Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EPA says Volkswagen cheated on emissions with 482,000 diesel cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭afatbollix

The pricks sent a 14 million page document from the US case to the court and said it was all in that!

They are just trying to delay the court and when that didn't work walked out.

I've had a VW for 18 months now, Lucky on a lease from VW but will never go VW again or diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭josip

Presumably VW will not want to make public in any intelligible form the fix they have implemented?
    If they do it will be fairly tempting to pick holes in it and point out the probable detrimental effect it will have on the cars' performance/components' lifespans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Bench warrant time..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭noelf

Judge Mary Devins said .. "I'm trying very hard to leave aside and totally ignore the bizarrely stunt like nature of the actions of a member of a counsel and the representatives of a very large firm of solicitors in Dublin representing a global firm" ."It was probably one of the most unusual things I have seen in many years" She also said that a discovery request "was not complied with". Hausfeld a law firm that is involved in a class action against Volkswagen in the U.S. is working with Irish lawyers to gather material for cases in Germany which has limited discovery rules compared with Ireland or the U.S. Would love to be at the next court session .. that is if you could get in the door ..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

noelf wrote: »
    ..............Would love to be at the next court session .. that is if you could get in the door ..:)

Is the date known?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

maximum12 wrote: »
    Not so ridiculous. Vw are clearly very worried about and are showing complete disrespect for the court.

I don't own one of these cars but the brand is devalued in my mind. I wouldn't buy a diesel vw after this.

I'm also annoyed that thousands of these sh1t boxes are churning out harmful emissions and damaging public health.

Personally i can't wait to get my hands on the 2.0 TDi BiTurbo 240ps Passat i'm ordering for 171 :D but you can sleep because the emissions system on this beast has the NOx all under control ;)

For the record though it's not just VW doing it, well whether Opel lied about it or not, i saw a documentary about this issue where they tested a 2014 2.0 TDI passat and as predicted they discovered the cheat mode. The N0x increased whatever amount it was predictably. They tested the Opel ( think it was a new Zafira) the N0x went off the scale:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,518 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Personally i can't wait to get my hands on the 2.0 TDi BiTurbo 240ps Passat i'm ordering for 171 :D but you can sleep because the emissions system on this beast has the NOx all under control ;)

For the record though it's not just VW doing it, well whether Opel lied about it or not, i saw a documentary about this issue where they tested a 2014 2.0 TDI passat and as predicted they discovered the cheat mode. The N0x increased whatever amount it was predictably. They tested the Opel ( think it was a new Zafira) the N0x went off the scale:eek:

Was comtemplating a 240 passat myself as well in 172.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Yeah that was on BBC panorama. Opel wouldn't comment on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,518 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Yeah that was on BBC panorama. Opel wouldn't comment on it.

Even though VW may have lied at least they produce less NOx than some of the other "sh1t boxes "out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Even though VW may have lied at least they produce less NOx than some of the other "sh1t boxes "out there.

ahh shur then its all ok....

I find it hard to get my head around the fact that a small court in mayo may be the one to show the suggested EU fix is possibly a sham.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭noelf

mickdw wrote: »
    I find it hard to get my head around the fact that a small court in mayo may be the one to show the suggested EU fix is possibly a sham.

Perhaps that's why VW legal team pulled the stunt of walking out of court and threatening the women that took the case with her paying the full legal costs ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

mickdw wrote: »

Why? A nobody footballer called Marc Bosman changed football forever. It can happen when somebody decides to stand up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

Hopefully your diesel will be taxed out of existence before then. They did it to petrol cars in 2008.

Existing owners shouldn't be punished but new diesels should be discouraged.

Why? A nobody footballer called Marc Bosman changed football forever. It can happen when somebody decides to stand up.

