drying of the outside means it sears brilliantly & quick, as there is no water to be boiled away.

What I have not tried, and planned to, is to do my long 80C, let it cool, if not even chill it, and then stick it in a preheated airfryer at 200C. Again the outside will be dried so should brown up nicely.

If you try to sear it before the airfryer you have all that moisture to deal with.

Thanks, not sure if I understand you correctly. Is this correct if cooking for 90mins.

Steps
    1 airfryer for 90mins at 80C
    Every 30 mins let it cool.

2 let it cool down completely
    Dry the meat off.

3 sear in a really hot pan,

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

The last couple of times I've cooked steak (esp Striploin), it has been in the air fryer.
    Cover it in garlic butter, put it in the fryer from the start, don't bother preheat. Cook to your liking. The butter prevents the outside from drying out too much.
    Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Thanks, not sure if I understand you correctly. Is this correct if cooking for 90mins.

Steps
    1 airfryer for 90mins at 80C
    Every 30 mins let it cool.

2 let it cool down completely
    Dry the meat off.

3 sear in a really hot pan,
    Yes, just 30mins would do the trick of drying the outside and would be a good starting point. There is no "dry the meat off" step, the airfryer is doing that, which is what I like, you are concentrating the meat juices, with sous vide you end up with a soggy steak and loads of meat juice that has fallen out (which could be put in a sauce or kept but I do not want that), then you have to pat the outside down taking off more meat juices.

I can't remember if I ever did it continuously for 90mins, I tend to walk away and leave it. I like the fat to be properly rendered and the long time will do that. I am just warning that at 90mins continuous it might come out with no pink left.

If people do not like the look of pink steak I think it would also be a great way to make a controlled well done steak, just turn the temp up a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

You guys cooking steak in an air fryer are just weird

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

lab man wrote: »
    Half a heifer a cow would be pure tough meat

It's 18 months old.

Pure tenderness. Left hanging for 21 days.
    2nd year doing it. A few of us split the animal which cost 1400 including killing and butchering.

Also have 2 lambs and some self reared chicken

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tmabr

Can confirm the supervalue cowboy steaks are delish

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

tmabr wrote: »
    Can confirm the supervalue cowboy steaks are delish

Surely depends on the cow no?

Happy yours was good

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

vicwatson wrote: »
    Surely depends on the cow no?

Happy yours was good

Always helps if she’s a good cook :D

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

You guys have given me an idea I have never cooked steak in the air fryer, just chicken etc. Will report back !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

I was in supervalu the other day and spotted Rib Eyes on 33% off so went to grab a few. The cheapest pack of 2 were €16. They looked like big enough steaks but I wasn't paying that.

What's with a steak in an air fryer? 30 mins?
    Is it so hard to flash fry each side for 30 seconds, then fry or grill on medium heat for 3-4 mins each side? Even after resting its still less than half the time of the air fryer.
    I usually grill mine, with no added oil. Steak is a simple food, no need to over complicate it.

.red. wrote: »
    I was in supervalu the other day and spotted Rib Eyes on 33% off so went to grab a few. The cheapest pack of 2 were €16. They looked like big enough steaks but I wasn't paying that.

What's with a steak in an air fryer? 30 mins?
    Is it so hard to flash fry each side for 30 seconds, then fry or grill on medium heat for 3-4 mins each side? Even after resting its still less than half the time of the air fryer.
    I usually grill mine, with no added oil. Steak is a simple food, no need to over complicate it.

My Airfryer has a steak preset
    205C and 6min for rare
    205C and 8min for medium
    205C and 10min for Well done.

I've cooked Sirloin twice in it on the well done setting but got different results each time. First time was great but second time turned out tough.

I bought the Cowboy steaks so will let you know how they turned out later. I'm not sure if I'll try Rubadubs method above today . More than likely will just go with the AirFryer preset . If it turns out badly I'll know for the next time.

I don't trust my judgement when using the pan. Also our cooker has an induction hob which isn't ideal for cooking steaks as it can't generate enough heat quickly .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

.red. wrote: »

I got 2 large cowboys at the counter for €9.28 this morning...not sure what you bought for €16..

IMG-20210123-122039.jpg

• Advertisement

I got 2 large cowboys at the counter for €9.28 this morning...not sure what you bought for €16..

IMG-20210123-122039.jpg

Same

Advertisement