Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

garroff wrote: »

When is the expected announcement of who won the tender?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭rob808

The expected announcement of who won the tender is Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

I hope Imagine get no where near , I recall their Boss on Pat Kenny when Wimax was launched , He was nearly passing out saying WiMax was going to literally change the world for everyone.:rolleyes:

TimHorton wrote: »
    I hope Imagine get no where near , I recall their Boss on Pat Kenny when Wimax was launched , He was nearly passing out saying WiMax was going to literally change the world for everyone.:rolleyes:
    The digital divide it would cause since the technology they use is only as good as vdsl.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

rob808 wrote: »
    The only way of knowing if your getting FTTH is the blue line at the moment of time.

Blue line doesn't guarantee anything, no blue line doesn't mean no service either. It's only a guide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

guil wrote: »
    Blue line doesn't guarantee anything, no blue line doesn't mean no service either. It's only a guide.
    It's better than nothing and it's all we have at the minute..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pity they are not updating their website http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/meath/

That hasn't been updated in a few months.

They are now an extra 150 meters closer to me since yesterday. Another 3 manholes dug, they are sending cement blocks down into one of them.

Further down the road near where they started they are now feeding a much thinner blue cable in through the manholes and sending it along the way up towards the front of the works where they are creating manholes and installing yellow tubing.

pegasus1 wrote: »
    It's better than nothing and it's all we have at the minute..

Look up the exchange in the Curragh camp. No blue line for 5 kms in all directions yet 300 houses will have FTTH by winter.

Look up the exchange in the Curragh camp. No blue line for 5 kms in all directions yet 300 houses will have FTTH by winter.
    The Curragh camp is a Military camp therefore any ducting would be hush hush...so to speak..:rolleyes:

Gonzo wrote: »
    pity they are not updating their website http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/meath/

That hasn't been updated in a few months.

They are now an extra 150 meters closer to me since yesterday. Another 3 manholes dug, they are sending cement blocks down into one of them.

Further down the road near where they started they are now feeding a much thinner blue cable in through the manholes and sending it along the way up towards the front of the works where they are creating manholes and installing yellow tubing.
    Let us know if they go beyond the bluelines...

• Advertisement

The Curragh camp is a Military camp therefore any ducting would be hush hush...so to speak..:rolleyes:

I know that, I live there. If that was the case then the FTTC rollout and EVDSL would have been hush hush too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Let us know if they go beyond the bluelines...

will do! It will be some time before they reach the end of the blue lines in this area tho and they havent got to the poles/homes yet.

What I have noticed is that they didnt start along the blue lines that are in the urban part of town. They started roughly 80 meters away from the last cabinet on the edge of town and working their way into the countryside so it seems they are not going to currently go near urban area marked with a blue line. Perhaps they will revisit that location later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Yeah totally agree, my town is on the list with over 200 houses for connection and nearest blue lines are 2-3 miles away...

I know that, I live there. If that was the case then the FTTC rollout and EVDSL would have been hush hush too.
    Suggust you look at the map again...I can see bluelines 820 meters from the cab slapbang in the middle of the camp

Is that 007 you're looking at? It's at least 1.5kms by road and iirc is the only can that hasn't got VDSL yet

well guess the only way to really know is to ask open Eir on Twitter.

Is that 007 you're looking at? It's at least 1.5kms by road and iirc is the only can that hasn't got VDSL yet
    Cur1_007 is FTTC...nearest blue line to that is 1.2 km
    Cur1_003 is nearest to the camp
    If you're fed from cur1_007 your SoL...at the moment..maybe..

well guess the only way to really know is to ask open Eir on Twitter.

They won't tell you either. Look at the multiple tweets about EVDSL.

Cur1_007 is FTTC...nearest blue line to that is 1.2 km
    Cur1_003 is nearest to the camp
    If you're fed from cur1_003 your SoL...at the moment..maybe..

Yes sorry it's 003. At one stage Vodafone told me I was connected to that cab but eircom tech confirmed I was DF.

Yes sorry it's 003. At one stage Vodafone told me I was connected to that cab but eircom tech confirmed I was DF.
    Pray then that they meant the camp as well and not the surrounding areas...

