Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EPA says Volkswagen cheated on emissions with 482,000 diesel cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Would there be any difference in NCT emission results between two identical cars were one was 'fixed' and one wasn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Gazzmonkey wrote: »
    Would there be any difference in NCT emission results between two identical cars were one was 'fixed' and one wasn't?

No. Diesel emissions testing is pure tokenism*.

Unless the "update" has modified them to smoke like a 90s diesel with the pump screwed to the max then there will be no discernable difference in the laughable NCT diesel emissions test.

*This is surely a coincidence and not part of an EU orchestrated "diesel ist wunderbar" initiative. LOLz.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

No. Diesel emissions testing is pure tokenism*.

Unless the "update" has modified them to smoke like a 90s diesel with the pump screwed to the max then there will be no discernable difference in the laughable NCT diesel emissions test.

*This is surely a coincidence and not part of an EU orchestrated "diesel ist wunderbar" initiative. LOLz.

Stop playing the same old song and blaming EU for the ridiculous tax regime in Ireland...

grogi wrote: »
    Stop playing the same old song and blaming EU for the ridiculous tax regime in Ireland...
    This should be good!
    What does the emissions testing at NCT have to do with tax?

Seems to have mostly fallen out of the news here but the repercussions keep on rolling for VAG.

Volkswagen market share falls for 14th month in a row - Fallout from emissions scandal continues while European car sales overall rise 6.9%

Audi software can distort emissions in tests, VW says
    Audi cars with automatic transmissions have technology capable of distorting emissions when they are tested, Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE) said, as its luxury flagship is battling allegations over a reported discovery of a new cheat software device.

The software in CARB's discovery lowered carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions by detecting whether a car's steering wheel was turned as it would be when driving on a road and was used in diesel and petrol models in Europe for years, Bild had said.

VW, Audi May Face Higher Costs to Resolve Emissions Issues
    Volkswagen AG and its Audi luxury-car unit face the prospect of significantly higher costs to resolve emissions-cheating litigation in the U.S. following a recent disclosure about Audi that unleashed new consumer lawsuits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

VW have also pulled the plug on their WRC programme in which they have won (dominated really) both the manufacturers and drivers championships every year for the last four years.

they only announced it a few weeks ago after most of the other teams had secured lineups for 2017 leaving current champion Sebastian Ogier without a drive next year!

Surely this is a direct result of the fallout from the cost of the emissions scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Did any impacted VAG owner hear anything about this recently from Volkswagen or their dealer? My wife has a 131 1.6 TDi Superb which is impacted. We got a letter (could be a year ago now) saying that the car is impacted and that the dealer will be in touch with a fix. Heard nothing since. Not sure I want them messing around retrofitting some fix to a car that's running well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

VW to cut 30,000 jobs. Probably not all as a direct result of dieselgate but I'd say the majority are.

http://news.sky.com/story/vw-cuts-30000-jobs-in-emission-scandal-cost-saving-plan-10661335

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭9935452

Tropheus wrote: »
    Did any impacted VAG owner hear anything about this recently from Volkswagen or their dealer? My wife has a 131 1.6 TDi Superb which is impacted. We got a letter (could be a year ago now) saying that the car is impacted and that the dealer will be in touch with a fix. Heard nothing since. Not sure I want them messing around retrofitting some fix to a car that's running well.

I got a couple of letters a year ago too. They still havent got back to me.
    One of the lads at work has a passat and he recently got a letter to say that he can contact them to arrange a time for the fix.

If you dont want them messing with the car , just dont return it for the recall.
    Just be careful if you get the car main dealer serviced that they dont do it at a service

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

9935452 wrote: »
    Just be careful if you get the car main dealer serviced that they dont do it at a service

That's a good point. Not even just for a service, if your car has a job opened on it at the main dealer for anything at all, the update will be carried out.

They should be mentioning it to you that they are doing it, but it's such standard practise now for the lads on site that they may not mention it in nothing more than a genuine error through force of habbit. So if you know your car is affected and you don't want the update done, be sure to mention it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sure this is all over the Internet, read up on the various owners stripping parts off their cars before returning them. As VW had only specified driveable condition as part of the buy back.

Bumpers seats interiors wipers. They are stripping everything off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,818 ✭✭✭✭josip

listermint wrote: »
    Sure this is all over the Internet, read up on the various owners stripping parts off their cars before returning them. As VW had only specified driveable condition as part of the buy back.

Bumpers seats interiors wipers. They are stripping everything off them.

Fools, who will they sell them to?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Anyone post this yet? I found it rather clever.....and funny

http://jalopnik.com/this-vw-diesel-owner-is-about-to-turn-in-a-completely-s-1790289804

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Anyone post this yet? I found it rather clever.....and funny

http://jalopnik.com/this-vw-diesel-owner-is-about-to-turn-in-a-completely-s-1790289804

Hahaha how much is he getting for that stripped out shell. ... and the lads this side are happy to get a bit of plastic like kellogs used to put in the free yokes in cornflakes.

"So he drove to a buddy’s house this past Sunday, drank some beer, ate some pizza, and ripped a bunch of parts off his Golf without a care in the world if something broke."
    A great days entertainment to be fair if you ever get the chance to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

RedorDead wrote: »

To be honest I can see this backfiring on VW more than him.

Looks like his interpretation of the rules is 100% legit. But VW, of all the people in the world, are now cribbing about his actions not being in the "spirit" of things.

I don't think the defeat device was in the spirit of not choking people with sensitive lungs right across Europe and America but they seem to have gotten off pretty lightly on this side of the Atlantic!

Wow, reading more stories there they really really are making a PR mess of this over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I got the letter during the week. I'm not going to send my car in until there's more feedback about the results. I hate fixing things which are not broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I got the letter during the week. I'm not going to send my car in until there's more feedback about the results. I hate fixing things which are not broken.

They'll probably hound you with letters lol. Got a second letter to remind me i haven't brought it in yet and to forward details of anyone who's bought my car etc. My Nct is next month, i wonder if they will start asking for proof that it was updated to get your cert. You can be sure that will be next!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭9935452

Micky 32 wrote: »
    They'll probably hound you with letters lol. Got a second letter to remind me i haven't brought it in yet and to forward details of anyone who's bought my car etc. My Nct is next month, i wonder if they will start asking for proof that it was updated to get your cert. You can be sure that will be next!

Im on my 3rd letter . 1st 2 were to imform me there was a problem and to apologise for it. The next one is telling me to bring it in.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't think that you'd be fixing something that's not broken rather than you're getting something done to resolve an issue that doesn't, from a physics perspective, appear to have any scientific basis (i.e. fixing a emissions issue without affecting either power or consumption).

The recall is active nearly a year now, surely if there were dramatic, widespread negative consequences, we would have had heard of them by now.

There are very few genuine reports of negative findings.

I'm sure VAG understand that they couldn't introduce a "fix" that would make the car a worse drive than before, that would hardly help their image with the consumer, which is their biggest concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Awaiting a fix for a year now for my Passat cc.....got one letter at start of the year, nothing since..

But the good folks at a local dealership gave me a great trade in price so bye bye VW....hello Mercedes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

The recall is active nearly a year now, surely if there were dramatic, widespread negative consequences, we would have had heard of them by now.

There are very few genuine reports of negative findings.
    I'd love to see up-to-date statistics for how many vehicles have actually had the "fix".
    Especially given as of September 20th its was only 10%.
    I think information is also limited because the type of people that would notice, investigate and report on these changes, are the same ones who wouldn't get the "fix".
    I'm sure VAG understand that they couldn't introduce a "fix" that would make the car a worse drive than before, that would hardly help their image with the consumer, which is their biggest concern.
    Early reports, while admittedly a very limited number, have show just that though.
    It wouldn't surprise me either, as they really are between a rock and a hard place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

I'd love to see up-to-date statistics for how many vehicles have actually had the "fix".
    Especially given as of September 20th its was only 10%.
    I think information is also limited because the type of people that would notice, investigate and report on these changes, are the same ones who wouldn't get the "fix".

Early reports, while admittedly a very limited number, have show just that though.
    It wouldn't surprise me either, as they really are between a rock and a hard place.

Even taking into account that people who are happy dont go onto forums to say it ;) that's quite a few people with the same issue!

Report that VAG NOx software fix to 2014 Tiguan 2.0TDI 140 DSG has resulted in a significant clatter under load at speeds up to 40mph and engine speeds up to 1600rpm.

You'd swear they weren't driving a diesel or something.

8 vehicles, all from one nation, out of a few hundred thousand may not be enough for a strong case, wouldn't you think. It's more a combination of placebo and bandwagoning imo.

I'd echo the above but from a different angle, that the tens of thousands that have this update already done and are having no issues whatsoever aren't rushing online to say "everything's going fine".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

8 vehicles, all from one nation, out of a few hundred thousand may not be enough for a strong case, wouldn't you think. It's more a combination of placebo and bandwagoning imo.

I'd echo the above but from a different angle, that the tens of thousands that have this update already done and are having no issues whatsoever aren't rushing online to say "everything's going fine".
    There are a lot more than 8 people talking about issues that they've had in the comments below that article.
    Speaking of just the VW Tiguan, VW have brought out a further update for customers who have complained about engine noise.
    Effectively admitting that the original fix made the engine louder.
    There's also an unconfirmed letter in the comments from Audi UK, saying that the fix increases the EGR rate on affected engines.
    VW have made changes to the way the engine operates, some customers seem to be detailing these changes.
    If they have nothing to hide then they'd release a before and after of how the engine will perform.
    But they haven't as I'm guessing it's going to be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MackMack

Got my letter recently as well for my Octavia vRS. Not getting the "fix" done either as I don't believe it won't impact performance or fuel economy or cause problems to the engine/exhaust.

Wonder if the new programming in this software fix has accounted for the 8% biodiesel we'll be using from January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

The Federal Bureau of Investigation has arrested a Volkswagen AG executive on charges of conspiracy to defraud the United States, the New York Times reported on Monday.

Oliver Schmidt, who headed the company's regulatory compliance office in the U.S. from 2014 to March 2015, was arrested on Saturday by federal investigators in Florida, the newspaper said, citing people familiar with the matter.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-usa-idUSKBN14T0JA

Advertisement