Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Airfryer £69.99~€95 for the next 12 Hours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,841 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Thargor wrote: »
    Depends what you're cooking, definitely plenty to do the meat for 2 adults.

Either chips or wedges and the meat in the oven or the meat in the Actifry with rice or mash or something.

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭largepants

Is it worth buying this for a family of six? Would it be big enough?

Ive spotted one in Currys (on phone so cant link) that e109. Would i be correct in saying that its a newer model of the one on Amazon.

Really thinking of going for it if i wouldnt have to be cooking 3 or 4 baskets full every time.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

Ive never done nice home made chips in mine either, anyone any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

largepants wrote: »

Ive spotted one in Currys (on phone so cant link) that e109. Would i be correct in saying that its a newer model of the one on Amazon.

Really thinking of going for it if i wouldnt have to be cooking 3 or 4 baskets full every time.

Thanks.

This is the newer model in Currys - http://www.currys.ie/Product/philips-hd923020-viva-airfryer-ink-black/322950/408.0

It's €109 and will be the one I am going to go for. It's a pity they have none in stock in the shops in Jervis or Liffey Valley for store pickup though :-( Home delivery does is not coming up as an option for this one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

largepants wrote: »

Thanks.

I'd say not.. There's an xl model, someone linked to a deal on the German Amazon site earlier in the thread, which would be more suitable..
    Have to say, they're fantastic - haven't used my oven since I got it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

What's cleaning it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

UsedToWait wrote: »
    I'd say not.. There's an xl model, someone linked to a deal on the German Amazon site earlier in the thread, which would be more suitable..
    Have to say, they're fantastic - haven't used my oven since I got it :)

I got my XL model from amazon.de for €177 during black friday. Like you, I haven't used my oven once since I got it!

Depends what you are cooking, but it could have room for 6 people. Chips for 6 shouldn't be a problem. It'd fit 5 regular-sized burgers if that is what you wanted to make.

Cleaning: Easy. I put the basket/tray into the dish washer.

Philips have a guide for cleaning the element, which I have done once since I got it. It was easy enough.
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/cpindex.pl?ctn=HD9220/20&dct=QAD&faqview=1&mid=Link_FAQs&refnr=0108569&scy=AA&slg=ENG&view=aa12_view_partial.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭amber2

Splash of oven pride and a lash of boiling water leave it soak and then just give it a wipe out & that's after cooking a steak, I don't clean it after cooking chips on their own as there isn't really any need.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

What's cleaning it like?
    Piece of pee. 2 items ( Basket and surround ), into dishwasher. Job done. Alternatively, warm water & WU liquid. Simple. I've been lining the bottom of the unit (not the basket) with a layer of tin foil lately, almost negating the need to clean it after every use.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

madmoe wrote: »
    This is the newer model in Currys - http://www.currys.ie/Product/philips-hd923020-viva-airfryer-ink-black/322950/408.0

It's €109 and will be the one I am going to go for. It's a pity they have none in stock in the shops in Jervis or Liffey Valley for store pickup though :-( Home delivery does is not coming up as an option for this one!!

That is a much better deal, more precise with temp and timer than the amazon model. Wish I had that updated version.

And a double layer accessory?? No competition!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ablelocks

That is a much better deal, more precise with temp and timer than the amazon model. Wish I had that updated version.

And a double layer accessory?? No competition!

would the double layer give it enough space for a family of 6 then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

What's cleaning it like?

I remove the worst of the grease with kitchen paper and throw mine into the dishwasher (basket in the drawer) and it comes out perfect (every 2 or 3 uses)

ablelocks wrote: »
    would the double layer give it enough space for a family of 6 then?
    No chance. But dont let that put you off. It's a fantastic bit of kit. You want to see the job it does on a full fry alternative (minus the fired egg of course !). I'm very surprised this is still @ €109.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I bought one of these last week after all and it's great. Does a fantastic job with chips, fish and chicken (all I've tried so far).

Cleaning is dead handy.. minimal mess anyway but a quick wipe with a sponge afterwards and its perfect again.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I bought one of these last week after all and it's great. Does a fantastic job with chips, fish and chicken (all I've tried so far).

Cleaning is dead handy.. minimal mess anyway but a quick wipe with a sponge afterwards and its perfect again.
    Wait till you stick in a full chicken, albeit a small one, then you'll know how bloody wonderful this thing is ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭amber2

dodzy wrote: »
    No chance. But dont let that put you off. It's a fantastic bit of kit. You want to see the job it does on a full fry alternative (minus the fired egg of course !). I'm very surprised this is still @ €109.

Not a fried egg I know, but you can egg in the airfryer in one of those silicone bun cases with a knob of butter turns out perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

It does do onion rings, chicken nuggets, spring rolls, frozen burgers etc as good as or better than the fryer though, way cleaner taste of them.

You fry frozen burgers? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Yamanoto wrote: »
    You fry frozen burgers? :eek:

Must be Scottish

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just wondering has anyone here gone from owning a halogen oven and then later a Philips Airfryer? How did you find the difference in cooking and was the increase in cost (€50 vs. €100) justifiable? My own halogen is on the way out after two years almost daily use and I'm not sure whether to get a new one for €45ish or upgrade to an Airfryer. I'm actually wondering whats the main difference between them too as I see recently many halogen ovens have begun marketing themselves as airfryers. Are Airfryers just hot air circulated by a fan? If so I'm scratching my head as halogens also work on that basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭Barr

Is the Philips any good for cooking home made chips from potatoes?

If not is there a better alternative out there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,174 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Barr wrote: »
    Is the Philips any good for cooking home made chips from potatoes?

If not is there a better alternative out there

That's what we do. Rinse the chips, dry them. Put in a bowl with 1 table spoon of olive oil. Add a little salt & tiny bit of pepper. Mix them there before putting in the air fryer.

Takes about 20 minutes for perfect chips.

(Similar method for wedges or potato cubes too).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Dodge wrote: »
    That's what we do. Rinse the chips, dry them. Put in a bowl with 1 table spoon of olive oil. Add a little salt & tiny bit of pepper. Mix them there before putting in the air fryer.

You dont soak them to remove starch first?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Rinse the chips, dry them.

You dry the chips, that sounds awkward, or just a quick shake off excess water you mean.
    But soaking is a definite.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,174 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Sorry I said rinse, I meant soak! Definitely soak!
    You dry the chips, that sounds awkward, or just a quick shake off excess water you mean.

Not that awkward. Quick dab with some kitchen towel

What are the best spuds? I know this answer is always Maris Pipers but for those of us with no M&S nearby or the desire to pay €6 for a KG of spuds whats the best option? Roosters/Whites/Kerrs Pinks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

What are the best spuds? I know this answer is always Maris Pipers but for those of us with no M&S nearby or the desire to pay €6 for a KG of spuds whats the best option? Roosters/Whites/Kerrs Pinks?

There are Maris pipers in Lidl for the last few months, 2.5kg bag for around E3. Very good quality compared with the standard fare in spudz.

I did not know that, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

The Kerr Pinks in Tesco right now are absolutely fantastic in the actifry/airfryer... that little bit too nice. Thought I'd totally gone off potatoes but I've been converted and having them everyday the last week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭Barr

Its just that some of the reviews say the home made chips don't turn out great. That they are oily etc.

That is why I was thinking of an alternative to the Philips as this is main use it will have in our house.

Advertisement