• Advertisement

They won't say if your getting FTTH but they tell you what the Blue lines are and what it mean if your house on one.There might be other way of knowing since Eir have submitted detail document of geolocation of these 100,000 homes to the department.I hope the goverment except them so we have a better idea.

Pray then that they meant the camp as well and not the surrounding areas...

003 feeds a very small amount of houses.

003 feeds a very small amount of houses.
    A quick look an rough count, it's over 200...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

They won't say if your getting FTTH but they tell you what the Blue lines are and what it mean if your house on one.There might be other way of knowing since Eir have submitted detail document of geolocation of these 100,000 homes to the department.I hope the goverment except them so we have a better idea.
    Eir won't confirm though if the blue lines are official (even though I doubt some of them are) and you can't just ask if you are on even the 2017-2020 list because they don't have any list. Eir wouldn't even tell me about the cabinet marked in the local village so there's no way you'll get much out of them when it comes to FTTH besides the usual marketing speak.

Knowing what the blue lines means at this point is useless info to get from them because we know the answer, we already know too which areas are in those 100,000 and it's unlikely even then they'll be able to tell you if you in particular is getting FTTH.

Eir won't confirm though if the blue lines are official (even though I doubt some of them are) and you can't just ask if you are on even the 2017-2020 list because they don't have any list. Eir wouldn't even tell me about the cabinet marked in the local village so there's no way you'll get much out of them when it comes to FTTH besides the usual marketing speak.

Knowing what the blue lines means at this point is useless info to get from them because we know the answer, we already know too which areas are in those 100,000 and it's unlikely even then they'll be able to tell you if you in particular is getting FTTH.
    well that true they only give out info they currently have and notting more siro the same. The only way of knowing for sure is if the goverment except the 100,000 homes and take them out of the NBP.I did ask them before about blue lines and they said blue lines represent high level of planning and if your house is on the blue line they intend to supply you with FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Kensei

To be honest, I have a feeling they are way too slow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Kensei wrote: »
    Well Eir would say otherwise but honestly broadband should have had a proper plan and pressure coming from the government years ago. We've had what, 4 plans in the last decade and we still haven't actually solved any of the big issues. Eir seem more willing now though to get off their backside and what them and Siro are proposing seems very promising.

I doubt they'll get it done by 2020 but I will keep some bit of hope that they might actually get somewhere in the next five years and get past this current thing where Siro announce a few towns to be upgraded, Eir announce a few more than Siro do. I wish they'd just get on with it and stop play acting.

Kensei wrote: »

It will be slow but now im starting to get a better picture of how fast they are building this since they started work on Friday, yesterday and today. There is more to it than I thought, alot of digging/building new manholes and sending tubes and wires into the ground. They have covered roughly 1 km over the past 3 days of work which is quicker than I expected! iF they have enough teams working they should be able to have the first 100,000 complete by this time next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

Gonzo wrote: »
    It will be slow but now im starting to get a better picture of how fast they are building this since they started work on Friday, yesterday and today. There is more to it than I thought, alot of digging/building new manholes and sending tubes and wires into the ground. They have covered roughly 1 km over the past 3 days of work which is quicker than I expected! iF they have enough teams working they should be able to have the first 100,000 complete by this time next year.

Are they running it directly back to the exchange? Or does it connect back to a fibre cabinet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

http://talkofthetown.ie/2016/04/04/eir-to-host-dundalk-briefing-on-fibre-roll-out-plan-for-co-louth/

Members of the public are invited to a briefing in the Town Hall in Dundalk on Monday April 18th to discuss Eir’s fibre rollout plan for Co Louth.

The briefing will take place from 11am to 12 noon with Eir CEO Richard Moat and his team set to attend to provide an update on the service.

To date more than 42,000 homes and businesses in Co Louth have been empowered by eir’s fibre broadband network and by 2020 a further estimated 10,500 premises in the county will be able to access uncongested broadband with speeds of up to 100Mbps.

In addition, earlier this month Eir announced that 7,570 households in Louth were set to benefit from 1Gbps fibre broadband speeds within 12 months.

Amongst the areas set to benefit include Castlebellingham (680 premises), Carlingford (570), Hackballscross (460), Louth Village (530), Omeath (260), Ravensdale (820), Riverstown (1,030) and Dundalk (280).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement