Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Device/OS Announcement - Sep 29th

Options
  • 21-09-2015 2:16pm
    Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭

I didn't see a thread for this so thought I'd see what people expect from it. Some things seem fairly certain:

Android 6.0 Marshmallow
    Nexus 5 2015 (or 5x I think it is to be called)
    Nexus 6 2015 - Seen another letter appended to the 6 for this but can't remember.

Other things a bit more speculative:
    New chromecast?
    An android TV update? Maybe combining the above 2?
    Maybe a new tablet? Seems unlikely though I think.
    Maybe some android wear stuff?

Any thing else being speculated about?

I still have a previous Nexus 5, and I seem to have somewhat resolved my battery drain issues which I think was caused by far too much syncing of email accounts, so it's not near as debilitating to use as it was a few months back so I will probably reluctantly abandon plans to get the new N5, but I'm still curious about the exact specs of it.

Will they use the Snapdragon 820 processor in either new phone or stick with the 808/810 that was originally planned? Obviously expandable storage is out as Nexus phones haven't done that for ages, but an affordable 32gb device as well as an optional 64gb one would be great.

I have no real interest in the N6 as it will be too expensive to reasonably buy sim free, but still hoping they make a great device.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Been using the Nexus 5 for too long now so I am really hoping the Nexus 5x suits my needs and comes in at a reasonable price.

I believe the new 6 will be called the Nexus 6p

New chromecast or as you say some form of combination for Android TV would be the only other thing to really interest me but also wouldn't be counting on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'm very interested in the Nexus 5x coming from a One Plus One.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,218 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Can't believe the lack of interest in this compared to the Apple announcement a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Some sort of chrome cast audio device, connect it to speakers to make them internet enabled.

I have a raspberry pi doing this at the moment so I like the sound of it. Cast music to speakers, Spotify, internet radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

There's a device that looks very like a second gen Nexus Player which just passed through the FCC stateside as well during the week. The new rounder looking Chromecast has leaked so I'd say there's a good chance those two will be launched simultaneously, along with Nexus5x, 6p and Marshmallow.
    And yes, it is criminal how much less interest there is in these compared to the stuff released by the Cupertino conmen a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Great, can't wait!

It's early this year, right?

Hopefully be impressed by this 5x and get rid of my OPO :D

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ACLFC7

Nexus 5X ap_resize.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.androidpolice.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F09%2Fnexus2cee_AndroidPIT-Nexus-5-2015-final-w782_thumb.jpg&w=728

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

From the supposedly leaked pics of the N6p, there is a weird camera bump on the back across the width of the device. I'm curious what that is for, but it sure does look pretty ugly.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmSFb18tQxCVYU2-vI_sss5ANR17Fx4apY2ImCCYJgf_MtmxLU

Oh shít, that's one hella ugly phone :D

Maybe that's a version that has a built in projector, like the Galaxy Beam :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Passed up a plus 2 invite to see what the nexus 5 2015 is like.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Roll on 29th Sept! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

Can't believe the lack of interest in this compared to the Apple announcement a few weeks ago

Meh, nexus phones usually always follow the lines of... The best software mixed with a poor battery and an even poorer camera.

I'll be watching though with interest.. Maybe they can finally make something high quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Teflon Ron

5starpool wrote: »
    From the supposedly leaked pics of the N6p, there is a weird camera bump on the back across the width of the device. I'm curious what that is for, but it sure does look pretty ugly.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmSFb18tQxCVYU2-vI_sss5ANR17Fx4apY2ImCCYJgf_MtmxLU

My God that's ugly. Was hoping to move back to the larger Nexus phone. Pass.

How could anyone think that's a god idea?! Hopefully it'll be explained in a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Well there are valid reasons for that. People who follow the apple announcement are apple fans by and large but also they are interested in the next product. They want to see what apple is bringing out next. The iOS part of the announcement is generally meh, give or take. The big interest is what the next iPhone will be like, what will be different etc...

Google don't generate that same publicity due to the fragmented nature of the android world. The nexus isn't a great phone in my opinion so I don't care what they are going to announce. There are so many brands, makes and models that we are all just interested in what is new in Android.

It comes down to singular device model. Here is our new phone, here is our new laptop and here is our new tv. Google: Here is our new OS which hundreds of companies will alter. Here is our new phone which is worse than a lot of models out there running our new OS. We also have a new TV but then again so do hundreds of other companies. Scattered fragmented distribution v's focused singular model.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭henke

I wonder how long after announcement we can expect this to go on sale in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

If this article is correct, the 5X specs are not great.
    Dissappointing RAM and battery size will be a problem again

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09/23/amazon-india-leaks-alleged-nexus-5x-specs-and-3-colors-early-no-photos/

ap_resize.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.androidpolice.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F09%2Fnexus2cee_lg-nexus-5x-amazon-india-728x199.png&w=728

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

henke wrote: »
    I wonder how long after announcement we can expect this to go on sale in Ireland?

Too long probably :(

In fairness, those 5X specs are terrible.

Moto X Play all the way after seeing them.

The 6P looks awful too. Who at Huawei thought that would make a good flagship?

Anything similar to the Ascend series would have been a winner :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

If this article is correct, the 5X specs are not great.
    Dissappointing RAM and battery size will be a problem again

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09/23/amazon-india-leaks-alleged-nexus-5x-specs-and-3-colors-early-no-photos/

ap_resize.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.androidpolice.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F09%2Fnexus2cee_lg-nexus-5x-amazon-india-728x199.png&w=728

Yes, it's relatively close to the new €380 Moto X Play in terms of specs, so we have an idea of the price.

http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/motorola-moto-x-play/1600011760.prd?_requestid=43828
    Moto X Play                NG Nexus 5X
    Processor:        1.7GHz Octo-Core           1.8GHz Hexa-Core 
                      Qualcomm MSM8939           Qualcomm MSM8992
    Battery:             2630mAh                    2700mAH
    RAM:                   2GB                        2GB
    Display:             5.5 inch                    5.2 inch
                      (1920x1080,403 ppi)       (1080x19820,423 ppi)
    Camera:               21MP                       12.3MP
    Storage:              16GB                       16GB

Though it must be said the Moto X Play also has an sd card slot which the Nexus 5X does not!

Though it must be said the Moto X Play also has an sd card slot which the Nexus 5X does not!

And it's only €349 in argos :)

Regarldess of megapixels, they should really sort the camera sensor out on Nexus line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭henke

Other sites are reporting the 5X to have 3GB RAM. One thing I am wondering though is the dimensions look big for a 5.2" phone.

That ugly black section of the Nexus 6P rear is very likely an antenna zone to get around the problem of a metal housing.

They really should have tried to tone down the visual impact by wrapping it around the top edge of the phone, like a similar antenna window they had on some of the older iPads with 3G.

ipad-3-002.jpg

It possibly won't look as bad on a darker Nexus, but it sticks out like Bender's visor on the lighter coloured Nexus 6P in leaked images.

henke wrote: »
    Other sites are reporting the 5X to have 3GB RAM. One thing I am wondering though is the dimensions look big for a 5.2" phone.

The Amazon India accidental pre-listing probably didn't have accurate dimensions or details.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

mid range specs for mid range money would be predictable, but disappointing. I think part of the allure of the Nexus range until lat year was good (if not magnificent) specs for a reasonable price. If they are cutting the specs to match the price then that's a sad departure. It doesn't look enough to warrant an upgrade from the old N5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

I have been waiting for this announcement for ages - my old Nexus 4 is on its last legs & ready to be replaced. Looking forward to this - hope the specs of the Nexus 5X are a bit better than posted here already :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Also in need of a new Android as my HTC Desire One S is on its last legs - was holding out for the new Nexus 5X as Anything bigger than a 5.3" screen is out for me and love the stock Android on my nexus tablet.

Had been hoping for a little more, like the previously rumored 3gb of ram. But wait and see I guess. Wish there were more mid-range phones around the 5" mark - everything seems to be 5.5-6 :(

• Advertisement

The 6P looks a bit better in these shots:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09/26/nexus-6p-presentation-leak-includes-more-images-confirms-metal-body-gorilla-glass-4-and-3450mah-battery/

The black 'antenna' bit looked tacked on in those other ones.

Advertisement