Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Autumn/Winter 2015/16

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

thomasj wrote: »
    Massive hail shower in Dublin 15 just now and its MASSIVE! Came out of nowhere

Was on the M50 in that shower the place went white in seconds and traffic stopped.. Freak shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,079 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Lightning off the mayo coast in the past 20 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

Hi all,

I am in Newcastle West in Limerick, and I think I might just have witnessed ball lightning.

There was a heavy hail shower, which had significant winds and up drafts. I saw a single flash of lightning which was pretty close, 5 seconds between flash and thunder.

The next strike was something I have never seen before. The area lit up blue. It reflected in windows all around the housing estate. This lasted for about 3 seconds, then a huge "normal" lightning flash hit the church that is about 500 meters away.

Has anyone ever seen a phenomenon like this before?! I really hope it was ball lightning!

Ken

In the mid to late 1990's I witnessed lightning shooting towards the sky in a sort of a mushroom cloud. I never witnessed anything like it before or since, and it's only years later in a BBC documentary I think, it was talking about it but for the life of Me I can't remember what it was ? Maybe it was ball lightning ?

It was distant, and the next day it was on the radio of a really bad Thunderstorm over Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

I certainly have never seen anything like it. There are no power lines or transformers around so it can't have been an arc. I am a bit freaked out now, but also in awe of what I saw! Had my daughter not seen it too then I'm not sure I would believe myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Kencollins wrote: »
    I certainly have never seen anything like it. There are no power lines or transformers around so it can't have been an arc. I am a bit freaked out now, but also in awe of what I saw! Had my daughter not seen it too then I'm not sure I would believe myself.

The prolonged flash you saw could've been spider lightning

http://youtu.be/Y5CzaVctGWg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

In the mid to late 1990's I witnessed lightning shooting towards the sky in a sort of a mushroom cloud. I never witnessed anything like it before or since, and it's only years later in a BBC documentary I think, it was talking about it but for the life of Me I can't remember what it was ? Maybe it was ball lightning ?

It was distant, and the next day it was on the radio of a really bad Thunderstorm over Wicklow.

Sounds like it could have been a Sprite

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprite_(lightning)

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Limerick city, very loud clap of thunder accompanying a short intense period of heavy hail/rain.

Some Snow showers here in the South end of Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

2 recent sferics up north.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,079 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Lightning north of castlebar in the past 20 minutes followed by a lovely snow shower....1 degree...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Lightning north of castlebar in the past 20 minutes followed by a lovely snow shower....1 degree...

I thought I saw a big flash just before 7, nothing more came from it though.

Advertisement