Don't great me wrong. I'm delighted. Just seems unreal that the suggested fix could get the green light without someone with sufficient power asking to at least have a look at it to see that it does what it says it does - on behalf of the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Absolutely true although he had to sacrifice his career as the wheels of the legal system moved slowly. The same will happen here and I hope the litigant can distance herself from it for her own wellbeing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Just wondering has anyone on here had the software update done? Apologies if it's in another thread somewhere, I couldn't find anything obvious. Got the letter for mine and I'm wondering is it wise to get it done i.e. does it affect performance or mpg?

Hopefully your diesel will be taxed out of existence before then. They did it to petrol cars in 2008.

Hate to disappoint you but it's not going to happen anytime soon, so i will still be buying my sh!tbox, can't wait :D

Seriously though, newer diesel emitt less nox than older ones , especially as my next car uses adblue which destroys most of the nox emissions out the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

Hate to disappoint you but it's not going to happen anytime soon, so i will still be buying my sh!tbox, can't wait :D

Seriously though, newer diesel emitt less nox than older ones , especially as my next car uses adblue which destroys most of the nox emissions out the back.

I would agree that the adblue assists in reducing emissions. But will the engine still run as normal if you chose to not top up the adblue tank when it runs out. Obviously some owners will top up, but others may not be so conscientious. I read recently it is about 150 euro to fill the adblue tank, but I could not be certain.

It would appear that lobby groups are mustering up strength and campaigning for a increase in tax on diesel oil.

http://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/group-piles-on-the-pressure-for-higher-taxes-on-diesel-35045654.html

Apparently resale values are hanging on for VW and VW engines too.

http://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/vw-used-values-hold-up-despite-emissions-scandal-35045652.html

• Advertisement

I would agree that the adblue assists in reducing emissions. But will the engine still run as normal if you chose to not top up the adblue tank when it runs out. Obviously some owners will top up, but others may not be so conscientious. I read recently it is about 150 euro to fill the adblue tank, but I could not be certain.

It would appear that lobby groups are mustering up strength and campaigning for a increase in tax on diesel oil.

http://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/group-piles-on-the-pressure-for-higher-taxes-on-diesel-35045654.html

http://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/vw-used-values-hold-up-despite-emissions-scandal-35045652.html

ABC101 wrote: »

The Adblue lasts quite well, a tank in excess of 10k before having to top it up. If the car ( VW anyway) runs out it won't start the next time you put the key in but gives you lots of warning of a mileage countdown on the MFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The car won't drive if the AdBlu runs out, or technically it will finish it's journey but it won't allow you to restart if the tank has less than an estimated 100kms of AdBlu in it.

AdBlu at forecourts seems very expensive. When added to a service it's around €1.50 a litre and the average car holds 12-15l.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

So getting rid of the spare wheel is a step forward in weight reduction and then the addition of the Adblue tank brings you straight back to where you were, so much for progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭oscar2

Youd almost have to laugh at owners of diesel engine yokes complaining of a rattling from the engine after the update as if it wasn't a clatterbox before.

The car won't drive if the AdBlu runs out, or technically it will finish it's journey but it won't allow you to restart if the tank has less than an estimated 100kms of AdBlu in it.

AdBlu at forecourts seems very expensive. When added to a service it's around €1.50 a litre and the average car holds 12-15l.

Ok much cheaper than I thought.

I'm very surprised that the engine will not start with the tank empty, however if that's the way it's designed fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Pretty sure ad blue is 79c a litre in topaz.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Pretty sure ad blue is 79c a litre in topaz.

Unless they were incorrectly priced/ stacked, I was in a re.store recently and a 2 litre bottle was €9.99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,705 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Unless they were incorrectly priced/ stacked, I was in a re.store recently and a 2 litre bottle was €9.99

Buy it from the pump - there's AdBlue pumps at practically all truck-stops that you can use to fill your car. Have seen it at sites branded Applegreen, Top, Topaz and GreatGas in the past month, all less then 80cpl.

The markup on bottles of AdBlue is crazy.

Advertisement