Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Autumn/Winter 2015/16

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭fastrac94

pad199207 wrote: »
    Just seen a flash out to my east , could have sworn it was lightning

Where's your east?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Am near Rathnew Co. Wicklow and am pretty sure I saw a flash and heard a distant rumble around 8 mins ago.

You did.

http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

A lot of development to our west and south at the moment. Red and cyan show develpment (cooling of cloudtops, in °C/hr, bottom right legend), blue dissipation. From here

373189.GIF

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Thanks Gaoth Laidir for sharing that web site ,treasure throve of information , no doubt will keep me busy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Just awoken by the loudest clap of thunder I've ever heard. In fact it was the loudest noise I've ever heard! Initially I thought a building had collapsed right outside my window!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭weadick

Thunder and lightening storm in Cork. Loudest I have ever heard!

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

Seems to be a good lot off the cork coast. I haven't heard any yet south side of city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

weadick wrote: »
    Thunder and lightening storm in Cork. Loudest I have ever heard!
    Where in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

Colser wrote:
    Where in Cork?

Looking at lightning radar & friends it seems like east cork. They were spoken by it, they said they never heard anything like it just like above poster. I'm south side city & didn't hear anything only torrential rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Plenty of strikes off the South Coast now

373205.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

aisling86 wrote: »
    Looking at lightning radar & friends it seems like east cork. They were spoken by it, they said they never heard anything like it just like above poster. I'm south side city & didn't hear anything only torrential rain.

Spoke to a few people since, everyone has said the same thing, phenomenally loud! One friend unfortunately crashed into a herd of cows running along the main road that had escaped their field after being startled by the lightning/thunder.

To the more experienced in here, is there any particular reason why the thunder would have been so much louder than usual?

MidMan25 wrote: »

To the more experienced in here, is there any particular reason why the thunder would have been so much louder than usual?

I'm no expert but possibly due to the close proximity to the lightning ? probably a highly charged cloud ?

I've heard a few mental claps in my time, some that you can feel like being close up to a high powered loudspeaker up full blast, outdoors of course.

The loudest being one November I think in 1995 after that insanely fine Summer we had, I was inside and heard a rumble and headed out side then a min or two later everything went incredibly bright and white as a huge bolt of lightning hit an ESB pole and transformer this was about 50 meters or less away so it was more than too close for comfort I didn't see the bolt because it was hidden by the gable end of the neighbours house, the thunder was like an explosion at that close proximity rattled my guts it was that intense and I was literally shaking with the fright. The thunder seemed to have rattled and echoed for what felt like over 2 mins. The lightning was like the moment of a nuclear detonation , that incredible light.

The electricity went instantly and I remember for about 10 mins this really loud buzzing noise from the electrical system or grid like it was bleeding the charge from the lightning ?

It was really weird out of the blue and then there was not as much as a rumble after it that night.

It was the talk of the school for a few days after.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭pad199207

Recent lightning in Dublin Bay

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

pad199207 wrote: »
    Recent lightning in Dublin Bay

I thought I heard thunder about 5 minutes ago...I was not imagining it then!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some activity on the W / SW coast today with current spherics well off the coast, forecast for wintry showers and more hail showers tomorrow possibly producing a few sparks?

14wumPx.gif

igDY41E.gif

LRYz5Xv.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just heard thunder here in Donegal

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

A nice few flashes and rumbles just now (after 5a.m.) in Limerick city. Hravy squally showers too, more flashes to come I hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

A nice few flashes and rumbles just now (after 5a.m.) in Limerick city. Heavy squally showers too, more flashes to come I hope!

West limerick ATM, woken by the rain, fairly heavy about 20 mins ago, accompanied by a long thunder clap. Icelandic site http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html has a good bit of activity since 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

A nice few flashes and rumbles just now (after 5a.m.) in Limerick city. Hravy squally showers too, more flashes to come I hope!

There was a strike up the road from me. It caused the phones to tingle and temporarily knocked out my router. Everything is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

In East Limerick, the sheet rain and couple of almighty claps of thunder did a great job of waking me. Haven't seen/heard rain and thunder like that in a good few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

Very loud clap of thunder here around 5:30am, wall shaking. The 3yr old slept through it at first, but the dog throwing herself at the doors and barking woke him up. I have been downstairs watching peppa pig ever since!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭pad199207

One of the most severe squalls ive ever witnessed has just gone through here in Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Loudest clap of thunder ever experienced by me was heard last night. Woke the whole street up at 3am. Really was something else. Power was gone when we woke (back now). Really startling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Strike in Cashel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Thunder and lightening just now in Donegal Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Loud rumble of thunder, s.e. Sligo

Lots of Squally looking showers moving in now. Some convective activity likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Lots of Squally looking showers moving in now. Some convective activity likely.

A couple of strikes showing on sat 24 now, could be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

recent strike, west clare

• Advertisement

recent strike, west clare

Where abouts, nothing here in Kilrush.

Advertisement