Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Autumn/Winter 2015/16

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Explosive thunder in Galway wow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Thunder and lightning in Galway
    Short but sweet display of lightning over the city - lovely stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

And in the middle of the lightning the Coastguard helicopter from Sligo Rescue 118 was landing at Galway Hospital, great guys

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Big blast of thunder here in Donegal followed by heavy hail shower

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

Large thunder and lightening storm (mostly sheet lightening lighting the whole sky) going on the past 30 minutes or so here, I watched it going up Lough Swilly from my bedroom window. Ended with an almighty hail shower just now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Some very strong winds associated with a convective shower in the far north of the country in the past hour.

A gusty to 78mph was reported at Magilligan (Derry) and 67mph at Malin Head!!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

Danno wrote: »
    Seen the flash from that, I think, circa 6.15pm? I saw the west sky light up from hilly ground in south Laois!

Yep was about then. Musta been it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Pretty bad thunder directly overhead in Achill now. Hope we don't get a repeat of Christmas Eve 2013 when a lightening strike left the entire island without power.

And now we have torrential hail eek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Rumbles of Thunder and Hailstones in Galway City at the moment

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Nice convection going on today. Big showers of hail and sleet and good sunny spells, no thunder observed here in Ardfert.

wB45qkX.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

:pac:
    Lumi wrote: »
    Rumbles of Thunder and Hailstones in Galway City at the moment

Impressive hail shower in Oranmore at that time, nice mammatus off the back of it. No pics this time...

• Registered Users Posts: 38 green and yellow

thunder, lightning and hail there a while ago in donegal

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A lot of spherics in Donegal this evening and power out there in a few places.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

There was a bad accident near J17 on the motorway as a result of that hail shower earlier today. The motorway was closed westbound for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2015122906_201512271820_1_stormforecast.xml
    The low west of Ireland is the second focus, when its occlusion touches the west coast of Ireland between 19-23Z (GFS-12Z timing) and moves off to the north. 35 m/s deep layer shear and over 12 m/s 0-1 km would pass over western Ireland with steep mid level lapse rates overlapping the surface occlusion wrapped around the low. A band of high SREH is aligned with the occlusion. A field of 25 m/s mean low level winds surrounds the low. There is some chance of a tornado or convective severe wind gust.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭fastrac94

showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2015122906_201512271820_1_stormforecast.xml

What does that mean in lay mans terms?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Chances of funnel clouds/ weak tornadoes and also strong gusts filtering down from higher levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

It means there's a chance of a convective spell in that circled area. If you live in that approx area you should pack an umbrella tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Met eireann also going along them lines. "Strong and gusty southeast winds will moderate with the clearance, and become mainly southwest, but there is a risk of very strong and gusty westerly winds later in the afternoon on west coasts"

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭fastrac94

Hal1 wrote: »
    It means there's a chance of a convective spell in that circled area. If you live in that approx area you should pack an umbrella tomorrow.

I do! Will an umbrella be enough?

• Advertisement

Oh I'd say bring out those waist high wellies and maybe a small boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭droidman123

fastrac94 wrote: »
    I do! Will an umbrella be enough?

An umbrella will be as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dazzo

Hal1 wrote: »
    Oh I'd say bring out those waist high wellies and maybe a small boat.

Or maybe your Darth Wader suit!

Ba-dum-tish-300x277.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lights flickering then a loud clap of thunder.. never expected this!. South Kerry 400 asl

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thunder lightning and heavy rain here now.. South Kerry 400 asl

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Nice active cell off the Clare coast now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Nice active cell off the Clare coast now

Wish I had of seen that earlier, would have listened out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭pad199207

Just seen a flash out to my east , could have sworn it was lightning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Am near Rathnew Co. Wicklow and am pretty sure I saw a flash and heard a distant rumble around 8 mins ago.

Advertisement