Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Device/OS Announcement - Sep 29th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

The look of the 6P has definitely grown on my looking at the latest leaks. Given the battery size and the amoled screen I'll definitely be watching on tomorrow night to see what the story is. Hopefully get the 64GB for €600ish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

I think this is the first time I have seen Ireland mentioned in the countries for a Google launch. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Is the 5x only coming in 16gb

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

irishgeo wrote: »
    Is the 5x only coming in 16gb

Looks like being either 16GB or 32GB, though the RAM is looking like coming in on the low side of expectations at 2GB: http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09/28/leaked-document-reveals-full-nexus-5x-specs-confirms-2gb-of-ram/

Would still be a massive step up from my S3 for me though, and not interested in the 6P owing to the size of it, so I'm eager for the announcement at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

First time I've heard a Nexus launch being reported on Irish national radio news.
    Brilliant to see they are at long last paying attention to real phones rather than Apple spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

I always liked the uniqueness of Nexus & Android being that there wasn't the fanfare like Apple. So I'd prefer this was a little hush hush & not so maintstream. The one thing I love about my Nexus is no one else has one that I know unlike the "common" iPhone :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Looking at the specs I think the 6P will be my next phone. Looks the business and should be a capable flagship for 2 years or so.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If the prices I've seen leaked so far are true (5X $379 16gb, 6P $499 32gb are true, then for the 32gb model of both there should be very little price difference which is odd and disappointing, although the 6P does seem to be a little cheaper than expected. I'd guess with the crappy exchange rate this year though that $=€ in terms of prices which will make things dearer than previously for the 5X.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ACLFC7

I think it'll be €400 for the 16GB and €450 for the 32 Nexus 5X

• Advertisement

I was thinking of going for the Nexus 5X but the more I read about the 6P...its tempting & the size is not that big...is it? I don't buy a new phone that often so defo want to get the best as will have it for a while (I hope)

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Specs sound good, i'd like to see a comparison between the new nexus's and the recently released motorola moto x phones before buying something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

Here's hoping we see a few more USB-C cables on the market now once these devices go on sale its a job trying to get them at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

I'm really unsure what to go for, Im normally a day one adopter but I'm torn if the 2Gb of RAM rumor is true.

What time is it kicking off in our time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Seems mad that there would be such a small difference in price between the 5 and 6 32gb models - when you consider the bigger screen and extra RAM etc. :( The 6 is really too big fo rme though, even the 5 is pushing it - I liek small phones :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

projectgtr wrote: »
    I'm really unsure what to go for, Im normally a day one adopter but I'm torn if the 2Gb of RAM rumor is true.

What time is it kicking off in our time?

5PM

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

What a disappointment. Charging that kind of dough for a phone with a poxy 2gb of RAM is just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Nexus lost its charm when they started pusing up the prices. There are better specs available for less.

The only thing draws me to the Nexus series now is the latest and greatest software + updates on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

What a disappointment. Charging that kind of dough for a phone with a poxy 2gb of RAM is just wrong.

Why so? iPhone 6s has only 2gb. iPhone 6 only 1. It's not the amount RAM that matters it's how an OS uses it. How do you know that part of any new android announcement isn't a much better memory management layer in the OS architecture? 2GB of RAM on 6.x could easily be the equiv of 3GB on 5.x if coded correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Why so? iPhone 6s has only 2gb. iPhone 6 only 1. It's not the amount RAM that matters it's how an OS uses it. How do you know that part of any new android announcement isn't a much better memory management layer in the OS architecture? 2GB of RAM on 6.x could easily be the equiv of 3GB on 5.x if coded correctly.

guess we will have to wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭henke

If these devices are available for pre-order today I wonder how long we would expect to wait for shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭caviardreams

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Nexus lost its charm when they started pusing up the prices. There are better specs available for less.

The only thing draws me to the Nexus series now is the latest and greatest software + updates on them.

But the software is a big plus for me - getting marshmallow out of the box is very tempting. Also, I am struggling to find a 5"-ish phone at the pricepoint. the LG G4 and Moto Play are both 5.5 I think, which is just too big for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭cmac2009

But the software is a big plus for me - getting marshmallow out of the box is very tempting. Also, I am struggling to find a 5"-ish phone at the pricepoint. the LG G4 and Moto Play are both 5.5 I think, which is just too big for me :(

I feel your pain. Similarly looking for a smaller handset and there really isn't that much out there these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

henke wrote: »
    If these devices are available for pre-order today I wonder how long we would expect to wait for shipping.
    I think the original Nexus 5 started shipping within the week so I'd expect the same for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

If these 6P prices are correct then it's a joke and I'll stay with my OPO for now.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09/29/full-nexus-6p-press-release-with-pricing-for-various-sizes-in-several-countries-leaked/

€699 for the 64GB version!

nexus2cee_nexus-6p-arak-price-668x214.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭cmac2009

If these 6P prices are correct then it's a joke and I'll stay with my OPO for now.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09/29/full-nexus-6p-press-release-with-pricing-for-various-sizes-in-several-countries-leaked/

€699 for the 64GB version!

nexus2cee_nexus-6p-arak-price-668x214.jpg

I'm guessing it is correct. Crazy price really. Can't see many sales at those price points

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

If these prices are legit i'm out. $250 more expensive for the 128gb version? How can they justify that sort of additional markup
    WnfEZWKGbE4pO.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I call shenanigans!

$499 does not equal £449 or €649 no matter what way you cut it!

Even putting the cost at $550 to account for sales tax and freight costs, it's still only around £360 and €480

Plus, I don't see IE on that list :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I call shenanigans!

$499 does not equal £449 or €649 no matter what way you cut it!

Even putting the cost at $550 to account for sales tax and freight costs, it's still only around £360 and €480

Plus, I don't see IE on that list :(

Electronic devices are never priced 1 : 1, Europeans generally get screwed.

• Advertisement

Oh I wonder are OPO getting scared, I got an invite this afternoon finally for the OPT...am waiting to see what Nexus 5X and 6P are like first - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc-LEG0T_4c

Advertisement