Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Device/OS Announcement - Sep 29th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 deisebih

I presume these prices include VAT ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I'm thinking they added 100 via typo, as the price does seam odd.

Anyone know the UK price or other euros zones?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Wishful thinking, no mistake in pricing. They've priced themselves completely out of it at that price, the Moto X 2015, OPT, LG G4 and Galaxy S6 Edge can all be bough sim-free for a lot cheaper than €650. I would have gladly paid €500 for it and may even have stretched to €550 but €650 is madness.

Very disappointed :( Off to explore the alternatives around 5" - €479 is just too much imo.

Funny, at the price, the LG G4 (that the Nexus 5x is based on) is cheaper and (hardware wise) better almost in every way...

Has to be a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Nexus 6P:

It's not that bad if you do the maths.
    I would be switching from 3's 40.00 PM plan, to its 25.00 pm sim only plan.
    I also have a 10% customer loyalty discount, bringing my plan to 22.50 pm.
    Saving 17.50 pm
    Over 2 years that's 420.00

So in my case it's makes either phone very affordable.

Am I going to buy one?

Not a chance!

My eyes have been opened since buying an OPO last year, class phone.

Not buying an OPT either simply because of that ridiculous invite system.

So this year I'm buying a Zuk Z1, not the latest processor but more than adequate for my needs and best of all its only 310.00 including shipping. Amazing value!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

madmoe wrote: »
    Hey all,
    If this is bought buy a family member in the states and then brought over here when they come back will it work exactly the same as one bought here? What I'm saying basically is there one world phone edition that works on all bands etc. etc.

Cheers,
    M

This. This is what I would like to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭henke

Anyone know how long it will be before these devices take a price drop or recall when previous nexus took a drop?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Pulled the trigger on the new chromecast.

Keano wrote: »
    Pulled the trigger on the new chromecast.

Yep here too, wanted the music one but not available yet.

Funny how that price was fine with US price...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Not a chance they'll shift the 6 at those prices in any numbers in Ireland.
    OPO is a match for half the price. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

There's 3 threads now about these phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Think I'll be going for the new Moto G 3rd gen - 2gb of ram and a micro sd slot so no worries over storage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I like the idea of the Chromecast audio, think I'll grab one of those. Pity it's not powered by rechargeable battery but sure what can you expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I like the idea of the Chromecast audio, think I'll grab one of those. Pity it's not powered by rechargeable battery but sure that can you expect.

I know this isn't the solution you want, but you could just buy a dirt cheap one online, I'd say the battery in it would keep an audio only screenless android device ticking over for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Chromecast still can't cast Google Photos but yet it can cast your Facebook and Flickr photos.
    WTF Google......

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭theintern

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I like the idea of the Chromecast audio, think I'll grab one of those. Pity it's not powered by rechargeable battery but sure that can you expect.

As a matter of interest, how do you see this working outdoors/not near a plug?

They pull things down over wifi, so unless you're using a battery powered speaker and a hotspot on your phone...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

errlloyd wrote: »
    I know this isn't the solution you want, but you could just buy a dirt cheap one online, I'd say the battery in it would keep an audio only screenless android device ticking over for a good while.

True, but you might as well have the power cable stringing from it, you could probably even make it neater than an external battery.
    theintern wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, how do you see this working outdoors/not near a plug?

They pull things down over wifi, so unless you're using a battery powered speaker and a hotspot on your phone...?

Purely in terms of neatness and not requiring an additional power supply. The main stereo in use is in our kitchen and is only near two sockets, one permanently in use by the stereo and the other for phones or laptops. Plus it has the input on the front of the unit rather than the back.

As for battery powered devices, I actually have 3 Smart Radios that also are battery powered, but they already have the Spotify app so I wouldn't really need it for them unless I was using Google Play Music or whatever it's called these days.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

god's toy wrote: »
    I'm thinking they added 100 via typo, as the price does seam odd.

Anyone know the UK price or other euros zones?

The UK price is about the same as ours. Don't know about German prices but I'd say they're the same as us.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Like many I was waiting to see the price before deciding.

The Zuk Z1 one sounds like the best fit for me of everything out there. Anybody know when that comes out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Chromecast still can't cast Google Photos but yet it can cast your Facebook and Flickr photos.
    WTF Google......

That's coming with the next Google Photos update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,447 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

henke wrote: »
    Does the 5x come with quick charging or any sort of bells and whistles? Was going to purchase but its a steep price
    No wireless charging even - technology the two year old Nexus 5 had! Would not be touching these phones with a 50 foot pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Zurbaran wrote: »
    Like many I was waiting to see the price before deciding.

The Zuk Z1 one sounds like the best fit for me of everything out there. Anybody know when that comes out?

October 10th afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

October 10th afaik
    Not long so, cheers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Some of those other phones look good and are worthy competitors to the nexus but what is the update situation like? A lot of manufacturers have asked pure or close to pure android which is great but lack of updates or very slow updates would kill. Marshmallow is out in a week or so and my 2 year old nexus 5 will be updated not long after. How many phones will even get marshmallow let alone ones 2 years old. I really wish manufacturers would start updating their phones and quickly.

No wireless charging even - technology the two year old Nexus 5 had! Would not be touching these phones with a 50 foot pole.

The 6P is metal so it doesn't do wireless charging. I'd say they didn't want a feature on the 5X that wasn't on the 6P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Some of those other phones look good and are worthy competitors to the nexus but what is the update situation like? A lot of manufacturers have asked pure or close to pure android which is great but lack of updates or very slow updates would kill. Marshmallow is out in a week or so and my 2 year old nexus 5 will be updated not long after. How many phones will even get marshmallow let alone ones 2 years old. I really wish manufacturers would start updating their phones and quickly.

Yeah, my two year old Nexus 5 will get it then too, but I'll only be able to use it for 2 hours before plugging the damn thing in to charge!

Cina wrote: »
    Yeah, my two year old Nexus 5 will get it then too, but I'll only be able to use it for 2 hours before plugging the damn thing in to charge!

So true. Battery life has gone to crap on mine too. I'm thinking of jumping ship to Windows Phone once WP10 comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭FaganJr

October 10th afaik
    Pre orders start shipping tomorrow, hope I'm in the early batch

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

Did you see what it says in the "what's in the box" info? Usb-c to usb-c cable? I hope that's a mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

murfilein wrote: »
    Did you see what it says in the "what's in the box" info? Usb-c to usb-c cable? I hope that's a mistake.

The wall plug coming with them is one that takes a usb-c connection.
    You can buy separately a usb-a to usb-c cable in the accessories section at the bottom of the page.
    Think it's pretty dear from what I remember looking at the page earlier!

Advertisement